PDA

View Full Version : Misguided Published Expert Food Critic At Large?

August 24th, 2011, 03:44
Breaded chicken breast with fried banana and pineapple rings.
Try Google
Should not be called Maryland chicken. The dish does not exist in Maryland food culture. You won't find the dish on any menu in Maryland. This is an outrage!
Obviously my dear "published food expert which you claim to be, you are misguided and incorrect once again but this time in print.
Chicken Maryland or Maryland Chicken
Chicken Maryland From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicken Maryland or Maryland Chicken is a historic dish associated with the U.S. state of Maryland. In its home base, it consists of fried chicken served with a cream gravy.[1}

Many Maryland families have their own heirloom recipes for this dish and it remains a regional specialty in Eastern Shore restaurants.

The primary factor which distinguishes Maryland fried chicken from other Southern fried chicken is that rather than cooking the chicken in several inches of oil or shortening, the chicken is pan-fried in a heavy (traditionally cast-iron) skillet and covered tightly after the initial browning so that the chicken steams as well as fries. Milk or cream is then added to the pan juices to create a white cream gravy, another Maryland characteristic.[2]

Escoffier had a recipe for "Chicken ├а la Maryland" in his landmark cookbook Ma Cuisine, but there is no canonical version. Often the chicken is marinated in a buttermilk marinade. Breading recipes vary in use of egg or buttermilk and the seasoning of the flour; the seasoning of the cream gravy also varies widely, although gravy is a signature aspect of the dish.
:sign5: :sign5: :sign5: :sign5:

August 24th, 2011, 04:41
Wiki is wrong. I am right. People in Maryland know nothing about this so called Maryland chicken. Yes, I do know.

Maybe it's something from the civil war era. I'm telling you the truth, not Wiki bullshit. People in Maryland wouldn't know what the hell you are talking about if you asked for Maryland chicken.

Here are MODERN Maryland American food menus --

http://www.thepotomacgrill.com/pdf/PotomacGrillMenu.pdf

http://www.blacksbarandkitchen.com/menu_dinr.html

http://www.monocacycrossing.com/dinnerent.html

Crab cakes? YES. Everyone in Maryland knows. Maryland chicken? That's absurd.

I am not kidding you. You will not find Maryland chicken in Maryland.

Maybe some fool here knows how to read Wiki. I actually know Maryland food. Game set match.

Note this and note this well --
Just as you won't find "American Fried Rice" as served in Thailand with HOT DOGS anywhere in America, you will not find Maryland Chicken in Maryland. It is a non started in Maryland. Talk to 100 Marylanders and not one will know what you are talking about unless they have been to a foreign country that serves this fake Maryland dish. Case closed.

My dear, once again you are incorrect!
If you go to Wiiepedia you will plainly see that it states that AMERICAN FRIED RICE IS A THAI VERSION! It does not mean that it is an American Dish served in America although it states that it is starting to be served in Thai restaurants in America.

American fried riceFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

American fried riceAmerican fried rice (Thai: р╕Вр╣Йр╕▓р╕зр╕Ьр╕▒р╕ р╕нр╣Ар╕бр╕гр╕┤р╕Бр╕ р╕Щ, RTGS: khao phat amerikan, IPA: [k╩░├в╦Рw p╩░├аt ╩Фame╦Рrikan]; Malay: Nasi Goreng USA) is a Thai fried rice dish with "American" side ingredients like fried chicken, ham, hot dogs, raisins, ketchup, and croutons. Other ingredients like pineapple are optional. Because it was invented during the Vietnam War era to serve to United States Marine Corps and United States Air Force personnel stationed in Thailand, it is generally not found in Thai restaurants outside Thailand. With the recent[when?] proliferation of Thai restaurants, American fried rice is now appearing on Thai restaurant menus in the United States. The name comes from the fact that most of the ingredients are American or at least Western in origin.

The Malaysian equivalent of American fried rice, called Nasi Goreng USA, is made with many of the same ingredients.[1]

you really should get your facts straight before claiming to be an "expert" .

