PDA

View Full Version : Well, Thaksin's sister is now the #1 in Thailand...

cdnmatt
July 3rd, 2011, 18:09
... go figure, eh?

Narakmak
July 3rd, 2011, 18:10
So how will this impact the pimps?

cdnmatt
July 3rd, 2011, 18:12
So how will this impact the pimps?

More room for corruption. :)

July 3rd, 2011, 18:14
Are we sure it's really his sister?

Have they ever been seen together in the same place or the same time?

Power is a drug - people will do anything for it you know, including drinking weird potions.

[attachment=0:2y4dh4q5]Box.jpg[/attachment:2y4dh4q5]

Dodger
July 3rd, 2011, 19:57
Well, here goes coup #167, or is that #168,...who's counting.

Thai Dyed
July 3rd, 2011, 20:11
All hail Yingluck Shinawatra!

[attachment=0:1780yenc]yingluck-shinawatra.jpg[/attachment:1780yenc]

July 3rd, 2011, 20:28
Bye bye Thailand hello Thaksinland

newalaan
July 3rd, 2011, 20:32
So how will this impact the pimps? For crying out loud give it a rest with your repetitive boring drivel. You spend your whole time here flogging the same expired horse on each of the few threads you infest. A brainless wonder if ever there was one. If it's not fucking mexican food its the pimping bar trade, of which you have never partaken of course. If you have such a problem with justme......PM him to save you interrupting every thread with your insane stalking.

cdnmatt
July 3rd, 2011, 21:04
Imagine if Thaksin actually gets back to Thailand, and into power? Whew... talk about retribution being handed out.

You think he was an asshole when he murdered 2500 people over the drug war without trial? Just wait for this go around...

luvthai-2
July 3rd, 2011, 22:34
I can't see the Generals letting Thaksin back in the country. They may let him return only so they can arrest him. Yes a coup isvery likely.

Narakmak
July 3rd, 2011, 22:46
I think a coup would lead to total chaos and civil war.

stevehadders
July 4th, 2011, 00:14
There are rumours I have read of senior Army officers meeting the newly elected party of government couple weeks ago - to agree the way forward should they win - I guess the key was agreeing to Thaksin staying away

fedssocr
July 4th, 2011, 02:52
winning the election was the easy part. Now she's got to govern. And all of those promises PT made will need to be fulfilled somehow.

Eventually Thaksin will try to come back. Then things will really get interesting. I have a hard time believing he will be allowed to live long if he returns.

maisoui
July 4th, 2011, 03:00
winning the election was the easy part. Now she's got to govern. And all of those promises PT made will need to be fulfilled somehow.

Eh? That's not how they do democracy here in the UK.

What promises did Obama make - we have a Queen to smile and wave.

Anyway, one Old Etonian PM down; one to go. :hello1:

frequentflier
July 4th, 2011, 05:46
am really surprised with all the anti thaksin rants on this forum...the people have voted .that should be enough.the people have the right to vote for whoever they want.
Is there ever any positive stuff here.why all the knocking?

Narakmak
July 4th, 2011, 06:03
am really surprised with all the anti thaksin rants on this forum...the people have voted .that should be enough.the people have the right to vote for whoever they want.
Doubtful you were living here before under Thaksin. You'll see soon enough.

Marsha-old
July 4th, 2011, 06:41
Thaksin may be able to control the country from the outside, but he can never return. He is a fugitive and it will be against the Thai institution and the King will never allow it. He does have some say and the country always listens to the King.

ikarus
July 4th, 2011, 15:05
This is exactly right. You must ask yourself how many fucking idiots around who have absolutely no understanding of Thailand despite the fact that many live over here for decades! Thailand is making progress albeit very slow towards bright future. The key, of course, is the reform of political system which is the major obstacle in transformation of this semi-feudal society. It probably will take a long time and hopefully will be pieceful if the ruling elite will be wise enough to take notice what is happening around the world including the Middle East. Those who are unhappy about hopefully pieceful transformation are fucking, stupid, self-destructing, miserable idiots who may very well be the first victims of social explosion should the pieceful transformation fail...

Thai Dyed
July 4th, 2011, 16:11
We must ask "blueboy" who says he "mixes with the more affluent gay men in Bangkok who are more educated" how they like the results of the election. I am sure we will get an earful.

[attachment=0:11ou7lar]Devilish fun.jpg[/attachment:11ou7lar]

bucknaway
July 5th, 2011, 03:49
When I was in Chiang Mai, I wad told by a police officer that he supported Thaksin because he wanted better for the Thai people by ways of education, opportunity and the ability to create wealth and rely less on tourist and the business of pleasure.

