PDA

View Full Version : Are things getting expensive for Thai's?

bucknaway
July 17th, 2011, 10:10
As I start reserving my hotel rooms as well as researching travel costs I have noticed that everything has gone up in Thailand since last year. The rooms have gone up a few hundred Baht a night, I hear the bars have gone up in price and that got me to thinking.... But first, let me walk you through my thought process to avoid any message board attacks.

When I looked at Babylon's room rates, I noticed the prices went up and I wondered how many average Thai guys would be willing to pay the rate asked there. I booked my Condo in Pattaya and there the daily rate went up a few hundred baht. It even looked a if some of the guys who advertise their massage services have gone up in price. Everything is going up and wages are still flat.

I began to wonder.... At the rate drink prices and hotel rooms are going up, what will the price be in 5 years? Will drinks be 600 or 800 baht in a bar? Will the small rooms at Babylon be going for 2800 Baht a night? I am sure that the US Dollar will be hurting for value making the baht something expensive to buy.

But still... The average tourist will be able to withstand the higher prices but what of the average Thai? Are we tourist driving up the prices to the point that we will create hardship for the average Thai citizen?

Is Thailand headed for a hard fall when the tourist money dries up?

Is anyone in the Thai Government worried about the rate of inflation?

Am I just thinking too much?

thonglor55
July 17th, 2011, 10:21
You're missing the point bucky - that's not how the Thais think. In America if you get fewer customers you have sale to get higher turnover. In Thailand fewer customers means you put the prices up so that your revenue stays the same. That's Thai thinking for you! If you haven't noticed (and if you're outside Thailand you won't) but Thai businesses quote separate prices - one for Thais, the other for foreigners. For example the Thai price for Grand Diamond Pratunam is around 1600 - 1800 a night including breakfast. For foreigners it's around 2500 a night, no breakfast.

July 18th, 2011, 16:58
Is Thailand headed for a hard fall when the tourist money dries up?

Is anyone in the Thai Government worried about the rate of inflation?(quote)bucknaway

Tourism represents a piddly 6% of the Thai economy, as exports are at a high.........Perhaps this might help answer your question.

stevehadders
July 18th, 2011, 17:01
Man4all seasons - you are absolutely right - the reliance on tourism has fallen dramatically over the last 10 years - the automotive sector, clothes sector and agricultural export sector are booming.

Thor69
July 18th, 2011, 19:41
A perfect example why the Thais are not concerned about tourism is to fly the national carrier internationally.
Over the last five years or so they have let the service and quality slide to a new low. :glasses7:

Beachlover
August 9th, 2011, 23:36
Don't know about getting expensive for Thais but as far as getting expensive FOR TOURISTS goes, Thailand has a LONG way to go before before it gets expensive!

Seriously, how can ANYONE complain about Bangkok being expensive? Bangkok is as cheap as it gets for major world cities!

1. You land in Bangkok and pay all of about $9 for a door to door taxi ride to your hotel.

2. Your five-star hotel can be as little as $100/night. Or four-stars for $80. A good mid-tier hotel might be less than $60. A livable budget hotel for as little $30-$40. On the other end of the scale, something ridiculously extravagant like the St Regis or Hansar can be had for as little as $260 in Bangkok ($500+ elsewhere).

3. After you check in you can be LAZY and get a cab everywhere and it'll cost you maybe, $3 a ride.

4. Dinner can be as little as under $2 for a nice nice street food meal or the degustation menu at a top restaurant for all of about $45.

5. A beer at your average bar or nightclub is rarely more than $3-$4.

5. Can't remember what I paid for the cinema last time but it started with a "1" (i.e. 100-200 baht = $6 at most)

6. Get a nice massage for as little as $10. ($70-$100 in Sydney, which has been invaded by Thai massage joints)

7. A good haircut is maybe $7 ($40 in Sydney)

8. Do a bit of shopping... designer t-shirts from a local designer are $6 ($50 in Sydney).

Compared to other world cities, Bangkok is just ridiculous.

Tripadvisor agrees. Bangkok was recently rated CHEAPEST out of the world's top 50 tourist cities...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
World's priciest, cheapest cities for travellers named

The least expensive international city was Bangkok, Thailand, with those expenses totaling $US112, with Beijing ($US120), Egypt's Sharm El Sheikh ($US128) and Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur ($US134) also among the cheapest.

Hotel and taxi costs were key factors in determining the cheapest destinations.
One night in a four-star hotel in Bangkok was just $US86 тАУ compared to over $US300 in six of the ten most expensive world destinations.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... 1ib2y.html (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/worlds-priciest-cheapest-cities-for-travellers-named-20110803-1ib2y.html)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cameroncat
August 10th, 2011, 01:25
The slightly higher costs in Thailand and the dropping Baht don't affect my traveling to Thailand as the ever increasing pricing of flying there. 10 years ago when I first started visiting Thailand, I could fly from Los Angeles on EVA round trip in Premium Economy for about $750 anytime of the year. Same Premium economy ticket on EVA or Thai now days is about $2000 and rising. This has forced me to take one Long vacation in Thailand per year instead of several shorter trips.

cdnmatt
August 10th, 2011, 04:09
Fuck the Thais, things are getting expensive for Canadians too:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2dkmiph.png

Bleh... and here we go again. Back to me getting pissed off at the ATM every time I go.

Smiles
August 10th, 2011, 08:19
Take a longer view (5 yrs) and the CAN dollar is about median right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/5y.jpg

. . . unlike the US dollar, which gave Americans lots more fun money 5 years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/5y-us.jpg

(Love currency whiners)

August 11th, 2011, 16:18
Smiles,

Have you got one for Sterling handy?

Also Beachy,

I don't know where trip advisor are getting their stats, although I won't argue, but what about Vientiane and Phnom Penn, far cheaper than Bangkok, although not as much fun.............. :laughing3:

jinks
August 11th, 2011, 22:15
Sterling >>>>>>

[attachment=0:1prr4bq4]baht.jpg[/attachment:1prr4bq4]

Beachlover
August 11th, 2011, 22:32
I would post a graph for the Australian dollar but I might be accused of being insensitive to others' feelings. :rolling:

I don't know where trip advisor are getting their stats, although I won't argue, but what about Vientiane and Phnom Penn, far cheaper than Bangkok, although not as much fun...
Totally agree those two cities are cheaper than Bangkok. But the TripAdvisor survey was for the top 50 world cities by tourist arrivals so only big cities qualify.

August 12th, 2011, 10:13
I would post a graph for the Australian dollar but I might be accused of being insensitive to others' feelings. :rolling:

I don't know where trip advisor are getting their stats, although I won't argue, but what about Vientiane and Phnom Penn, far cheaper than Bangkok, although not as much fun...
Totally agree those two cities are cheaper than Bangkok. But the TripAdvisor survey was for the top 50 world cities by tourist arrivals so only big cities qualify.

Whoa,

Don't tell them here in Laos they are not a major economy in the World, they'll get annoyed, especially if you find someone awake to tell!

danny99
August 14th, 2011, 10:51
As I start reserving my hotel rooms as well as researching travel costs I have noticed that everything has gone up in Thailand since last year.
But still... The average tourist will be able to withstand the higher prices but what of the average Thai? Are we tourist driving up the prices to the point that we will create hardship for the average Thai citizen? Is Thailand headed for a hard fall when the tourist money dries up?

Is anyone in the Thai Government worried about the rate of inflation?
Am I just thinking too much?

If you think Thailand is expensive do NOt go to Singapore or even BALI [where only the labour-intensive things are cheap, such as lcoal restaurants, massage,laundry, tailoring, etc...anything imported and all hotels ridiculously expensive]. As a resident of SE Asia I regularly visit Bangkok for a very cheap week of hotel [$30 at Pinnacle Lumpinee with free wi-fi, buffet breakfast, top deck of swimming pool, sauna and steam], Balcony [4 Whisky Sodas same price as ONE in Bali] and eats [Pad Thai, Thai Omelettes, etc less than $3...world class Swiss at Chesa $120 for two with wine, or best Thai in the world at Nahm for $50 p.p.]

Thailand expensive? I think it is the best value in Asia, although not quite as much outside of Bangkok.

ikarus
August 14th, 2011, 11:32
With new government planned spending and infra structure programs many economists predict both inflation and baht appreciation That is, of course, if the rest of the world will not fall into another recession. Anyway, I used recent spike in Swiss frank to exchange pretty much all my Swiss frank savings to Thai Baht and Malaysian ringit.

bucknaway
August 14th, 2011, 23:08
This cartoon from the Opinion page is what made me wonder if Thai's are feeling the bite of inflation.