August 24th, 2011, 05:06
White Coffee PotFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
White Coffee Pot Family Inns was a privately held Baltimore, Maryland, restaurant chain and coffeeshop popular from the 1940s until the 1980s. During the 1960s and 1970s, they opened a chain of fast-food restaurants White Coffee Pot, Jr. Major competitors included national chains Gino's (which sold Kentucky Fried Chicken), Denny's and Friendly's

The last White Coffee Pot restaurant closed in Brooklyn Park, Maryland, in 1993. The company shared ownership with the Horn and Horn Smorgasbord Cafeteria chain,[1] and some locations are now Cactus Willie's all-you-can-eat restaurants.

The White Coffee Pot restaurants were known for their bread pudding and Maryland-style fried chicken.

Actress Veronica Lake was a waitress at a White Coffee Pot restaurant in the 1960s

Narakmak
August 24th, 2011, 05:11
Maryland style fried chicken is just fried chicken. No different from southern fried chicken. Marylanders do not eat fried chicken with cream sauce. Again, get this through your thick skull -- Marylanders don't know of this dish -- Maryland chicken.

lonelywombat
August 24th, 2011, 06:24
There is even a dedicated site for chicken maryland aka maryland chicken.
sounds yummy

http://www.chickenmaryland.com/

also this very old recipe
http://southernfood.about.com/od/friedc ... bln488.htm (http://southernfood.about.com/od/friedchicken/r/bln488.htm)

Recipe for Maryland fried chicken from an old cookbook.
Ingredients:

1 chicken, 3 pounds
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs, well beaten
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup minced salt pork
salt and pepper

Preparation:
Cut chicken in pieces. In a wide, shallow bowl, combine beaten eggs, salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons water. Place the bread crumbs in another bowl or plastic bag. Dip chicken pieces in the egg mixture then roll in bread crumbs.

Fry salt pork in a heavy skillet until crisp and browned. Add chicken to the skillet; cook slowly until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with butter; cover and transfer to a preheated 325┬░ oven. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

August 24th, 2011, 07:42
Thanks lonely! But remember within 4 hours he has polled everyone in Maryland and everyone said he was correct! He states that Maryland chiccken may have been "ancient" but a quick search shows at least one well known chain IN MARYLAND was very popular for it as recent as 1993. I did not know that Maryland chicken was Mexican nor did I think 1993 was ancient! Well SHIT, I was born in 1955! I must be a MUMMY created around the same time as the pyramids of Egypt! Oh he's gonna make me pee my pants.

:sign5: :sign5:

DCbob
August 24th, 2011, 10:24
Here is a way to see 6 recipes for Maryland Fried Chicken.

http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/m ... ed-chicken (http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/maryland-fried-chicken)

Narakmak
August 24th, 2011, 14:42
Go to Maryland. Believe me, you will not find Chicken Maryland or Maryland Chicken on any restaurant menus. Ask for it and you'll get a blank look. Order fried chicken in Maryland and you will get fried chicken that is basically the same thing as you get in California. There will be no cream sauce; there will be no bananas. My theory on how this oddness got to Thailand is this. Back in the olden days when this dish may have been in fashion, some American went to somewhere in Europe, probably England and introduced this dish. Thus it came to Thailand by way of Europe, NOT Maryland. In today's Maryland, believe me, you DO NOT find Maryland Chicken! This kind of thing happens with immigration. For example the Germans in the American middle west look back in time to a frozen time in German history. The parts of their German culture including food culture that they do have is based on OLD TIME Germany, not modern Germany. The same with this Chicken Maryland, that is old time Maryland. BTW, I can't find any evidence at all that the fried chicken served at the DEAD food chain, White Coffee Pot, was cream sauce fried chicken anyway! I would bet it was regular fried chicken with no cream sauce.

allieb
August 24th, 2011, 14:44
What about Fairyland chicken.!!

August 24th, 2011, 15:40
Thank you DCbob. So I guess Wkipedia is absolutely wrong above when they say it is served with cream sauce and it is different than fried chicken. :sign5:
You see all the recipes for Cicken maryland and maryland Chicken but they are wrong.
It was served in at least one chain of restaurants which you call ancient around the civil war and Wikipedia says it was served up til the closing of the chain in 1993.
Namarak your post is full of maybe this and probably that. You just dont know shit about it but youre guessing.

Obviously a depressed old troll who is a PHONEY. Everyone on the internet is wrong but Namarak. Namarak? Is Food.com wrong also??
I suggest you start writing emails to them all and telling them that you are a published Food critic and that they are all full of shit! I am done with this thread now. You cant even Google and Wikipedia things and admit when you're wrong.
:evil4: :evil4: :evil4: :evil4:

Narakmak
August 24th, 2011, 16:16
You won't find the dish on modern Maryland menus. That's a fact and that settles this once and for all.

August 24th, 2011, 16:23
I give up! Everyone is wrong except you and THATS A FACT! :sign5: :sign5:

lonelywombat
August 24th, 2011, 18:10
Narakmak I am still waiting for your reply as a former street walker, a to how you would reorganize the go go scene to eliminate the pimps.

When you were slutting your box you claim you did not have a pimp.

How can that work in Pattaya?

August 24th, 2011, 18:23
Here is the link: Maryland Fried Chicken Restaurants [url]http://marylandfriedchicken.com[url] It is a chain of many restaurants

DCbob
August 25th, 2011, 03:28
You won't find the dish on modern Maryland menus. That's a fact and that settles this once and for all.
I moved from Washington, DC on October 29, 2010. I have eaten Maryland Fried Chicken many times in the suburbs of Washington, DC, which happens to be in Maryland. Sorry, you did not pay my bill so you will just have to take my word for it.

Narakmak
August 25th, 2011, 18:43
Here is the link: Maryland Fried Chicken Restaurants [url]http://marylandfriedchicken.com[url] It is a chain of many restaurants
That chain serves regular fried chicken. No cream sauce, No bananas.

Narakmak
August 25th, 2011, 18:44
I moved from Washington, DC on October 29, 2010. I have eaten Maryland Fried Chicken many times in the suburbs of Washington, DC, which happens to be in Maryland. Sorry, you did not pay my bill so you will just have to take my word for it.
Great. So you're actually saying you ordered Maryland Fried Chicken in Maryland and you were served fried chicken with CREAM SAUCE and BANANAS? I don't believe you. Name the restaurants. Their exact names. I will call them up if they don't have a website.

DCbob
August 25th, 2011, 20:50
You put words in my mouth. I did not say what was in the sauce. I did not say it had bananas. It was with a white sauce.
Now I am not a foodie, but I remember getting it at Crisfield Seafood Restaurant in Silver Spring. Before we went, I told someone that I did not eat seafood, but they told me about the chicken so there you go.
Had it another time at Rays in Silver Spring.
I also had it many times while I was in the U.S. Navy.

Narakmak
August 25th, 2011, 21:47
I didn't put words in your mouth. That's what this controversy is about. Is Chicken Maryland as it is known in the UK, Thailand, etc, a common dish in modern Maryland, and the definition of Chicken Maryland is fried chicken with a cream sauce and sometimes bananas? I know for a 100 percent fact it is NOT a common dish in Maryland.

The people in the UK, Thailand etc. eating cream sauce fried chicken with bananas in a dish named after Maryland are running around thinking this is standard popular fare in Maryland, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I have been to Crisfields many times and never noticed any chicken on the menu. That is a VERY VERY OLD TIME place and I wouldn't be surprised if the decrepit chef there knows how to cook chicken in a style from the old CIVIL WAR days. So I'll believe you on that, if it had a WHITE SAUCE, that's good enough, you found some Chicken Maryland in Maryland. Congratulations! That doesn't mean it is a common thing to find. In fact, it is massively rare as it is an ANCIENT dish. Rays online menu does not have the dish, but OK, if you say so, but it's not on their online menu, so I am skeptical.

Just checked Crisfields online menu. They do have pan fried chic ken. The ancient cream sauce chicken is pan fried. They don't mention a sauce, but again I can imagine in such an ancient old time restaurant as Crisfields they might possibly do that old style. Honestly, I have never known anyone to ever order anything but seafood in Crisfields anyway, but OK, you win the prize, you found Chicken Maryland in today's Maryland!

Pan Fried Chicken

http://www.crisfieldseafoodrestaurant.com/menu.html

Notice that this Holy Grail "Chicken Maryland" IN Maryland isn't even called Chicken Maryland in Maryland!

Patexpat
August 25th, 2011, 22:54
, but OK, you win the prize, you found Chicken Maryland in today's Maryland!

Pan Fried Chicken

Notice that this Holy Grail "Chicken Maryland" IN Maryland isn't even called Chicken Maryland in Maryland!

So be a gentleman an admit you are wrong! :headbang:

Narakmak
August 25th, 2011, 23:45
, but OK, you win the prize, you found Chicken Maryland in today's Maryland!

Pan Fried Chicken

So be a gentleman an admit you are wrong! :headbang:
About what? People in Maryland don't eat cream sauce banana fried chicken. It is very rare to find at a restaurant there. fried chicken in a white sauce! I know I am right about that. I never said you couldn't find one or some rare restaurants that have it. The dish called Chicken Maryland is not known in Maryland -- FACT.

I am sorry I said I don't believe the guy that he found some, to a limited extent, no bananas and not called Chicken Maryland. As I know the place he said he found it, in that rare case, as that place is more like a FOOD MUSEUM than a modern restaurant, I can buy that. Again, a very rare exception. Order (American) fried chicken in Maryland except at such a rare place and you will get fried chicken the same as you would get in Chicago or Denver, NO white/cream sauce, and no bananas.

August 26th, 2011, 15:11
NAKAMARARAKA IDIOT!! I never said it was with cream sauce with BANANAS AND PINEAPPLE!!
Dont put words in MY mouth!
If you reread what I said, I quoted Wikipedia and Google saying that it was an original MARYLAND DISH and it was fried differently and it had cream sauce.
I ALSO stated that there are many variations!!!!GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL!!! MANY VARIATIONS!!
I said that I HAVE HAD IT with FRIED BANANAS and FRIED PINEAPPLL RINGS.
I never said it was served with CREAM SAUCE AND FRIED BANANAS. MANY variations.

Breaded chicken breast with fried banana and pineapple rings.
Try Google

Not only did you not understand that.....
You first quoted that NOBODY in Maryland ever heard of the dish.... WRONG!!
You said it never originated in Maryland...... WRONG!!
You said it COULD BE ANCIENT around the CIVIL WAR..... WRONG!!!
You then saw someone had it in late 1800's not the time of the civil war...... WRONG!!
And then you see it was a SIGNATURE DISH in a restaurant chain in MARYLAND as late as 1993!!! 18 years aint ancient!!! DUH!!
See all your stupid mistakes on Maryland Chicken also known as Chicken Maryland here and under GAY THAILAND Re: Happy Place Boys and Stuffed Crab Sept 6th at MONTYS??

SO stupid expert gourmet food critic at large..... Mr EXPERT on all foods internationally, especially Maryland Chicken and Mexican Food, [u]YOU FUCKED UP many many times and now it is time for you to say, you were sorry!

Such an IDIOT.
You also said I have something against you because you called me a PIMP and the BOYS in the BARS as WHORES.I dont hate you for that. It just shows you are really an ignorant asshole. Do you have any friends? Do you speak to them as though you were the high and mighty published food God? I doubt it as anyone would be IGNORANT to put up with that mouth of yours. Thats why you sit all day all nite on the forum! :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9:

Smiles
August 26th, 2011, 19:50
:laughing3: Drunk, or an excellent approximation of it. Obviously in-the-state, crazed CAPITALIZATIONS (Jingthing/Reggie-like), in desperate need of counselling. (I mean Justme). Give it a rest Babe.

For what it's worth, the threshold of the bar he runs is now far off the beaten track for this member.

August 26th, 2011, 20:04
Hey Smiles, I can now sigh in relief that I wont be meeting you. I will miss out on that face to face where you may have continued your worthless barage on me since day one. For what reason I dont know and I dont care. Your problem.
The obvious here is that this man is a blowhard calling boys WHORES and Go Go bars PIMPS. Oh sorry, there I go again with caps. please forgive me.
He makes statements that are proven to be false, keeps changing what he is referring to, in actuality realizing he is a bafoon and then you pop in and make a stupid comment which has nothing to do with anything relevant.
You are funny! No, you are sad.
Take care and nice not to have met you!
:occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9:

Smiles
August 26th, 2011, 23:14
Cool.
And I'm certain that will be the one and only time I will think of you in that way: you being the epitome of un-cool, as evidenced by your angry and hyperbolic post(s).

Beachlover
August 30th, 2011, 01:24
Narakmak I am still waiting for your reply as a former street walker, a to how you would reorganize the go go scene to eliminate the pimps.
I'm still waiting for Narakmak to logically explain how he can be against pimps/middlemen while NOT being against prostitution at the same time. He's just a MORON. :rolling:

Hey Smiles, I can now sigh in relief that I wont be meeting you. I will miss out on that face to face where you may have continued your worthless barage on me since day one. For what reason I dont know and I dont care.
Justme, Smiles will give any new member here a worthless barrage of his mind without any justifiable reason. The real reason is he's a big fucking cranky old cunt full of his own self importance who loves to berate people and look down on everyone.

:sign5:

the threshold of the bar he runs is now far off the beaten track for this member.
Hey, Smiles... this graph represents your moon shaped head and the thresholds of your cognitive abilities slipping away. :rolling:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/SmilesMoonGraph-end-small.jpg

lonelywombat
August 31st, 2011, 11:56
Another expert has entered the debate on Maryland Chicken. Monty.

Tonight he puts his seal of approval on this dish tonight. Not even as expensive as some Lebanese restaurants.

Hi All Montys wednesday menu

1/ Soup of the Day.

2/ Garden Salad.

3/ Monty's Chicken Maryland, (The way It should be )
Deep Fried breaded Chicken, Mash Potato, Corn on the Cob, Pineapple & Banana Pan fried with Brandy, And Creamy Chicken Gravy on the side.

4/ Monty's Home Made Ice-Cream & Fresh Fruit.

I believe he still has good wines by the glass on offer.

4 Course Only 199 bht.
And do try our 99 bht All day breakfast.

thonglor55
August 31st, 2011, 13:25
I'm still waiting for Narakmak to logically explain how he can be against pimps/middlemen while NOT being against prostitution at the same time. What a tool. Here's the world's expert on being an entrepreneur and he doesn't understand that the self-employed don't need middlemen/facilitators unless they serve a purpose. Pimps generally serve no purpose for prostitutes unless to provide some form of brothel - such as a go-go bar. It's so obvious that someone can be in favor of prostitution but against pimps; what's not obvious is how someone who claims to have been a self-made millionaire at 15 (Beachbore) can fail Entrepreneurship 101.

Beachlover
August 31st, 2011, 22:25
Montys wednesday menu
Must be tough trying to make a living serving a four course meal for six bucks...

Narakmak
September 1st, 2011, 01:08

Tonight he puts his seal of approval on this dish tonight. Not even as expensive as some Lebanese restaurants.

1/ Soup of the Day.

2/ Garden Salad.

Deep Fried breaded Chicken, Mash Potato, Corn on the Cob, Pineapple & Banana Pan fried with Brandy, And Creamy Chicken Gravy on the side.

4 Course Only 199 bht.

If the chicken wasn't PAN FRIED in a big old black skillet it was not Maryland Fried Chicken.

September 1st, 2011, 07:26

1/ Soup of the Day.

2/ Garden Salad.

4 Course Only 199 bht.

If the chicken wasn't PAN FRIED in a big old black skillet it was not Maryland Fried Chicken.

At 199 baht, who gives a flying fuck!

Beachlover
September 1st, 2011, 10:49
In Sydney... a three course meal with two cocktails and two glasses of wine each turned out to be $260 for two at Longrain (fusion Thai restaurant).

In Shitsville... a four course meal is $6 for one at Montys.

What a world of difference...

thonglor55
September 1st, 2011, 13:32
In Sydney... a three course meal with two cocktails and two glasses of wine each turned out to be $260 for two at Longrain (fusion Thai restaurant).A fool and his money are soon parted {traditional proverb (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-fool-and-his-money-are-soon-parted.html)}