He said a lot more but that was the condensed version of what he had to say.

Marsilius
July 5th, 2011, 11:36
In a very similar vein, a masseur on Dongtan beach told me that he was a Red Shirt supporter because Thaksin's government had offered him a grant to go to university - but that it had been withdrawn subsequently when they had been overthrown in the coup.

ikarus
July 5th, 2011, 14:16
In a very similar vein, a masseur on Dongtan beach told me that he was a Red Shirt supporter because Thaksin's government had offered him a grant to go to university - but that it had been withdrawn subsequently when they had been overthrown in the coup.
The problem is that many foreigners know very little about Thailand and nevertheless feel comfortable to pass their judgement on everything and everyone in this country. The truth is that Abhisit government had their bright moments and in particular free University education was enacted for those who cannot afford to pay for it. Another very important measure that was proposed- land taxation was very progressive in the initial form (and would contribute substantially in implementation of land reform). Unfortunately, this measure proposed by Korn and supported by Abhisit had zero chance to be approved by people like Suthep who is huge landowner in the South.
What many people do not understand is that real rulers of Thailand are not subject to election and until it is changed Thailand will remain more or less the same. By the way, one measure proposed by Peu Thai party-guaranteed rice prices will have immediate effect on the number of available sex workers (towards their decrease).
In my view what is really important for expats and visitors is that inevitable changes in Thai society would remain peaceful and evolutionary in nature.

July 5th, 2011, 17:59
I have not paid much attention to politics here so I may be a bit naieve. Therefore I post these as comments I have overheard and assume others will comment and give me their thoughts.

I was riding in the car the other day and the boys I was with told me that they were going to vote for Thaksin's sister because "she is real good". When pressed on the issue, I asked, what makes her so good? Why do you like her?
"I see her on television. She has lots of money" AND he said almost shouting with joy, "she has a helicopter!" I thought it best not to pursue the subject!

The next comment I heard and I have no reason that I should NOT believe it, is that soon after Thaksin's sister is in office someone, somewhere will open up some sort of request that the cases against her father should be looked at by a higher court and be overturned for various "errors in the judicial system".
Now I dont know if there is a higher court or if that is possible but I assume that this being Thailand .......... everything is possible.

Comments?

cdnmatt
July 5th, 2011, 18:49
The next comment I heard and I have no reason that I should NOT believe it, is that soon after Thaksin's sister is in office someone, somewhere will open up some sort of request that the cases against her father should be looked at by a higher court and be overturned for various "errors in the judicial system".

Already happening -- http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiap ... index.html (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/04/thailand.election/index.html)

Sheeh... she didn't waste any time on that one.

July 5th, 2011, 18:51
They were going to vote for Thaksin's sister because "she is real good". When pressed on the issue, I asked, what makes her so good? Why do you like her?
"I see her on television, she has lots of money" and he said almost shouting with joy, "She has a helicopter!" I thought it best not to pursue the subject!

Many of the poor in Thailand seem to think that anyone who is 'lich' is a good person.

Whoever is in control will have dirty laundry hanging in the closet, corruption is rife and will be about for a very long time to come as it is so ingrained within Thai Society from the very bottom to the very top.

Whatever connections she has only time will tell what kind of government she will run as women Prime Ministers have proved their worth in some parts of the world. The next few months are going to be interesting that's for sure.

July 5th, 2011, 18:57
all I can say to both is .....geeez!
:dontknow:

frequentflier
July 5th, 2011, 23:56
I have lived there during the past 2 years and have seen enough corruption to last me a lifetime....at least the people decided this time...

Smiles
July 6th, 2011, 00:14
I have lived there during the past 2 years and have seen enough corruption to last me a lifetime....at least the people decided this time...
Guess what ... Thai corruption is a slightly older phenomenon than two years.
I don't know the future of this latest electoral farce, but what I am certain of is that the general corruption will continue apace, as ever. And it will consume the now-governing Phuea Thai Party just it it has every other Thai institution for centuries.
Another reason why I love living in Thailand.

Dboy
July 6th, 2011, 06:30

Beachlover
July 8th, 2011, 10:46
At least one of the above links {deleted - jinks} is a direct link to Lese Majeste material. Is this a risk to SGT being banned and blocked in Thailand?

Plus, Khor Tose, you are open about being retired and living in Thailand. Yet, you've publicly voiced your complete support for this material, which constitutes lese majeste.

What does everyone else think of this? Is it wise for those who live in and are reliant on Thailand for their lifestyle to be openly voicing their support for Lese Majeste material online?

{These links at fist carried a warning from me, the poster deleted this warning, therefore the post was deleted. If they are re-posted we will loose another username(s) - jinks}

Beachlover
July 8th, 2011, 10:52
I think a coup would lead to total chaos and civil war.
I think, as with all dramatic actions, it would need to be justified to be successful and sustainable. They couldn't do one now. It would be overwhelmingly condemned internationally and the population would be in full riot mode. They would need to wait until an opportunity opens up to justify it. Might take years. If the Shinawatras are smart, they will ensure their opponents have neither the motive nor the means to knock them off again.

I think it's possible the Shinawatras will move forward more conservatively and tactfully this time. Last time, Thaksin Shinawatra moved too far too quick. He gave his opponents both the motive and the means to knock him off. Strategic mistake, though easier to see in hindsight. This time, the Shinawatras may tactfully reach a happy medium with the Army and all the other stakeholders who have the power to knock them off if desired.

I'm not entirely against or for the Shinawatras. But I'm surprised by farangs who think the sun shines out of their arses. This isn't going to be like the Return of the Jedi...

ikarus
July 9th, 2011, 08:32
There is a complaint from Election comission of Nakom Ratsashima that Yangluck distributed among voters "the noodles she cooked herself"... Despite obviously ridiculuos nature of this complaint, let us not forget that Samak was removed from his Prime Minister position for "participation in cooking show". Several days ago when I was in Chiang Mai I have heard a rumour that she was told by "people who are in charge" that under no circumstances she is going to be PM...
Let us wait and see what is going to happen. I want to clarify that if she is disqualified, that may transform pieceful elections in total and immediate nightmare for Thailand (and expats in particular). Just food for thought for those foreigners who does not like Shiwanatras...

Beachlover
July 9th, 2011, 16:02
Ikarus... very curious to see what's going to happen next. Hopefully nothing dramatic or disruptive.

{These links at fist carried a warning from me, the poster deleted this warning, therefore the post was deleted. If they are re-posted we will loose another username(s) - jinks}
Thanks Jinks... sneaky move by the poster to re-instate the deleted links.

ikarus
July 13th, 2011, 17:22
Ikarus... very curious to see what's going to happen next. Hopefully nothing dramatic or disruptive.

I hope so too. However, you may have noticed that Yangluck was not certified yet by Election Commision. Though ridiculuos
"noodle" charges were dismissed, there are other (nondisclosed)allegations. If she is not certified next week as MP she cannot be Prime Minister ( PM )(since current Constitution requires PM to be a member of Parliament). In my estimate, it is the only way
for "invisible hand" to prevent her to become PM (barring, of course, things like assasination). On the contrary, if she is PM and Constitutional court later disband Pheu Thai Party, it will not influence her position (since she is not the member
of Executive Committee of the party). Let us see wheather she is cerified next week. If not, expect the hell broke...

July 13th, 2011, 17:31
Only the Thai Political system could be as complicated as this...

Beachlover
July 14th, 2011, 01:57
Let us see wheather she is cerified next week. If not, expect the hell broke...
Thanks again for summing it up for those of us who don't have time to follow every little cog in this.

Bugger... well, if the shit's going to hit the fan, I hope they get it over and done with quick. Hopefully no violence or loss of life.

cameroncat
July 14th, 2011, 07:31
I wonder if she is as big a homophobe as her famous brother. Can we expect a return of the monthly raides to gay clubs and saunas we experienced under Thaksin's rule?

pong
July 14th, 2011, 08:28
this is misinformed info, I think. What was quite prevalent in Thaksin's days was a fierce anti-drug campaign (perhaps not for 100% , but quite needed and justified as such)-leading to police having all customers do the pee-test in bars of whatever creed-not specific just gay. never really heard that from sauna's. The main outcry (as gays are so overpolitcal correct to note very possible minor infraction anyway) was from Chiang Mai were some gay march was cancelled by organisers after some hidden threat from the reds-that this a un-Thai thing to do.
Can anyone explain to me why the reds -who always seem so assured from the wide support of the working class ''masses'' (anyone remembers the old-day Mao-terminology?) still have to pay all their supporters and threaten other parties away from campaigning in what they think is their hometurf?
PS" on the last re demo here in BKK there were the new T-shirts with lady Luck on: stating BEAUTIFUL! RICH! NR1!WINNER Perhaps she can start a new program so that this becomes onbligatory for every Thai to become that?

ikarus
July 14th, 2011, 09:56
I wonder if she is as big a homophobe as her famous brother. Can we expect a return of the monthly raides to gay clubs and saunas we experienced under Thaksin's rule?
I have no idea how homophobic Thaksin is but I do remember that at the peak of Social order campaign I needed to coordinate my vacation plans with the schedule of Purachai (interior minister in Thaksin's government in charge of the campaign). When I asked at that time a well -known bar owner in Phuket who is responsible for bar's harassment Purachai or Thaksin
( and I was not symphatetic to Thaksin at the time) he candidly responded: Purachai. As we know Purachai and Thaksin eventually parted their ways and Purachai ended up as a staunch supporter of military junta...

Khor tose
July 14th, 2011, 10:20
I have no idea how homophobic Thaksin is but I do remember that at the peak of Social order campaign I needed to coordinate my vacation plans with the schedule of Purachai (interior minister in Thaksin's government in charge of the campaign). When I asked at that time a well -known bar owner in Phuket who is responsible for bar's harassment Purachai or Thaksin
( and I was not symphatetic to Thaksin at the time) he candidly responded: Purachai. As we know Purachai and Thaksin eventually parted their ways and Purachai ended up as a staunch supporter of military junta...

I have never heard any of this. Do any past or present bar owners know more about this. Just curious.

thonglor55
July 14th, 2011, 13:51
Like all politicians everywhere, Thaksin will use whatever supposedly unpopular personal characteristic of his political opponents he can to encourage people to oppose them, and support him. The Red Shirts last year were quite vocal about the reputed homosexuality of "certain persons". Everyone knew they meant the head of the Privy Council and presumed coup organiser and Yellow Shirt supporter, Prem. The tactic was intended to turn people against Prem and the Democrats. It's another reason why "gay rights" cannot be an election issue in the Western sense, because Prem is associated with the anti-Thaksinites and therefore gay = anti-Red Shirt to some extent. Many bar boys, some of whom are also gay, are Thaksin supporters, so nothing is ever clear cut.

Of course those posters who live on Fantasy Island and believe that the Thais are welcoming of homosexuals, rather than simply not prepared to have a confrontation about homosexual or any other socially deviant behavior, cannot understand or comprehend why Prem might be attacked for that particular reason.

Beachlover
July 14th, 2011, 22:26
I reckon Yingluck should call up Thaksin and say... "you're my bitch now, bro!" :hello1:

July 14th, 2011, 23:10
I reckon Yingluck should call up Thaksin and say... "you're my bitch now, bro!" :hello1:

I'd love to be a fly on Toxsin's wall if she did, it would be a sight to behold LOL

Brisboy82
July 16th, 2011, 12:20
Of course those posters who live on Fantasy Island and believe that the Thais are welcoming of homosexuals, rather than simply not prepared to have a confrontation about homosexual or any other socially deviant behavior, cannot understand or comprehend why Prem might be attacked for that particular reason.

I think this is a pretty good point. It's not that Thais are especially fond of homosexuals. It is more a matter of Thais being non-confrontational and preferring not to raise these kind of issues in general. It has its pros and cons but it works in the sense that Thailand doesn't have the epidemic of homophobic violence that exists in the so called 'gay friendly' western countries.

So maybe Gay people don't have real acceptance or equality in Thailand but at least they don't have to live in fear for their physical safety.

Neither scenario is ideal though.

thonglor55
July 17th, 2011, 10:14
Of course those posters who live on Fantasy Island and believe that the Thais are welcoming of homosexuals, rather than simply not prepared to have a confrontation about homosexual or any other socially deviant behavior, cannot understand or comprehend why Prem might be attacked for that particular reason.I think this is a pretty good point. It's not that Thais are especially fond of homosexuals. It is more a matter of Thais being non-confrontational and preferring not to raise these kind of issues in general. It has its pros and cons but it works in the sense that Thailand doesn't have the epidemic of homophobic violence that exists in the so called 'gay friendly' western countries.The comment on the Gay Cambodia Guide (http://www.cambodia-gay.com/) sets it out pretty clearly - "We can notice homosexuality is not seen as a normal development, but rather an oddity. Because the culture is predominantly Buddhist, there is not the kind of aggressive reaction against gays as we can see in Christian or Muslim cultures."

ikarus
July 19th, 2011, 21:22
Today Election commission unanimously endorsed Yangluck as a member of new parliament. I see no other obstacles for her to become first female Thai PM.

thonglor55
July 24th, 2011, 07:47
Today Election commission unanimously endorsed Yangluck as a member of new parliament. I see no other obstacles for her to become first female Thai PM.I wonder if she'll take grapes.

Beachlover
July 31st, 2011, 20:41
Today Election commission unanimously endorsed Yangluck as a member of new parliament. I see no other obstacles for her to become first female Thai PM.
Haven't been following it closely, but at a glance it seems to be progressing smoothly in the short term.

I guess we'll have to see how it plays out in the medium and long term and hope there's no blow ups...