PDA

View Full Version : P.D.R.LAO updated

July 3rd, 2011, 21:43
Hi,

I am in P.D.R. Lao, as it is called by the nationals who inform me there is no ' s ' in the name of their Country.

Visa

Visa on arrival is very easy and costs $35 USD. for one month single entry.It is quick, easy and efficient. Cash only and no facility to exchange money, so make sure you have it ready with two photos. I was apprehensive about all this till I saw how smooth it operates. We were the only jet aircraft on the runway, may be the only aircraft, with the exception of two Lao airline prop planes and an antiquated baggage handling service.

Hotel.

The Chanthapanya Hotel is OK, rooms are clean and basic and staff extremely cute and friendly but having now seen the rooms and location of others, I would definitely recommend the rooms at the Lao Orchid Hotel. The rooms alone warrant the great reveiew I think it deserves and if you can afford it, pay the extra and get a suite at $70. If you like a pool, stay at Chanthapanya on the second floor if possible. Going rate is $47 there, but don't rush down for breakfast!! mind you, it's cheap enough outside the hotel and available in good quality coffee shops. The best hotel and newest I have seen is the Salana, but don't know about bringing back to the hotel, and use Agoda to book and get the room at ┬г43 ++

Bars

The GQ bar is nearby to the Lao Orchid Hotel. There is a bit of coercing taking place by certain active members of GR based in Laos, who are running businesses here, and inviting you to meet up with them. It is all an attempt to control your places to visit and spending habits, so be warned, as if they get their way you will spend your time only in their bars or friends bars. GQ is popular, the owner Lay friendly but it needs money spending on toilets and sound system and an upgrade. He is aware of this, and I told him anyway. Quite a few locals get in there.

CCC bar is a posher version of GQ, friendly staff but I noticed a lot of the boys visiting walk around with a bit of a nose in the air and a superior attemp at attitude. They are more the plucked eyebrow and shiny face brigade who have never done a days work in their life. I found it to be that way on my visit. The place is clean and tidy with a lip sync show. Crap show for me but some may like it. I have been looking at the drinks menu (and this is a nice bar), $1.25 a bottle of beer (78p) and nothing much above $2.00! Even in the hotel bars,drink prices are cheap and cheerful!

Dom Cham Palace has a booming Hollywood style disco operating. It is a poor relation to the Thai Hollywood but draws a crowd and is certainly popular. Many freelancers trying their luck.

Bor pen yang bar

A rooftop nice beer palace on the front by the river overlooking Thailand with good staff, great music and mixed clientele. I love it.

A few myths to dispel. Everything does not close at midnight, there is action and activity in Vientiane until 4.00am and some bars are open till about 2.00 am at the moment. I don't say this is legal but they are doing it and no one seems to mind. I have met up with an Englsh guy from Thailand and we have had a ball exploring bars.

The best bar with an outside beer garden and back room karaoke and well out of the way an off the beaten track with fresh student guys and we were told, had not been visited by Foreigners before, was called Happy bar. They do not advertise at all and it is not frequented at all by westerners, I was told it was for Lao nationals as a rule, although we were made extremely welcome! A bottle of JW Red with mixers, loads of attention and good fun company was 1,000 baht.

They did charge 500 baht per off, but I think they just plucked this figure out of the air as I cannot see Lao nationals paying it. I also cannot give an address so you'll have to find a local prepared to take you!! It is down a dirt track and within a compound, and for sure I would not find it in daylight. The off fee was offset by the cheap bar prices!!

I would say it is best to change your money into local currency as the accept USD but give you a poor exchange rate. Tuk tuks are far more expensive than Thailand, and the attitude of some of them would be better placed with those rogues operating taxis in Phuket. There are also a lot of these guys trying to sell ganja.

These Lao guys are not as hungry as the MB in Thailand and certainly more laid back. You can catch their poor attempts at conning a lot easier too. I have found a lot of them with acceptable and even good English spoken. There seems to be lots of student guys around but it is the capital after all.

Bar prices are very acceptable everywhere you go as is good food. I will keep you updated as we go but won't be glued to my keyboard.

It is a very different experience. Hotel receptionists are usually asleep and don't even notice trade being dragged back nor lift their heads from their slumber.

It is also apparent and a refreshing change not to see any Police at all around the streets, no cops on motorbikes or in pick ups.

a447
July 4th, 2011, 15:24
Great report Kevin. Thanks.
Are there lots of moneyboys in GQ and CCC bars? Any info you can give about compensation (short time and long time)?
I've been contacting boys on Gayromeo but would like to see them in person, so I would prefer going to a bar rather than use GR.

July 4th, 2011, 23:49
Great report Kevin. Thanks.
Are there lots of moneyboys in GQ and CCC bars? Any info you can give about compensation (short time and long time)?
I've been contacting boys on Gayromeo but would like to see them in person, so I would prefer going to a bar rather than use GR.

Hi,

At weekends you get a good few in GQ and CCC .

Why not arrange to meet up with some locals via GR,just say you would like to buy them a drink and get advice on where to go in their wonderful Country, they as we do,lke to be flattered, and then you can have a look at them and see if they live up to the photo on GR!!

They are not as aggressive as Thais can be if they get a refusal, I think maybe, because you are also not in a go go bar environment and they don't want to be seen by their friends as active MBs.

Even better, if you can, talk to them on skype first, then you've seen them in advance, but be wary of what I said in my previous post and don't join their merry go round here they start to control your movements and destinations. Whose holiday is it anyway, that's what I bloody say! Ha!

You can pick up in your hotel if you're a cheeky bugger like me, honestly it's not difficult!

Don't chase any trade, it will fall in your lap if you are pleasant and easygoing.

Restaurant and accommodation.

I haven't seen the rooms but the indoor and outdoor restaurants at 'Khop chai deu' are nice to visit with very cute staff. Big bottles of beer in the garden just over $3 and an extensive food menu. It's a good location too near my hotel and the Lao culural museum.

This place is good and inexpensive for everything I can think of anyway, and if you look around you can get great value for money whatever your budget. My friend Steve from UK, says he normally budgets in Thailand for 10,000 baht a day for going out and trade and is struggling here to spend 3,000 baht all in!

It's easy to get along with the locals and very laid back. No rushing around here.

Khor tose
July 5th, 2011, 01:14
Thanks Kevin. Great report on the hotels and the boys. However, if you get a chance, can you tell us about dining experiences and/or things we might want to see?

July 5th, 2011, 01:42
Thanks Kevin. Great report on the hotels and the boys. However, if you get a chance, can you tell us about dining experiences and/or things we might want to see?

Hi Khor Tose,

It will be a pleasure and I will be doing that over next couple of days. I have just met up with Tam, my LTR, and we are taking it chilled and easy for now.

Try the outdoor garden at Khop chai deu or even the indoor we ate Lao food and they do fried crickets, BBQ pork on skewers, Larb moo and som tam,amongst other favourites and also a very extensive western menu. Pleasant,cheap and cheerful in a garden setting

We are going to an Italian restaurant tomorrow evening and I'll let you know about it.

Good looking staff at KHOP CHAI DEU too! hehehehe!

God, it's fabulous to be back here!

a447
July 7th, 2011, 19:02
Hi Kevin.
Any information about how much the boys want in the way of...er...compensation?
Are CCC and GQ good places to find guys during the week, not just at the wekends?
Glad to read yiou are enjoying Laos. I just hope I do too!
Thanks.

Beachlover
July 7th, 2011, 22:21
Sweet report, Kquill... Thanks!

Salana Hotel does look pretty sweet. Thanks for the tip.

I assume the bars you mention are busiest on weekends. But are they still pretty busy on weeknights?

July 7th, 2011, 23:07
Sweet report, Kquill... Thanks!

Salana Hotel does look pretty sweet. Thanks for the tip.

I assume the bars you mention are busiest on weekends. But are they still pretty busy on weeknights?

Hi,

I think they are struggling weeknights and the only ones making money are the mixed disco's. We are finding it that way anyway. I wouldn't fancy your chances much dealing only with gays and the pink dollar/pound.

a447,

The guys expect similar to Thailand it that department. Those who are prepared to go and you can see that on your gaydar.

There are many non MBs!!! The Lao guys are quite stunning, I have seen them in Thailand but not all in one place at one time. As I said, maybe spoilt for choice as this is the capital.

You will find guys midweek in both GQ and CCC. Yes. so we are finding at this time and we are having a laugh with them too! It is Lazy laid back Lao.

Had a PM from a friend in KL, I will let him tell you how he is getting on, but I bet he will swap places in a breath.

Many want LTR in Lao, or they are not interested

Beachlover
July 7th, 2011, 23:10
Ah bugger, thanks. I'm always planning my trips around hitting certain places on weekends because that's when the nightlife is going. Go to KL or Singapore on a weeknight and there's no gay nightclubs going! Weekends only...

Although, don't mind mixed discos as long as the gay corner is obvious enough.

Damn...

July 18th, 2011, 10:00
Ah bugger, thanks. I'm always planning my trips around hitting certain places on weekends because that's when the nightlife is going. Go to KL or Singapore on a weeknight and there's no gay nightclubs going! Weekends only...

Although, don't mind mixed discos as long as the gay corner is obvious enough.

Damn...

Hi,

In my own opinion only, shared by others as well on my visits around, the Lao guys win the looks contest hands down over the Thai and Cambodian. Tam, my other half said ' They are even better looking than the South Koreans ' I don't know what he meant by that, but he obviously finds them attractive!

August 24th, 2011, 11:03
Hi Guys,

An update for you.

AV Hotel.

Huge rooms especially the deluxe on third floor. Large clean bathroom with walk in shower.$35 includes breakfast, which is very average. Bed linen and towels fluffy and new.Five minute walk into the centre if you have a good step like me or ten if you want to stroll there. This place is in front of Lao telecom and adjacent to Krung Thai bank. Great sleep quality with no outside noise and quiet aircon. There is building work going on but I am on opposite side and heard nothing. No swimming pool or lift but only two storey building. Excellent value for money with ample cupboard space, LCD Television with all channels and strong wi fi ALL areas including rooms.

Chanthapanya Hotel.

Looked yesterday at and took a full tour of the rooms. Fully refurbished and pristine!! Beautifully appointed now.

Does have lift and nice pool. They seem to have pulled out of Agoda and may struggle to fill rooms as the new price list is as follows and there are a lot competing in this price range with so much offers going in Vientiane. Very central position and good Lao food in restaurant.

Suite 1,500,000 Kip 130 square metres
Suite 1,100,000 kip 90 square metres
Suite 880,000 Kip 66 square metres
Superior 650,000 Kip 44 square metres
Deluxe 540,000 Kip 36 square metres
Standard 400,000 Kip 24 square metres

Soradit discotheque

Went last night and really enjoyed it. Unlike the great full body searches in Cambodia on entry to Discos, this was as is usual in Lao , laid back and friendly. Good music, good sound and lighting and a few lip sync stuff, which although I loathe it, was quite professional , not serious and not too long. The place closes at 1.00 am. There is a 20,000 Kip entry charge but you get a large Lao beer included. Mixed crowded disco with a strong gay element. Loved it and it was busy even on a Tuesday night.

Khop Chai Deu restaurant.

My favourite place really. It can be a beer garden place or full menu at great prices. They also do an Indian meny from 17.00 hours onwards which I found to my joy two nights ago.

GQ and CCC

OK for quiet drink, nothing special really in either but CCC scores on cleanliness.They still haven't cleaned up the toilets in GQ and no lock on door as it is wrecked. Amazing really, when a coat of paint and a new door at one thousand baht would fix it. The problem with both these bars, and they just smiled when I told them, is they get overrun and overpowered at weekend with ladyboys screaming at the top of their lungs, slapstick pretend fighting to draw attention to themselves and walking behind the bar counters and cranking up the volume till it distorts. They also spend little and drive customers out but the owner can't see the wood for the trees. Thry also ruin what little ambiance these bars have.

Gents, immediately opposite GQ bar is an italian restaurant, I was there last night, five star food but the name escapes me. I think it was Gondola restaurant but I will check, well worth a visit.

Bor Pen Yang.

Still good but gets busy sometimes with backpackers sprawling out with their kitbags. Nothing against them, nice people, just occupy a lot of space usually in front of the toilets and you have to get past an obstacle course. Good beer, good food. Closes bang on midnight and they actually DO turn off the lights!

Return ticket on Lao airlines to Siem Reap is 10,000 baht approximately for anyone who wants to visit Angkor Wat. I have just booked. I must be the only guy that went to Siem Reap and never visited Angkor! That will be corrected this time as my friendly immigration Policemen, who got my visa, want to show me around it. I think they want a dinner out of the deal as they keep asking what restaurants I like and when I tell them they look sad and say they have never been.............. :laughing3:

I am out today looking at a riverfront location with a possibility of developing a bar/live music and restaurant venue which I think would do well here if done professionally catering to Lao locals and tourists. I am then looking at properties in Siem Reap this week but the bf is strongly pushing the Lao option.

It has to be said guys and I've been here a couple of months now that I love the cafes restaurant culture of Siem Reap but Lao is a lot gayer in its outlook and approach probably because of the close relations with Thailand. Lao shows you, you don't need go go bars to be a gay friendly and successful destination. I feel with GR and other social networks, times will change very quickly in Thailand too.

yaraboy
August 25th, 2011, 01:28
I think Vientiane is over restauranted, but with many which are marginally operated. If I were to get into the business it would be with a Lao partner and in a location presently occupied which needs upgrading. If you decide on Laos possibly you should rent an apartment for a month or so and look around. Lots of good apartments available for around $400 a month. Good luck and if you are there in Nov maybe we can meet at Joma for a coffee

August 25th, 2011, 07:03
I think Vientiane is over restauranted, but with many which are marginally operated. If I were to get into the business it would be with a Lao partner and in a location presently occupied which needs upgrading. If you decide on Laos possibly you should rent an apartment for a month or so and look around. Lots of good apartments available for around $400 a month. Good luck and if you are there in Nov maybe we can meet at Joma for a coffee

Hi yaraboy,

It is a failed venue that needs upgrading on the riverfront due to the falling out of a Foreigner and his Lao bride. Well, where have we seen that one before on a regular basis???

I will for sure, unless something terrible happens in the UK with Mam, be kicking around here in November.

I probably will also follow what you say regards the apartment idea.

Hope to see you soon.

lexusgs
August 25th, 2011, 19:08

Hi yaraboy,

It is a failed venue that needs upgrading on the riverfront due to the falling out of a Foreigner and his Lao bride. Well, where have we seen that one before on a regular basis???

I will for sure, unless something terrible happens in the UK with Mam, be kicking around here in November.

Hope to see you soon.

Hi Kev,

If you find any good apartment options let me know. I'd like to experience Laos for a month or so..

Cheers

August 25th, 2011, 19:30

Hi yaraboy,

Hope to see you soon.

Hi Kev,

If you find any good apartment options let me know. I'd like to experience Laos for a month or so..

Cheers

Hi lexusgs,

I most certainly will, my pleasure!

lexusgs
August 25th, 2011, 20:39
Cheers mate,

Pattaya for 4 months with an exit every month for visa is doing my tits in :laughing3:

August 28th, 2011, 12:05
Cheers mate,

Pattaya for 4 months with an exit every month for visa is doing my tits in :laughing3:

Hi lexusgs,

try e mailing: laocenterservices@hotmail.com

The company is Saiaward.

They do sales, rentals, visas etc and extensions of stay.

lexusgs
August 29th, 2011, 10:55
Thanks!