PDA

View Full Version : ID Checks by Security at my Hotel

bucknaway
July 29th, 2011, 07:17
Last year when I was staying in Pattaya, the guards at the Condo I was staying at paid no attention to me or my guests until I became friendly with the guard staff. Once they became friendly with me they started asking my guests to show their ID. I am not sure how I feel about it. I know they are doing to to protect me, but it also has a way of casting a less than trusting light on the guest in question. I always feel just a little uncomfortable for my guest at the moment of them being stopped by security. I often wonder if it was a mistake to become so friendly with the security staff? I can't help it, I like to give things to security and I will often stop at KFC and buy them a meal to snack on as I head back to my room. If I don't bring a hot meal, I will buy a iced tea and some snacks for them to eat. If it is very late and there is a street vendor selling something interesting I will buy it and give it to the security guard or to one of the guys along the beach who will be sleeping in the sand because they have no room to go to. I can't help it; I love doing things like that....

But I am still of mixed emotions when it comes to my guests having to show and possibly leave their ID with security. Maybe I feel that way because I have never had a problem with a guest in my room. Here in America.... I would not allow a security guard question a hotel guest of mine. But in Thailand.. Maybe it is a good thing????? :dontknow:

arsenal
July 29th, 2011, 10:03
It is done for your protection and no Thai will be offended by it. They all expect to leave their ID at security. Technically they are checking in to the hotel, even if only for a short time and the law states they must provide Id just as you and I do when wee check in.

dab69
July 29th, 2011, 10:45
the guards wanted to do something
to warrant a tip

Marsha-old
July 29th, 2011, 13:50
They should have been asking for ID from the start. It's done to protect you. Thera a lot of bad people out there. Plus you hear a Lot of bad stories. Best to be safe than sorry.

Brisboy82
July 29th, 2011, 16:59
They are doing it for your own benefit. I have never known a hotel or guesthouse not to ask for ID so everybody is pretty used to it.

I think it's a good thing as the hotel staff would be better at ensuring that the ID is genuine than we would.

July 29th, 2011, 17:24
I have never known a hotel or guesthouse not to ask for ID so everybody is pretty used to it

My experiance is almost the exact opposite...

Smiles
July 29th, 2011, 18:42
Once you've made the 'relationship' more personal (and obviously friendly) then the guards are simply taking more care of you. Not sure if KFC is the right gift to give: if the guy is from anywhere in Isaan (a good bet) he'll more likely give it to someone else. But you've made your friendliness and/or gratitude known . . . and they're responding in a manner which they think will please you, and which is in their power to give: i.e. a higher level of security.

July 29th, 2011, 19:06
Churchill once observed:

"A dog will look up to you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal"

Thus it has always been my policy when dealing with folk from other lands, however rich or poor they may be; to never look down on them nor look up to them, but look to them straight in the eye and take them on the level.

If you get over-chummy with a hotel security guard, he may wonder what you're up to - if you ignore him completely he may feel you're being rude.

Stand tall, make eye-contact, a brief smile and nod of appreciation as you walk past - and they won't want to trouble you..

thonglor55
July 30th, 2011, 07:44
Not sure if KFC is the right gift to give: if the guy is from anywhere in Isaan (a good bet) he'll more likely give it to someone else.Kentucky Fried Locusts perhaps?

bucknaway
July 30th, 2011, 08:01
I have not met a Thai person yet that does not like the Crispy Chicken and Rice dish they prepare at KFC. Sometimes it is a little too spicy for me to eat but that does not stop me from trying :)

dab69
July 31st, 2011, 07:08
Not sure if KFC is the right gift to give: if the guy is from anywhere in Isaan (a good bet) he'll more likely give it to someone else.Kentucky Fried Locusts perhaps?

Kentucky Fried Crickets

thonglor55
July 31st, 2011, 07:11
Not sure if KFC is the right gift to give: if the guy is from anywhere in Isaan (a good bet) he'll more likely give it to someone else.Kentucky Fried Locusts perhaps?Kentucky Fried CricketsGrasshoppers, crickets, katydids, and locusts all belong to the order Orthoptera (http://insects.about.com/od/identifyaninsect/a/grassorcricket.htm).

colmx
July 31st, 2011, 07:17
I have never known a hotel or guesthouse not to ask for ID so everybody is pretty used to it

Same same here

I loathe hotels or guesthouses that check my guests IDs
And my BF feels same...
And needless to say so do our respective guests

The way i look at it - everyone of old enough to look after their own affairs...

If you get robbed == your fault
If the is guy underage == your fault too

My business is none of my hotels business....

thonglor55
July 31st, 2011, 07:22
My business is none of my hotels business....Then you're a damn fool, but I think we knew that already.

colmx
July 31st, 2011, 08:37
My business is none of my hotels business....Then you're a damn fool, but I think we knew that already.
Please clarify.... us fools need clear explanations :dontknow:

In my experience if i'm stupid enough to bring back a thief or an underager back to my room... then i deserve what is coming to me...

I don't need a nanny in my hotel to judge who may or may not be welcome to my room... Thats my BFs job :blackeye: :blackeye:

bucknaway
July 31st, 2011, 10:15
One thing for sure, with the guards checking ID's it does help me from doing something silly like picking up a guy along the beach at night as I stroll back to my room.

Oh and I did say that I have never had a bad experience with a hotel room guest, but I forgot that one guy did steal a bottle of 100 Pipers from my room. He left the box it came in and removed the bottle. I had to buy another bottle to give to my boss as a gift when I returned home.

Come to think of it, the guy that stole the bottle had the nerve to smile in my face the next day and ask to go to my room with me :tard:

thonglor55
July 31st, 2011, 10:25
I don't need a nanny in my hotel to judge who may or may not be welcome to my room... Thats my BFs job :blackeye: :blackeye:And you need an explanation as to why you're a damn fool? You've just provided it.

Shuee
August 1st, 2011, 00:27
Admirable handled Colmx!

may that be a lesson to some idiots here who post trash just because they got nothing better to do & lower the tone of this board, making others seem less interested about reading it & sharing their views for fear of a trashy replies

August 1st, 2011, 01:23
... In my experience if i'm stupid enough to bring back a thief or an underager back to my room... then i deserve what is coming to me...

Sorry I don't quite understand!

The underager bit I understand - it's a simple matter of asking for and checking ID - so, yes, you're stupid if you don't do that.

The thief bit I don't get - there are no precautions you can take - so I don't get how you would be "stupid" in bringing back a potential thief (unless, of course he was wearing black pants, a striped jersey, and carring a large sack over his shoulder with "SWAG" written on it)

:occasion9:

August 1st, 2011, 04:16
The thief bit I don't get - there are no precautions you can take - so I don't get how you would be "stupid" in bringing back a potential thief (unless, of course he was wearing black pants, a striped jersey, and carring a large sack over his shoulder with "SWAG" written on it)

Or wearing a dress with a BBQ in tow!

anonone
August 1st, 2011, 07:22
... In my experience if i'm stupid enough to bring back a thief or an underager back to my room... then i deserve what is coming to me...

Sorry I don't quite understand!

The underager bit I understand - it's a simple matter of asking for and checking ID - so, yes, you're stupid if you don't do that.

I view the hotel ID check as insurance for the underage thing. Not sure about everyone else, but the tiny birthdate on a Thai ID, coupled with the dim lighting in most pickup locations, is not easy for me to read.

More importantly, I would probably not catch if my new friend was using someone else's ID card. One desk clerk at my usual place checks IDs like he is guarding a nuclear plant. Looks at it CLOSELY, compares the picture to the guy, etc.
Not a bad thing, even if mostly just to show how good he is taking care of me... :thumbleft:

I also agree that the guys don't really care. Just the way things are, it is expected.

August 1st, 2011, 09:43
Unbelievable!
The ONLY reason that a person should be offended by ID checks is if they are looking to bring questionable people into a hotel or condo building. I have had many guests have thier IDs checked as well as held until they leave and my guests and I have no problem with it. Nevermind if the boy rips you off for everything you have, but after they leave your room or apartment, they can easily wander the halls and rip someone else off! Many boys carry thier freinds ID and if you run in to a problem, you are looking and may find the wrong boy. Then where do you go? No, when they find me dead, I want them looking for the correct person and I dont want anyone ripping off my neighbors and me having to replace things other than my own.
You are being foolish. The boys dont care less about having thier IDs checked unless tehy dont have the correct ID or you are doing illegally or questionably and for that, they have free rooms for you down at Soi 9.

August 1st, 2011, 15:58
..The boys dont care less about having thier IDs checked ....

True, but the exception to that can be when you have a "regular" and he believes he ought to be exempt because he has visited many times before or maybe even stayed for a few days and considers that he is therefore not "just" a prostitute now!

If/when that happens you can see some very black looks being directed towards the security/hotel staff!!

:rolling: :rolling:

alittlebi-old
August 1st, 2011, 21:16
The way i look at it - everyone of old enough to look after their own affairs...

I have always made this my policy. I never stay at a place that checks ID for the reasons you pointed out.

What I don't understand is all the negative comments about your post.

August 1st, 2011, 21:57
I really think you have to give some thought to the Hotel's viewpoint.

Do they really want to be complicit (by negligence) in underage prostitutes being taken to guest's rooms?

I think not

I have no idea if Jinks considers this "rubbish" but I have no doubt it will become clear shortly.

Beachlover
August 9th, 2011, 23:15
I agree with Justme and Scottish...

Your hotel has a right to check and collect the details of ANYONE who spends the night in one of their rooms.

Not wanting to be complicit in underage stuff is a concern. Safety of their premises and other guests is also a concern.

alittlebi-old
August 10th, 2011, 15:07
I agree with Justme and Scottish...
Your hotel has a right to check and collect the details of ANYONE who spends the night in one of their rooms.

GREAT POINT!! The hotel has a RIGHT to check if they so desire. Just like the hotel has a right to take the id of every guest that you bring in (including your foreigner friends) because it is their property.

I have a RIGHT to stay at a hotel that doesn't exercise their "right" to check each guest.

thonglor55
August 10th, 2011, 17:04
I have a RIGHT to stay at a hotel that doesn't exercise their "right" to check each guestComplete nonsense. All you have is a desire to stay at a hotel that doesn't exercise their right to check each guest. Clearly you don't have the most basic comprehension of what constitutes rights (and obligations). I suspect that in Thailand because you must show your passport when you check in (and indeed carry ID at all times), unlike the West, Thai hotels may have a legal obligation to record all comings and goings at hotels, although some may choose, generally or selectively, not to do so. You have an obligation, as a hotel guest, to ensure you and your visitors do not disrupt the enjoyment of the hotel by other guests, nor endanger their welfare or possessions by allowing those of your visitors who may be light-fingered to wander around at will. I enjoyed my stay for a few days at the Tarntawan last week because one of the many things it has going for it is an understanding that other people's guests are not there to spoil my enjoyment, and one of the ways they control that is by recording ID cards.

donald1
August 10th, 2011, 17:51
I have only run into this checking of the ID a couple times : once when I had a friend come to my room for a shower and change before heading out to dinner and one other time when a beach massage boy came to my room for a private massage. . The clerk in the first case kept the ID until we left and the second one just checked the id and returned it to the thai boy.
All this talk on this thread about thieves and things being stolen....do most hotels copy the id or the information? If someone steals your wallet and you realize it 30 minutes later will the hotel have the information to pass onto the police or are they just checking for age?

thonglor55
August 10th, 2011, 17:57
All this talk on this thread about thieves and things being stolen....do most hotels copy the id or the information? If someone steals your wallet and you realize it 30 minutes later will the hotel have the information to pass onto the police or are they just checking for age?I'm not sure that any of us can answer what "most hotels" do. Tarntawan always call the room if the boy leaves alone (ie. without the punter/hotel guest) to ask if everything is OK and only at that point do they permit the boy to leave the hotel. I believe the security guard by the lift writes down the boy's details off the ID card together with time in and time out. For those who suffer from premature ejaculation recording those statistics alone may be a cause for further performance anxiety.

August 10th, 2011, 19:13
[...For those who suffer from premature ejaculation recording those statistics alone may be a cause for further performance anxiety.

Remember the age of most of your readers - non-ejaculation is far more likely than pre

August 12th, 2011, 04:14

Same same here

And my BF feels same...
And needless to say so do our respective guests

Yeah! how fucking stupid you are? if the guy is under age, jail for you dear, and serves you right? hotel staff take id cards to
ensure the boy is over 18, so unless you are a peado? why would you object?

Beachlover
August 14th, 2011, 23:49
if the guy is under age, jail for you dear, and serves you right?
Unfortunately, in LMTU's case... there was no jail. He paid a bribe to avoid jail.