PDA

View Full Version : kohs or phuket?

June 23rd, 2011, 14:37
Hi guys,
me again with a new question: I have heard that at the end of August it is better to go to koh tao or koh phangan instead of phuket. The weather and the beaches are better there in that time of the year. Is it correct?

Any particular reason why I should pick koh tao or phangan over koh samui?

Does anybody have any information on the gay scene on the kohs islands?

thanks guys for your answers

kisses

Brisboy82
June 23rd, 2011, 16:11
The main beaches of Koh Samui and Phangan (Chaweng and Haad Rin) although crowded are very beautiful with soft white sand. Samui is more commercial but still quite laid back. Phangan is even more laid back unless you go during Full Moon Party in which case it is crazy.

I believe the gay scene in Samui is fairly limited and in Phangan almost non-existant but I could be wrong.

I have never been to Phuket but I heard it's pretty fun there.

June 23rd, 2011, 18:00
I was in huket once. Dead. Deader than dead. Everytime I have someone I know going to Phuket, the report I get when they get back was that it was deader than dead and boring and that they would not go back.

lexusgs
June 23rd, 2011, 18:08
I was in huket once. Dead. Deader than dead. Everytime I have someone I know going to Phuket, the report I get when they get back was that it was deader than dead and boring and that they would not go back.

I have a place in Phuket. Nice beaches but Justme is right on the money

lonelywombat
June 23rd, 2011, 18:31
I dont agree with the suggestions that Phuket is much worse than Pattaya, certainly at the moment.

Both are run down and only a shade of what they used to be. But fun is where you find it and based on what you are looking for.

First check the weather. The monsoon rolls down and hits Pattaya first, then Koh Sumui an then Phuket

I have been in Phuket in september coming from Pattaya and it is very DAMP. Brown outs where the power fails is something I remember. Phuket is in decline but so is Pattaya.

Koh Samui is very small with virtually no gay scene. If you are going with a partner no hassle, but by yourself wrong wrong wrong time to be going.

June 23rd, 2011, 19:02

I have a place in Phuket. Nice beaches but Justme is right on the money

I have visited Phuket a number of times and of course your degree of enjoyment will depend on what you go there for.

If it is for the "gay scene" (which it is in my case) then frankly you will be struggling after 3 or 4 days.

The paradise complex is basically shut during the day - either avoid it completely or the best you can do is grab breakfast at one of the hotels there and fill your day shopping or doing day trips.

At night it obviously comes alive, but really it is a very small area and you can visit every venue in 1 night, after that it becomes very repetative. Many of the venues are a total rip-off e.g. Mama San gogo bar will try to rip you for 3500 for a bottle of "Blend" :sign5:

Against my better judgement I have revisited a few times but I am now done with Phuket for at least 4 or 5 years anyway.

Summary - Recommended for 3 or 4 day visit only.

As for the "kohs" - can't comment, never been and (as I've already declared my motivation) can't see me going either

June 23rd, 2011, 19:21
thanks guys.

One more thing: the monsoon hit first pattaya then koh samui and then phuket: that I understand. But what does that mean? Where should I go around the end of august (from 25th to 30th) to get the best possible weather: kohs islands or phuket?

Smiles
June 23rd, 2011, 20:08
" ... One more thing: the monsoon hit first pattaya then koh samui and then phuket: that I understand. But what does that mean? Where should I go around the end of august (from 25th to 30th) to get the best possible weather: kohs islands or phuket? ... "
For pete sake: it rains buckets all through August, everywhere in Thailand, especially in the south. Certain areas of the country have statistically, measured over time, lower rainfall than other areas, but in Thailand's high monsoon season those differences mean squat no matter where you are.
You'll get wet in August! Enjoy it.

rincondog
June 23rd, 2011, 22:27
Average rainfall in mm in August for Samui is 121 and in Phuket it is 308. For August Samui is probably a better choice as far as rainfall is concerned. Remember this board is Pattaya centric so take any information from this forum with a bit of skepticism. Most on this board are negative toward any place else. If you were travelling sometime from NOvember to April then Phuket would be a better choice weather wise, while Samui would have more rain during this period. In opposition to most of the posts I enjoy Phuket much more than Pattaya. Phuket has better scenery, better beaches and better boys.

lonelywombat
June 24th, 2011, 07:42
I have heard that at the end of August it is better to go to koh tao or koh phangan instead of phuket. The weather and the beaches are better there in that time of the year. Is it correct?

Any particular reason why I should pick koh tao or phangan over koh samui?

Does anybody have any information on the gay scene on the kohs islands?

Just a few comments on Phuket. In my first visits I found the bars in the Paradise complex exciting but each time since then, numbers of boys is down, shows less interesting and unless you like the late night drinking, disco bars there is not much else to do.

Try this website for Connect Guesthouse which is in the heart of the Paradise complex less that 50 metres walk to main venues.
http://gaypatong.com/

After a few days I tend to drift down to the beachfront at night, which had to be totally rebuilt after he tsumani. Some great restaurants and a number have live music and some nice eye candy. The gay scene is at Patong beach.

