PDA

View Full Version : Lift plummets killing 3

May 6th, 2006, 17:34
Broken elevator plummets 20 stories in Bangkok, killing 3

BANGKOK: -- An elevator being repaired in a Bangkok high-rise malfunctioned and plummeted more than 20 stories, killing three mechanics on board and injuring a fourth, police said.

Preliminary investigations showed the mechanics were working on the elevator on the 23rd floor of the Citibank building in the Thai capital when it suddenly plunged to the basement, an officer at Bangkok's Thung Mahamek district police station said.

The officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak with the media.

Further details of the accident were not immediately available.

--AP 2006-05-06
copied from Thaivisa forum

Smiles
May 7th, 2006, 01:49
. . . jumping up at the last second before impact doesn't work then?

dab69
May 7th, 2006, 03:01
. . . jumping up at the last second before impact doesn't work then?

wouldn't hurt to try ...

GWMinUS
May 7th, 2006, 06:55
I find this story hard to believe???
All modern elevators have safety brakes to stop their travel in an emergency.
AH WELL, my condolences to the family of those men that where killed.

May 7th, 2006, 08:13
A little more detail in the Bangkok Post online. The one in the elevator is in critical condition, but alive. The three on top of the elevator died. The guy hanging by the rope was fine. They had removed all the cables and attached the car to a pulley? Be afraid, be very afraid.

May 7th, 2006, 19:45
Rice pickers one day, elevator mechanics the next. Long live Thailand.

Aunty
May 7th, 2006, 20:11
I find this story hard to believe???
All modern elevators have safety brakes to stop their travel in an emergency.
AH WELL, my condolences to the family of those men that where killed.

I thought that too, in fact they are among the safest forms of transport available. They even have a counter weight that is heavier than the lift plus passengers. (It's a slab of concrete) So if the cable that raises and lowers the lift breaks the elevator car will actually go up rather than plummet down!

But I guess the mystery has been solved "They had removed all the cables and attached the car to a pulley" in StuffedPotato's post. Be very afraid indeed.