:: From 2bangkok.com ::

[attachment=0:u817qxn7]thairath110718b.jpg[/attachment:u817qxn7]

From ThaiRath, July 18, 2011
Cartoon caption: Sacrifice for starving stomachs [means the very rich should sacrifice to implement the 300-baht daily minimum wage for those in need]
At left a farmer is holding a sign that reads: Farmers grow poorer forever as rice traders grow richer.
Yingluck ShinawatraтАЩs right hand is holding the hand of the man whose shirt reads тАЭLaborer.тАЭ This man says: ItтАЩs not enough to survive on.
YingluckтАЩs left hand is taking money from the pocket of a man whose shirt reads тАЬFeudal entrepreneurтАЭ [sort of like a medieval landlord] and his pocket reads: 300-baht minimum wage
This man is holding a big bag that reads: Growing rich on the sweat and labor of others.
Left mouse says: We want justice.
Right mouse is holding a sign that reads: Release the UDD prisoners.

Beachlover
August 14th, 2011, 23:15
If you think Thailand is expensive do NOt go to Singapore or even BALI
Totally agree with your perspective. I remember paying $19 per cocktail in Singapore one night and then $2.50 per cocktail the next night in Cambodia!

Thailand sort of lies in the middle of these two extremes. It's not as cheap as the most dirt cheap destinations but still cheaper than most SE Asia destinations... This makes it an absolute bargain when you consider what's on offer in Bangkok compared to other equally-cheap SE Asian cities, which can get boring after a couple of visits.

ceejay
August 14th, 2011, 23:18
I was in Thailand at the time of the recent election, and although I didn't go out of the way to discuss politics, I did talk about them with a few (not scientifically selected)people and the price of food was one of only two subjects of concern that I heard raised more than once. The minimum wage is only just above a subsistence wage. With food a much higher proportion of the outgoings of those on the lowest wage, then high food inflation will have a disproportionate effect on the poor.
(The other recurrent theme, by the way, on both sides of the political fence, was that Abhisit had not achieved anything)

gaymandenmark
August 15th, 2011, 00:12
Maybe Thailand is still cheap for most of us visitors, but my thai friends tells me, that daily life is more expensive than ever.

ikarus
August 15th, 2011, 01:02
I was in Thailand at the time of the recent election, and although I didn't go out of the way to discuss politics, I did talk about them with a few (not scientifically selected)people and the price of food was one of only two subjects of concern that I heard raised more than once. The minimum wage is only just above a subsistence wage. With food a much higher proportion of the outgoings of those on the lowest wage, then high food inflation will have a disproportiogapnate effect on the poor.
(The other recurrent theme, by the way, on both sides of the political fence, was that Abhisit had not achieved anything) That is exactly right. While, generally speaking, the idea of raising the minimal wage is counterproductive,
in concrete conditions of Thailand is the only way to go. The new government is business and market oriented and they need to gradually remove various subsidies and rely more upon market mechanisms. But they also understand that existing and growing gap between those who have and those who have not is major source of existing social tensions within Thai society.
Hence, one of the major goals is elimination of poverty. That would require a lot of government spending and it looks like that inflation is inevitable. But equally one can expect accelerating economic growth and raise of living standards among the poor.

August 15th, 2011, 07:11
quote="ikarus"]
I was in Thailand at the time of the recent election, and although I didn't go out of the way to discuss politics, I did talk about them with a few (not scientifically selected)people and the price of food was one of only two subjects of concern that I heard raised more than once. The minimum wage is only just above a subsistence wage. With food a much higher proportion of the outgoings of those on the lowest wage, then high food inflation will have a disproportiogapnate effect on the poor.
(The other recurrent theme, by the way, on both sides of the political fence, was that Abhisit had not achieved anything) That is exactly right. While, generally speaking, the idea of raising the minimal wage is counterproductive,
in concrete conditions of Thailand is the only way to go. The new government is business and market oriented and they need to gradually remove various subsidies and rely more upon market mechanisms. But they also understand that existing and growing gap between those who have and those who have not is major source of existing social tensions within Thai society.
Hence, one of the major goals is elimination of poverty. That would require a lot of government spending and it looks like that inflation is inevitable. But equally one can expect accelerating economic growth and raise of living standards among the poor.[/quote]

Hi,

ikarus,

I hope you are right and I am alive to see it but I am apprehensive on this with too many false dawns and broken promises by the various Thai governments. The go go boys have put their prices up to counteract this inflation but I strongly suspect it's poverty and business as usual in the rural areas.

Brisboy82
August 15th, 2011, 07:39
If you think Thailand is expensive do NOt go to Singapore or even BALI
Totally agree with your perspective. I remember paying $19 per cocktail in Singapore one night and then $2.50 per cocktail the next night in Cambodia!

Thailand sort of lies in the middle of these two extremes. It's not as cheap as the most dirt cheap destinations but still cheaper than most SE Asia destinations... This makes it an absolute bargain when you consider what's on offer in Bangkok compared to other equally-cheap SE Asian cities, which can get boring after a couple of visits.

Considering $19 is about an hours wage in Singapore and $2.50 is more than a days wage in Cambodia that means Singapore is still more affordable in relative terms.

$19 wouldn't be particularly expensive for a cocktail in Australia.

bucknaway
August 15th, 2011, 08:51
As long as corruption is accepted and advanced, the average citizen has very little chance of escaping their situation no matter how much money the Government claims to throw their way.

Dboy
August 15th, 2011, 10:27
The new government is business and market oriented and they need to gradually remove various subsidies and rely more upon market mechanisms. But they also understand that existing and growing gap between those who have and those who have not is major source of existing social tensions within Thai society.
Hence, one of the major goals is elimination of poverty. That would require a lot of government spending and it looks like that inflation is inevitable. But equally one can expect accelerating economic growth and raise of living standards among the poor.

http://redactednews.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... y-cia.html (http://redactednews.blogspot.com/2011/08/exposed-indy-newspaper-funded-by-cia.html)

ikarus
August 15th, 2011, 11:52
Sorry, what is a point of your link? Are you suggesting I am funded by CIA? I wish, I would... :rolling:

ikarus
August 15th, 2011, 12:02
quote="ikarus"]
Hence, one of the major goals is elimination of poverty. That would require a lot of government spending and it looks like that inflation is inevitable. But equally one can expect accelerating economic growth and raise of living standards among the poor.Kevin,
Sorry, it is unrelated to the thread and perhaps you already answered this question somewhere. Is there any chance that they will allow back to Thailand? If so, perhaps we will have a chance to have a normal bar in Pattaya again...

Hi,

ikarus,

I hope you are right and I am alive to see it but I am apprehensive on this with too many false dawns and broken promises by the various Thai governments. The go go boys have put their prices up to counteract this inflation but I strongly suspect it's poverty and business as usual in the rural areas.[/quote]

August 15th, 2011, 12:59
Hi,

At the moment ikarus I am preparing all ammunition and getting lawyers to prepare and outline all the faults, contradictions, and the best of all, is to bring in evidemce not previously given or used by the Court, i.e. new evidence. as in all Countries.

I am told this is the best way of all as it allows them the ' out ' and also that you can then bring in all factors more strongly that I felt were not given enough attention. Having said all that, with what I hear on here, from e mails and people who have been this last couple of years, I ask myself, do I want that again?

Preparing all this evidence will be twofold, for the book and / or to have the case properly investigated but I will be well prepared this next time.

Beachlover
August 15th, 2011, 23:43
I am told this is the best way of all as it allows them the ' out '
As a leading book on negotiation, "Getting Past NO" says... "Build them a golden bridge [to retreat across without losing face]".

Considering $19 is about an hours wage in Singapore and $2.50 is more than a days wage in Cambodia that means Singapore is still more affordable in relative terms.

True... but the previous post I responded to was referring to visitors/tourists who complain about costs. Not locals.

I think it's a bit simplistic to compare hourly and daily wages. Wages in Singapore vary hugely. They earn from as little as $6/hr (common for security guards, hospitality and unskilled labour) to the kind of salaries expected in wealthy Western countries. Wages vary in Cambodia too. It's easy to find ordinary people earning $20-30/day.

bucknaway
August 16th, 2011, 02:04
Who cares how cheap it is on the moon if you never plan to be there?

Brisboy82
August 16th, 2011, 03:10
I am told this is the best way of all as it allows them the ' out '
As a leading book on negotiation, "Getting Past NO" says... "Build them a golden bridge [to retreat across without losing face]".

True... but the previous post I responded to was referring to visitors/tourists who complain about costs. Not locals.

I think it's a bit simplistic to compare hourly and daily wages. Wages in Singapore vary hugely. They earn from as little as $6/hr (common for security guards, hospitality and unskilled labour) to the kind of salaries expected in wealthy Western countries. Wages vary in Cambodia too. It's easy to find ordinary people earning $20-30/day.
I realize that but these countries are not set up to cater for us. Alcohol in Singapore carries a very high tax and add to that the labour costs and all the rest of running a bar in Singapore and the profit margin may well be higher in Cambodia.

witchhunt
August 16th, 2011, 17:20
I realize that but these countries are not set up to cater for us. Alcohol in Singapore carries a very high tax and add to that the labour costs and all the rest of running a bar in Singapore and the profit margin may well be higher in Cambodia.

Beautifully put. I am sure that badboybilly would have put it in exactly the same words.