PDA

View Full Version : Bad / Happy / Strange moments in Thailand

neoncrusade
July 21st, 2011, 19:07
There's a lot about sex written and discussed on this board, but as most contributing here seem to be 'old hands' in Thailand either as visitors or ex pats, I wondered if any would share some of their other memorable 'non sex' moments in LOS?

My worst moment was visiting a friend's family in the middle of nowhere, past Nong Khai, along the Mekong, and witnessing the slaughter of a cow. I hadn't been told beforehand that this was going to happen, and the locals including young kids watched it all while munching crisps and having a laugh. As there was no such thing here as a local supermarket, this was the only way to get meat. As someone used to nipping down to Tesco and getting a joint, it came as a big eye opener. Watching a cow hammered to death and being cut open and internal organs removed and guts taken out etc etc all in the space of 30 mins...never again...

One of strangest moments happened when one of my Thai friends asked me if I wanted to watch his granny get wet. I wasn't sure I heard right, but as he mentioned lots of food afterwards I happily agreed. When I got to his village, all the local grannies had been rounded up and sat in a row; there were about seven of them. All the families then took turns to cover the grannies in water ( some of the younger ones wanted to use their hand held water cannon, but the headman said no - it would probably have shot the grannies out of their seats!). The sight of this bedraggled row of old women, dripping water would have graced an episode of Monty Python!
If anyone knows what this event is all about.....please let me know!

cdnmatt
July 21st, 2011, 19:44
One just happened a few days ago. Went to Kim's step-dad's funeral. Many aspects of the funeral were quite similar compared to the West, but there were several differences as well, the major one being the cremation. They cremate the body during the funeral, and Issan is too poor to have proper crematoriums, so instead there's a small structure built by the local temple. Simply some stairs going up to it, a small patio in the front, and a small room with a chimney.

What they do is take a metal trough type of thing on a stand, fill it with natural charcoal, and put the body (in a box) on it. After everyone says their goodbyes to the body, they light it on fire, and stick the body in the little room. There the body slowly burns and smoulders, causing quite the stench, and leaving all the bones intact afterwards. That fire is good enough for cooking a BBQ, but definitely not for cremating a body.

PinkSilom
July 21st, 2011, 19:50
When I got to his village, all the local grannies had been rounded up and sat in a row; there were about seven of them. All the families then took turns to cover the grannies in water. If anyone knows what this event is all about.....please let me know!

A wet T-shirt contest?

July 21st, 2011, 21:07
...all the local grannies had been rounded up and sat in a row; there were about seven of them.... took turns to cover the grannies in water. If anyone knows what this event is all about...

It's what passes for a shower-show at the Corner Bar in Sunee.

:occasion9:

lukylok
July 22nd, 2011, 01:16
It's what passes for a shower-show at the Corner Bar in Sunee.

:occasion9:[/quote]

Sorry, I couldn't help laughing !

July 22nd, 2011, 01:47
You're welcome!

:hello1: :hello1:

neoncrusade
July 22nd, 2011, 03:24
Very funny guys :rolling: Never been to the Corner Bar.....jeez it sounds horrific!