PDA

View Full Version : Tipping in Thailand - What's your policy on tips?

Beachlover
June 22nd, 2011, 22:56
What's your policy on tipping service staff in Thailand? I mean, restaurant waiters, bar tenders (non gogo bars), taxi drivers, porters and such.

In some countries, such as the US, wages for service staff factor in large tips in such a way that gives them a very low base pay, which is heavily supplemented by their tips (i.e. they earn more in tips than in wages). The problem is a lot of Americans FORGET most of rest of the world doesn't work this way (not meaning to pick on them).

As I understand it, in Asia, you DON'T tip for stuff as you would in the US. You might round up for the taxi driver or add a tolken tip to a restaurant bill but you don't add a 10-15 or 20% tip unless there's a special reason or the service has been exceptional and outside of what's expected. You don't tip a bar tender. You usually don't tip restaurant waiters.

The practice in Asia is you tip to get something done better/faster (i.e. you need a favour) OR when someone's gone out of their way to provide exceptional service to you. Otherwise, tips are appreciated, but not necessary.

Some tourists give large tips because everything's already so cheap for them so the amount is negligible. Good for them and this is usually appreciated gratefully. But if you do this, keep in mind that in Asia, "overpaying" or "over tipping", unless done by someone of high stature (e.g. a wealthy business man or celebrity) is usually seen as a sign of weakness and stupidity.

gerefan2
June 22nd, 2011, 23:11
in Asia, you DON'T tip for stuff

You usually don't tip restaurant waiters

So why do some restaurants add a "Service Charge"?

I think you will find that locals dont tip but foreigners are "expected" to as they do so in their own countries.
Bit like the double pricing for foreigners maybe?

Aren't bar waiters supposed to rely on it as part of their income?

Im not saying its right, I would rather keep the money for another beer!

francois
June 22nd, 2011, 23:15
I tip 10% in restaurants, perhaps more if extra service or cute waiter. Nothing cheap about Fran├зois! I know Australians are used to a "thanks heaps, mate" and 0% tip.

June 23rd, 2011, 00:34
I would assume but dont quote me on this because it is only an assumption, that the service staff here in Asia are also paid very little or as little as the establishment can get away with. thus the tips can be extra slush money for the restaurant, or maybe they dont give them all of it and stick some in their pockets or as I said, pay less. This would be only a guess.
:dontknow: :dontknow:

christianpfc
June 23rd, 2011, 01:05
In restaurants - depends what mood I'm in between no tip and 10%.
In bars for drinks the same.
Taxi - round up to the next ten baht.
Porters, cashiers at 7-11, street food vendors: no tip.
Gogo boys - that's material for another tread.

gaymandenmark
June 23rd, 2011, 01:55
I think it is much up to my mood and the situation when I am in Thailand.

When in a restaurant eating alone, I sometimes leaves the coins, sometimes I take the coins, and leave 20 tbh + more or less.
In some restaurants where I know the owners, and the owner brings me the bill, they sometimes give me change back so it is impossible for me to tip.

Sometimes the waiter, also in bars, gives me back so many coins and small notes, so I feel they hope I am confused.

But normally I would leave 10% for a dinner, but in a strange way it depends on....I do not always know.
If I eat in the street or in this very "local" foodplaces I would never tip, it is not expected, even from a farang.

In a bar, and now I do not talk about host or gogo bars, in BKK, I almost tip when I get money back from the bill, depending on how much I have been drinking and on how much i like the service and the waiter.
Sometimes, if the waiter is known to me, I give the tip in his hand, then he dont have to share it with all the others working in the bar. I am sure the rules can be different.

In discos where you pay for the drink when you order, and I know the bartender, I will normally tip 20 bth for the first and second round. It is enough for me to get thunderdrinks even in the 3 or 4 round, at least.

Bellboys who carry my luggage to my room and maids I normally tip 20 bht, if I have the note.

Taxis in BKK, it depends of their skills. From the airport I will not tip if I have a feeling he is trying to make "games" with me.
Opposite I have also been given 30 to 50 bht, because the driver was very helpfull in any way and was driving the best short route.
In the "inner" circles of BKK: If I have the correct amounts in notes or coins, I will pay what is on the meter, if I dont have, well let us say the meter says 47 bht I will give 50, but many times it also happens to me, if I dont have the change, that the driver will say "just give me 45, no problem", even on the meter.

As I said, it all depends, but what I try to do, is to look a what the locals do, and then as a farang, if you feel like it, do it a littlebit bigger.

I did the same in New York, when I was in the bars and restaurants, do like the lokals,( but I did not made it bigger) even if I am not used to tip so much, as in the US, in my homecountry.

ceejay
June 23rd, 2011, 02:09
The one group of people I always tip are the chambermaids in the hotels and guesthouses I stay in. In my experience they are very conscientious in the job they do, they look after you. They are right down there at the bottom of the "regular" pay scale and I get the impression most people give them nothing. 100 or 200 baht is hardly going to break my bank, and it's a lot of money to them.
Also, in hotels, maybe 20 baht a bag to the bus boy. Maybe 50 baht or so now and then to the security guard, if the hotel has one.
In the bars - 20 or 40 baht to the waiter at check bin time. If you actually want the money to go to the waiter who served you, put the money in his hand. Anything you leave in the folder often ends up in some sort of pool system. Mamasans - usually nothing, unless I have actually asked for their help, which I usually don't.
In restaurants - depends on where I am. Up to 10% in Pattaya, Bangkok or Chiang Mai but not more than 100 or so for 2 diners.
In the Isaan, where I will often eat at a roadside cafe or some such place, tips don't seem to be expected and 10 or 20 baht seems to be gratefully received.
Taxis (really only use those in Bangkok) 10% or so (which, unless you are coming from the airport is likely to be 10 baht or less). Excluded was the guy who picked me up from Don Muang to go to Pattaya recently. Booked through the guesthouse, he had to ask me where it was. I kind of thought that was his job, and he got nothing.

gaymandenmark
June 23rd, 2011, 02:26
The one group of people I always tip are the chambermaids in the hotels and guesthouses I stay in. In my experience they are very conscientious in the job they do, they look after you. They are right down there at the bottom of the "regular" pay scale and I get the impression most people give them nothing. 100 or 200 baht is hardly going to break my bank, and it's a lot of money to them.

I totally agree about this, but i dont leave 100-200 baht a day, but 20 or 50 baht on the bed every day. On the day where I leave the hotel or guesthouse it can be more.

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 02:27
Thais generally tip nothing at street places and basic restaurants, the extra change from the bill in slightly better restaurants, and 20 baht TOTAL on any other meal. They don't tip on percentages. This is Thailand. Get a clue. This is not Kansas. Why export your quaint customs, it's arrogant.

netrix
June 23rd, 2011, 02:31
i let the locals i'm with handle it for me, or tell me what to pay.
left to my own devices i'll overtip every time. it's like monopoly money
to me so i tend to forget it's real. i've given 100 baht to the guy in
the bathroom who gives you a shoulder massage at the urinal not
realizing i just gave him 3 dollars US. :blackeye:

gaymandenmark
June 23rd, 2011, 02:55
Thais generally tip nothing at street places and basic restaurants, the extra change from the bill in slightly better restaurants, and 20 baht TOTAL on any other meal. They don't tip on percentages. This is Thailand. Get a clue. This is not Kansas. Why export your quaint customs, it's arrogant.

I dont think anyone who has been writing on this topic are arrogant and have exported their customs. We all know we are not in Kansas or Copenhagen, when we are in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Lampang, Chiang Rai or even in Pattaya. In fact we have, at least me, untill now, trying to be doing the same as you.
But how to behave, including tips, also depends on who you are together with, or in what venue you are in. I suppose and know that it is different to be in Bed Supperclub in Bangkok, than to be in a street stall in Rama IV or in Lampang.

As I said before, I try to look at what the locals are doing, but on the other way, I am not trying to be a Cheap Charlie.
I dont think I am playing with monopoly money, like Netrix, sorry to say it, but that is arrogant.

francois
June 23rd, 2011, 03:03
. This is Thailand. Get a clue. This is not Kansas. Why export your quaint customs, it's arrogant.

