PDA

View Full Version : Five ways to go to Thailand - which one are you?

Beachlover
August 19th, 2011, 00:36
Most of you started off in a developed economy where you enjoy a relatively high income. The problem is, you want to spend time in a different culture or environment or maybe you crave, ahem, other things...

But how do you earn a satisfactory income while moving to or visiting Thailand regularly?

I noticed thereтАЩs SIX main ways people achieve this...

Option 1: You get a job in Thailand

Nice if youтАЩre a high-paid professional, less so if youтАЩre a low-paid English teacher. There might be demand for expats with your skill set in Thailand. Or you could join a large multi-national get posted to Thailand.

Example: Veeresh said his company posted him to Bangkok for a while.

Option 2: You open a business in Thailand servicing local customers:

Not recommended if youтАЩre not already commercially savvy and experienced.

Example: Patexpat says he opened an IT-related business in Pattaya and seems to be doing well.

Option 3: You open a business servicing offshore customers from Thailand:

If your current business or profession delivers a service, which can be executed remotely, you could shift your operations or yourself to Thailand to take advantage of a lower cost base while charging Western or close to Western rates. Possible downsides are time zone differences, lack of face time with clients and dealing with isolation. Much easier to do if you have a strong existing customer base back home.

Example: Cdnmatt moved to Khon Kaen and says he still works remotely for his clients back in North America.

Option 4: You have a business in your home country and manage it remotely:

If you have a well established business not needing your physical presence for day to day operations, you could manage it remotely while travelling or living in Thailand.

Example: ThatтАЩs me... But as easy as it is to manage my business remotely, I donтАЩt spend more than 30% of the year away from the office as it wonтАЩt grow if I do that and my most talented staff wonтАЩt stick around if IтАЩm not growing.

Option 5: You work remotely for your employer

Anyone who does knowledge work is a candidate. This includes consultants, strategists, developers, designers, project managers, marketing managers and more. You have to develop a business case for it and convince your boss.

Example: Has anyone here done this?

Option 6: You work 9-5 for 40 years, then retire:

You could just continue as normal, work 20, 30 or 40 years, maybe come to Thailand for holidays on a regular a basis and then when youтАЩve saved enough to retire, move to Thailand. I think this delayed gratification thing is a very Baby Boomer/Gen X style thing to do. The challenge is what do you do once youтАЩve retired in Thailand?

Example: Khor Tose says he retired to Thailand a couple of years ago

--

So whatтАЩs YOUR story? How did you or do you intend to break free of your home country and live ABROAD while maintaining your FIRST-WORLD income? :king:

P.S. I just realised some of you are from developing economies and this article is mostly geared to people from developed economies. I am being insensitive... sorry. :crybaby:

cdnmatt
August 19th, 2011, 03:37
Example: Cdnmatt moved to Khon Kaen and says he still works remotely for his clients back in North America.

Not just a few clients anymore. Hundreds now, and gotta say, I quite like it. At least the bank account does. :)

Anyway, I think you'd be totally dumbfounded if you found out the sheer number of Westerners who earn their money online, and live in various countries such as Thailand. There's loads and loads of 20-somethings who make loads of money online (and more money than many on SGT could fathom), realize they can do it anywhere in the world, and have taken advantage of that. They sit around, see their country falling apart before their eyes, everything is going to shit, nanny state is at an all time high, and so on... so fuck it, they head out for greener pastures.

Why sit around in bum-fuck Alabama watching the cows cross the road, or some city in NE England where it rains 25 days a month, when you can easily make the same amount of coin hanging out on the beach in SE Asia?

Brisboy82
August 19th, 2011, 04:36
I haven't worked out what I am going to do yet. The only option I can
Think of is teaching English. It doesn't pay much but I can't
Think of anything else I can do to stay in Thailand.

paulg
August 19th, 2011, 09:36

You say yet. Is that in the immediate future or are you planning medium to long term?

Do you have any qualifications or experience that might be a starting point?

ikarus
August 19th, 2011, 12:05
Most of you started off in a developed economy where you enjoy a relatively high income. The problem is, you want to spend time in a different culture or environment or maybe you crave, ahem, other things...

But how do you earn a satisfactory income while moving to or visiting Thailand regularly?

I noticed thereтАЩs SIX main ways people achieve this...

Option 1: You get a job in Thailand

Nice if youтАЩre a high-paid professional, less so if youтАЩre a low-paid English teacher. There might be demand for expats with your skill set in Thailand. Or you could join a large multi-national get posted to Thailand.

Example: Veeresh said his company posted him to Bangkok for a while.

Option 2: You open a business in Thailand servicing local customers:

Not recommended if youтАЩre not already commercially savvy and experienced.

Example: Patexpat says he opened an IT-related business in Pattaya and seems to be doing well.

Option 3: You open a business servicing offshore customers from Thailand:

If your current business or profession delivers a service, which can be executed remotely, you could shift your operations or yourself to Thailand to take advantage of a lower cost base while charging Western or close to Western rates. Possible downsides are time zone differences, lack of face time with clients and dealing with isolation. Much easier to do if you have a strong existing customer base back home.

Option 4: You have a business in your home country and manage it remotely:

If you have a well established business not needing your physical presence for day to day operations, you could manage it remotely while travelling or living in Thailand.

Example: ThatтАЩs me... But as easy as it is to manage my business remotely, I donтАЩt spend more than 30% of the year away from the office as it wonтАЩt grow if I do that and my most talented staff wonтАЩt stick around if IтАЩm not growing.

Option 5: You work remotely for your employer

Anyone who does knowledge work is a candidate. This includes consultants, strategists, developers, designers, project managers, marketing managers and more. You have to develop a business case for it and convince your boss.

Example: Has anyone here done this?

Option 6: You work 9-5 for 40 years, then retire:

You could just continue as normal, work 20, 30 or 40 years, maybe come to Thailand for holidays on a regular a basis and then when youтАЩve saved enough to retire, move to Thailand. I think this delayed gratification thing is a very Baby Boomer/Gen X style thing to do. The challenge is what do you do once youтАЩve retired in Thailand?

Example: Khor Tose says he retired to Thailand a couple of years ago

--

So whatтАЩs YOUR story? How did you or do you intend to break free of your home country and live ABROAD while maintaining your FIRST-WORLD income? :king:

P.S. I just realised some of you are from developing economies and this article is mostly geared to people from developed economies. I am being insensitive... sorry. :crybaby:
What are you writing is quite obvious and can be easily derived from Google. I am talking about the totality of your numerous posts on various message boards. You sound like a total fraud.
The question: Does anybody ever met this guy and can confirm anything he is writing about himself?

Brisboy82
August 19th, 2011, 12:10

You say yet. Is that in the immediate future or are you planning medium to long term?

Do you have any qualifications or experience that might be a starting point?

I am thinking near future. As soon as I repay my debts and save a little bit of money.

I work in an admin position and I have a social science degree. No major qualifications or relevant experience that i imagine could land me any professional position in Thailand.

August 19th, 2011, 12:36
[/quote]Author: ikarus ┬╗Says
What are you writing is quite obvious and can be easily derived from Google. I am talking about the totality of your numerous posts on various message boards. You sound like a total fraud.
The question: Does anybody ever met this guy and can confirm anything he is writing about himself?[/quote]

We all know he is a fraud but the main problem is he is plagiarizing other people hard work, all the time, who have gone to all the trouble to gather this Information and hope some people are interested, with out giving them a credit, Its not for тАЬBitter BoreтАЭ to steal or change into his own words to cover up his action, is it not illegal to plagiarize material. I can see he is getting worried and thought he better write some thing, to counteract all the Bitter and twisted attacks, he is making on people most of the time.

I have done a teaching course my self when I thought things were going to be rocky for me many years ago, can you believe it was so interesting and I would recommend any one trying one of the many around, you can find many jobs around from 30,000 a month up wards, then if your job is in Bangkok the money rises to nearly 40,000 basic, with living, transport allowances and having a tefl certificate, much more if you have a degree, to over 100,000 with yearly monthly increases of in most cases a few thousand a month extra.

The Thai Government has just announced they are going to put aside Millions to pay Teachers a basic minimum of 85,000 a month, "one million Baht a year" as it is becoming more and more difficult to get good teachers in Thailand, if you look around the main amount you can earn to start with is from 45 to 65000 a month, but most teachers more than double that by working for private schools around Bangkok or Thailand from 400 to 700 per hour in the evenings and weekends, so as you see it is a very good living and very respectful and the friends I have doing it all just love it, especially the 10 weeks summer holidays half term and Christmas Holidays with pay and all the many Bank holidays, they get also, considering the hours are mainly from 8am or 9 am till 2 or 3.30pm give it a try, your be so happy you did IтАЩm sure, all the Teachers I know, all of them love their work and it beats sitting on the beach every day spending money, plus you have lots of time to do that, with the money you make, you can go to any part of Thailand you want no problem.

Read this web site jobs and lots of Information

http://www.ajarn.com/help-and-guides/newbie-guide/

Marsilius
August 19th, 2011, 13:02
I run my businesses almost entirely online. I sometimes need to travel abroad to visit clients or to purchase product - but it is completely immaterial to my businesses where I am based so I could easily relocate to Thailand.

I don't actually like living in the UK and the only thing that keeps me here is the fact that my partner's work is based here. But if that were not the case, we would move - though certainly not to Thailand which, though it has been a great place for extended holidays over the past 18 years, is not somewhere that we would ever consider for permanent residence.

Smiles
August 19th, 2011, 14:48
" ... What are you writing is quite obvious and can be easily derived from Google. I am talking about the totality of your numerous posts on various message boards. You sound like a total fraud.
The question: Does anybody ever met this guy and can confirm anything he is writing about himself? ... "
Certainly Ikarus and I (and many others) have had our 'moments' on this Board, but on this one he's hit the bulls-eye perfectly.
The usual Beachlover MO: time to change it up and produce a "thoughtful" topic to salve the open wounds of the thoughtless ones ... the posts laden down with Tourettes-like insults and obscenities. A "thoughtful" topic to link to when under accusation: (" ... look at me, look at me, I can be serious and self-aware too ... ").

As Ikarus says above: "obvious".

netrix
August 19th, 2011, 15:12
option 3

christianpfc
August 19th, 2011, 23:19
intend to do option 1 or 5 or if these fail option 6.

What about marriage? As same sex cannot marry in Thailand, is it possible to marry a Thai man in your home country and than live with him in Thailand as his husband or wife? This solves the problem of permit to stay in Thailand, but doesn't give you any income.

bao-bao
August 19th, 2011, 23:39
The usual Beachlover MO: time to change it up and produce a "thoughtful" topic to salve the open wounds of the thoughtless ones ... the posts laden down with Tourettes-like insults and obscenities.
I don't keep a Rolodex or file cabinet of past transgressions like some here do, but this post was surprising enough to make mental note of. Were you maybe thinking of...

your pomposity
Pomposity! WTF! Coming from the humourless FUCKSTICK who harps on about "little fools", "intellectual midgets" and of all things, "using emoticons"!

Get FUCKED! You're a fucking pathetic loser. Your entire FUCKING posting history on this forum is made up of almost NOTHING but attacks and put downs of other posters. You must be one of the greatest low life maggots ever to prowl this forum.

You do almost NOTHING but follow certain posters around and pick on them like a FUCKING great arsehole. Anyone looking at your posting history below can see this.

There's three genuine posters you currently attack. No matter what time of the day Justme, Combat and I post, you're almost ALWAYS replying immediately with snide, bitter and usually unjustified attacks to stir up shit. It's like clockwork! You're a constant fucking stain on face of this forum!

Is that ALL you do all day every day, you FUCKING miserable tosser? Do you actually sit on this forum for the entire fucking day, 300+ days a year waiting for members you dislike to say something so you can reply with your fucking miserable, bitter, hypocritical bullshit?

Personally, I don't give a toss who or what the fuck you are. You're a complete FUCKING dickhead who's existence on THIS forum revolves and has always revolved around stalking and attacking posters you dislike.

You contribute almost NOTHING else but bitter, humourless comments attacking and picking on the same positive and genuine people day in day out.

Whilst most regular posters express their likes and dislikes, they still manage to contribute by way of positive or entertaining information, discussion or comments. YOU on the other hand do almost sweet FUCK all but post one attack after another on whichever members you've chosen to stalk day after day.

Go fuck yourself!
When I first stumbled upon SGT in mid-2006 I was home recuperating from a minor procedure and frittered away a couple of days reading back to the first page between naps (yes, a mental disorder in and of itself) and can honestly say the above the the most surprising post I've ever read here. It will certainly win the "Spirited and Lively" award for the year. Second place would be a toss up between the couple of times he's wished a member dead for one reason or another - but that's just a personal thing with me, filed under "careful what you wish for".

I honestly enjoy reading Beachlover's posts when he's adding constructive links and information to a thread - regardless of where it comes from - and not just tilting windmills or stirring things up. He certainly has the time to research, and has a nose for new places. Perhaps he was just having a few successions of bad days.

bao-bao
August 19th, 2011, 23:48
Oh - and by the way: I wouldn't choose Thailand to work or live - at least, not at this point. There's far too much more of the rest of the world I'd like to explore before anchoring myself anywhere.

Besides, there's the whole issue of a work permit, or trying to work without one. It seems to me that options 1 through 5 all would indicate a need for a permit, and I don't know the ins and outs of that without Googling. Some are content to pay the bribes and skirt that system, but that wouldn't be something I'm comfortable with.

ikarus
August 20th, 2011, 14:00
Baring possible future political disturbances, Thailand is a fantastic place to live with still very inexpensive real estate, excellent infrastructure, friendly people not to mention available entertainment. However, running local business is extremely difficult, require a lot of dedication and just for very few (unless, of course, you want to transform a big fortune to a small one as LMTU likes to put it). However, running offshore business from Thailand is quite possible and does not require local work permit. Do not believe, however, that it is easy to set up your own internet business. If it were true, we all would live on various paradise islands...

Patexpat
August 20th, 2011, 17:39
. However, running offshore business from Thailand is quite possible and does not require local work permit. .

Actually you DO need a work permit, it's just harder for Immigration to catch you under these circumstances! Don't believe me? Look up what the Thai regulations define work as!

August 20th, 2011, 18:05
I honestly enjoy reading Beachlover posts when he's adding constructive links and information to a thread

Whatever bao-bao sometimes telling it like it is does the trick as I think you will find the poster refered to has since 'left' the forum.....

August 20th, 2011, 23:54
I honestly enjoy reading Beachlover posts when he's adding constructive links and information to a thread

Whatever bao-bao sometimes telling it like it is does the trick as I think you will find the poster refered to has since 'left' the forum.....

Yes bullies always run away, when they are confronted with a real man, same as I notice you never answer when your confrounted with a truth either. :blackeye:

ikarus
August 20th, 2011, 23:59
. However, running offshore business from Thailand is quite possible and does not require local work permit. .

Actually you DO need a work permit, it's just harder for Immigration to catch you under these circumstances! Don't believe me? Look up what the Thai regulations define work as!
Actually, you do not. For example, Mark Faber has an investment business in HK but live in Thailand as retiree. How difficult
do you think would be to catch such a high profile person as Mark Faber?

Dboy
August 21st, 2011, 06:05
Actually, you do not. For example, Mark Faber has an investment business in HK but live in Thailand as retiree. How difficult

I've met him. Very cool dude. And the poster was wrong about needing a work permit for remote work. This was recently hashed out on Thai Visa forum. There have been VERY clear statements from Thai govt that their concerns with work permits are with farang working jobs in Thailand where the business is done in Thailand. They are not interested in internet workers. They realize that people who are doing computer-based work are generally higher quality visitors who make lots of money abroad..they have no interest in chasing that away. And if at some point it DOES become an issue, at least for Americans, we can always create a Treaty of Amity company and take care of things that way. Why would they want to chase out people who are generating income that will be spent in the country, when they could be running off the people in Soi Arab? ...they wouldn't. The Thai's may do some goofy things some times, but they would never throw away their own rice bowl.

Responding to the original question, last summer I was option 5. Worked remote for a US financial institution. Had several heavy rains that knocked out internet service just when I needed it. My contingency plan for that was to pack up the laptop and check into a hotel in order to use their service. The problem was that (I bet some of you remember this last summer) internet went down in the whole city of Pattaya one night (business hours in US). Lasted only a few hours so it ended up being manageable, but it was a bit scary.

Normally am working for myself living location-independent (not necessarily from Thailand) trading US futures/equities markets. I do systems-based trend-following, so I do not require a very high speed connection, but I do try to get the fastest non-wireless internet I can find. That's a primary requirement when searching for house/condo rentals.

To the poster who said he couldn't think of anything to do besides become a teacher...well even in teaching there are MANY ways to do it, so teaching isn't just one thing(could be a teacher at an international school, work for yourself doing business english tutoring for Thai executives, running a school that teaches Java programming, anything really). There are farang in Thailand doing just about everything you can imagine. Most of them just don't want to tell you, fearing competition. There are farang running real estate management companies, operating pig farms (I hear there's money in pork! lol) , working as factory managers, and er...um entertainment venues. There are tons of options. The guy who owned Bob's BBQ in Pattaya decided to sell it awhile back..the price was right, I considered it. You could have been running that. Or a guest house (I'd kinda like to try doing that).

In my opinion, the challenge isn't finding a way to support yourself, the problem (my problem) has been the potential value system/goals change that may come from making such a drastic move during your working life. In the US, the goals/values are (pretty much) to make as much money as you possibly can no matter how soul-destroying your resulting life is (at least that's my experience with the financial industry). In Thailand, you are probably sacrificing income and career advancement potential in order to create a (hopefully) higher-quality life for yourself. Although a farang or two apparently decide to join the Pattaya Flying Club by finding a building to jump from, I think for many farang, some of their happiest times have been spent in Thailand. That's certainly been true for me. So in the end, there's a tradeoff..maybe a better life in a nicer place than your home country, vs probably ending whatever career you were working on along with all that supposed security and big paycheck. I have reached the point where I don't need or want the corporate paycheck anymore, and much prefer to work for myself, even if the income is less secure. Anyway, stuff to think about.

Dboy

Patexpat
August 21st, 2011, 10:33
Well I'm happy to stand corrected, but I wouldn't take the chance as the official definition of тАЬworkтАЭ in Thailand is "to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits" and if they wanted to get you, they would.

Mark Faber lives here as a retiree, presumably on a retirement visa, and so by definition is not working? It's not illegal to own a business outside of Thailand and live here as a retiree.

Dboy
August 21st, 2011, 12:21
Well I'm happy to stand corrected, but I wouldn't take the chance as the official definition of тАЬworkтАЭ in Thailand is "to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits" and if they wanted to get you, they would.

That last bit is the point of defining work that way...it's a tool available if needed. Just consider "exerting energy". In biological terms, exerting energy happens whenever you burn a calorie. So, just by not being dead you are "breaking" this law. In practical terms, if you are working remote from Thailand, as long as you're not producing porn films or running a terrorist website or something...nobody is going to care.

I DID find out a few days ago though that exporting gold that is better that 18k is illegal...I had no idea about that one. Guess that could apply to people running an ebay business, or exporting jewelry or something. Many of the gold shops have the 22.5k (I think that's right?) gold..Love it, but they certainly didn't tell me it was illegal to export. It's laws like THAT, that I'm more concerned about; stuff I'm not thinking about that turns out to be illegal.

Dboy

Koh Samui Luv
August 21st, 2011, 13:15
It's laws like THAT, that I'm more concerned about; stuff I'm not thinking about that turns out to be illegal.
Dboy

Well, you are in for lot of worries Dboy. The fact of the matter is that if all the laws in any country were enforced, there would be almost no one left who would not be behind bars. And yet people clamor for more laws as an answer to their social problems. Those from the West raise the biggest fuss about having more laws. And in the meantime, societies all over the world continue to collapse. Maybe they can pass a law against collapsing societies! Could we pass a law against passing any more laws? Oh... the NGOs wouldn't like that one bit!

ikarus
August 21st, 2011, 13:26

I've met him. Very cool dude. And the poster was wrong about needing a work permit for remote work. This was recently hashed out on Thai Visa forum. There have been VERY clear statements from Thai govt that their concerns with work permits are with farang working jobs in Thailand where the business is done in Thailand. They are not interested in internet workers. They realize that people who are doing computer-based work are generally higher quality visitors who make lots of money abroad..they have no interest in chasing that away. And if at some point it DOES become an issue, at least for Americans, we can always create a Treaty of Amity company and take care of things that way. Why would they want to chase out people who are generating income that will be spent in the country, when they could be running off the people in Soi Arab? ...they wouldn't. The Thai's may do some goofy things some times, but they would never throw away their own rice bowl.

Responding to the original question, last summer I was option 5. Worked remote for a US financial institution. Had several heavy rains that knocked out internet service just when I needed it. My contingency plan for that was to pack up the laptop and check into a hotel in order to use their service. The problem was that (I bet some of you remember this last summer) internet went down in the whole city of Pattaya one night (business hours in US). Lasted only a few hours so it ended up being manageable, but it was a bit scary.

Normally am working for myself living location-independent (not necessarily from Thailand) trading US futures/equities markets. I do systems-based trend-following, so I do not require a very high speed connection, but I do try to get the fastest non-wireless internet I can find. That's a primary requirement when searching for house/condo rentals.

To the poster who said he couldn't think of anything to do besides become a teacher...well even in teaching there are MANY ways to do it, so teaching isn't just one thing(could be a teacher at an international school, work for yourself doing business english tutoring for Thai executives, running a school that teaches Java programming, anything really). There are farang in Thailand doing just about everything you can imagine. Most of them just don't want to tell you, fearing competition. There are farang running real estate management companies, operating pig farms (I hear there's money in pork! lol) , working as factory managers, and er...um entertainment venues. There are tons of options. The guy who owned Bob's BBQ in Pattaya decided to sell it awhile back..the price was right, I considered it. You could have been running that. Or a guest house (I'd kinda like to try doing that).

In my opinion, the challenge isn't finding a way to support yourself, the problem (my problem) has been the potential value system/goals change that may come from making such a drastic move during your working life. In the US, the goals/values are (pretty much) to make as much money as you possibly can no matter how soul-destroying your resulting life is (at least that's my experience with the financial industry). In Thailand, you are probably sacrificing income and career advancement potential in order to create a (hopefully) higher-quality life for yourself. Although a farang or two apparently decide to join the Pattaya Flying Club by finding a building to jump from, I think for many farang, some of their happiest times have been spent in Thailand. That's certainly been true for me. So in the end, there's a tradeoff..maybe a better life in a nicer place than your home country, vs probably ending whatever career you were working on along with all that supposed security and big paycheck. I have reached the point where I don't need or want the corporate paycheck anymore, and much prefer to work for myself, even if the income is less secure. Anyway, stuff to think about.

Dboy
Dboy,
You are my kind of guy and I have a lot of respect that you are able making living through trading which is obviously not easy. I also have a lot of respect for the attitude you are taking. Yes, US probably still a place where talented person can make substantial amount of money but money alone does not make one happy...
Regarding the issue raised by Patexpat, Mark Faber is actively working. He is running his own business and has extremely popular investment letter. I, in fact, know several farangs living in Thailand on retirement visa and continuing to run their own businesses. What is no , no in Thailand is if your offshore business has something to do with Thailand. Other than that nobody cares.

Thai Dyed
August 21st, 2011, 13:59
Regarding the issue raised by Patexpat, Mark Faber is actively working.

His name is Marc Faber. Among other things, he publishes the monthly news letter called "The Gloom Boom & Doom Report". He has a very impressive background and can be quite humorous in his interviews.

[attachment=0:1xzzvzx3]Marc Faber.jpg[/attachment:1xzzvzx3]

August 21st, 2011, 18:19
Not having had the draining influence of a wife, and a disciplined attitude to money - never spending more than I earned.. - plus a reasonable nose for business and investment; I got to the point where I didn't really need to work again by the time I was 40..

..but no work is dull - you need a reason to get up in the morning; and I really dislike a lack of imperative in my life.

So I advanced an old hobby (getting elegantly drunk) to the point where I am now a world renowned expert on the wines of a certain region - and started spending the winter in Thailand.

I am not comfortable being openly bi-sexual, so in my field of expertise I am heterosexual, whilst In Thailand I am heterosexual in Hua Hin - but shag anything that moves elsewhere..

I would not want to spend my entire time in Thailand (I would miss my cellar too much..) but whilst there I do a little work on my laptop..

(For routine in Thailand, I start the day by trying to remember the name of the person I've just woken up with; having sex (name, or no name..) and after kicking them out the door and showering, go for something stir-fried for breakfast, whilst tackling the Bangkok Post crossword)

Oh! - in answer to the OP's question: none of the above!

Beachlover
August 30th, 2011, 02:29
Thanks Combat... Yep, that post was aimed at OIAW who was later banned.

Very kind of Bao Bao to recall one of my finest. I was trying to out do this brilliant champion... :rolling:

(Watch at 40 secs)

[youtube:2s290484]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNYCGZMtI8[/youtube:2s290484]

Beachlover
August 30th, 2011, 02:35
Dboy... Interesting perspective. Thanks.

Personally, if I were to move to Asia or abroad, I wouldn't live in Thailand. It'd probably be Hong Kong or Singapore. More money to be made there and these places are just a short hop away from everywhere else in Asia. The only reason I'd periodically live or setup base in Thailand would be if I had a Thai partner. Then, I'd be looking at l splitting my time between a couple of places.

Anyway, I think you'd be totally dumbfounded if you found out the sheer number of Westerners who earn their money online, and live in various countries such as Thailand. There's loads and loads of 20-somethings who make loads of money online (and more money than many on SGT could fathom), realize they can do it anywhere in the world, and have taken advantage of that.
Yeah, I'm starting to get the picture!

I had the opportunity to pack up and go last year (someone made a tentative offer on my business, though it would've involved at least another year managing the transition). I did think about it and figured I could live anywhere in Asia, continue servicing Australian/UK clients and comfortably make $250k/year without breaking a sweat.

I decided not to as I have lots of friends and commitments here. I'd be selling myself and my business short. Plus, the more I've traveled, the more I appreciate living and working in Sydney. Developing some good work/life balance has helped too. I didn't want to make such a major move for the wrong reasons.

Why sit around in bum-fuck Alabama watching the cows cross the road, or some city in NE England where it rains 25 days a month, when you can easily make the same amount of coin hanging out on the beach in SE Asia?
Heh... Totally agree. But I think some need to be aware there is some risk of doing that at a young age. Professionally, you may fall behind your counterparts who are still working side by side with cutting edge peers in their developed economy home. Might not feel anything over 2-3 years but I reckon over 5 to 10 years it could make a huge difference.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Just be aware of the long-term implications and plan accordingly. I think it's important to stay connected with people and society back home.

Not just a few clients anymore. Hundreds now, and gotta say, I quite like it. At least the bank account does. :)
Nicely done...

Why do you want to stay in Thailand? You said you're only 28. Might be time to consider re-skilling or re-educating yourself to change your profession into something that gives you more mobility.

I wouldn't take the chance as the official definition of тАЬworkтАЭ in Thailand is "to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits" and if they wanted to get you, they would.
There was a good thread on this a while back: gay-thailand-f9/officials-discuss-when-work-permit-required-t21186.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/officials-discuss-when-work-permit-required-t21186.html) - I think this drew from the ThaiVisa thread Dboy's talking about above.

The general consensus seemed to be that if you're only servicing offshore clients and your business gains no advantage by you being in Thailand, then it's ok. Having said that, But as with many things in Thailand, it's not set in stone and the rules can be bent when convenient. So you might be wise about not wanting to "take the chance".

I do it all the time while holidaying in Thailand, but if I was to actually move there or start living there periodically (more likely) then I would investigate a bit further.

Brisboy82
August 30th, 2011, 03:11
Why do I want to stay permanently in thailand? Because I despise living in my own country. Re-educate myself? I already have plenty of education and it gets me nowhere and I don't live in the fantasy upper middle class world I live in the real world with no time or money for such things. I don't like the western way of doing things so why would I want to take part in it. As for job flexibility I already have a job that allows me to spend two months paid leave in Thailand per year and it's not enough. Every minute in Australia is torture.

I am not greedy I don't need much. Just to be in Asia. Anywhere in Asia would do. I don't see what ge has to do with that. Is expat life only for old perves? Why should I follow the typical western career path Which we all know gets nobody anywhere but in debt.

goji
August 30th, 2011, 04:52
I'm sure Asia would be better with more money. For a start, have you seen the hours the locals work?

Anyhow, as my particular niche isn't going to have any well paid jobs in SE Asia, I either need to build up sideline income streams or have a complete change of strategy on career.
Running web based businesses is just fine for people with the expertise in that area, but the rest of us would be on a steep learning curve.

As it stands, I'm working on the additional income streams and if all goes well, I may quit my job before 50.

Brisboy82
August 30th, 2011, 07:47
Of course ore money would be better but it's a waste
Of a life to live in 100% misery waiting several decades for a retirement age that you may never reach. I can't just live for the holidays. I'd rather be poor than to be miserable all day very day for several decades. Who says I will be around at 50? Nobody can make such guarantees.

I know one German guy who lives in Hanoi and is absolutely broke he just lives off a bar tab and eats whenever friends feed him and yet he says he is happy and would kill himself before he would ver move back to Europe.

thonglor55
August 30th, 2011, 09:31
. However, running offshore business from Thailand is quite possible and does not require local work permit. .Actually you DO need a work permit, it's just harder for Immigration to catch you under these circumstances! Don't believe me? Look up what the Thai regulations define work as!Actually, you do not.Actually ... it's up to whatever the Immigration Department decide on the day. This Is Thailand. The rule of law and "what the regulations say" simply doesn't apply. Good luck if you think otherwise and then upset someone who has the ear of Immigration official.

Beachlover
September 1st, 2011, 23:32
it's a waste Of a life to live in 100% misery waiting several decades for a retirement age that you may never reach.
Totally agree but you also need to be bold and seek practical solutions...

I don't see what age has to do with that. Is expat life only for old perves?
Totally agree... I only mention age as if you're still in your twenties and didn't choose the right career path to get you where you want to be (e.g. living in Asia) you still have plenty of time to change direction and get there another way.

Re-educate myself? I already have plenty of education and it gets me nowhere and I don't live in the fantasy upper middle class world I live in the real world with no time or money for such things.
I don't mean just academic education. Seek a career that will make you more mobile and geographically flexible/adaptable. If you think teaching English in Thailand for the rest of your life will do it then great... Otherwise, there's plenty of other professions that will make moving to, living in and earning a high income in Asia easily possible.

Dboy
September 4th, 2011, 05:17
Dboy... Interesting perspective. Thanks.

Personally, if I were to move to Asia or abroad, I wouldn't live in Thailand. It'd probably be Hong Kong or Singapore. More money to be made there and these places are just a short hop away from everywhere else in Asia. The only reason I'd periodically live or setup base in Thailand would be if I had a Thai partner. Then, I'd be looking at l splitting my time between a couple of places.

I KNOW I should really check out HK and Singapore one of these days. Singapore has a new area that they are marketing as a hedge fund district, and I am acquainted with a few people who have already moved out there. It's only an hour flight I think, from Bangkok. The US is getting awfully unfriendly to business, and I'm sure that both HK and Singapore will benefit from that. So yea, I would like to check those places out. Once I get to Thailand though, I tend to not feel like going anywhere else:-)

I don't mean just academic education. Seek a career that will make you more mobile and geographically flexible/adaptable. If you think teaching English in Thailand for the rest of your life will do it then great... Otherwise, there's plenty of other professions that will make moving to, living in and earning a high income in Asia easily possible.

I agree with this completely. If you have a future goal of being location-independent or living somewhere outside your home country, then it is very possible at a young age IF you make good decisions. I sure as hell would not wait until retirement years to start seeing the world. I think it IS worth the risks involved, especially right now with this global economic disaster going on. I don't see the point in investing the time and energy into an employee-based career, when probably 75% of the "experience" is likely not a transferable skill. As for TEFL work (teaching), I think it's fine at least as an entry point to Thailand or whatever country. But while you are doing that, you need to be thinking about whether teaching is something you REALLY like and have a gift for..or not. If not, use the teaching job as a way to meet people who might be able to assist you. For instance, the parents of kids who go to the international schools; those parents are likely wealthy. They probably own a company, or have a ranking position in the military...those are good people to know. One of them might be your ticket to a new career.

Beachlover
September 5th, 2011, 00:57
I KNOW I should really check out HK and Singapore one of these days. Singapore has a new area that they are marketing as a hedge fund district, and I am acquainted with a few people who have already moved out there. It's only an hour flight I think, from Bangkok.
Hong Kong's meant to be a financial hub. Singapore's also a financial hub and working hard to position itself as a leader in private wealth management. I've heard that between the two, expats tend to earn more in Hong Kong due to lower tax rates.

Singapore is only 1-2 hours' flight from Bangkok. They're so close you could just shuttle back and fourth, a couple of times a week if need be. Easy to get LCC flights under $60. If I was in a serious relationship with a Thai boy and he had his career/job to get on with in Bangkok, I'd be setting up shop in Singapore to earn my dollars there and shuttling back and fourth. Hong Kong's a bit further.

South-East Asia's an amazing region and has heaps more to offer than Thailand... go explore.

:glasses7: (that one's for you, Smiles/fkstk)