PDA

View Full Version : Observations from a recent Thailand/Pattaya trip.

newalaan
July 3rd, 2011, 07:58
Just really a few updates on places experienced on a recent visit.

Pattaya. Had a 3 day stay at start of trip as I had to meet up with a friend first. Stayed at Baan Dok Mai, Day/Night soi 3, just to advise that it is still a comfortable place to stay at reasonable cost. Bt850 for large top floor room. Easy stroll to either Boyztown or sunee. If lazy a 10 baht songtaew to Boyztown from end of soi 3. Tukcom, Friendship Supermarket and plenty of restaurants all within easy reach.

Pattaya. Later in trip had a 10 day stay at Mosaik Apartments soi day/night 2. There had been concern that since the owner died last year things may head downhill here. Well I can report that the opposite has taken place. The usual room I book Studio Prestige, was immaculate as usual and had additional kitchen accessories of Microwave and kettle/water heater which the Mosaik rooms never had before. The microwave is a godsend for easy cooking on a short break. Also the reception/office has been refurbished too. Usual efficient security took care of car parked outside, always found somewhere for me to park. Room was 7200 baht for 10 days plus 1000 baht for water and electricity, with large aircon usage, so about 820 baht daily for a very spacious well equipped and furnished apartment with balcony. Still recommended.

Low season, so very quiet both Boyztown and Sunee. However the more popular bars were consistantly busy. La Cage for the first few days was until 'some changes' appeared to take place then it went downhill quick. Corner Bar continues to offer excellent strong drinks, great coffee and an enjoyable ambiance. Forest House, Yayas, All of Us and Come In all had attractive entertaining staff. Popped into Monty's. Had never previously met the man and found his bar very welcoming. One of the few to open on the 2 days of closures due to voting issues on the 25th and 26th June, and alcoholic drinks served in coffee mugs to keep the show on the road. Again, nice welcoming staff here as was Monty himself. Had a constant stream of customers the times I visited early evening. I visited Happy Boys once, it seems to be even more 'naughty' than previously, even on the lower level some of the boys were dancing naked and getting very frisky with customers. Nice Boys was it's usual fun, noisy, busy self.

Met a very nice guy here and went to JJ karaoke with him and two of his friends, one looked very young when he appeared at JJ's but his ID was genuine and he was 20, but certainly looked more like 16, however he could drink his whiskey like a 50 year old. Had a great night at JJ karaoke, a mix of gay boys, very cute waiters, mostly srt8 or gay for pay, and karaoke songs mixed with dancing and general good fun. Highly recommend a visit here. Bottle of Red with all mixers for night and some food less than Bt1500, a bargain for the amount of fun to be had.

Boyztown. Serene, Panorama and Oscars had trade early evening but quiet on the occassions we were there later 11pm-1am. Visited BzBzBz as a favour to a friend and it was quiet outwith showtime. We were 3 of the 10 people there when we visited. Wild West Boys had a surprisingly good show and a decent audience. Busiest Bar was Happy Place, first night we went there were alot more boys available than on our last visit in Feb, unfortunately didn't see Justme to introduce ourselves as we didn't see him the first night we visited and the second by coincidence was some kind of raffle night with the owner very busy, so we didn't bother him as the place was very busy. We had intended returning but the election closures on the Sat and Sun before we were due to leave meant a change of plans.

Late Night entertainment. TNT was closed on the night we went to try it. NAB club was excellent on the nights we went, actually more perfect for me than usual as the place was jumping between 12.30 and 3am after which time many patrons drifted out so no one was bothered with leaving earlier than usual, For me 12.30am to 3am is as long as I like there, it offers the maximum time of fun before extreme drunken-ness sets in. Lots of available gay guys on the nights we visited.The show was good each night, the best part being the katoey comics. Surprisingly Hollywood was excellent too. Packed on the night we went, we struggled to get a decent table. Show and band was good and the DJ played more popular tunes and less hiphop/techno. Seems to have picked up what was left of the Xyte crowd. Only problem here, as always, are the amount of smoking hookahs permitted in the place, although it's sweet smelling...it's still smoke.

