PDA

View Full Version : Hey Big Guy, did you know . . .

Smiles
June 24th, 2011, 19:23
:director: . . . that the world's worst food (#2 is pop ... Coke, Pepsi, Cream Soda etc etc) for inexorably increasing your massive gut is the lowly Potato Chip.
Well yes, in fact I rather guessed that, taking into consideration the fat bath it's cooked in and then the grease which leaks out generously onto one's fingers and stains your cargo shorts when you try to wipe it off, on them.

No, PCs are disgusting for sure and here below are the conclusions of a long-term obesity/eating habit study (by the very prestigious New England Journal of Medicine) which concludes that they are in fact The Worst Thing You Can Eat.
The problem with chips is that you can't eat just one . . . and by golly the chip industry used to play that fact up in their ads. But that was the problem: most folks sat (emphasis on 'sat') and scarfed down bag after bag (my brother-in-law does exactly that through an entire NHL game).

Personally, I can't stand the crunchy little A-Bombs. I look one in the wrinkly face and gag . . . so we cover it up with, what else, MORE FAT: a heavy creamy dip.
Thais don't seem to like potato chips all that much. And it shows.
My old man I think has never had one (one that is, not a bag) and I have no intention of introducing him to them. Hell, injecting pizza into his diet was bad enough, one that I should apologise for ... but he's addicted I'm afraid, and I can't say 'no'.

Anyway heavy dudes: stop eating Potato chips right fucking now. Slim down . . . (and here comes the 'About Thailand' part) your Thai guy will think you're svelte and sexy. Finally.

Small lifestyle changes like eating fewer potatoes, drinking less pop and not staying up too late could help prevent long-term weight gain, researchers say.
A series of three studies in Thursday's issue of the New England Journal of Medicine looked at how changes in diet and other lifestyle factors lead to gradual weight gain over the decades of about one pound per year.

Potato chips were the worst culprit, researchers at Harvard University found. "They're very tasty and they have a very good texture. People generally don't take one or two chips. They have a whole bag," said obesity expert Dr. F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer of the St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York.
Both diet and exercise are important to prevent weight gain, but making wise food choices clearly plays a bigger role, said Dr. Frank Hu, a senior of the paper and a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.

The researchers looked at lifestyle factors and weight gain every four years over 12 to 20 years for three separate groups of 50,422 women, 47,898 women and 22,557 men who were all free of obesity or chronic diseases when the study began.

Study participants gained an average of 3.35 pounds during each four-year period, which added up to a weight gain of 16.8 pounds over the 20-year period.
Foods associated with the greatest weight gain over the 20-year study period included:

Potato chips (for each one increased daily serving, +1.69 pounds more weight gain every four years).
Other potatoes (1.28 lb).
Sugar-sweetened beverages (1.00 lb).
Unprocessed red meats (0.95 lb).
Processed meats (0.93 lb).
Several foods were tied to less weight gain when their consumption increased, such as vegetables (loss of 0.22 pounds), fruits (-0.49 pounds), nuts (-0.57 pounds), whole grains (-0.37 pounds) and yogurt (-0.82 pounds).

Changes in physical activity and TV viewing also influenced changes in weight. Watching an hour of TV a day was tied to a 0.31-pound increase.
Also, those who slept six to eight hours a night gained less weight than those who slept less than six hours, or more than eight hours.

The study was funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health and the Searle Scholars Program. Several researchers reported receiving fees from drug and nutrition companies. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/201 ... chips.html (http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/06/23/diet-weight-gain-potato-chips.html)

So what body type do they use as a photo op for a supermarket customer choosing a bag 'o chips?
Why not ... how about an emaciated Ethiopian? Makes sense.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/potato-chips.jpg

AND IT GETS WORSE!!! :protest:
Potatoes don't even have to be in chip form. Apparently just regular plain old boiled potatoes are death rays as well.
Read and be afraid!: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/potatoes-bad-nuts-good-for-staying-slim-harvard-study-finds/2011/06/17/AGRWmIgH_story.html)

June 24th, 2011, 20:57
Smiles, darling, let's make a deal:

You start calling the product by its correct name.....

:director:Crisps!

....and I'll start giving a fuck!

:rolling:

bao-bao
June 24th, 2011, 21:11
Agreed - there are plenty of things from Western culture the Thai (or other people with clearer artieries) never needed to hear about, but so it goes. The number of aisles in Big C and Tesco-Lotus devoted to chips, snacks, candy and the likes is disturbing, and I could have gone my entire life without knowing how to spell "Lays" in Thai.

It's interesting to note, though, that they tend to understand the concept of moderation more often than we in the West do. For most people I know there a snack is a few pieces of whatever it is and not the entire container, bag or box.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/PotatoChipsAisleTesco-LotusThailandW.jpg

June 24th, 2011, 21:38
Hi,

Do they do mexican flavour please??? Love to try a bag of those just to keep some of the members happy.

christianpfc
June 24th, 2011, 21:45
As far as I know: American English "chips" = British English "crisps".

And British English "chips" = American English "(French) fries".

June 24th, 2011, 22:11
As far as I know: American English "chips" = British English "crisps".

And British English "chips" = American English "(French) fries".

American English?

Bastardised English you mean.

:laughing3:

June 24th, 2011, 22:17
Smiles are you having a bad day, or just bored?

cdnmatt
June 26th, 2011, 05:03
Is this your way of telling us you're going on a diet?

June 26th, 2011, 06:21
Tex-Mex" had an exciting ring. It evoked images of cantinas, cowboys and the Wild West.

Potato Chips => Obesity => Erectile Dysfunction => Frustration => Tex-Mex

Studies show overweight and obese men have a much higher rate of erectile dysfunction than their normal weight counterparts. Being overweight or obese can increase your chances of erectile dysfunction by 30-90%. This is not surprising given the better known association between obesity and heart and blood vessel (cardiovascular) disease, and the relationship between male erection and blood supply.

Beachlover
June 26th, 2011, 12:24
Slim down . . . your Thai guy will think you're svelte and sexy.
In your case he'll just think he's doing a lizard instead of an elephant.