You seem to be an expert on arrogance. Are you truly, in person, the same as you post on this forum? Or are you just trying to rile the hornets nest?

krobbie
June 23rd, 2011, 03:09
From very early on I keep a stash of 20 baht notes folded in my wallet for all those small things that are done for you throughout your stay. From the guy who brings your bags up to the doorman and other service people.
As ceejay has pointed out the most important person to me is the person in charge of insuring my room is clean. For them I seek them out on my first morning and politely ask for the things to be done properly and tip 200 baht at that point. Depending on how satisfied I am with the job being done, I usually insure that a tip is paid a couple more times during my stay, as I tend to stay for a 2 week period. Works wonders.

Also for the food court table cleaners etc I leave 10 - 20 baht and round up the taxi fares. I only use meter taxi.

My partner who is not Thai but works in Bangkok and is Thai fluent, always orders extra food when we are eating and has it put into take away containers and takes it back to the one or 2 of hotel workers he has deduced get the crap end of the stick. They are very grateful to receive this added bonus.

gaymandenmark
June 23rd, 2011, 03:17
My partner who is not Thai but works in Bangkok and is Thai fluent, always orders extra food when we are eating and has it put into take away containers and takes it back to the one or 2 of hotel workers he has deduced get the crap end of the stick. They are very grateful to receive this added bonus.

Krobbie, your partner is more thoughtful than my partner(s), they order the extra food to eat in the room :laughing3:

cdnmatt
June 23rd, 2011, 03:35
What's your policy on tipping service staff in Thailand?

I hand Kim the bill. That way it saves us money, and I don't feel like a cheapskate, because hey, I'm not the one paying the bill.

For some stuff when I'm alone, I tip a little, but nothing special. 60 baht haircut = 80 baht, 36 baht meal = 40 baht, etc. At first most of these people weren't comfortable taking a tip, but have since gotten to know me, and now just say thank you with a smile.

I've noticed the small, self-owned shops are much more hesitant to take tips than the larger, Western style shops that have employees on the payroll. For example, take a haircut. Go to a small shop where the owner gives the haircuts for 60 baht, and he's hesitant to take a 20 baht tip, but has since realized I actually want to tip him for his good service. Then goto a larger place where it's 200 baht for a haircut, they'll charge you 260 baht because you have white skin, then get somewhat disgusted when you don't tip them. Fuck 'em. I'll stick with Somchai for 60 baht + 20 baht tip.

There's only a few places where we tip generously at, but that's because we're regulars there, and enjoy having the staff come rushing out to the parking lot excited to see us when we show up. They take care of us, we take care of them, and the world goes round and round.

bucknaway
June 23rd, 2011, 08:23
The most I have tipped a hotel porter is 100 baht but I try to keep it at 50 baht.

Restaurants, I try to tip 20 baht, more if I am flirting.

Local Taxi? 5 to 15 Baht.

Taxi from BKK to Pattaya? Anywhere from 100 to 300 baht. More if I am flirting.

Bartender? 20 to 100 baht. More if I am flirting.

Street Vendor (Sit down). 10 baht tip

Foot Massage 100 - 200 baht tip

Do I always tip? No.

dab69
June 23rd, 2011, 08:27
I ususally will overtip, especially on arrival.'
especially if the waiter, bartender, or motorcycle driver is cute.

don't really believe/care if they think it's stupid.
that would be just a generalization to "know" "what they think" of it.

thonglor55
June 23rd, 2011, 09:23
If I'm in a restaurant I check the bill carefully to see if there's a service charge (it'll be the line that mentions a percentage that isn't 7% VAT, so you don't need to be able to read Thai). If no mention, I tip. Very often it's simply whatever amount of change they bring me as coins, plus the odd few baht and satang in my pocket. Otherwise I don't tip (ie. they've already stung me the "tip" via a service charge). I know there are businesses that don't pass on the service charge to their employees but I don't know who they are so I assume they all do. If you over-tip you're simply confirming the stereotype that all Westerners are (a) crazy and (b) rich beyond the wildest dreams of the Thai-in-the-street. If you do that and also complain the local boys treat you as a walking ATM then not only are you your own worst enemy, you're ours as well.

If you eat in a chain of restaurants, once you've verified the policy for the chain there's no need to check for a service charge each and every time. In the S&P chain for example, there is one.

francois
June 23rd, 2011, 10:56
I ususally will overtip, especially on arrival.'
especially if the waiter, bartender, or motorcycle driver is cute.
don't really believe/care if they think it's stupid.
that would be just a generalization to "know" "what they think" of it.

Dab, they don't think it is stupid, they are very appreciative. My bf is a motorbike driver and he, and all the taxi drivers, are thrilled when a farang gives them more then the asking price.

Marsha-old
June 23rd, 2011, 11:23
Always tip waiter 100baht and if boy sits with me and has a drink and I don't take him off I give 200baht.

June 23rd, 2011, 12:30
Beachlover did you ever have a job that involved being tipped?

June 23rd, 2011, 12:47

That is so funny, how did you manage to come up with that pun all on your own..... :occasion9:

June 23rd, 2011, 18:59

That is so funny, how did you manage to come up with that pun all on your own..... :occasion9:

I didn't realize it was a pun, It was a question and it was not directed at you.

christianpfc
June 23rd, 2011, 22:42
My dirty mind: when I first read this quickly, I read "he has seduced" (that would be a new "lowest tip ever")

and enjoy having the staff come rushing out to the parking lot excited to see us when we show up.
Are you sure they are excited to see you or your wallet?

(Sorry for these catty comments, usually not my style, but I have to adapt to the environment, I'm sure you have read worse things here.)

Jellybean
June 24th, 2011, 01:10
I will round up when paying taxi drivers, 50 or 60 Baht say on a 47 Baht fare, depending on what small change I have. If I happen to be driven by a particularly friendly taxi driver the тАШbit of a characterтАЩ types, say on return journeys from the airport, then I occasionally add an extra 20-40 Baht.

I always tip the porters at my apartment 40 Baht when bringing up my groceries when I go to TescoтАЩs for my weekly shop or when I am coming back from a trip with a suitcase. I tip the apartment driver a more substantial 500 Baht for looking after my car when I am in the UK, because it is not part of his duties. And occasionally I will tip the concierge staff 100-200 Baht if they help me out with things unconnected with their main duties, such as translating for me or helping me out with computer problems.

At restaurants I will normally give the waiter/ waitress the small notes brought back with the change, maybe 50 baht on a 400 Baht bill or generally 10% in most cases. Of course, if there is a service charge, then I will not normally tip, but if the change is very small then IтАЩll just leave it.

When using hotels outside of Bangkok I also, like ceejay, leave the room maids 100 тАУ 200 Baht on my last day as I feel they are perhaps overlooked and they seem to work very hard. And, in most cases, IтАЩve made contact with them by saying тАЬhelloтАЩ each morning so it only seems right to me to leave them a tip.

Paying, what are, after all, small sums of money to most of us, is really no big deal to me, but I believe, it can make a significant difference to those who receive the tips.

June 24th, 2011, 05:04
I tip well for good service, I drank every day at one bar (not a gogo, just a normal bar) whilst I was in BKK last time, tipped a couple of hundred Baht every day and the boys looked after me like royalty.

The last night I gave them a thousand Baht, which is only $30 AUD. If the service was shit, they would have got nothing and I would have went elsewhere.

I use the motorcycle taxis a bit, I don't ask the price, I just get on and when I get off I wave a 100 baht note and say this ok, they usually smile and say yes, I hate fucking around over what equates to less than $1.

I think Thailand is a wonderful place, and if someone looks after me, and I can make their day better by giving them some extra money, which in reality is an insignificant amount to me, but but feed them or pay their rent for a few days, well I am happy to oblige.

I cringe when I hear stories of farangs haggling over the cost of a bottle of water or 20 cents after a motorcycle taxi ride, stop fucking embarrassing yourself and your race.

gaymandenmark
June 24th, 2011, 05:23
stop fucking embarrassing yourself and your race.

I dont want to argue against what you tip or dont tip, but what the hell has this to do anything about your race?

June 24th, 2011, 08:39
stop fucking embarrassing yourself and your race.

I dont want to argue against what you tip or dont tip, but what the hell has this to do anything about your race?

When I see or hear of some farang, usually white (like me) making an asshole out of himself by arguing over meagre amount of money with some poor Thai person who earns less in a month than the farang would make in a day, then it embarrasses me as a white farang tourist, and I feel like punching the asshole in the mouth.

That's what it has to do with me, and my race, I like to see visitors treating hosts with respect.

thonglor55
June 24th, 2011, 09:24
I like to see visitors treating hosts with respect.Don't we all, but throwing money at the locals may or may not qualify as "respect". It also assumes that the large number of non-Thais who live in Thailand have to be taught a lesson on how they should behave towards the (other) locals and that somehow they are visitors, not hosts. Throwing money at Thais often encourages them in the belief they can rip non-Thais off with impunity.

Patexpat
June 24th, 2011, 10:09
and I feel like punching the asshole in the mouth.

That's what it has to do with me, and my race, I like to see visitors treating hosts with respect.

If this is how YOUR 'race' behaves, count me out!

Brisboy82
June 24th, 2011, 10:10
I like to see visitors treating hosts with respect.Don't we all, but throwing money at the locals may or may not qualify as "respect". It also assumes that the large number of non-Thais who live in Thailand have to be taught a lesson on how they should behave towards the (other) locals and that somehow they are visitors, not hosts. Throwing money at Thais often encourages them in the belief they can rip non-Thais off with impunity.
Speaking of tips I was in a Gogo bar where it was suggested by the mamasan that since all the boys had provided entertainment I should tip them each 20 baht. I said I don't have quite enough 20s and the mamasan said 'no problem watch this'. And snatched the 20s off me and threw them all in the air and laughed at all he boys scrambling around the stage to pick up 20s. I thought this was very cruel and demeaning. I thought the mamasan was nice unilateral that happened and then I was very disappointed.

June 24th, 2011, 10:19
and this was where?

June 24th, 2011, 10:52

When I see some big loud mouthed (country suppressed) standing over screaming and swearing and intimidating some poor skinny little Thai cab driver, yes, it does invoke a reaction in me that makes me want to step in and put the loud mouthed asshole in his place.

If a little attitude adjustment is needed to stand up for children, women, my fellow gays or others who are being bullied, intimated or hurt, count me in :boxing:

June 24th, 2011, 10:54

I hear you, in my case and the bar I received exceptional service from half a dozen staff over 4 days, leaving them a couple of hundred baht each day, then thousand Baht tip to share when I left is not a lot of money relative to my income, I don't see it as throwing money at people. Especially considering the gratis after hours service ;)

June 24th, 2011, 11:19
When I can do it and make one of their days, I doIf I cant, I dont.
Why not try and make someone very happy if you can and they made you happy!
:love4: :love4: :love4: :love4:

June 24th, 2011, 11:41
When I can do it and make one of their days, I doIf I cant, I dont.
Why not try and make someone very happy if you can and they made you happy!
:love4: :love4: :love4: :love4:

:hello1: Like

thonglor55
June 24th, 2011, 12:28
... is not a lot of money relative to my income.Your income is utterly irrelevant. If a Thai person goes to your country and wants to leave a tip, then I'm quite sure they should leave a tip that is the standard gratuity for that sort of service in your country, not in their own country, and not relative to their income. Do you tip according to your income in your own country? In the US the expectation for tipping is either a standard amount for the service (eg. $1 a bag in hotels to a porter) or a fixed percentage of the bill (in a restaurant) or some other amount (in a cab). Imagine a Thai telling a New York cabbie that the 20 baht tip is large relative to his (the Thai's) income!!!

June 24th, 2011, 12:57
... is not a lot of money relative to my income.Your income is utterly irrelevant. If a Thai person goes to your country and wants to leave a tip, then I'm quite sure they should leave a tip that is the standard gratuity for that sort of service in your country, not in their own country, and not relative to their income. Do you tip according to your income in your own country? In the US the expectation for tipping is either a standard amount for the service (eg. $1 a bag in hotels to a porter) or a fixed percentage of the bill (in a restaurant) or some other amount (in a cab). Imagine a Thai telling a New York cabbie that the 20 baht tip is large relative to his (the Thai's) income!!!