One thing about Pattaya was...even though it was very low season there were heaps of available gay guys in the bars, agogos, late night clubs and the late night street vendors, many extremely keen for hook ups, and despite it being 'rainy season' there was very little rain when were were there.

bao-bao
July 3rd, 2011, 09:43
A comprehensive review with more than a fair amount of additional information to flesh it out... Thanks! :cheers:

It was nice to hear a little more detail about Mosaik from someone who's stayed there, too. It's a place I'd walked past and wondered about. I've also heard positive things about the Yensabai condos, but haven't stayed there yet, either.

As for Baan Dok Mai - we're in complete agreement. http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2010/04/accommodations-part-2-baan-dok-mai.html

atri1666
July 3rd, 2011, 12:14
Stayed also in Mosaik Prestige Studio for 2 times already and liked it. Friendly helpfull staff and cheao own laundry. Stayed once in Yensabai Condo and i liked it also with the pool but the internet connection was horrible.

Brad the Impala
July 3rd, 2011, 15:58
Very good report. Where do you rent your car from?

newalaan
July 3rd, 2011, 16:24
Sorry Brad I dont rent unless i'm in phuket, and there it's nine car rent near the airport. A long standing thai friend lends me his pick up for the entire length of my stay in Thailand. I pay the annual insurance at about Bt8000 per annum, which gives extra cover for me.

I drive alot when in Thailand and never really have any problems. Only stopped once by the BIB on my last visit, and had to pay bt100 into his mit, and then only because we hadn't put a Bt50 note in the dash compartment before we set off. Pattaya is a nightmare to drive aound and so only have a few day trips to Rayong or Bang Saen or outside the city when there. This time we went to a couple of Sattahip beaches.

Only bothersome run in with the highways BIB was after a concert in future park, Rangsit and the taxi we were in was stopped at a police checkpoint at 3am. normally they just wave on the taxi if a farang is inside, but they deliberately took us to one side. I was with my bf, who thankfully is not into narcotics of any kind, we were both searched, everything out of pockets on show. I always carry 2 headache tablets with me incase i overdoze on whiskey and will not put up with a sore head if out on the town, i never need them but its a habit, he gave them a good look, and I was concerned about a 'plant' but the officer who was quite young was very polite and talked in english in the 3-4 minutes, he also apologed for the inconvenience in thai to my bf, but i was uncomfortable until we were on our way.

July 3rd, 2011, 16:47
I get good rates from a car rental place on Pattaya Thai Road about 1/2 mile before Sukumvit Road on the left. Have many cars but do not take credit cards. Open 8 til about 6. Nice people, good rates.

Jason1988
July 5th, 2011, 07:11
Stayed also in Mosaik Prestige Studio for 2 times already and liked it. Friendly helpfull staff and cheao own laundry. Stayed once in Yensabai Condo and i liked it also with the pool but the internet connection was horrible.

The Mosaik Apartments is a wonderful place to stay. Very secure and they always went out of their way to make sure everything was ok.

Baan Dok Mai is also another place that I enjoyed. The room I stayed in had a DVD player and a nice sound system so you could enjoy a movie if you so desired. Warwick is a great host and has lots of knowledge for the first time visitor or one that hasn't been in Pattaya for a while.

Both had good internet connection/speed. So no complaints there. You can't go wrong with either place.

colmx
July 6th, 2011, 01:35
Hi Alaan
Thanks for the report!

Nice to see your observations about Wild west boys great show and Hollywood are the same as mine 2 months ago...
Seems that changing the DJ and ditching the non stop hip-hop has really turned around hollywoods fortunes!

Sorry to hear you didn't manage to get into T&T
I am told that they are reopening tomorrow!

Did you visit Dave Man club when you were there?
What about TumNanChon?

newalaan
July 6th, 2011, 04:45
Sorry to hear you didn't manage to get into T&T I am told that they are reopening tomorrow! I'm booked to return end of Sept so maybe I'll finally get to TNT. the night we went the (patio?) bar was open but for whatever reason they decided not to open the dance area. It's a short stroll from Mosaik where we were staying so it was'nt any great put-out.

Did you visit Dave Man club when you were there? What about TumNanChon? As for Hollywood yes we all enjoyed our visit this time, good atmosphere as it was packed and the show and band played good songs, the DJ played more the way DJ station in Bkk works with alot of popular hits from Rihanna, lady gaga etc.. then more dance mixes later but without the crap hiphop inducing headaches for everybody. We enjoyed NAB so much we landed up going there instead of Dave Man, the amount of negative reviews about Dave Man didn't help, from guys we knew to waiters in the beer bars nobody endorsed dave man ahead of NAB. we had planned a visit to TamNanchon on the last weekend before we left but the election put the brakes on that, which was a pity because 'word on the street' was that it is still popular with the gay lads. We had planned for an early evening visit to Happy Place then on to TamNanChon,even on the day before nobody was sure if the bars would be open or not or selling alcohol or not......still.........the night in with friends, DVDs/CDs, whiskey and vodka with ice and mixers made up for it, the nibbles of fiery spicy hot crisps, dried fish snacks,various insects and bags of black seeds designed specifically to chip teeth, although tempting were declined much to the delight of the rest of the gathering.

With regard to DJ Station as mentioned above, we went there both nights we stayed in Bkk, the first night caught the 11.30pm show which was good and again the music was great so we stayed on, and returned the next night when we usually hit rachada 8. It was busy, but not sardine-can busy, which was more enjoyable. Loads of thai guys there both nights and not as many farangs as usual, but quite a few Asians Japanese, Korean etc.. At Bt100 for all drinks DJ Station is still a great night at reasonable costs. Did'nt bother with GOD this time.

martin911
July 8th, 2011, 00:30
Hi Alaan
Thanks for the report!

Nice to see your observations about Wild west boys great show and Hollywood are the same as mine 2 months ago...
Seems that changing the DJ and ditching the non stop hip-hop has really turned around hollywoods fortunes!

Sorry to hear you didn't manage to get into T&T
I am told that they are reopening tomorrow!

Did you visit Dave Man club when you were there?
What about TumNanChon?

G
A lot of confusion over TT reopening still exsists --over last weekend we were told by Apple (pr ladyboy ) that it would def open on wed night !!
Last nite in Nab we were told at 1.30 that yes it would open to be told about 3am that it would not open ----GRRRR--obs negoations are still in limbo
So i guess we will still be going to Jupitor for late (post Nab ) beverages for a while :8(

Newallan --when you were in Dj station lately what were the closing times? , i will be there over this weekend , fri def but not sure about sat(was it sat u were there ?? )--its too packed
Rachatda / or Fake club at Ot Tor Cor are less packed sat nights i find

newalaan
July 8th, 2011, 04:38
A lot of confusion over TT reopening still exsists There was alot of confusion even on the night we went. We were in Corner bar and 'Frodo', the lovely manager there, made a call to a TNT contact about 1am to be told it should be opening, we went about 2.30am and at that time they were still considering/unsure what was happening, they were serving drinks in the patio? bar and there were a few bottles with mixers open there, but after about 15 mins they just couldn't make up their minds so we left.
Newallan --when you were in Dj station lately what were the closing times? , i will be there over this weekend , fri def but not sure about sat(was it sat u were there ?? )--its too packed Rachatda / or Fake club at Ot Tor Cor are less packed sat nights i findWe visited on two weekday-nights and it was busy ok, the dancefloor was packed but not so tightly as weekends, the next floor up was also busy but again not so you couldn't get through the crowd as a weekend. It was due to close at 3am, we left before that so I can't be sure.

If we are in Bkk at the weekend or fri/sat we always miss out DJ and just head to Rachada8 or the like, it gets going earlier that DJ and finishes earlier and although very busy, i find it is not sardine-can packed, also they put on more regular shows fri and sat at Rachada8, and there is always a massive student crowd out for fun fun fun! so we tend to enjoy there more for weekends. DJ during the week was excellent as I said, the 11.30pm show was good and it gradually filled up during the following hour, the music was excellent and very popular. I was surprised at the amount of thai guys there, especially in groups.