I went looking for a map for you and found this site. it might balance the anti phuket bias that ricondog refers to.

http://www.phuket.com/magazine4/destination.htm

If you any more use the search function for more on My Way, Tangmo,, Boat bar, Aquarius, Simon Cabaret

But if you are travelling solo and not looking for company the islands might be an option.

http://www.phuket.com/magazine/patong-nightlife.htm

June 24th, 2011, 13:35
Average rainfall in mm in August for Samui is 121 and in Phuket it is 308. For August Samui is probably a better choice as far as rainfall is concerned. Remember this board is Pattaya centric so take any information from this forum with a bit of skepticism. Most on this board are negative toward any place else. If you were travelling sometime from NOvember to April then Phuket would be a better choice weather wise, while Samui would have more rain during this period. In opposition to most of the posts I enjoy Phuket much more than Pattaya. Phuket has better scenery, better beaches and better boys.

Finally....a straight answer to a direct question...kudos to you ricondog :-) thanks for the info. I was not aware of the pattaya bias...I will keep that in mind when reading the posts.

It just occured to me ....a straight answer....in a gay forum....kind of a oximoron isn't it ;-)

thanks. I think I will go for the koh islands instead of phuket

If you have any more information that could be useful please guys share :-)

kisses everybody.

netrix
June 24th, 2011, 13:51

Finally....a straight answer to a direct question...kudos to you ricondog :-) thanks for the info. I was not aware of the pattaya bias...I will keep that in mind when reading the posts.

It just occured to me ....a straight answer....in a gay forum....kind of a oximoron isn't it ;-)

thanks. I think I will go for the koh islands instead of phuket

If you have any more information that could be useful please guys share :-)

kisses everybody.

dude you're an idiot. you repeatedly beg for details about the
most absurd aspects of visiting thailand. then you get all
panty-wadded when people don't answer the way you want when
you could do the fucking google search yourself, then you ignore
the feedback and state proudly you'll do what you damn well please.

have a lousy trip.

and keep your "kisses" to yourself, ya freakin' virgin. god! how odd and creepy.

June 24th, 2011, 20:36
dude you're an idiot. you repeatedly beg for details about the
most absurd aspects of visiting thailand. then you get all
panty-wadded when people don't answer the way you want when
you could do the fucking google search yourself, then you ignore
the feedback and state proudly you'll do what you damn well please.

have a lousy trip.

and keep your "kisses" to yourself, ya freakin' virgin. god! how odd and creepy.

sweety...get a life! did the doctor proscribed you to answer my questions? I guess no...so just go read something else...and by the way....I did not offend you or anybody else...you may want to try to learn some manners and think twice (which would be a DOUBLE NEW experience for you I must imagine) before calling someone you don't even know and idiot.

....an by the way...my kisses where for the intelligent and nice people in this forum...that definitely cuts you out! For you I have more appropriate invites but I am nice enough to leave them to your imagination (if any)

Brad the Impala
June 25th, 2011, 02:46
before calling someone you don't even know and idiot.

But we all know you only too well don't we? Has Gaybutton clipped your wings again?

June 25th, 2011, 15:39
before calling someone you don't even know and idiot.

But we all know you only too well don't we? Has Gaybutton clipped your wings again?

you know what?...I give up. Actually I may be a 40 yo gay vergin but nonotheless I pity you guys...you spend so much time trying to find the bad in everything that you end up missing the real point..."nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"...

enjoy your day...and again...if you don't like what I write....just don't read it...or better: there is a little option named "make foe"...add me as foe so that you don't have to read anything I write ever again...please do so...it is a win-win situation.

June 25th, 2011, 15:53
... Actually I may be a 40 yo gay vergin ...

That's vergin' on the unbelievable

:rolling:

June 25th, 2011, 16:16

good one ;-)

Brad the Impala
June 25th, 2011, 16:55
Actually I may be a 40 yo gay vergin

But you don't know for certain? Was there one dark and drunken night when you you woke up sore?

netrix
June 25th, 2011, 17:57

hilarious.

Beachlover
June 26th, 2011, 13:29
Phuket and Koh Tao are totally different and shouldn't be compared with the same criteria. Depends what you're there for.

Koh Tao is on my list to visit - looks like a really beautiful and picturesque island for diving/snorkeling and lazing around on the beach. But I think you'd go there with a partner or with a bunch of friends, not alone. It also takes longer to get to.

Phuket, on the other hand can be enjoyed with or without company and there's lots of direct flights there. The main beach, Patong is a party town and your straight friends will have lots of fun with the nightlife (doesn't have to involve commercial sex scene). From my experience over the years, the commercial gay scene can be very quiet during the off peak times (hence people saying it's deader than dead) and then reasonably busy during the Dec-Feb peak season. If you're only after gogo boys, they'll be there no matter what time of the year. The general non-gay bar scene (where you'll probably have fun with your friends) is reasonably busy all year round.

Never been to Samui but I gather it has more nightlife than Koh Tao and less than Phuket.

June 27th, 2011, 15:31
Phuket and Koh Tao are totally different and shouldn't be compared with the same criteria. Depends what you're there for.

Koh Tao is on my list to visit - looks like a really beautiful and picturesque island for diving/snorkeling and lazing around on the beach. But I think you'd go there with a partner or with a bunch of friends, not alone. It also takes longer to get to.

Phuket, on the other hand can be enjoyed with or without company and there's lots of direct flights there. The main beach, Patong is a party town and your straight friends will have lots of fun with the nightlife (doesn't have to involve commercial sex scene). From my experience over the years, the commercial gay scene can be very quiet during the off peak times (hence people saying it's deader than dead) and then reasonably busy during the Dec-Feb peak season. If you're only after gogo boys, they'll be there no matter what time of the year. The general non-gay bar scene (where you'll probably have fun with your friends) is reasonably busy all year round.

Never been to Samui but I gather it has more nightlife than Koh Tao and less than Phuket.

Thanks...I am trying to convince my friends to go to phuket...but they are more oriented toward koh tao...which is not so good for me. Well I will try to make ends meet :-)

thank you for the infos :-)

kisses

Beachlover
June 27th, 2011, 21:57
I would rather visit Koh Tao if I were there with a bunch of mates like you. You can get pissed, party with your mates and check out the gogo bars in Bangkok and then go to Koh Tao for your beachy paradise.

Sure Phuket is nice, but it's VERY built up and crowded. You need to fight through the crowds to get to the beach, travel a fair distance to do any snorkeling/diving and you're probably going to be staying in some crappy dark room with old furnishing and not much natural light. Plus, it's more expensive and costs a bomb to stay right on the beach front.

On Koh Tao, you'll probably get a nice bright room overlooking your own pristine uncrowded beach just metres away. You'll have swimming and snorkeling in stunning tropical waters at your doorstep. And there's nothing to stop you enjoying a few drinks with your mates... albeit in quieter surrounds. Just don't go there alone.

June 28th, 2011, 13:35
I would rather visit Koh Tao if I were there with a bunch of mates like you. You can get pissed, party with your mates and check out the gogo bars in Bangkok and then go to Koh Tao for your beachy paradise.

Sure Phuket is nice, but it's VERY built up and crowded. You need to fight through the crowds to get to the beach, travel a fair distance to do any snorkeling/diving and you're probably going to be staying in some crappy dark room with old furnishing and not much natural light. Plus, it's more expensive and costs a bomb to stay right on the beach front.

On Koh Tao, you'll probably get a nice bright room overlooking your own pristine uncrowded beach just metres away. You'll have swimming and snorkeling in stunning tropical waters at your doorstep. And there's nothing to stop you enjoying a few drinks with your mates... albeit in quieter surrounds. Just don't go there alone.

If you put it this way, koh tao seems like the right choice: unfortunately I have to find someone to go there with...and it is not that easy. What should I do? pick up some random guy I don't know in bkk and invite him to come to koh toa with me?...that sounds exciting but unlikely for me... and dangerous by the way :-)

Well....maybe the gay scene on koh tao is not that great but there should be some gay thai interested...at least I hope so...(with my luck all the guys on koh tao will be straight, or taken...or both :-( )

anyone is going to be in koh tao around the end of August? :-)

thanks for the info again...very useful...thanks BL

kisses

netrix
June 28th, 2011, 13:39
hey beach, how do you feel about vacationing with a 40 yr old farang virgin?

Beachlover
June 28th, 2011, 19:59
How do you feel about being a gogo boy for a month? :rolling:

If you put it this way, koh tao seems like the right choice: unfortunately I have to find someone to go there with...and it is not that easy. What should I do? pick up some random guy I don't know in bkk and invite him to come to koh toa with me?...that sounds exciting but unlikely for me... and dangerous by the way :-)
I didn't realise having company was so important. If it were me in your shoes, I'd just enjoy being with my mates on Koh Tao. If you meet someone you like in Bangkok prior, there's no reason you can't invite them along.

Smiles
June 28th, 2011, 22:32
" ... If it were me in your shoes, I'd just enjoy being with my mates on Koh Tao ... "
I trust they are all steeped in self-awareness?

netrix
June 29th, 2011, 10:08
How do you feel about being a gogo boy for a month? :rolling:

how much?

Beachlover
June 29th, 2011, 22:41
how much?
How about 200 baht per overnight? You get to spend time with just the kind of Pattaya farang you like... Gropey Gropenstein with the beady little eyes, pale red forehead, nervous expression, bony arms and exceedingly creepy aura. :rolling:

June 29th, 2011, 23:51
...Gropey Gropenstein with the beady little eyes, pale red forehead, nervous expression, bony arms and exceedingly creepy aura...

Has "Der Sturmer" resumed publication?

Has Beachy changed his name to Julius?

Reads like it.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
June 30th, 2011, 20:45
It was a mashup between a description of LMTU and Netrix's description on the "Lowest Tip" thread: gay-thailand-f9/lowest-tip-ever-t21211-15.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/lowest-tip-ever-t21211-15.html)