PDA

View Full Version : Wine tasting nights Amari and wines and corkage.

lonelywombat
July 30th, 2011, 11:23
Some months ago I posted to GB asking various questions about good wines by the glass at restaurants in Pattaya. GB got his balls in a knot over comments that La Cage wine was for the price just reasonable and
and moved the thread . I think it was breaking up the front page reliance on poo,pedo and drug threads.
http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2234

However several of his readers contacted me by PM and I received an invite to go to the Amari for their monthly tasting function , which was excellent value 750 baht included a buffet and last night featured more than generous tasting of French wines. Guest of honor last night [in his own mind] was Monty so things must be doing well for him to get away.

The details are---- last friday of every month 6.30 for 2 hours in the beautiful Amari gardens or as happened last night, shifted inside when it rained. I believe the expat club have a reduced entrance fee.

From PM's and various posts, several restaurants are welcoming BYO wines with corkage about 200/300 per bottle. I would welcome any info as to which restaurants offer corkage and the rate.

BTW Monty told me last night he has built up a large range of wines for his dining clients or for those who prefer to drink wine.

July 30th, 2011, 15:27
Having an expensive taste in wine, a fondness for well cellared old bottles, and a substantial cellar under the house, I routinely pay corkage when dining out in the UK.

The going rate in central London is around ┬г10/btl and out of town ┬г5/btl, but a glass for the waiter often sees that left off the bill..

There are also a couple of very pleasant venues that my friends and I frequent regularly, where the management appreciates our custom sufficiently to charge no corkage at all.

One of my few regrets when visiting Thailand is that I can only get about three bottles into my suitcase, without risking breakage (I usually travel with very little apparel on the way out, and buy a fresh set of clothes in the nightmarkets on arrival)

Corkage in Thailand? I don't think i've ever been charged - but I open my chosen bottles in restaurants where I'm a well known regular. If I was charged, I would take issue with a bill for 300bt - half that amount would be more reasonable.

The outrageous prices of quality wine in Thailand (which is almost always too immature for immediate consumption), coupled to the climate; persuades me to stick to beer for the most part, but I'll often suffer the odd glass of red plonk towards the end of an evening..

Beachlover
August 2nd, 2011, 01:27
I routinely pay corkage when dining out in the UK.
I think it's only fair to pay corkage. Don't restaurants pay a fair bit to be licensed to serve alcohol?

Have you visited Cambodia? You get really nice wines from all over the world at $10 a bottle in restaurants as there is no alcohol tax. Since a nice bottle of wine from France, Argentina or Italy (i.e. anything non-Australian) generally costs $80-$120+ in Australian restaurants, I jump at the chance to drink any wines that aren't Australian.

Australia makes great wine but the stuff from Europe seems to have a different kind of Earthy taste you can't get here... can't explain it as I'm no expert.

GB got his balls in a knot over comments that La Cage wine was for the price just reasonable and moved the thread . I think it was breaking up the front page reliance on poo,pedo and drug threads.
It that dopey dumb arse still at it? :rolling: