PDA

View Full Version : Travel Tales & Titters as written by Welter Watchall.

January 9th, 2006, 13:42
As the bug said when it hit the windscreen, "I don't think I have the guts to do this again!"

Cruising:
You know the passengers on your tour bus are old when... the smell of Bengay begins to waft through your tour bus. (And to think, I used to think Bengay was lube!...and thought they wiggled so much because I was such a hot top--And, in a way, I was!)

You know the passengers on your Cruise are old when...a walk through the people laid out on lounge chairs around the Promenade Deck feels like you're walking through an I.C.U.

Don't throw away those Listerine Orange bottles! Wash them out, refill them with your favorite whiskey and take them on your cruise: to stick it to cruise owners who won't allow passengers to drink their own because they want to stick it to you with over-priced booze in the bars & restaurants. (Bring an empty to fill when ashore on a port stop.)

LOS, Las & Lon:
What's crunchy, boring & does NOT taste like chicken?...An ant-larva omelet in north Thailand.
1 year later...Khao Lak, 20 miles north of Phuket, is still, mostly, a ghost town.
Tomorrows Hot Collectables?..."Same-same"...or just plain, "Same," the explanation you get when you ask for Coke and get Pepsi; has trickled down to everything, even Gatoeys (Boy, same-same lady...Duh!), has become a "non-brand brand label" on many knock-off products sold around the country. Now, if you are worried about being stopped by Customs, "just look for the same-same label."
Oaxaca can't beat Thailand: Teeny fried grasshoppers. The legs stick between your teeth and floss is tastier.
Warning: Time to find a new place to carry your wallet--The dips have finally (Several years ago.) caught on to the right-front-pocket. So take your drawers to a tailor and have pockets sewn in...Who'd ever reach in there? (Without being paid to.)
Las Vegas best shows: "Le Reve," "O" and "Ka."
London...Try: Borough Market near the Southwark Cathedral, South Bank; Hatchards Books Shop on Piccadilly and, last but not least, J. Sheekey near Leicester Square for seafood--And spotted dick. (I think I got that from a bus-boy I once dated.)
Petrus: A sample\tasting menu @ ┬г80 + wine, mineral water & tip. Fish & chips, anyone?
West End hit; Woman in White was blacked-out in New York, and bets are no-go for Billy Elliot (#1 reason, explaining Maggie the Thatch to American audiences who simply don't give a shirt.) but Poppins expected to pop over in Oct. and pop! (Maybe it's Nov.? Oh well, you can hold your breath for another month.) :?

Milwaukee: Midwests Biggest Surprise!... Not just beer & brats anymore. Worth a trip to check out Santiago Calatrava's Quadracci Pavilion at the Art Institute. Go in summer when you can see it in action.
On the other hand: Minnesota. (Madness?) Why would anyone travel there just to go to the Mall of America? Is the Gap & Footlocker any better than the one nearest home?

Warner Bros (& Marion, Indiana) expected 100,000 at a three-day gala marking the 50 anniversary of the death of local hero, James Dean. They only fell short by 94,000. (The chief organizer is being sued for fraud & racketeering.)