Gee you come up with some nonscene sometimes; in my country the minimum legal wage is about the equivalent of 17,500 baht a week, and tipping is not customary, execpt for exceptional service, therefore if a Thai who earns a fraction of that did come to Australia and tipped 20 baht it would be appreciated as the gesture it was, as it is releative to income. But if someone with a Rolex and a Armarni suit left a 20 baht tip then they would be seen as a tight arse, and I am sure it is the same in Thailand, if a local leaves a 20 baht tip it would be a nice gesture, if a farang did it then I would imagine it would be not be as appreciated.

From my experience 20 baht or $20, a New York cabby will still be a miserable bastard, so why would you tip any more than necessary anyway?

Income may not be relevant to you, but it is to me, I earn $60 aud an hour, so if I give 6 boys a a couple of thousand Baht (which is takes me whole hour to earn) to share for good service over 4 days, because they made my holiday particularly enjoyable, and I can make their life a touch easier by a nice tip to say thanks; then that's my prerogative, and no business of yours whatsoever Mr Thonglor.

Patexpat
June 24th, 2011, 13:26

When I see some big loud mouthed (country suppressed) standing over screaming and swearing and intimidating some poor skinny little Thai cab driver, yes, it does invoke a reaction in me that makes me want to step in and put the loud mouthed asshole in his place.

If a little attitude adjustment is needed to stand up for children, women, my fellow gays or others who are being bullied, intimated or hurt, count me in :boxing:

Have you actually experienced this intimidated taxi driver? I for one am well aware that in any argument with a Thai, seemingly skinny and little as they may be, you stand more than every chance of being beaten into a pulp by the driver AND indeed being helped by Thais that will be only to happy to help him .... as a tourist you really shouldn't get involved. Believe me Thais are more than capable of taking care of themselves, and then some.

Patexpat
June 24th, 2011, 13:31
[

Income may not be relevant to you, but it is to me, I earn $60 aud an hour, so if I give 6 boys a a couple of thousand Baht (which is takes me whole hour to earn) to share for good service over 4 days, because they made my holiday particularly enjoyable, and I can make their life a touch easier by a nice tip to say thanks; then that's my prerogative, and no business of yours whatsoever Mr Thonglor.

And that is a fair, tourist view point. It's the old difference between knowing the value of something vs its price ... if you are happy to pay over the odds then so be it, but don't expect the boys to hold you in a higher regard because of it .....

thonglor55
June 24th, 2011, 13:53
... in my country ...Your country is as irrelevant as your income but since we're going into the "my income is bigger than yours" realm - and I live in Bangkok - my income is 500,000 baht a month and I think your tipping practices are completely insane.

June 24th, 2011, 14:15
... in my country ...Your country is as irrelevant as your income but since we're going into the "my income is bigger than yours" realm - and I live in Bangkok - my income is 500,000 baht a month [b]and I think your tipping practices are completely insane[/

Culture and tipping is very relevant you fucking moron, and I really really don't like you or your shitty fucking attitude, if u live in Bangkok and earn that much why do you appear, and are thought of by many sawatdeeers as a desperate worthless lowlife ?

Mind your own business and don't talk to me on here, ok ?

netrix
June 24th, 2011, 14:21
that's only $16K a month. don't you know plenty of worthless
lowlifes who make a couple hundred G's a year?

thonglor55
June 24th, 2011, 15:05
Culture and tipping is very relevant What you are doing is imposing your cultural values on Thailand in typical white colonialist style.
.. why do you appear, and are thought of by many sawatdeeers as a desperate worthless lowlife ?I guess you are young and stupid and therefore still assume that wealth and worth are one and the same. Other young posters such as cdnmatt make the same mistake.
Mind your own business and don't talk to me on here, ok ?You'll find that on here and any other online Board that uses the same software, I am free to address whomever I will, and you are free to use the {Ignore} feature - not the other way round.

June 24th, 2011, 15:24
money or not does not make you any less a worthless sack of shit.

I will be in Bangkok on Monday, would you care to come put your money where your fucking mouth is, name a spot in Lumphini Park and I will meet you there

June 24th, 2011, 15:27
money or not does not make you any less a worthless sack of shit.

I will be in Bangkok on Monday, would you care to come put your money where your fucking mouth is, name a spot in Lumphini Park and I will meet you there

Can I hold the handbags while you boys wrestle in the mud?

:occasion9:

P.S. If there's no mud I can bring a shitload of jello.

June 24th, 2011, 15:29
Bring bandages and some good scotch whiskey, lol

thonglor55
June 24th, 2011, 15:35
money or not does not make you any less a worthless sack of shit. I will be in Bangkok on Monday, would you care to come put your money where your fucking mouth is, name a spot in Lumphini Park and I will meet you there :laughing3:

June 24th, 2011, 15:37
It would seem that cyber-bullies are as cowardly as real bullies

thonglor55
June 24th, 2011, 15:53
It would seem that cyber-bullies are as cowardly as real bulliesYou'd have to address that question to Beachlover (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/posting-guidelines-and-discussion-f11/cyber-bullying-t21089.html) but as you're making your challenge knowing nothing of my personal circumstances - height, weight, physical condition, general health, whether I'm confined to a wheelchair etc - just a few of the things that immediately spring to mind, I'd say you were particularly foolhardy. Besides, with my money I'd be much more likely to have organised a group of paid thugs to be on hand for the encounter, that is the Thai way after all. Drive-by shootings is a particularly popular way we resolve disputes here in the Big Mango. Speaking of Beachlover, I'm guessing you and he didn't go to the same school. Beachlover boasts he was top of the class, good at individual sports (not a team player, you understand) and winner of the Mrs Joyful Prize for raffia work. At your school, I imagine, everyone got a prize as each had achieved their "personal best".

June 24th, 2011, 16:31
It would seem that cyber-bullies are as cowardly as real bulliesYou'd have to address that question to Beachlover (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/posting-guidelines-and-discussion-f11/cyber-bullying-t21089.html) but as you're making your challenge knowing nothing of my personal circumstances - height, weight, physical condition, general health, whether I'm confined to a wheelchair etc - just a few of the things that immediately spring to mind, I'd say you were particularly foolhardy. Besides, with my money I'd be much more likely to have organised a group of paid thugs to be on hand for the encounter, that is the Thai way after all. Drive-by shootings is a particularly popular way we resolve disputes here in the Big Mango. Speaking of Beachlover, I'm guessing you and he didn't go to the same school. Beachlover boasts he was top of the class, good at individual sports (not a team player, you understand) and winner of the Mrs Joyful Prize for raffia work. At your school, I imagine, everyone got a prize as each had achieved their "personal best".

Ha ha, I was looking for the ignore button, I am new to this, and I clicked on your gay Romeo link by mistake. I see that you are an American, no wonder you don't like Australians the first time you heard of us was when we took the America's Cup in 1983 from you (they don't teach much is US schools do they, I have read Michael Moore).

I would expect that you would be the type of coward that would not have the guts to turn up as mano-a-mano (that's Spanish, you should know that, after all they are the ones who serve fat cunts like you all the burgers, no wonder you treat Thai's like shit).

You shot you big fat mouth off at me, a few times now, I offered you the chance to do it in person like a man, and you threaten me with a drive by shooting ??? What a fucking legend, and I thought your were from the land of the free and the home of the brave!

GO FUCK YOURSELF THONGLOR, YOU ARE ON MY IGNORE LIST, AND IF EVERYONE ON THIS SITE IGNORES THIS WASTE OF OXYGEN IT WILL BE A BETTER PLACE TO COMMUNICATE.

ps: I am sorry to any decent US citizen on this site for any offence caused, I don't really mean it about Americans but by the time that dickhead reads this disclaimer hopefully his hypertension will have kicked in and someone has called paramedics, oh wait...hmmm who would call that cunt an ambulance, anyway I have been to your country and loved it, exporting Thonglor was your gain and Thailand's loss.

June 24th, 2011, 16:35
....Beachlover boasts he was top of the class, good at individual sports (not a team player, you understand) and winner of the Mrs Joyful Prize for raffia work...

What!
No prize for creative writing?

:rolling:

thonglor55
June 24th, 2011, 16:55
You shot you big fat mouth off at me, a few times now, I offered you the chance to do it in person like a man, and you threaten me with a drive by shooting ??? What a fucking legend, and I thought your were from the land of the free and the home of the brave!I converted to Thai values when I became a permanent resident.

June 24th, 2011, 19:04
... in my country ...Your country is as irrelevant as your income but since we're going into the "my income is bigger than yours" realm - and I live in Bangkok - my income is 500,000 baht a month and I think your tipping practices are completely insane.

How can you live on 500,000 baht a month? Not untill now have I noticed how similar your writing style and thought process is to The Beach!

Author: thonglor55 ┬╗ Fri 24 Jun, 2011 3:05 am

SimonAU wrote:
Culture and tipping is very relevant
What you are doing is imposing your cultural values on Thailand in typical white colonialist style.
SimonAU wrote:
.. why do you appear, and are thought of by many sawatdeeers as a desperate worthless lowlife ?
I guess you are young and stupid and therefore still assume that wealth and worth are one and the same. Other young posters such as cdnmatt make the same mistake.
SimonAU wrote:
Mind your own business and don't talk to me on here, ok ?
You'll find that on here and any other online Board that uses the same software, I am free to address whomever I will, and you are free to use the {Ignore} feature - not the other way round.

June 24th, 2011, 19:10
I'm sorry, I don't see a single mention of the word "fuckstick" - therefore he cannot possibly be Beachlover

June 24th, 2011, 19:42
I'm sorry, I don't see a single mention of the word "fuckstick" - therefore he cannot possibly be Beachlover

You do have a point! Although she's not terribly bright even she would know "fuckstick" would be too obvious.

June 24th, 2011, 21:50
You do have a point! Although she's not terribly bright even she would know "fuckstick" would be too obvious.

Now why, unlike you Man4KnowAll would Beachlover post under another handle?

Beachlover
June 26th, 2011, 16:26
SimonAU... Thonglor55 is a troll. He will SAY and MAKE UP anything to wind you up and piss you off. For example, he's not American (look at his spelling style). The Gayromeo profile is just there to take the piss out of some guy who used to post here.... Just DON'T engage him. He's just a really sad f*ck.

Yes I have but it was only on an on-call basis when they had large fluctuations of guests to deal with. I had another job and full time university at the same time

All customers we dealt with were foreigners (no locals). The pay was normal for unskilled service workers and I didn't expect any tips. Nevertheless, we did get tips because most customers were European or American.

The British and Europeans rarely tipped and only tipped small amounts. But the Americans tipped generously! "God bless you, dear" and they'd shove a $5 or $10 note in my hand. I got huge tips ($20-$30) for moving them to the front of the line (which I actually did out of sympathy because they had kids and were delayed etc.) and other favours.

None of it was expected but it made us happy. The joke was that the Americans were just compensating us for packing twice as much luggage as other nationalities.

Beachlover
June 26th, 2011, 16:34
They don't tip on percentages. This is Thailand. Get a clue. This is not Kansas. Why export your quaint customs, it's arrogant.
I sort of agree with this. At the end of the day, you can tip whatever you want, but tipping the kind of amounts you might be used to giving in the US is not expected or necessary.

DOING this alone doesn't make you arrogant. But if you THINK doing this makes you superior or look down on foreigners who don't do as you do then THAT is being arrogant.

I would assume but dont quote me on this because it is only an assumption, that the service staff here in Asia are also paid very little or as little as the establishment can get away with.
Correct me if I'm wrong but in the States, minimum wage for employees in the service industry (where tips are expected) are significantly lower than in other industries where employees don't receive tips from customers.

This is not the case in Thailand. Minimum wage for a waiter in a restaurant is probably no lower than that of a factory worker who has no opportunity to receive tips. Hence, restaurant waiters do not expect to have a large portion of their income derived from tips.

thonglor55
June 26th, 2011, 19:19
SimonAU... Thonglor55 is a troll. He will SAY and MAKE UP anything to wind you up and piss you off.
I think Beachy is a great fisherman, because every time he throws out a line with a little bait on it you guys bite like hungry fish, and he has you hook, line, and sinker.

Thor69
June 28th, 2011, 22:38
I see that you are an American, no wonder you don't like Australians the first time you heard of us was when we took the America's Cup in 1983 from you (they don't teach much is US schools do they, I have read Michael Moore)..

I'm an American and I like Australians! :hello2: