PDA

View Full Version : Suvarnabhumi Airport Immigration Counters

Blueskytoday
August 22nd, 2011, 16:53
Every time I enter the airport, and go to the immigration counters,,,
The lines are terribly long,,last time took over an hour to get thru immigration.
Is there more than ONE immigration counter section, or only the one?
If there is more than one section for immigration, can someone tell me where it is at the
airport...I looked at the map on the web and that is a waste of time..
Thanks

lonelywombat
August 22nd, 2011, 19:30
Are tou talking about in bound immigration.

As an over 70 , but look half my age, I can get the same priority as diplomats for leaving. I dont bother on arrival as it is not the hassle that leaving is. Saves heaps of time.

Try it

dab69
August 22nd, 2011, 20:44
I just levitate over the lines.
works every time, but then I have to wait
for an hour for my luggage to arrive on the turnstyle.

the game is rigged

bao-bao
August 22nd, 2011, 21:19
Most people tend to follow the herd and get into the first immigration queue after getting off of the plane, but there is more than one immigration area past that first one. Check for arriving passport desks (labeled as "7") on the second page of the PDF below.

http://www.airportsuvarnabhumi.com/suvarnahumi_airport.pdf

It can be a bit farther to walk, but after sitting so long to get there I don't mind. The line lengths are always a crap shoot, depending on how many hordes are being dumped at the same time. Some folks claim they always simply waltz through, but the least I've ever waited is 10 minutes, and the most is an hour or so - same arrival time, too.

Good luck.

billy2bs
August 22nd, 2011, 23:05
Well with my arrival from the \USA, it is always close to midnite so my line lag is usually fairly short. Often I will have a lag collecting my luggage. I quick trip to maybe change money and zip to a meter taxi and I am in Bangkok in a flash. Yoo bad the clubs are not open all nite or I would have a trip there to wind up my arrival. :happy7:

August 23rd, 2011, 00:55
Try making sure you're first off the plane, or nearly so, through tactical seat selection - then quick march to the immigration queues..

..if you have a choice of flight, try looking up the airport timetables - if your planned flight is going to arrive at the tail end of a busy period for wide bodied international arrivals, you can be pretty assured of a long queue.

If on the other hand, your plane is arriving at the start of a busy period, the immigration desks will hopefully be well-manned in anticipation of the rush, and the baggage handlers will also be well manned for the same reason..

cdnmatt
August 23rd, 2011, 01:13
You could always use Image Limos VIP service at: http://www.imagelimo.com/vip-image-limousines.php

They say they'll whisk you right through immigration in VIP style.

jinks
August 23rd, 2011, 01:29
I use Image, their rep is waiting at the Air-bridge and see you, fast tracked, through to the limo that is at the exit door.

Excellent and expensive but well worth it.

lukylok
August 23rd, 2011, 02:08
My own experience, - limited I know to 4 or 5 arrivals - I arrive very early +/- 6.30 am - no queue and my bags are waiting for me after the due visit to HN.
Am I really lucky ? Next check 21 october :hello1:

bao-bao
August 23rd, 2011, 02:10
I use Image, their rep is waiting at the Air-bridge and see you, fast tracked, through to the limo that is at the exit door.

Excellent and expensive but well worth it.
I've seen your recommendations for Image many times and have considered them but never booked them. Although it is more expensive to get my lazy butt to the hotel in BKK, this service would be a nice break after so many air miles and I may well try them next time, just to see. Thanks for the reminder and link!

dab69
August 23rd, 2011, 02:48
Well with my arrival from the \USA, it is always close to midnite so my line lag is usually fairly short. Often I will have a lag collecting my luggage. I quick trip to maybe change money and zip to a meter taxi and I am in Bangkok in a flash. Yoo bad the clubs are not open all nite or I would have a trip there to wind up my arrival. :happy7:

G.O.D. still open late?
I always arrive same same time
and can hit there even after a quick shower
at silom hotel

pong
August 23rd, 2011, 17:06
by now I have arrived at least 20 times at Swampy since it opened, mostly with luggage coming from afar.
it has never ever taken me as long as 1 hr to clear immigr-35/40 mins was the miost, at the tme when anyone was complaining, up till parliamant about the waits. But then: the tmes when it took me just say 20-25 mins, I had to wait for luggage to come-another 10 mins or so. Does it really matter to you if you wait at immi or at luggage? All in all it has never ever been more as 1 hr total from deplaning till waiting at -shuttle-bus or now trainstop.
Once-coming on AirAsia from KUL-midday, with only handbag, the plane in (yes, this can also happen on AA) was 20 mins EARLY and I was out and sitting in a bus into town even before the official arr.time then,
Change airline or place you lave from, i would say, if you hate it so much.
GOD is the dancing that is open till dayliight comes on.

Marsilius
August 23rd, 2011, 17:37
Does it really matter to you if you wait at immi or at luggage?

Well, yes, it does, actually. If you've taken the advice of an earlier poster and tried to race ahead to get to the front of the line, you're quite stressed already. If you then find you're at the back of a large, frustrated and increasingly angry mob - hardly divided, at the busiest times, into anything recognisable as queues - which then doesn't move for long periods or else keeps merging and dividing in such a way as to keep you at the back (which I've certainly experienced), the stress level can become almost unbearable.

Once you're through to the luggage carousel, on the other hand, there is no more pushing and shoving, you can calm down while you wait and the whole thing is far less stressful.

It 's not just an issue of time, therefore, but of the conditions and stress levels experienced during the respective parts of the immigration process.

August 23rd, 2011, 20:00
Every time I enter the airport, and go to the immigration counters,,,
The lines are terribly long,,last time took over an hour to get thru immigration.
Is there more than ONE immigration counter section, or only the one?
If there is more than one section for immigration, can someone tell me where it is at the
airport...I looked at the map on the web and that is a waste of time..
Thanks

If you travel business class most airlines will give you a fast track ticket through the immigration area.

bao-bao
August 23rd, 2011, 20:17
Many of the comments Marsilius made rang true for me, too. Everyone's tired, cranky and ready to get to their final destination and that often makes for some testy waiting times.

The other drawback is that if you're stuck waiting to get your photo/passport stamp for too long a while your luggage is going around and around on the carousel, or - worse yet - taken off by a well-meaning employee to sit in the aisle it's possible to "lose" it. One night I got to the carousel to see my bags sitting next to the three or four others from my flight yet to be claimed.

There's no matching of baggage tags to the check tags put onto your ticket as you exit the claim area as in the old days (boy, I'm dating myself with that one) and anyone could waltz away with your luggage and be gone with it long before you got there.

Yes, that sounds overly paranoid to some, but if you've ever arrived and had your luggage lost and spent the first day of an already too short vacation in an unfamiliar place replacing clothes and personal effects you understand what I'm saying.

Marsilius
August 24th, 2011, 11:54
If you travel business class most airlines will give you a fast track ticket through the immigration area.

I always travel business class to Thailand. In recent years I have been using Thai, EVA, China Airlines and Etihad. I have never been offered the opportunity to fast track through immigration at Bangkok International.

francois
August 24th, 2011, 13:08
I also fly Business Class and, like Marsilius, have not been offered expedited service at Immigration. In fact none of the Business Class flyers get special service from my experience. I am speaking of arriving at the airport on a flight; not arriving to board a flight.

jinks
August 24th, 2011, 14:19
Fly with a better airline. I use Emirates and always get fast track a card before I leave the aircraft.

Image do not need this card but it is a good backup.

lonelywombat
August 24th, 2011, 14:37
I havent received fast track from Qantas in Bangkok, but have in London,NY and LA. Being first off the plane is however extremely helpful.

pennyboy
August 24th, 2011, 19:22
I was upgraded to business class on my last flight to Bkk with Thai a couple of months ago.
I was given a fast track card but did not use it as there were no queues at immigration.

latintopxxx
August 25th, 2011, 16:07
darlings don't make use of the 1st immigration hall if it is crowded, keep going for another 200 meters ...past the VIP immigration entrance...you will find a 2nd much less crowded hall....no need for fast track passes etc...

Smiles
August 25th, 2011, 19:00
darlings don't make use of the 1st immigration hall if it is crowded, keep going for another 200 meters ...past the VIP immigration entrance...you will find a 2nd much less crowded hall....no need for fast track passes etc...
I agree with this, and pointed it out some time ago.
But it's not really 'another hall' but rather more like 'another entrance'. There is just one gigantic immigration, customs, and luggage pickup 'hall', but two large entrances into the line up area. Must tired, hurried, sweaty, baggage-pullers squeeze (or follow) into the first entrance without much more thought than lemming-ness. But ~ as pointed out by Dodger & Latin ~ if you continue on a-ways, you'll find a second entrance: go through that one and you'll more than likely find many almost empty immigration booths manned by Imm officers staring, bored, into space.

But a lot of this depends on time of arrival. At peak times they may have airport employees attempting to divide up the throng into 'first entrance' and 'second entrance' groups. Or, maybe not ... this being Thailand :blackeye:
I almost always arrive in the LoS at 11:30 at night, so I'm certain that the crowds are not nearly as intense as at, say, 3 oclock in the afternoon.

bkkguy
August 25th, 2011, 20:34
I always travel business class to Thailand. In recent years I have been using Thai, EVA, China Airlines and Etihad. I have never been offered the opportunity to fast track through immigration at Bangkok International.

for other airlines you may need a fast track card but if you arrive on a Thai business class ticket and have your boarding pass you can use the fast track counters without needing an actual fast track card

http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-service ... rrival.htm (http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-services/on-the-ground/en/suvarnabhumi-arrival.htm)

"Royal First and Royal Silk passengers are invited to use Fast Track Immigration service."

bkkguy

louis50
August 27th, 2011, 08:09
I arrived at Subarmabhumi on Thursday afternoon and immigration took about 5 mins. No queues at all. I was very pleasantly surprised. From disembarking from the aircraft to getting into a cab took a total of approx 25 mins - the quickest I've ever done it. I shouldn't think it'll be the same story when I arrive again just before Christmas.

fedssocr
August 28th, 2011, 04:59

for other airlines you may need a fast track card but if you arrive on a Thai business class ticket and have your boarding pass you can use the fast track counters without needing an actual fast track card

http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-service ... rrival.htm (http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-services/on-the-ground/en/suvarnabhumi-arrival.htm)

"Royal First and Royal Silk passengers are invited to use Fast Track Immigration service."

bkkguy

I was going to mention this too. Qatar Airways also offer fast track passes as well as several other airlines. It never hurts to as the flight attendant or ground staff if you are flying up front.

Fly TG F class and you get a golf cart ride to fast track as well as an attendant to help collect your bags and so forth. And when you're leaving you also get access to the F class spa and much quicker passport control and security. They tend to have good frequent flier seat availability which is how I managed to fly F class last year and will do so again this year. TG business class also gets you access to their dedicated passport control and secuirty. Some other airlines (like QR again) will give you a fast track exit pass as well but I seem to recall that you get priority passport check but end up in the regular security area.

August 28th, 2011, 16:05
Arrived friday, 14.10 - got off the plane before almost everyone else - saw another gate start to stream out ahead so quick marched past them - got to immigration - no queue - but bags delayed 20 mins by a thunderstorm..

,..and a taxi to Sukhumvit Rd took well over an hour... :evil4:

Beachlover
August 31st, 2011, 22:55
It does for me as I usually have no checked luggage coming into Thailand. Only exception is if I'm carrying gifts comprising of alcohol. Nothing worse than getting through immigration in 5 minutes and then waiting 25 minutes for my luggage on the other side. I like to be in a cab within 10-15 mins of exiting the aircraft.

Once-coming on AirAsia from KUL-midday, with only handbag...
Hehehe :rolling: