PDA

View Full Version : Prostitution really is illegal in Thailand

thonglor55
July 25th, 2011, 09:57
And if you're a foreign bar owner, you may have to worry, if this week's Stickman column (http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2011/Thai-women-myths.htm) is to be believed:
I wouldn't say they are nervous per se, but some farang bar bosses and managers in Pattaya are much more aware of the precarious situation their job puts them in following the arrest of an Australian bar manager last week. A foreigner availed himself of the service of some lasses on the premises and the boys in brown appeared soon after and the Aussie bar boss was arrested. Bangkok pool There is fallout from this incident with some farang bar bosses and managers explicitly telling mamasans NOT to negotiate prices and services with a customer while the girl is in the bar. The barfine can be paid and whatever happens following that is between the customer and the girl. The worry is that merely negotiating services on the premises could be enough for the finger to be pointed at the farang boss who could face charges for pimping. This arrest was not random and when busts like this occur, you have to look closely at why it happened. Bars don't just get busted randomly. So long as the bar bosses keep their noses clean, keep the right people happy and don't rock the boat, odds are they won't have any problems.

mahjongguy
July 25th, 2011, 11:40
It's not prostitution that is illegal. It's pimping. Thus the BIB leverage against bar owners.

July 25th, 2011, 11:49
Obviously he must have missed his moNthly donations to the correct charity.

Thai Dyed
July 25th, 2011, 12:09
I wouldn't worry about this at all. Regarding the sex trade, Thailand has been going through slow and subtle changes for a long time now. Between 1980 and 1995 it was in an upward trend, and then took a turn for the long slow slide downward that we see continuing today. But there have been no abrupt changes when viewed over the longer term. I am speaking from the standpoint of someone who comes here for sex whether he is a tourist or resident. The NGOs and moral hysterics will tell you the exact reverse. So will those who have shacked up with one, or only a few, long term tricks.

MARK
July 25th, 2011, 12:14
I am changing my religion to Buddhism I want to come back as a police man in the next life. :iroc: :occasion9: :nzd: :violent1: :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc: :bis:

July 25th, 2011, 13:23
We have a guy at work every time he goes for a shit he calls it "Giving birth to a policeman".

Thai Dyed
July 25th, 2011, 13:55
I still think we can learn a lot from the Greeks on how to handle the police. After all, we have all been taught that Greece was the birthplace of democracy.

[attachment=4:1fxzuv2h]pigs on fire 1.jpg[/attachment:1fxzuv2h][attachment=3:1fxzuv2h]pigs on fire 2.jpg[/attachment:1fxzuv2h][attachment=2:1fxzuv2h]pigs on fire 3.jpg[/attachment:1fxzuv2h][attachment=1:1fxzuv2h]pigs on fire 4.jpg[/attachment:1fxzuv2h][attachment=0:1fxzuv2h]pigs on fire 5.jpg[/attachment:1fxzuv2h]

Narakmak
July 25th, 2011, 18:56
Running a flesh trade bar IS pimping no matter how you slice it. People aren't paying off fees to talk about the theater scene in Udon.
Personally I don't think the Thai government should grant work permits to even one foreigner to run a sex for sale business. That is something Thais can handle quite well. Maybe the do allow it because they are embarrassed about how Thailand is scene as the world's knocking shop so this way they can blame foreigners.

MARK
July 25th, 2011, 18:58
Did you actually have to go to school to work that one out ? :sex: 300 please :sex:

July 25th, 2011, 22:58
I am of the belief that farangs in the flesh trade use a Thai to hold the license in his or her name.

mahjongguy
July 26th, 2011, 02:30
I am of the belief that farangs in the flesh trade use a Thai to hold the license in his or her name.
Yes, generally all foreign businesses in Thailand are operated through Thai companies that appear to have a majority of Thai owners. One big exception is Americans; via the Amity Treaty, they are allowed to create Thai companies without having that pretense.

July 31st, 2011, 22:09
All bars that have working girls or boys are running close to the wind, legally, which is why they all pay 'tea money' to the police.

It is not illegal to run a bar, provided you observe the laws on opening times, have your beer and whisky licences up to date, and all your staff are over 21 - yes, it's 21 to work in a place that sells alcohol - a good reason for many to pay their tea money..

The bar fine system is not confined to bars - ask a motor repair shop for the services of one of the mechanics to get your car to start, and you'll be expected to pay not only for the guy's time and materials, but also 300 baht (or thereabouts..) for taking a member of the bosses' staff off the premises.

So bar fines are not illegal. However discussing the nature of sexual services to be provided while still inside the bar, or the amount of money you will have to pay, is considered to be part and parcel of prostitution, and therefore illegal.

It goes without saying that ST rooms are not legal, but tolerated if the tea money is paid.

Why did the police raid this bar? He may have upset another bar owner (and remember, some bars are actually owned by the police, and are mostly staffed by women who should be behind bars of the steel variety..) His premises might have been involved with drugs to some extent.

Or he might have reasoned that because his staff were all over 21, and he didn't have an ST room, and he told his staff never to discuss what was going to happen after the bar fine was paid, or how much the customer would give them - that he wasn't going to pay the bloody tea money..

..and has now learned the hard way how the Thai police do business..!

Shuee
August 1st, 2011, 00:13
just ask a falang bar owner how they handle the license & whose holds it,

hi mark KD so whose the front man for your setup?

As regards to the poster saying thais can run the bar business better than falang, i disagree to an extent, maybe as they know the bib system better but some cant even arrange lunch in a restaurant! also the more the better i say, thats why we still need a good mix & not many thais are financially in a position to open a bar tomorrow, where as falangs are! Also falangs have a better financial stamina to sustain to be open longer when hit with bar fines, its very clear really

August 1st, 2011, 16:30
shuee,

The smart farang bar owners have a Thai name on all the legal documents and licenses - often their wife's - and merely focus on making sure the customers have a good time. If the police come calling, they know better than to pick a row with them and let the Thais do the talking.

The last time I saw a farang owned bar receive an official visit, the owner immediately wandered calmly over to the bar across the soi, got a beer, and watched until they left..

MARK
August 2nd, 2011, 12:44
All bars that have working girls or boys are running close to the wind, legally, which is why they all pay 'tea money' to the police.

It is not illegal to run a bar, provided you observe the laws on opening times, have your beer and whisky licences up to date, and all your staff are over 21 - yes, it's 21 to work in a place that sells alcohol - a good reason for many to pay their tea money..

The bar fine system is not confined to bars - ask a motor repair shop for the services of one of the mechanics to get your car to start, and you'll be expected to pay not only for the guy's time and materials, but also 300 baht (or thereabouts..) for taking a member of the bosses' staff off the premises.

So bar fines are not illegal. However discussing the nature of sexual services to be provided while still inside the bar, or the amount of money you will have to pay, is considered to be part and parcel of prostitution, and therefore illegal.

It goes without saying that ST rooms are not legal, but tolerated if the tea money is paid.

Why did the police raid this bar? He may have upset another bar owner (and remember, some bars are actually owned by the police, and are mostly staffed by women who should be behind bars of the steel variety..) His premises might have been involved with drugs to some extent.

Or he might have reasoned that because his staff were all over 21, and he didn't have an ST room, and he told his staff never to discuss what was going to happen after the bar fine was paid, or how much the customer would give them - that he wasn't going to pay the bloody tea money..

..and has now learned the hard way how the Thai police do business..!

You need to check your facts people may read this and think you are actually right. Well 50% is right.

MARK
August 2nd, 2011, 12:54
just ask a falang bar owner how they handle the license & whose holds it,

hi mark KD so whose the front man for your setup?

As regards to the poster saying thais can run the bar business better than falang, i disagree to an extent, maybe as they know the bib system better but some cant even arrange lunch in a restaurant! also the more the better i say, thats why we still need a good mix & not many thais are financially in a position to open a bar tomorrow, where as falangs are! Also falangs have a better financial stamina to sustain to be open longer when hit with bar fines, its very clear really

The managers name and photo is on the wall for all to see and he is in the bar most days a manager of bar requires him to manage the bar not own it. A Thai company may own the bar or foreign's could rent bars quite legally.

August 2nd, 2011, 15:22
You need to check your facts people may read this and think you are actually right. Well 50% is right.

More or less 100% for most places in Thailand, but I'm aware that Pattaya has a degree of local autonomy..