PDA

View Full Version : Offensive?

June 28th, 2011, 16:40
I know everyone has their own opinions and I have mine also.
These huge motorcycles that ride up and down streets and deafen the ears a block away, to me are offensive to the Thai culture. I look at the Thai people and can see the distaste on their faces.

The women, sex changes, etc. that display their breasts on the beach. Against Thai culture.

The 80 + year old gay farty men that for some reason think that everyone loves to look at the cracks of their asses as they strut along Jomtien Beach in a womens string bikini.

I guess I could go on and on BUT the thing that pisses me off the most at the moment....
I live on Soi Korphai. I joking refer it kindly as Soi Yabba. I live in Phen Pak Village which is referred to Soi or something like that #1. A man has recently moved in to a rented house (I rent also) and proudly displayed the American Flag outside the house. Well if that isn't a kick in the ass already, as I think it isn't tasteful here in Thailand, he has it hung UPSIDE DOWN! A message of distress, rebellion, as making the statement that America is in trouble or distasteful. OH I don't want to hear that America is in trouble...every freakin country in the world ALMOST is in financial and political trouble! I hear he is an Arab/American. I have written a note that I found it distasteful.

What does anyone else think as it really pisses me off everytime I get into the car and drive down the street?
:dontknow:

Geezer
June 28th, 2011, 17:42
The gentleman is doing nothing illegal. In fact it would be protected by the constitution in the US. Learn to live with it, or pay the mafia to make the flag disappear.

In the US you wouldnтАЩt have that recourse. IsnтАЩt Thailand wonderful?

bigben
June 28th, 2011, 18:24
Ref the flag:

If a fort flew the flag upside down, it alerted anyone outside the fort that the fort was in distress, or under attack.

In reference everything else....One must remember we ain't in Kansas anymore. :iroc:

Oh and reference being pissed off when you see it, I understand what you're saying....but it sure beats being pissed on.....but some here may disagree. :bath:

June 28th, 2011, 18:29
The gentleman is doing nothing illegal. In fact it would be protected by the constitution in the US. Learn to live with it, or pay the mafia to make the flag disappear.

In the US you wouldnтАЩt have that recourse. IsnтАЩt Thailand wonderful?

don't think that US is suck a wonderfully legal place...you have mafia even there and you can tip a local skunk to get rid of it for you :-)...it is just going to cost you more...it's just about the money not the possibility :-)

by the way...live and let live...if he wants to hang the flag what is the problem? it is not like is going to hang it in your living room :-)

June 28th, 2011, 19:21
The gentleman is doing nothing illegal.

He is, almost certainly, doing something illegal in Thailand.
It is against Thai law for anyone to fly the flag of a foreign country unless it is on the Embassy or similar official building.
Ask your lawyer if I am right.

christianpfc
June 28th, 2011, 20:01
These huge motorcycles that ride up and down streets and deafen the ears a block away, to me are offensive to the Thai culture.
Not only in Thailand. They should be banned worldwide!

The women, sex changes, etc. that display their breasts on the beach. Against Thai culture.
The 80 + year old gay farty men that for some reason think that everyone loves to look at the cracks of their asses as they strut along Jomtien Beach in a womens string bikini.
I personally don't care about women showing their breasts or not, the same for Farang in unsuitable swimmsuits. But they should respect the culture of the country they are in.

The flag: it's distasteful and inappropriate, but apart from noticing once I wouldn't care about it.

bao-bao
June 28th, 2011, 20:06
These huge motorcycles that ride up and down streets and deafen the ears a block away, to me are offensive to the Thai culture. I look at the Thai people and can see the distaste on their faces.
Not only to Thai culture - that needless thundering is offensive to the ear anywhere on the planet. Although nobody can really call the open air their own personal space, it's a rude aural invasion that the riders seem to defiantly celebrate. I can't imagine it earns them any respect to be so selfish but they obviously don't care, and it speaks volumes about them. No offense to cycle riders who ride "normal" cycles and obey the rules, by the way.

Maybe they could put a vibrator under the seat and play the sound at maximum volume through ear buds! :cheers:

Beachlover
June 28th, 2011, 20:12
He might not even realise what he's doing, Justme... Have a friendly chat to him first.

bao-bao
June 28th, 2011, 20:23
justme's already sort of done that, assuming that wording of the note was cordial and not inflammatory.

I have written a note that I found it distasteful.
I'm not the Googler some here are so I can't say I know if flying a flag upside down is a distress signal in countries other than here, but it has been widely used here in the US as a sign of disrespect by protesters for decades, and the neighbor may or may not be making a statement.

Beachlover
June 28th, 2011, 20:39
Yeah, but a note isn't two-way communication. You get clearer feedback by having a friendly chat... the guy might not realise it's upside down or he might be doing it deliberately for a reason. I only say this, having recently mediated a long-running spat between two of my neighbours. They're both friends now. I did it without using the word "fuckstick" too. :happy7:

cdnmatt
June 28th, 2011, 20:56
No offense, but that's a really stupid thing to complain about. If you really don't like it, move to China or Iran, where that type of thing (and many more!) are forbidden. If anything, you should be supportive of his right to voice his discontent with the US government. And I think Obama is the best president the US has had in ages, but still would have no problem with someone doing that.

bao-bao
June 28th, 2011, 21:05
I did it without using the word "fuckstick" too. :happy7:
That's progress, Beachlover - keep working on it! :cheers:

Seriously, though - I agree that a walk next door for introductions and a "by the way, you may not be aware of this, but..." opener is the best route... if you're both home at the same time. Sometimes schedules make the polite note a runner-up, though.

I'm not a block party/neighborhood BBQ kind of guy, but I do like to be on a cordial basis with neighbors around me. If you're on a friendly basis it's a help to overall security, too: if my neighbors saw someone other than me toting a flat screen out of my home they'd dial 911 (the standard emergency number).

Geezer
June 28th, 2011, 23:14
The gentleman is doing nothing illegal.

He is, almost certainly, doing somethin illegal in Thailand.
It is against Thai law for anyone to fly the flag of a foreign country unless it is on the Embassy or similar official building.
Ask your lawyer if I am right.

Then thereтАЩs your answer! Forget the mafia. Just tell a policeman thereтАЩs an easy thousand baht fine for him.

At sea an inverted national flag was (is?) a signal of distress. Thais are unable to signal distress by inverting the flag.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/patbkk/thaiflag.jpg

June 29th, 2011, 01:36
I think before getting all high and mighty, we might imagine that the gentleman in question may consider the flock of decrepit, lisping homosexualists mincing around Pattaya in continual search of fresh young boys, to be far more offensive than anything he is doing.

:bis:

krobbie
June 29th, 2011, 02:05
I think before getting all high and mighty, we might imagine that the gentleman in question may consider the flock of decrepit, lisping homosexualists mincing around Pattaya in continual search of fresh young boys, to be far more offensive than anything he is doing.

:bis:

Scottish-guy, what a thing to say! Just as we were all getting into the swing of this, you put the brakes on with that? It kind of knocked it into a cocked hat really.

June 29th, 2011, 02:46
I thought that even though he was half American, that he might not know, although I cant imagine anyone in USA not knowing which side was up. It was a cordial note mentioning that "in case he did not realize it, it was offensive to fly flags upside down". and I even drew the flag as to which side was up.
Sorry, I just aint a person who wants to go down and try to have a freindly chat with someone who obviously recieved the note and still doesnt care. Probably has a gigantic motorbike too and I just dont want to go down and start a discussion with what I think is freindly and get punched. Although that too might be illegal.

Marsha-old
June 29th, 2011, 03:10
Rodger, it is not against Thai law to fly different country flags. In your home and in hotels you will see many flags of different flags. I don't know if it's against the law to hang them upside down. But I know for a fact that you are aloud to hang your own country flag outside your home. Look outside some hotels, they have flags of many countries.

June 29th, 2011, 06:45
Last night I asked a friend who is studying law at Ramkanghaeng University what the rules are. He did not know but said he would ask his tutor. If I hear any more from him I'll tell you.
However he did say that most Thai people would consider it offensive if a foreign flag was flown without a Thai flag being flown at the same time, in the same vicinity and the Thai flag should be higher and not be smaller than the foreign flag.
I think justme should point out this inverted US flag to all his Thai neighbours and ask them if they are offended that the Thai flag is not being flown at the same time.

Marsha-old
June 29th, 2011, 14:19
Rodger, you are right about the Thai flag must up as well. But it does not have to be bigger or higher. I am doing some business with a ThainLawyer at the moment and he confirmed that. But most people who own there own home hang flags out of there house of there own country and do not put a Thai flag up. They are breaking the law, but the police do nothing as there not to bothered about it.

allieb
June 29th, 2011, 18:19
Your neighbor might find it offensive living next to someone in your line of businesss so why dont you mind your own business and get on with your own life.

June 29th, 2011, 18:24
Your neighbor might find it offensive living next to someone in your line of businesss so why dont you mind your own business and get on with your own life.
Wjhy thank you for your nice words of wisdom! Such a pleasant person!
:thebirdman: :thebirdman: :thebirdman: :thebirdman:
Those are my kind words back!

allieb
June 29th, 2011, 19:22
Wjhy thank you for your nice words of wisdom! Such a pleasant person!
:thebirdman: :thebirdman: :thebirdman: :thebirdman:
Those are my kind words back!

And here's my final word

Beachlover
June 29th, 2011, 22:28
Classiest slagfest... ever. :rolling:

June 29th, 2011, 23:17
Obviously not only is is obnoxious and abusive about his comments back rather than making it polite, he aint a virgin either! Looks like he has had most of Pattaya up there!
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Actually reading his previous posts, he is a vulgar snob in almost all of them. Reminds me of a Mexican critic at large!
:sign3: :sign3: :sign3: :sign3:

allieb
June 30th, 2011, 04:16
Obviously not only is is obnoxious and abusive about his comments back rather than making it polite, he aint a virgin either! Looks like he has had most of Pattaya up there!

Actually reading his previous posts, he is a vulgar snob in almost all of them. Reminds me of a Mexican critic at large!
:sign3: :sign3: :sign3: :sign3:

Sober up, get all your whores offed and try again in English

June 30th, 2011, 04:54
A, I dont drink. B, I know that you are predjudice against go gos, bingo and their places so you try and trash them as much as you can, C, I know what I said and it is what I meant.

June 30th, 2011, 06:01
... he aint a virgin either! Looks like he has had most of Pattaya up there!

The voice of the expert

Click here http://www.phuckedtube.com/photos/preview/original/598.aspx

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

bigben
June 30th, 2011, 18:35
Thanks Roger.......I just spilled my G & T all over my keyboard thanks to that photo.

May a hundred bed bugs infest your underwear tonight. :laughing3:

June 30th, 2011, 18:39
I did warn all SGT sausage-jockeys of the dangers of anal proplase some days ago.

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/size-all-that-matters-t20782-30.html?hilit=prolapse#p226961

:occasion9:

Beachlover
June 30th, 2011, 20:51
Justme... Allieb's been a poster for a long time, usually a pretty nice guy and very genuine. He has a dry sense of humour. He might've thought the boy bingo was off the mark but I doubt he has anything against gogo bars.

I did warn all SGT sausage-jockeys of the dangers of anal proplase some days ago.
FFS... Scottish and Roger... ya filthy pair! :pukeleft:

That's the last thing I need to see stumbling home after a big dinner and half a dozen frothies. :pukeright: