PDA

View Full Version : A REAL Mexican Restaurant in Pattaya Thailand!

June 21st, 2011, 22:50
Over the years I have had freinds tell me how great a Mexican restaurant called Tequilla Reef was and how someone s=else loved Blue Parrot Mexican.
Well I have tried them both and thought both were a 3 on a scale of 1 - 10 for mexican food. I mean GENUINE Mexican food.
so of course you could see the reaction on my face when yet another freind told me about yet another Mexican Reaturant called Sam's. Blah blah blah and I am paying little to no attention until he tells me that the owner of Sam's is from TEXAS, USA. WELL, Texas borders both Mexico and Colorado, and I am from Colorado and I know what Mexican food tastes like. Now my freind has my undevided attention!!
He tells me how to get to Sam's and he will treat me in 2 days and that was tonight.
Well i ordered some starters for all of us to share (there were 4 of us). We had jalapeno poppers and Nachos Grande. 10 on a scale of 10! Shit I can't go wrong! Then for my main dish I had a chicken enchalada, a beef taco, with refried beans and mexican rice. Again a 10 out of 10!! I am in love.
Anyway, for anyone who loves or wants to try what REAL Mexican food tastes like.......
Sam's Mexican restaurant also has American food. Steaks, hamburgers, buffalo wings, chili....hmmmmmm!
If you are going to Jomtien Beach, keep looking on your left for Mignon Restaurant. make a left there and a short few yards down the road is another left.
On that corner where you make that second left is SAM'S.
A nice casual rastaurant and the food is quick and service was fine. Sam was a very social host. ENJOY!

Marsilius
June 21st, 2011, 23:01
The location fits with a place I visited a couple of years ago. It was so-so then, so I guess things must have improved!

June 22nd, 2011, 00:08
The location fits with a place I visited a couple of years ago. It was so-so then, so I guess things must have improved!
Is it possible that you, coming from the UK which is very far from Mexico, only had what you believe was Mexican food and that real Mexican food is strange tasting to you? After all, your Chinese food and other things are very different to me from USA and even Chinese food from various parts of the USA are very different indeed!
I went to London twice and had breakfast and lunches where the eggs were barely cooked, the toast burnt and the suasage horrible tasting. The only thing I felt that was edible was the beans. Well the place was packed and everyone seemed to be really enjoying the food, a well known establishment whose name escapes me as it was long ago. I have also eaten at English restaurants here and most things are the same. Ham served cold with runny eggs.
All I can say is that coming from right next to Mexico where the Mexicsans escape over the border all day long and out number the citizens of America and have Mexican restaurants everywhere, I think the food was really good.

:happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3:

Narakmak
June 22nd, 2011, 00:49
Sorry to burst your bubble but I know Mexican food very well, from both Mexico and California (Sam is from San Diego and claims he does AMERICAN Mexican style food, not even Cali-Mex really) and I think the food there is HORRIBLE. Bland, no spice, not authentic. Everything is wrong. They don't even have passable salsa. Sorry, Sam is a nice guy, but the OP is an advert. It isn't real. Please don't waste your money. Please stop supporting fake Mexican food in Pattaya. Bangkok and CM have some half decent places. Pattaya doesn't. Maybe someday. Not now and not Sams!

BTW, it's also a very poor value. The last time I was there I had their so called beef burrito. Don't recall the exact price, something like 200 baht, but it was more like an appetizer than a full meal that a California burrito should be.

bao-bao
June 22nd, 2011, 02:20
All I can say is that coming from right next to Mexico where the Mexicsans escape over the border all day long and out number the citizens of America and have Mexican restaurants everywhere, I think the food was really good.

I thought you just said you were from Colorado? That's muy lejos from Mexico, amigo! Anyway - times, recipes and cooks can change, and it may be worth checking out. Thank you for the suggestion.

I wish Narakmak would have mentioned what is (in his opinion) a restaurant closer to his standard for Mexican food in Pattaya, if there is one. Maybe he still will.

Narakmak
June 22nd, 2011, 02:28
No, no Mexican in Pattaya is worth eating at. All a waste of money to anyone who really knows Mexican food. I am sure there is good Mexican food in Colorado though. Any urban area in the US with lots of Mexicans has at least some decent places (where the Mexicans eat mostly).

A place like Sams, this is how they stay in business. People hoping they will get better. I've responded to these kinds of promos myself there ( which I have my suspicions about, hint hint) and nope. crappy as ever. Anyone who knows Mexican will feel totally ripped off.

francois
June 22nd, 2011, 04:22
N Any urban area in the US with lots of Mexicans has at least some decent places (where the Mexicans eat mostly).

Do you mean Taco Bell? When in San Diego area I saw many Mexicanos eating at Taco Bell. I tried it and much better and cheaper then some real Mex restaurants. In Pattaya I prefer Mikes where portions are large and prices reasonable and a nice ambiance.
But by far, best Mex food was in Tombstone, Arizona of all places.

Narakmak
June 22nd, 2011, 04:55
No, I don't mean Taco Bell. That's American fast food. Even they admit that. I guess this isn't really a serious food crowd ... So go ahead and support more crappy Mexican food. I say starve them out until someone opens a decent Mexican place in Pattaya.

June 22nd, 2011, 05:22
Colorado is very close to borders New Mexico and Mexico. There are many many Mexicans in Colorado. I am not t=driving 2 hours to Bangkok for a taste of Mexican food and yes, I have had "what I call" good Mexican food in Bangkok. Sam says he is from BOTH San Diego and Texas and BOTH San Diego and parts of Texas are a hot spit away from Mexico. As a matter of fact much closer than Colorado. I clearly compared my experiece and recomendations that were given to me of Blue Parrot and Tequilla Reef which were a HUGE disappointment to me. I felt that Sams was a ME+UCH better place and enjoyed myself!!
You have your different opinions and that is cool but then again, some American freinds of mine sweared by Blue Parrot and Tequila Reefs. That doesnt make them good. I felt the quality of food that I had and the portions were quite adequate. I dont need to eat humongous portions.
I still liked the place and I will still go back. Sam is also a member of our community. Disagree all you want. UP2ME! :occasion9: :occasion9:

francois
June 22nd, 2011, 05:52
No, I don't mean Taco Bell. That's American fast food. Even they admit that. I guess this isn't really a serious food crowd ... So go ahead and support more crappy Mexican food. I say starve them out until someone opens a decent Mexican place in Pattaya.

Narakmak; what you say of Mexican food restaurants could be said of all non-Thai restaurants. French, German, Italian, etc and thus we would all starve if following your advice. For me many of the Thai restaurants are mediocre. What's a gourmand to do?

June 22nd, 2011, 06:09
PS. You also complained that the postions were too small. Well three of us had his Nachos Grande. Three. There were 8 pieces of Jalapeno peper appetizer and all of us shared a chicken burrito and taco plate. How much food could one eat??!!
Franciois, I also have to say that many THAI restaurants are in my opinion NOT good. Just because we are in Thailand, doesnt make them good. And if you go to Hong Kong, which is close, my Thai b/f thinks the Thai food there is a freaking joke! It is all a matter of opinion. :dontknow:
Yours Namarak is NOT, the only opinion.
Also, look at the map, San Diego is less than 1 hour from Tiajuana Mexico :occasion9:

kittyboy
June 22nd, 2011, 06:36
It isn't real. Please don't waste your money. Please stop supporting fake Mexican food in Pattaya. Bangkok and CM have some half decent places. Pattaya doesn't. Maybe someday. Not now and not Sams!

Fake Mexican food in Pattaya!! The insult to humanity. Does the Mexican embassy issue a certificate of authenticity for real Mexican food? or do you do that in your spare time? If so are you the worlds expert on other food styles? What would you say is your area of food expertise? Any formal training? I want the detail when I show off your certificate of food authenticity.

Hmmmm..and what if I decide to waste my money on food that I find enjoyable? Will you issue me a citation for not meeting your food tasting standards?

I am going on my next trip just to waste my money.

anonone
June 22nd, 2011, 07:23
Part of the problem with trying to prepare ethnic dishes outside of their region is the quality of the ingredients are just not the same.

There are several Thai dishes that I really enjoy when visiting Pattaya. I have tried them at Thai restaurants in my home area and they are just not the same. At home, even though they are being prepared by Thai immigrants (even gave me a chance to try my embarrassingly bad Thai language skills for a bit) in Mom and Pop stores, the chilis do not have the same flavor, the basil is different, and so on.

I am sure the same is true for other ethnic dishes being served up in Thailand. It doesn't mean they are bad, and obviously they are being enjoyed by some.

I tend to think the whole concept of "authenticity" is a bit odd. Dishes constantly morph due to many influences and regional variations abound.

I am much more of the notion "if it tastes good, eat it".

kittyboy
June 22nd, 2011, 07:28
Part of the problem with trying to prepare ethnic dishes outside of their region is the quality of the ingredients are just not the same.

There are several Thai dishes that I really enjoy when visiting Pattaya. I have tried them at Thai restaurants in my home area and they are just not the same. At home, even though they are being prepared by Thai immigrants (even gave me a chance to try my embarrassingly bad Thai language skills for a bit) in Mom and Pop stores, the chilis do not have the same flavor, the basil is different, and so on.

I am sure the same is true for other ethnic dishes being served up in Thailand. It doesn't mean they are bad, and obviously they are being enjoyed by some.

I tend to think the whole concept of "authenticity" is a bit odd. Dishes constantly morph due to many influences and regional variations abound.

Oh come on..stop being so reasonable.

June 22nd, 2011, 09:01
..... the food there is HORRIBLE. Everything is wrong. Not now and not Sam's ... So go ahead and support more crappy Mexican food. I say starve them out ....
The hostility! Was there something else my dear? All 4 thought the food was GOOD, the service EXCELLENT, Sam freindly, the waiter was cute. What more can you ask for?
:occasion9:

RichLB
June 22nd, 2011, 09:23
I'm guessing that those of you saying you want some Mexican food in Pattaya may really saying you want Tex Mex or Cali Mex food. I think Tequila Reef offers pretty good Cali Mex entres (try the Reefer Madness listed on their appetizer section). Sam's is ok, but not my favorite. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mike's (off Thapyra between the overpass and Jomtien). It has it's own version of Tex Mex food and Margaritas that can put you under the table in no time. But, my current favorite for Tex Mex food is Purple Space Monkey on Chapaira. The place doesn't bill itself as a Tex Mex restaurant but offers quite a few such dishes. Try their fajitas.

June 22nd, 2011, 10:06
I too think it is a mistake to equate the food in the US South West with being Mexican. While there is certainly a strong and broad influence, what is usually called TexMex or CaliMex is very different to what you actually get in Mexico. It then depends on what part of Mexico you are talking about as there is huge regional variation. For example, the frijoles refritos you get in Dallas are completely different than what you get in Mexico City which are different again to Merida. While all may be delicious they are not the same. And while San Diego may be less than an hour from Tijuana, Denver is a good 10 hours from Juarez.

June 22nd, 2011, 10:12
It has it's own version of Tex Mex food and Margaritas
Answers everybody. Everyone has their own VERSION. I liked Sam's VERSION.
:sumo: :sumo: :sumo: :sumo:

Captain Swing
June 22nd, 2011, 10:40
Are there any good Thai restaurants in Cancun? Should there be?

June 22nd, 2011, 10:50
Are there any good Thai restaurants in Cancun? Should there be?
Sure there is! Right on Guacamole Blvd right next to that Italian restaurant. :sign5:

Diec
June 22nd, 2011, 10:58
Colorado is very close to borders New Mexico and Mexico

I didn't think Colorado is any where close to Mexico.

June 22nd, 2011, 11:16

I didn't think Colorado is any where close to Mexico.
You need to go look at the map. In a straight line south, it is Colorado then New Mexico, then Texas and then Mexico. Mexicans fleeing from their homeland usually travel right up north and settle down in Colorado, Arizona, California although some go further.

anonone
June 22nd, 2011, 16:24

Oh come on..stop being so reasonable.

:sign5:
My apologies. Don't know what I was thinking. :laughing3:

But damn I miss good Thai food !

June 22nd, 2011, 16:44
I think you are totally correct Annone. Different areas have diffent flavrs and prepare things differently. There is a considerable difference between Pattaya and Issan. So why not a diffence between Thailand and USA? Ingredients are hard to aquire and you just have to go with the best you like and what you feel is good.

Narakmak
June 22nd, 2011, 16:53
BS. There is no excuse, no excuse at all to do poor Mexican food in Thailand.
Bangkok has a number of Mexican places that have real Mexican flavor.
Most of all of the needed ingredients are available in Thailand.
And salsa, don't get me started. Is there even one Mexican place in Pattaya that does proper salsas?
That monkey place. It was also total crap.

June 22nd, 2011, 16:58
BS. There is no excuse, no excuse at all to do poor Mexican food in Thailand.
Most of all of the needed ingredients are available in Thailand.
And salsa, don't get me started. Is there even one Mexican place in Pattaya that does proper salsas?
That monkey place. It was also total crap.
OK Namakrak, every place is shit and they all have the stuff to make good Mexican food and SALSA but choose not to. Calm down before you put yourself in the hospital with this.
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Narakmak
June 22nd, 2011, 17:57
They serve that crap because so many of you are willing to buy their crap.
All I am saying is that other places mostly in Bangkok have proven for years now you can produce much better Mexican in THAILAND than is offered anywhere in Pattaya. So don't make excuses for them serving such crappy food.
I am serious that I'd like to see all the Mexican places in Pattaya go out of business. Then nobody would dare to serve such a low standard Mexican food here and some smart person might realize they can do as well as the better Bangkok places, and then we could finally get at least one half decent place for Mex food in town. As long a these lazy fakers are "good enough" then there is little hope.

gerefan2
June 22nd, 2011, 23:00

You need to go look at the map. In a straight line south, it is Colorado then New Mexico, then Texas and then Mexico

Well I have looked at a map for you all. (Google Earth).
And a direct line from the nearest point of Colorado to Mexico is 361.67 miles. And thats from the Colorado State Border to the Mexican Border only!
However, there are no roads showing there so by road the shortest route from the State of Colorado (not Colorado town) to Mexico is actually 467.35 miles.
Yeh "very close"...

June 22nd, 2011, 23:22
I wouldn't argue facts about Colorado with Justme, if I were you.

:rolling:

gerefan2
June 23rd, 2011, 00:00

Correct, they are FACTS!

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 00:13
This appears to be good Mexican restaurant in Denver. That's in Colorado.

http://www.patzcuaros.com/index.html

June 23rd, 2011, 00:18
Yes 400+ a few miles is VERY CLOSE my dear considering that by plane it takes 7 hours from NY to LA and takes 1 hour from Denver to Houston.
In other terms 6 - 7 days by car from NY to LA and less than 1 day to mid Texas.
No direct route dear? Try Interstate 25 South and then Interstate 35 around Houston or Dallas....I forget...BUT I DROVE IT many times. I did not Google it.
Going through Oklahoma for a few miles, there is no BIG road but there is a continued route. Would you like me to Google you there so we can drive it together? I lived there for 15 years but YOPU KNOW BETTER cause you GOOGLED it.
:sign5: :sign5: :sign5: :sign5:
There are a TON of good Mexican restaurants inb Denver. I was trying to tell you that I know I have had good Mexican food and I felt that outside of BANGKOK, this was damn good. Still looking for a decent Chinese and Italian place and dont say Little Italy!

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 00:40
Expensive but the Marco Polo in the Montien Hotel is a good Chinese restaurant.
Volterra near Sunnee has some pretty good Tuscan food. A lot of people like Gians but I haven't been there. I think it's harder to find good Chinese at a fair price in town than good Italian. And no I don't much like the shark fin place near Royal Garden or the cheap dim sum place in Central (Canton House or something like that). Though I wouldn't call either total crap like Sams, etc.
For German, the best is Bei Gerhard in Naklua.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.as ... icle=16351 (http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=16351)

I know someone will mention Leng Kee on the Klang. Not bad for what it is, good value, but it's not Chinese food, it's THAI Chinese food.

June 23rd, 2011, 00:48
Thanks for all those suggestions, I will check them out except dunno about Gians. This is the first recomedation I have had about them, all the others were just that it was so - so. Some people said Pan Pan was good but had not tried it.
Little Italy was good after the original owner, I am sorry to say, passed away and the freinds took over. I used to LOVE their veal entrees, but alas they took all the veal items off and replaced them all with pork. Service stayed pretty good but I like veal.

PeterUK
June 23rd, 2011, 09:52
Like one or two others, I was surprised to read the OP's glowing report of Sam's. On the one occasion I ate there, I found the food very bland and ordinary and it wasn't freshly prepared. A few hours later, having eaten nothing else in the meantime, I went down with a stomach upset which put me out of action for a couple of days. I certainly won't be going within sombrero-throwing distance of the place again.

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 14:39
Funny you mention that, PeterUK. The last time I ate there (in response to a glowing review on thaivisa that they had improved), I also experienced stomach upset. I live here and rarely get sick that way even from street food. So take that for what its worth to you.

Smiles
June 23rd, 2011, 15:18
Could you give some names (and Bangkok areas if you please) . . . I'd like to try.

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 16:03
Tastes vary, but ALL of these are much better than anything in Pattaya --

Sunrise
La Monita Taqueria
Tacos and Salsa (run by a Mexican)
Los Cabos

In Chiang Mai,
Miguels, also much better than anything in Pattaya.
Haven't tried yet, but hear good things also about El Diablos

[attachment=0:121638m6]el-diablo.jpg[/attachment:121638m6]

No more excuses. Pattaya deserves better!

June 23rd, 2011, 18:35
Funny you mention that, PeterUK. The last time I ate there (in response to a glowing review on thaivisa that they had improved), I also experienced stomach upset. I live here and rarely get sick that way even from street food. So take that for what its worth to you.
You JUST NOW remembered that. Interesting! :sign5:

The last time I was there I had their so called beef burrito.
So you have eaten there more than ONCE.

It isn't real. Please don't waste your money. Not now and not Sams!
More than once, just now remembered you gots a tummy ache, waste of money.....

Tastes vary, ......,
Havent tried it yet but you are willing to say that it is much better.
well I liked the place and I WILL GO BACK! Thanks for the warning though! :sign5:

June 23rd, 2011, 18:52

Correct, they are FACTS!

I think you'll find he knows far more about Colorado that YOU do.

It may be a fact that two places are X miles apart, but that does not in itself make it a fact that they are close to or distant from each other.

Your dispute with him turns on a personal judgement of what is and what isn't close - Americans and Australians generally will refer to somewhere being relatively close, whereas a narrow-minded little Englander (for example) would consider it being the other side of the moon.

I'm sorry if your intellect does not stretch to a realisation of that.

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 19:15
Keep in mind, Chiang Mai people aren't idiots and thanks to Miguels Mexican places as bad as Pattaya simply can't survive. That's why I want all Pattaya Mexican places to go under because that opens the space for a new place to set a decent standard here.

I have been to Sams three times. All times, really low standard food. Mexicans would be disgusted and wouldn't eat there unless they were starving and it was free, and because I know Mexican food, so was I.

The truth about the stomach upset is true. Take it or leave it. I say don't go there because the food is terrible and doesn't even resemble good Mexican food, not because of the stomach problems.

kittyboy
June 23rd, 2011, 19:27
Tastes vary, but ALL of these are much better than anything in Pattaya --

Sunrise
La Monita Taqueria
Tacos and Salsa (run by a Mexican)
Los Cabos

In Chiang Mai,

[attachment=0:15fxzxql]el-diablo.jpg[/attachment:15fxzxql]

No more excuses. Pattaya deserves better!

Ah, do you understand that your opinion is only your opinion?
If I like a mexican restaurant in pattaya and enjoy the food better than the mexican food alternatives that you have pointed out...then the alternatives are NOT BETTER.
You may have a preference and believe them to be better but that is just your opinion.
Do you understand that?

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 19:29
No, this goes beyond opinion. It is simply not possible for anyone who knows Mexican food to think Sams has better Mexican food that any of the places I mentioned. I am not saying all of the others are great or would rate in California. etc., but there is no doubt Sams is objectively bad. It is true some people may like Sams, but they simply have horrible taste and know nothing about what Mexican food can be.

kittyboy
June 23rd, 2011, 19:41
No, this goes beyond opinion. It is simply not possible for anyone who knows Mexican food to think Sams has better Mexican food that any of the places I mentioned. I am not saying all of the others are great or would rate in California. etc., but there is no doubt Sams is objectively bad. It is true some people may like Sams, but they simply have horrible taste and know nothing about what Mexican food can be.

No your comments are just your opinions.
What if I do not know mexian food or if I dislike your preferred/recommended style of mexican food and find Sam's enjoyable in that case Sam's would be a better choice for me.
Your opinion is that the food is bad. Mine opinion might be that it is good.
These are our respective opinions. Just that opinions...Not absolute facts.
You do understand that your comments are subjective? You get that right?
What objective standard are you using? What is the comparison? Your taste preference is a subjective measure not an objective measure.

See Scottish Guys comments above.

You might be suffering from the dunning kruger effect. (ooo..I have been wanting to use that for a bit). Don't worry it is not fatal.

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 20:47
Oh, please, that was total BS. I don't doubt there are many people who prefer a 10 baht hot dog to a 2,000 baht world class Argentina steak, but it is not opinion that the hot dog is better food. Objectively, the Argie steak is better. Same difference. I can be objective about this because I do happen to be an expert on Mexican and many other food types. Not all, of course. I can't really judge sushi so well, so in that case I would be at the yahoo level, saying I "like" this or that, based on nothing really objective. Only total morons wouldn't get my point here.

Another example. I don't doubt there are many people (probably the OP) who would prefer a bland bottled Pace salsa to the best homemade salsas in Mexico City and proclaim the Pace to be better. Objectively, they would be totally wrong by any standard of reason. They would be right about their horrible taste in Mexican food though.

kittyboy
June 23rd, 2011, 21:01
Oh, please, that was total BS. I don't doubt there are many people who prefer a 10 baht hot dog to a 2,000 baht world class Argentina steak, but it is not opinion that the hot dog is better food. Objectively, the Argie steak is better. Same difference. I can be objective about this because I do happen to be an expert on Mexican and many other food types. Not all, of course. I can't really judge sushi so well, so in that case I would be at the yahoo level, saying I "like" this or that, based on nothing really objective. Only total morons wouldn't get my point here.

Another example. I don't doubt there are many people (probably the OP) who would prefer a bland bottled Pace salsa to the best homemade salsas in Mexico City and proclaim the Pace to be better. Objectively, they would be totally wrong by any standard of reason. They would be right about their horrible taste in Mexican food though.

I do get your point which is that you have opinions about food. Great.
But you have not stated any objective measures that you use to make your comparisons between object one and object two. You have stated your opinions. Great. I am glad you have them but they are subjective measures of your thoughts and tastes. They are not objective measures of good and better.
I mean you do understand the difference between and objective and a subjective measure? I am assuming you do understand that they are different.

If I was a thai worker making a few thousand baht a month I suspect I would prefer the 10 baht hotdog as I could not afford the Argentine steak. Just a guess.
If I liked bland food and found mexican flavors too strong and preferred the taste of Pace salsa then I would be wrong according to you to have those tastes and preferences. I would be wrong by any standard of reason?

God it must be wonderful to see the need in other to conform to your standards.

June 23rd, 2011, 21:03
John Colapinto: Lunch with M. -- Undercover with a Michelin inspector

A degree in hospitality, hotel management, or cooking is mandatory for Michelin inspectors. Every job that Maxime held, from high school on, had been in the domestic food, wine, or restaurant industry. She got a masterтАЩs from N.Y.U. in food studies, and obtained a sommelierтАЩs certification. Six years ago, she was working in a food-and-hospitality job in a city far from New York when she learned that Michelin was recruiting inspectors to produce a New York City guide. тАЬI immediately started stalking Jean-Luc,тАЭ she said. She had several preliminary interviews in New York, during which she was warned about the rigors of life as an inspectorтАФthe travel, the regimen of constant eating, the pressure to fill out meticulously detailed reports on time, the enforced anonymity, the low pay. (тАЬLetтАЩs just say itтАЩs not about the money,тАЭ she said.)

Maxime eats out more than two hundred days of the year, lunch and dinner. She eats the maximum number of courses offeredтАФat Jean Georges [New York, 3 Michelin stars], we were having three courses, plus dessert; that way, she said, тАЬyou really get to see the most foodтАЭтАФand she is required to eat everything on her plate. It is a regimen that calls to mind the force-feeding of the ducks that supply Vongerichten with his velvety foie gras, but Maxime, blessed with a quick metabolism, had managed to avoid obesity, an occupational hazard.

If she were on an inspection visit, she said, she would go home directly after finishing dessert and paying her bill, and begin filling out her report, which is made in the form of entries in a classification form supplied to all Michelin inspectors. She would list every ingredient in everything she ate, and the specifics of every preparation. She would rate these according to several criteria, including quality of the products, mastery in the cooking, technical accuracy, balance of flavors, and creativity of the chef.

For a restaurant like Jean Georges, filling out the reports would take two to three hours. A Chinese restaurant might take an hour. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/11/23/091123fa_fact_colapinto?currentPage=all

Facts = educated opinion = opinion?

Marsilius
June 23rd, 2011, 21:13
You must bear in mind that we are talking here about Pattaya, where the universally accepted arbiter of culinary standards, the Pattaya Mail's Miss Terry Diner, wouldn't recognise an objective verdict on a cucumber unless you shoved it up her no doubt suitably capacious ass.

Any Michelin judgements in Pattaya are more likely to concern the tyres on your car.

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 21:16
I give up. Keep on spending your money on the dreck Mexican food in Pattaya. There is good food to be had in Pattaya. but no good Mexican food. I know some people are satisfied with something that gives a hint of Mexican food but I love Mexican food too much to soil my palate with the local stuff. I'd rather have nothing because in my view the local stuff is already nothing.

kittyboy
June 23rd, 2011, 21:20
I give up. Keep on spending your money on the dreck Mexican food in Pattaya. There is good food to be had in Pattaya. but no good Mexican food. I know some people are satisfied with something that gives a hint of Mexican food but I love Mexican food too much to soil my palate with the local stuff. I'd rather have nothing because in my view the local stuff is already nothing.

I am glad you recognize those are your opinions.

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 21:23
I never said that. Objectively the fabulous homemade salsas in Mexico City are better than bottled Pace salsa. Not an opinion. A fact. It's is also a fact that many ignorant people would like the Pace stuff better. But that doesn't make it better, it just shows they have bad taste. You're not going to convince me otherwise. There are objective realities in food quality that are a totally different thing than people's taste and opinions.

BTW, I have spoken to Sam about his food. He is a nice guy I admit but he serves very poor Mexican food. Apparently there is a market for it. Good for Sam. Bad for lovers of decent Mexican food.

Sams isn't the worst in town. That's probably a tie between Tequila Reef and Blue Parrot.

kittyboy
June 23rd, 2011, 21:24
Any Michelin judgements in Pattaya are more likely to concern the tyres on your car.

Nice..very droll.
One of my pet peeves is self appointed arbiters of tastes and standards.
Oh..you don't want to do that.
Oh..you don't want to buy that.
Oh..you don't want to go that way.

I had a terrible childhood and have authority issues..sob sob.
Don't tell me what to do.

kittyboy
June 23rd, 2011, 21:33
I never said that. Objectively the fabulous homemade salsas in Mexico City are better than bottled Pace salsa. Not an opinion. A fact. It's is also a fact that many ignorant people would like the Pace stuff better. But that doesn't make it better, it just shows they have bad taste. You're not going to convince me otherwise. There are objective realities in food quality that are a totally different thing than people's taste and opinions.....because in my view the local stuff is already nothing.
No you are wrong.
It is a fact that salsa made in mexico city is probably fresher.
It is a fact that salsa made in mexico city is probably spicier.
It is a fact that in mexico city they probably use fresh cilantro.
It is a fact that cooking and canning tends to make foods bland and so an industrial food product compared to a fresh made product has a fresher taste.

It is those facts that lead you to conclude that the salsa is better.
There is a difference between just saying this is my opinion and I am correct because my opinion is always right and laying out some objective measure on which to lay your opinion.

So if someone else has a different opinion or likes the taste of industrial salsa they are ignorant because they do not conform to your expectations of how they should feel about food.

I am glad you have opinions but they are just that opinions. And if you want to share them with the board..great. But as a poster I also have the right to point out that you are just telling me what you think. Your opinion carries very little weight in terms of my decision making.

June 23rd, 2011, 22:03
MY GOODNESS! All I wanted to originally say was that I went to Sam's and I liked it! I live near Mexico and there are a ton of Mexican Restaurants there and while I do believe that IN FUCKING COLORADO and TEXAS and MEXICO they are better, well we are in PATTAYA THAILAND. I have found it to be the BEST I have had the pleasure of eating at in PATTAYA THAILAND and while I wish I were in Colorado eating fresher, larger, and tastier portions of Mexican food, alas, I am here.
I am neither ignorant nor stupid and while YOU may choose to do without because you say it takes like shit, obviously it must have been at least ok if you returned THREE times. Thanks for your OPINION but as y health isnt so great and I dont know if I can wait so long for your gourmet Mexican Restaurant to open, I will settle for Sam's. Thank you!
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Narakmak
June 23rd, 2011, 22:42
Here is why I returned three times.

1. To try out the new place. It was crap.
2. Some poster on thaivisa said it was great and it had gotten better. Returned. It was still crap.
3. Another poster on thaivisa said it was great and it had gotten better. Returned. It was still crap.

Three strikes, you're out.

June 23rd, 2011, 23:53
OK out for you.
May I point out that Thailand is very large. There is Northern Thai food and other "variations". The boys from the north, while they will eat the south and others, they dont prefer it to the spicy hot of the north and the south cant really stomach the spicy hot of the north. In and I dont know how to spell it Sakonikon likes to eat dogs and cats, but other areas dont. New York has a New York Style cheesecake. I prefer it but there ARE many variations.
Mexico is HUGE, much larger than New York, Thailand and even Sakonikon. Thats all we are really trying to tell you. Even if you are a Mexican from Mexico, there are variations and there are many variations that many people enjoy. Let it rest now.
My last post on this thread.
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Narakmak
June 24th, 2011, 00:00
No. It is not possible that a Mexican person would ever think Sams food is good Mexican food or good Mexican American food for that matter. Please note I have nothing against Mexican American food if it is good. For example I think good San Francisco Mission District burritos are fantastic and one of the great foods of the world. Many Mexicans enjoy those as well and they have no problem that that style of Mexican food is not even sold in Mexico. Sams is not good. That is a fact. My confidence level on that is 100 percent. Anyone who thinks it is good Mexican American food simply doesn't have the experience to know better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito

kittyboy
June 24th, 2011, 06:03
No. It is not possible that a Mexican person would ever think Sams food is good Mexican food or good Mexican American food for that matter. Please note I have nothing against Mexican American food if it is good. For example I think good San Francisco Mission District burritos are fantastic and one of the great foods of the world. Many Mexicans enjoy those as well and they have no problem that that style of Mexican food is not even sold in Mexico. Sams is not good. That is a fact. My confidence level on that is 100 percent. Anyone who thinks it is good Mexican American food simply doesn't have the experience to know better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito

You keep forgetting that those are your opinions not absolute fact.
Are you are aware that the two are not the same?
Stating an opinion does not make it factual.
Is that something you understand?

June 24th, 2011, 06:53
He doesnt understand Kitty. He is an expert on all variations of Mexican food.
Let him go to Chain Mei and to Bangkok.

kittyboy
June 24th, 2011, 07:12
He doesnt understand Kitty. He is an expert on all variations of Mexican food.
Let him go to Chain Mei and to Bangkok.

Ah...don't spoil it for me. I was hoping I could get him to again proclaim his expertise on all mexican food in all variations and again state with absolute certainty that anyone who does not agree with his standards is ignorant.
Wait...I have a vision...froth...froth....foaming and frothing at the mouth...it is becoming clearer..Sorry I lost it.

June 24th, 2011, 07:14
and here is my OPINION on Mexican food based on more than a dozen trips to various parts of Mexico on business.

There is no such thing as good Mexican food in Mexico. It is usually grossly over-spiced to mask the taste of rotting meat or vegetables.

I have some experience of Mexican food outside of Mexico and it is edible in so far as other countries have much stricter hygiene standards. Thus I would be willing to try Sam's Place if every other restaurant in Pattaya was mysteriously closed at a time I wanted to dine.

.................................................. ....................

For Narakmak to describe a restaurant's fare as "Shit" shows that he does, indeed, have considerable experience of Mexican food ... before, during and especially after eating it.

June 24th, 2011, 07:44
Hi,

Congratulations guys, other than a few arguments over geography you have managed five pages of staying on topic!!

I think Mexican food and drink, by and large is fairly lousy cuisine, WHEREVER YOU EAT IT!

Regards Justme, the breakfasts in England don't as a rule serve cold ham with traditional English breakfasts, We usually serve hot bacon or grilled thick ham, and UK sausage are to die for, unlike those boiled burger sausage America dishes up. what do you call them, weenies or something bloody silly!!............. We have an absolute amazing array of sausage in the UK, and no puns please!!

Eggs, can be ordered and cooked how you want them in any reasonable breakfast venue! and we don't just fry them, we poach, boil,scramble,risotto,benedict, etc etc.

So, hands off criticising our full English breakfast, we don't have much of a cuisine but our greasy spoon breakfasts, and great English Teas are top of the tree!! ................ :laughing3:

And you guys stop arguing about Mexico borders because they extending a lot further up into what you now call USA till you lot pinched their land..... :laughing3:

June 24th, 2011, 08:12
Well now the Quill has spoken! :sign5: He has settled many arguements in one post, the boarders of Mexico, Mexican food and Eb=nlish (uggh) breakfast! :sign5: I love him!
And thats that! Hey Kevvy, you coming to our party?
:love4: :love4: :love4: :love4:

June 24th, 2011, 09:07
Well now the Quill has spoken! :sign5: He has settled many arguements in one post, the boarders of Mexico, Mexican food and Eb=nlish (uggh) breakfast! :sign5: I love him!
And thats that! Hey Kevvy, you coming to our party?
:love4: :love4: :love4: :love4:

Love too, but I think I am in the Laos with the cowboys then!..............hehehe!

Narakmak
June 24th, 2011, 12:54
A BRIT thinks all Mexican food is low quality and too spicy in Mexico. Now, that takes the cake for total ignorance. Not opinion, just sheer idiocy.

Patexpat
June 24th, 2011, 13:36
A BRIT thinks all Mexican food is low quality and too spicy in Mexico. Now, that takes the cake for total ignorance. Not opinion, just sheer idiocy.

Oh what joy and idiocy to you too .... Kevin carefully says 'I think' , so it is his OPINION of Mexican food, he is not stating it as fact. Get a grasp on your English!

Narakmak
June 24th, 2011, 15:10
It is clearly the opinion of an idiot.

Patexpat
June 24th, 2011, 15:44

and that is your opinion, no more or less valid than anyone else.

Narakmak
June 24th, 2011, 15:49
Clearly a very ANAL crowd here. Not so surprising.

danny99
June 24th, 2011, 15:55
Anyway, for anyone who loves or wants to try what REAL Mexican food tastes like.......
Sam's Mexican restaurant also has American food. Steaks, hamburgers, buffalo wings, chili....hmmmmmm!
If you are going to Jomtien Beach, keep looking on your left for Mignon Restaurant. make a left there and a short few yards down the road is another left.
On that corner where you make that second left is SAM'S.
A nice casual rastaurant and the food is quick and service was fine. Sam was a very social host. ENJOY!

Sounds good if you like Tex-Mex, which is OK for the occasional very casual snack but that is NOT real Mexican food. Sadly it is what the rest of the world now thinks is Mexican food. But then Americans continue to try to change the world, as they honestly believe that they own it! Just look what they have done to the English language, but leave ethnic cuisines alone, most have been around for thousands of years and all are better in their original form.

June 24th, 2011, 16:07
But then Americans continue to try to change the world, as they honestly believe that they own it! Just look what they have done to the English
You are a fucking jerk! You say Americans when you should be saying many within the American Government.
Dont lump us all together...it just shows what a narrow minded idiot you are!
:occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9:

Narakmak
June 24th, 2011, 16:09
It's not even really Tex Mex. But it is some kind of Mexican American food and it is very BAD Mexican American food. Indeed, Mexican American food can be fantastic, you just won't any good version in Pattaya. I totally disagree that only "authentic" Mexican food is acceptable. That's total BS than anyone who tastes a burrito in the Mission District in San Francisco will know in a second. Authentic Mexican burritos are totally boring in comparison (and generally only found in Northern Mexico) and it was only in the USA that the burrito became a culinary wonder.

June 24th, 2011, 17:18

Seems no more anal than you prick, and who you calling a fucking idiot, cowardly twat who hides behind a keyboard to be rude...............prick!

and an avator saying God is banned and calling yourself ''' very cute '' in Thai with an incorrect phoenetic translation................knob!.. :laughing3:

:boxing: anytime!

Narakmak
June 24th, 2011, 17:50
I stand by this, anyone who asserts Mexican food is basically lousy is a total idiot. Period, end of story.
BTW, yes I have met you when you had that Cage bar. Reinforces my opinion of what you are.

Patexpat
June 24th, 2011, 17:54

I think we should have a drink ... when you free? And where would you like?

Smiles
June 24th, 2011, 18:33
" ... Seems no more anal than you prick, and who you calling a fucking idiot, cowardly twat ... "
Wish you would stop being so damn timid Kevin ... don't hold back for christ sake :rolling:

Amazing Sawatdee: a thread about Mexican food morphs to include anti-American tirades and whether 'opinions' can in fact, be idiocy ... or idiosyncracy.
Hitler had the 'opinion' that the Jews were to blame for just-about-everything, and look were that got us.
Lesson from World War ll: 'Opinions' are highly over-rated.

But carry on . . .

June 24th, 2011, 21:31
I stand by this, anyone who asserts Mexican food is basically lousy is a total idiot. Period, end of story.
BTW, yes I have met you when you had that Cage bar. Reinforces my opinion of what you are.

Prick of the first order !........a person gives their own opinion and you launch into a tirade of abuse because you are bravely sat at behind a computer, what is your problem........little man syndrome??

or just a rude twat??? and do you think by your bravado on here I would have any opinion at all about you, with the exception of the aforementioned. I can't believe the rudeness for absolutely no reason.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 01:19
I know what you're like in person. 'Nuff saId.

June 25th, 2011, 02:16
I know what you're like in person. 'Nuff saId.

Yup,

As expected a load of innuendo and baseless suggestive twaddle to back up your completely out of order posting.

Spineless arsehole you are.

reminder of what I said, noting the word ' think ' not asserted:

quote:/ I think Mexican food and drink, by and large is fairly lousy cuisine, WHEREVER YOU EAT IT

reminder of what you said:

A BRIT thinks all Mexican food is low quality and too spicy in Mexico. Now, that takes the cake for total ignorance. Not opinion, just sheer idiocy

and then

I didn't mention too spicy, I eat both Lao and Indian food and I never mentioned low quality, and why the emphasis on my nationality, totally uncalled for and provacative abuse......you wanker!

You have shown your colours and what you are, I don't feel it necessary for me to continue posting on this particulat thread because you ' get off ' by deliberately trying, and succeeding on this occasion, in annoying me intensely.

I don't usually bite but you're one piece of work.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 02:52
What you did say, can't find it, did you edit it out, was that the meat in Mexico is ROTTEN and that's why it's spicy, to cover up the rotten meat.

June 25th, 2011, 04:46
What you did say, can't find it, did you edit it out, was that the meat in Mexico is ROTTEN and that's why it's spicy, to cover up the rotten meat.

Really,

I said absolutely nothing of the sort!!

I suggest you look at other posters contributions, twas not me!

June 25th, 2011, 04:48
and here is my OPINION on Mexican food based on more than a dozen trips to various parts of Mexico on business.

There is no such thing as good Mexican food in Mexico. It is usually grossly over-spiced to mask the taste of rotting meat or vegetables.

I have some experience of Mexican food outside of Mexico and it is edible in so far as other countries have much stricter hygiene standards. Thus I would be willing to try Sam's Place if every other restaurant in Pattaya was mysteriously closed at a time I wanted to dine.

.................................................. ....................

For Narakmak to describe a restaurant's fare as "Shit" shows that he does, indeed, have considerable experience of Mexican food ... before, during and especially after eating it.

Right,

Found the quote! ................................I can't see my name anywhere??? :dontknow: :dontknow:

June 25th, 2011, 04:57
You know Narakmak, you have been so anal on this entire thread. You have consistantly been over assertive about Sams, about Mexican food here in Pattaya to the point that it clearly shows a vendetta. You have even gone so far as to recomend Mexican restaurants that you HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO. Are you Mexican? Do you have a degree in culinary arts?

And then to go and accuse people of saying things that they clearly did not say....... you owe KQUILL a sincere apology!
It was ROGER who made that statement and NOT Kquill! You are so adament about putting people down about this that you do not even look at who you are to blame, what you are saying....nothing. Just kill anyone that has a different opinion.

LOOK AT THE QUOTE AND READ WHO IT IS FROM! :

It is usually grossly over-spiced to mask the taste of rotting meat or vegetables.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 06:07
Sorry I attributed that quote to the wrong person.
All this hysterical reaction to my passion about Mexican food is not going to change the reality of the Mexican food situation in Pattaya one iota. It sucked yesterday, it sucks today, and it will suck tomorrow if people continue to give money for totally crap Mexican food. Yes I mean everywhere in Pattaya, not only Sams, and yes I've tried them all.

BTW, what kind of wanker would think this?

quote:/ I think Mexican food and drink, by and large is fairly lousy cuisine, WHEREVER YOU EAT IT

kittyboy
June 25th, 2011, 07:06
All this hysterical reaction to my passion about Mexican food is not going to change the reality of the Mexican food situation in Pattaya one iota. It sucked yesterday, it sucks today, and it will suck tomorrow if people continue to give money for totally crap Mexican food. Yes I mean everywhere in Pattaya, not only Sams, and yes I've tried them all.

You have a hysterical passion - yes that is probably the correct description.
Other people disagreed with your stated tastes in food and you started insulting them.
I will ask again. Do you understand the difference between your subjective opinion and objective fact? There is a difference and insulting people because the do not share your hysterical passion about mex food is the behavior of a serious gaping hole assshole.
And yes I am aware that you said hysterical reaction to your passion and I have said hysterical passion...that seems the case.

June 25th, 2011, 07:16

Tee Hee http://www.council-of-elrond.com/forums/images/smilies/other/girl_haha.gif

and Sorry to Kevin for letting you take the temper tantrum from Narakmak ... but it did show him up in his true colours :sign5:

I would like to point out that I am, in fact, a food expert. I have been eating food for over 50 years and I know what I like and I'm an expert on what I like.
kquill is also an expert on what he likes at the table.
justme is obviously an expert at what food he likes and one look at him will confirm that he has had his snout in the trough for most of his life; scoffing what he likes.

All of us have differing opinions on foods that we like and loathe. Restaurants know this and take it into account when they ask things like 'How would you like your steak cooked?'
It is therefore utterly stupid of someone to nail their colours to the mast an insist that food that one person likes is "crap" and that their taste is better than yours.

I maintain that I dislike Mexican food and my considerable experience of it tells me that. If Miss Blood Pressure (Narakmak) likes the stuff - good for him ... enjoy!
He can purchase Immodium at all GOOD pharmacies.

kittyboy
June 25th, 2011, 07:18

You have referred to mission district burritos on san francisco. I lived in SF in glenn park. Yea. mission district burritos can be nice after a night of drinking, but some of them are shit made by un-hygenic restaurants that have to shut down when they fail the health inspection...oh yea great food. Other than the odd burrito consumed when intoxicated Mex food is crap food. A big steaming pile of brown going in and a big steaming pile of brown going out.

I used to run across foodies in san fran. They would gas on endlessly about their favorite foods or the little restaurant the found with the perfect blend of...blah blah blah...fuck you could not shut them up..as if food were the most important thing in life and anyone who was not totally committed to chasing the food EXPERIENCE was a total idiot.

A person who talks endlessly about only the subject they are interested in talking about and thinks that anyone who either is uninterested in their pet topic or who disagrees with them is a total fucking selfish prick.

Does this description fit?

June 25th, 2011, 08:14
Narakmak: WhatтАЩs your favourite colour?
Someone Else: Green
Narakmak: Nooooo!!! Green is a crappy colour. Blue is the best colour.
Someone Else: Well I like Green
Narakmak: Stupid!!! Retard!!! Even Red is better than Green
Someone Else: I like some shades of Blue and Red can be OK but Green is best for me
Narakmak: You must be some sort of Commie Pervert. Blue is Best, Blue is Best.
Someone Else: Green тАж Bye Bye
Narakmak: Why donтАЩt I have any friends?
:dontknow:

Patexpat
June 25th, 2011, 10:38
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 12:09
Glad to have provided you some free entertainment in your clearly empty, good Mexican food free, lives. However, to repeat again, we STILL don't have even one decent Mexican restaurant in Pattaya, and that ... IS A FACT.

kittyboy
June 25th, 2011, 14:52
Glad to have provided you some free entertainment in your clearly empty, good Mexican food free, lives. However, to repeat again, we STILL don't have even one decent Mexican restaurant in Pattaya, and that ... IS A FACT.

Let me again inform you that you are laboring under the self delusion that your opinion is a fact.
No it is not. It is your opinion. And valid for you but not valid for people who disagree with you.

Are you one of those foodie types I used to run into in San Fran?
If so I have to say you and your types are fucking bores to talk to.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 14:59
No, it's an objective fact. Stop trying to convince me otherwise.

kittyboy
June 25th, 2011, 15:06
No, it's an objective fact. Stop trying to convince me otherwise.
No not an objective fact. Your subjective opinion.
Stop being so obtuse and come to the realization that your opinion is an opinion.
No an objective fact.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 15:09
Nope. There are objective facts you can use to rate Mexican restaurants. Such as the quality of their salsas. Whether they made homemade tortillas. Whether the flavor provides a Mexican flavor profile. The spicing of the meats. Any person with even basic knowledge of Mexican food would easily know there is not one decent Mexican restaurant in Pattaya. Again, that's a fact. Sorry your solipsistic world view can't handle that.

kittyboy
June 25th, 2011, 15:17
Nope. There are objective facts you can use to rate Mexican restaurants. Such as the quality of their salsas. Whether they made homemade tortillas. Whether the flavor provides a Mexican flavor profile. The spicing of the meats. Any person with even basic knowledge of Mexican food would easily know there is not one decent Mexican restaurant in Pattaya. Again, that's a fact. Sorry your solipsistic world view can't handle that.

No wrong again. Your opinions are your opinions. You have not mapped out, listed, the objective measures you used to arrive at your opinion regarding the restaurant in question. You are stating an opinion with no backing from what I can tell.

Have you been to every single mexican restaurant in pattaya? If you think you have then is it possible you have missed even one hole in the wall mexican joint? If so then you can not make the claim about there being no good mexican restaurants in pattaya because you have not sampled them.

You are wrong. Sorry you can not handle having it pointed out that your opinion is just an opinion.
Do you still believe that anyone who disagrees with you is ignorant and an idiot?

June 25th, 2011, 15:18
1. I asked what makes him the ONLY expert in Mexican foor=d and if he were Mexican? No answer.
2. Now he is so anal that a thread called STROGONOFF and talks about a real nice sounding restaurant, he is so stupid to go over to that thread and make a stupid joke asking if they sold "Mission District Burriitos".
What a jerk!

Roger/Cedric, while my size is my testimonial to what foods I enjoy, your comments are a testimonial that you are ignorant baffoon. You are only annoyed because I know you are Cedric, who was so hysterical and foul mouthed that you already have been thrown off this board at least once.
Cedric/Roger first names of makes as well as when Cedric was thrown off, Roger applied for membership the same day.
Both writings similar, same insults etc.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 15:28
I may be a jerk but that doesn't change the fact that there is no decent Mexican food in Pattaya.

kittyboy
June 25th, 2011, 15:36
I may be a jerk but that doesn't change the fact that there is no decent Mexican food in Pattaya.
You may be a jerk but that does not change your opinion that there is no decent mexican food in pattaya.

Have you tried them all? Is it even possible that one small place exists that you don't know about and have not eaten there?
Of course that is the case. So that answer on so many different levels is that you are wrong.

You have your opinion about your tastes and you are wrong that other people should act and feel according to your wishes.
You have not sampled the entire universe of mexican restaurants in pattaya. So you HAVE to be wrong.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 15:54
We're all gay here. What's your problem exactly with ... assholes?

kittyboy
June 25th, 2011, 16:09
We're all gay here. What's your problem exactly with ... assholes?

I assume since you did not respond to my statement above that you understand why you are wrong about your opinion.
Read my signature - They are like opinions. Everyone has one and they all stink (the statement is of course adjusted to accommodate those with colostomy bags).

I have a problem with people who push their opinions on others and insist that others can not have valid views.
I am fine if you want to tell me, "I have very specific tastes about food. Especially mexican food and my experience is that none of the restaurants I have been to here in Pattaya meet MY expectations."

I would say "Sorry to hear it, it sounds like you are a guy who enjoys food. I hope you find you mex mecca on your food hadj's around pattaya". However, you started insulting people because they have different tastes. In my opinion that shows a lack of respect for other people.

In my opinion that makes you a fucking gaping asshole. Join the club life is full of them.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 16:20
This is silly.
I am an expert on Mexican food. I know what good Mexican food is and I know when it doesn't measure up.
Supposing there was a contest of young violists being judged for who would win entry into an elite school.
Who would you trust to judge them? Just any Joe Blow on the street who could only say "I don't understand anything about music but I know what I like" or professional musicians/music teachers?
Do you seriously think the opinions of these casual listeners has anything to do with an OBJECTIVE evaluation of the potential TALENT of those young musicians?
If yes, you're an idiot with a mind so open it's like a volcano crater.

June 25th, 2011, 16:21
At least I ain't a pimp.
Oh that is really intilligent! First we start insulting people because their views are different and now look, you are really getting lower than lowest of lows.
:sign5: :sign5: :sign5: :sign5: :sign5:

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 16:24
At least I ain't a pimp.
Oh that is really intilligent! First we start insulting people because their views are different and now look, you are really getting lower than lowest of lows.
Why is that. What do you call a flesh peddler?

June 25th, 2011, 16:28
.... What do you call a flesh peddler?

A purveyor of horizontal refreshment.

Patexpat
June 25th, 2011, 16:35
This is silly.
I am an expert on Mexican food.r.

this is so funny! So, what exactly are your qualifications to be an 'expert' ...

June 25th, 2011, 16:36
This is silly.
I am an expert on Mexican food.r.

this is so funny! So, what exactly are your qualifications to be an 'expert' ...

He made love to a chihuahua?

kittyboy
June 25th, 2011, 16:45
This is silly.
I am an expert on Mexican food. I know what good Mexican food is and I know when it doesn't measure up.
Supposing there was a contest of young violists being judged for who would win entry into an elite school.
Who would you trust to judge them? Just any Joe Blow on the street who could only say "I don't understand anything about music but I know what I like" or professional musicians/music teachers?
Do you seriously think the opinions of these casual listeners has anything to do with an OBJECTIVE evaluation of the potential TALENT of those young musicians?
If yes, you're an idiot with a mind so open it's like a volcano crater.

Yes you are being silly.
World class, prize winning palate eh?
Did you win the first place grand champion judges award at the frijoles cooking and judging contest at your culinary school?
Let me see your reference is who would I trust to judge young violinists? Would those be the grade school violinists at your nieces concert recitals.
Ah..just about fucking anyone...it is just a fucking grade school concert recital...just as it is just a fucking mexican restaurant....Not very important in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry - gaping...just gaping.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 18:09
Mexican food is important to me. I never said its important to everyone. Anyone who thinks Sams is decent Mexican food shares your indifference. I'll ignore your lame comment about my music example; it was clear to non-abusive readers.

June 25th, 2011, 18:52
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Hey I have an idea! If you are such an expert on Mexican food, and Pattaya has none, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and open Pattayas finest Mexican food joint up? Now if you don't have enough money, why dont you get someone to open one up and make you the master chef as you know all about it and can make one hell of a place?

Oh and by the way, I am an expert on MEAT. Dont knock my profession! and I HAVE put my money where my mouth is and aint doing so bad! See I was a purveyor and purchaser for 49 - 50 years before I showed people HOW to do it.

June 25th, 2011, 19:23
I am posting this here and under Mexican as I am being attacked uhder both.
1. Now you dont like this place either....I am starting to see a pattern here.
2. you have respect for prostitutes but not the person who owns a bar, serves customers drinks and allows the boys to work from it in a nice clean honest enviornment.....real smart.

I have repeatedly asked for your QUALIFICATIONS which makes you an EXPERT on Mexican food, and you repeatedly dodge giving answers, thus I expect that your expertise lies in the same way as mine does.
I have been picking up and lying down with prostitutes and young guys since I was .... well going to bed with boys since I was 10 and picking up males prostitutes since I was 17. I am an EXPERT in the field of gratification and while I dont have a degree.......
I am an expert.

I have been frequenting Pattaya bars for the last 10 years and while I am NO EXPERT at having one of these bars, I do enjoy what I like and I feel that having an establishment that is hassle free, nice and courteous and having many young men that work there..... well....I am not an expert but I am well schooled.
Are you only well schooled in the field of Mexican and now Stroganoff foods or do you hold some culinary degree??

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 19:23
I didn't say I was a restauranteur. It would be cheaper to fly back to the USA occasionally to get my Mexican fix. No, the Bangkok places don't fully do it for me either, but at least some are approaching passable.

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 19:26
Published food critic in two major US food cities before I retired.

As far as Stroganoff, I am talking about recent experiences. I used to like it. I like a lot of restaurants in Pattaya, but in general it is no surprise that Pattaya is no San Franscisco, food-wis.e

Patexpat
June 25th, 2011, 20:13
Published food critic in two major US food cities before I retired.

And that makes you an EXPERT? A food critic? Well I guess if you can't do, then critique! Jeese! What a larf!

My work is published regularly, but I never call myself an expert .. although other people do and I cringe and gently correct them!

June 25th, 2011, 20:33
"Published food critic in two major US food cities before I retired."

I think the basic problem here is that ultimately no one gives a flying fuck about Mexican food or your unrelenting criticing of same perhaps and you seem unable to grasp that fact ???

June 25th, 2011, 20:48

I think Mexican food and drink, by and large is fairly lousy cuisine, WHEREVER YOU EAT IT

AS I SAID YOU REALLY ARE A PIECE OR WORK, YOU CAN'T EVEN ADMIT YOUR MISTAKE WITHOUT A SILLY ADDITION AT THE END. .........KNOBHEAD IS THE BEST DESCRIPTION I CAN THINK OF! I'VE USED ALL THE OTHERS!

Narakmak
June 25th, 2011, 20:50
Then what are you? In any case, you clearly have rage issues. Not surprised given your background.

In any case, yes I know I'm going to have to live with the FACT of the lack of even one decent Mexican restaurant in Pattaya. Those are the breaks.

If you want to mock my claims that I'm an expert on Mexican food, makes no difference to me. I know I am and I know anyone with basic understanding/respect of Mexican food (including Mexican American food) could not stomach the food at Sams or any other place in Pattaya. I am sure it will fill your stomach though. Enjoy!

One funny thing about this is that with this discussion I am sure I have driven lots of victims customers to Sams to protest my voicing of the facts. Hilarious!

Smiles
June 25th, 2011, 23:15
And here I was thinking that being 'solipsistic' only applied to Hedda (though he's still the touchstone of solipsism ... if not now alone).

Given this thread, could one now say ~ for instance ~ and without being too pretentious: "... that excellent Mexican meal had all the right nuances of solipsistic-ness ... "?

June 26th, 2011, 01:29
If I could only be a fly on jinks wall. He's gotta be shaking his head with disbelief! :sign5:

jinks
June 26th, 2011, 01:49
I am thinking about starting a thread about Russian Restaurants, then we could have all the old threads repeated and repeated, repeated and repeated, repeated and repeated, repeated and repeated, repeated and repeated, repeated and repeated, repeated and repeated.

Maybe Bulgarian, Slovak, Arab, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Loa, Cambodian or English restaurants.

All to be in Thailand so that the thread can remain in context.

June 26th, 2011, 01:50
All of us have differing opinions on doctors that we like and loathe. Doctors know this and take it into account when they ask things like 'How would you like your diagnosis and your treatment?' It is therefore utterly stupid of someone to nail their colours to the mast and insist that a doctor that one person likes is "crap".

SAM'S. MEXICAN AND AMERICAN GRILL
Great Burgers, Sandwiches and Mexican Favorites
472/9 M.12 Thappraya Road, Jomtien Plaza, Pattaya, Thailand
Tel. 086 1428408 http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/mlw4014/sam1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/ ... 010874.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/mlw4014/P1010874.jpg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/ ... 010884.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/mlw4014/P1010884.jpg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/ ... 010875.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/mlw4014/P1010875.jpg)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/ ... 010879.jpg (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/mlw4014/P1010879.jpg)
http://door2doorpattaya.com/menu/americ ... grill.html (http://door2doorpattaya.com/menu/american/sam-s-mexican-american-grill.html)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/mlw4014/P1010885-1.jpg

and while I wish I were in Colorado eating fresher, larger, and tastier portions of Mexican food, alas, I am here.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/mlw4014/P1010888.jpg

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic ... can-grill/ (http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic/40109-sams-mexican-american-grill/)

as if food were the most important thing in life"
As if? 119 helpful posts about a humble little restaurant (14 seats) in Pattaya ...

June 26th, 2011, 09:46
Recently I had the pleasure of Googling Food Critic.
They are "journalists first" who have an "understanding" of ingredients.
They eat a meal and then form their "opinions". They are "not experts", have "no formal training" and are "not chefs". There are no specific qualifications, degrees or licensing.
As a matter of fact, as long as you can WRITE GOOD, anyone can go into the field of being a food critic!

kittyboy
June 26th, 2011, 10:01
Mexican food is important to me. I never said its important to everyone. Anyone who thinks Sams is decent Mexican food shares your indifference. I'll ignore your lame comment about my music example; it was clear to non-abusive readers.

Oh I like the violin competition music example. Here is my rendition of his concert critique based on his mexican restaurant critique model.

I can see you at your nieces concert recital. She does an nice job playing the violin - we have to consider that she is in elementary school. Your proud sister says "Good job darling we love you and your playing was good".

You storm up saying screaming at your niece, "That was shit playing. I am an expert at violin playing. I have heard violin music all over the world from Carnegie Hall to international violin competitions and you are shit and as my sister you are stupid and ignorant and a twat for telling my niece that she is anything but shit as a violin player".
You storm off.
Your brother in law turns to your sister.
"What a fucking gaping hole! You guys still want to eat mexican for lunch at Sam's?".

Beachlover
June 26th, 2011, 12:31
I am serious that I'd like to see all the Mexican places in Pattaya go out of business. Then nobody would dare to serve such a low standard Mexican food here and some smart person might realize they can do as well as the better Bangkok places, and then we could finally get at least one half decent place for Mex food in town.
Why do existing restaurants have to go out of business for that to happen? If what you call a "decent Mexican restaurant" opened and drew enough customers it might send the others out of business or make them improve their own product.

When it comes to such a subjective thing, your opinion may be more qualified but it is still an opinion. The fact is, Justme and others enjoyed this place, so let them enjoy it. Your opinion of the food isn't a solid fact.

I happen to think the coffee at Starbucks is bland horse piss and not real coffee but that is my opinion and it seems some people do enjoy it.

bigben
June 26th, 2011, 18:00
Just to lighten things up a little on this thread.....I made this in my home a few months back. It may not be real Mexican food but it sure as hell was good. Everything you see was purchased at Friendship except the plate and spoon.

Equipment needed:

Crock pot to cook the pork
Frying pan to heat the flour tortilla
Microwave to melt the Anchor cheddar cheese

For the secret recipe please send 25b, Cash--check--or money order to:

Big Ben
Just around the corner from Wat Chi
3 doors down from the 7-11
Next to the big tree
Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi

[attachment=0:z666yife]DSC00003 (4).JPG[/attachment:z666yife]

kittyboy
June 27th, 2011, 16:58
Our resident self appointed mexican food (bitchfest nothing will ever be good enough for MY TASTES and everyone else is shit) food critic Narakmak declares he put me on ignore. I hope it is true. Sorry guys (girls and those of the 3rd category) for dragging this out so long.

I have a problem with self appointed experts that think anyone who disagrees with them is wrong.

I suspect Sam's has decent food, not great but edible. But what do I know..I apparently disagree with Narakmak and that apparently makes me an idiot.

It is good to know my place in life.

June 27th, 2011, 17:21
Do you think I too can be as lucky as you?!
Signed:
The Pimp
:happy7: :happy7: :happy7:

kittyboy
June 27th, 2011, 17:30
Do you think I too can be as lucky as you?!
Signed:
The Pimp
:happy7: :happy7: :happy7:

Pray to the big buhda and maybe in your next life you will be spared assholes like him.
I doubt it as guys like our self appointed (I must be right and everyone else must be wrong) food critic seem to spring up like cockroaches. You can not get rid of them but with a bit of diligent pest control the fuckers crawl back under the counters.

LOL baby - buy me another drink and I will call him a fucking cunt bitch whore cocksucker for you anytime.

Take me to Sam's for dinner then get one of your boys to blow me under the table while I drink beer and I will go bitch slap the fuck in person.

June 27th, 2011, 17:36

blazer
June 28th, 2011, 12:08
I like Tequila Reef, right on Soi 7. The best Mexican food I've tasted so far in Thailand. I try to get there at least once a week when in Pattaya. They had a good Thanksgiving Dinner last November as well.

Mikes is also good, and probably a better ambiance than Tequila Reef. But Tequila Reef's margaritas are much better.

Guess I'll have to try Sam's next time in town.

Narakmak
June 28th, 2011, 12:44
You are judging by margaritas? Ridiculous. Tequila Reef, the second worst Mexican food I have had in Thailand, after Blue Parrot, the absolute dregs. I can't even imagine an American, much less a Mexican, thinking TR has good Mexican food. Hint -- BBQ ribs are not Mexican food or even Mexican American food. It's a weird thing you find in Thailand, "Mexican" restaurants serving American ribs. Nothing wrong with American style ribs though. Maybe they are good at TR, but I already have other good ribs places in town, and I don't wish to support that sham TR place.

lonelywombat
June 28th, 2011, 12:57
LOL baby - buy me another drink and I will call him a fucking cunt bitch whore cocksucker for you anytime.

Take me to Sam's for dinner then get one of your boys to blow me under the table while I drink beer and I will go bitch slap the fuck in person.

Now you are talking. Is there room for one more at your table.

Narakmak
June 28th, 2011, 13:01
I get it now. A bunch of sex addicts here with no understanding of food.

June 28th, 2011, 13:11
Yes, I will agree on this one...... To score a restaurant on their alcoholic drinks?? And I also, sorry to say, am full heartedly in agreeance that Tequilla Reefs is SECOND WORST, in my humble opinion, surpassed only by the food that they call Mexican at Blue Parrot!
Both in my opinion are really horrible.
When I tried someones ribs to see how they were, you would have to sit there and KNAW at it to get the meat off the bone. I have never gone back to either and Blue Parrot is across the street from me.

June 28th, 2011, 13:14

Well,

It is Pattaya, and you know what they say about when in Rome.............................

lonelywombat
June 28th, 2011, 13:26

I owned a restaurant for nearly 8 years and have had my share of food experts and reviews in that time.

I remember the "big name" reviewer who sent his secretary in to borrow a menu. We had our new season menu available but had not started to beginning to prep.

The writeup for our pigs cheek done to perfection had me rolling on the floor for weeks. Our supplier had told us he could not supply for some weeks due to demand, so we removed it.

His comments on our stickydate pudding with home made icecream, plus our passionfruit souflee, were similar to our advertising brochure and his review could well have been written from a radio interview my chef had given earlier that month.

But the crowning glory was his comment he deplored undressed tables, which we use at breakfast and lunch only. We double cloth tables for evening service.

The only reviewers that we had we had respect for, were those that introduced themselves after paying the bill.
This was when they got details of the chef, extra feedback on specials and comments on our winelist.

I am afraid I have no respect for those who set themselves up as experts on food , and insist on telling everyone how good they are.

Narakmak
June 28th, 2011, 13:32
Total BS! The best reviewers ALWAYS remain anonymous as much as they can. Of course a restauranteur would hate food critics. Duh.

In major cities, there are many thousands of eateries. What do you expect, food lovers to personally try all of them, wasting their money at most of them? Of course you would. Consumers shouldn't rely on one reviewer. They should read different ones and also food blogs like this --

Then they can make better decisions where to try, based on their own tastes, and track record of agreement with specific reviewers.

http://blissfulglutton.com/peter-chengs-smyrna/

Duh!

lonelywombat
June 28th, 2011, 14:22
Total BS! The best reviewers ALWAYS remain anonymous as much as they can. Of course a restauranteur would hate food critics. Duh.
Duh!

Very difficult to remain anonymous when you want to take photographs of the dishes for the review.
Duh!!!

Actually the discussions were always interesting as the best reviewers have a lot to offer and are always interested in anything different in food preparation or presentation.

Duh2!!

Narakmak
June 28th, 2011, 14:25
Sounds like a hick town.
The most famous reviewers have a tradition of anonymity (not easy to pull off). Bloggers may be different. Many foodies take pictures of food anyway and pictures aren't always an element of reviews. Pattaya has no serious reviewers. It's all PUFFERY.

lonelywombat
June 28th, 2011, 14:48
Duh!

Very difficult to remain anonymous when you want to take photographs of the dishes for the review.
Duh!!!

Actually the discussions were always interesting as the best reviewers have a lot to offer and are always interested in anything different in food preparation or presentation.

Duh2!!
Sounds like a hick town.
The most famous reviewers have a tradition of anonymity (not easy to pull off). Bloggers may be different. Many foodies take pictures of food anyway and pictures aren't always an element of reviews. Pattaya has no serious reviewers. It's all PUFFERY.

City of 5 milion people!!!!!!! Cannot remember anybody other than a reviewer taking pics in the restaurant. often for functions.

Pray tell me were all your reviews without pics or were they all puffery.

Narakmak
June 28th, 2011, 15:11
You're silly. Maybe from a hick country.

http://eater.com/archives/2010/04/19/an ... -guide.php (http://eater.com/archives/2010/04/19/anonymous-restaurant-critics-field-guide.php)

Critics anonymity is paramount to them being treated like regular folks are treated

June 28th, 2011, 15:33
I need to say that Smyrna Georgia is a huge, very beautiful city. The picture and food look absolutely picture perfect but I cannot taste a picture and I dont know how crazy I would get over a Tofu dish.
To each there own.
If YOU did this review, I congradulate you on your review and being able to go many places and taste, sample and explore variety of foods.

That being said, I think the problem here still remains, that if you look at your previous posts, you put yourself out to be an "expert" and that your review is a "fact". If your reviews were mainly on high end restaurants and chefs as this article shows, then Sam's or any "ordinary restaurant" would probably never hope to get any type of decent remarks from you. You need to stick to the dozen or so high end restaurants that Pattaya has to offer and us retired folk with budgets can oogle over and critisize those more budget orientated places..... although I do love Freddie at Bruno's and his food when I get to go there.

If you had disagreed with our reviews rather than beligerantly continued yelling that it was "crap" and that you were an expert and these were the facts, etc. I believe this thread may have ended quite a long long time ago.

Someone else was right when they said that food critics are snobs and YES, you also were right when you said I was a sex addict but no when you referred to me as a "pimp".

Narakmak
June 28th, 2011, 15:37
I am not the Blissful Glutton, she is a Jewish lady from Mexico City (I am a BIG FAN), but I have eaten there and the eggplant dish is one of my favorite dishes I have ever had in my entire life. I disagree also that reviewers need to focus on high end restaurants. That is totally false. Many reviewers focus on ethnic and budget places.

June 28th, 2011, 17:08
Wonderful and I love eggplant. Nice eggplant at Villa Market!
But you did not address the other comments about why you found yourself being attacked.
And just thinking about it, why did you print someone elses review? How about printing one of YOURS and removing your name?

Narakmak
June 28th, 2011, 18:32
But you did not address the other comments about why you found yourself being attacked.
And just thinking about it, why did you print someone elses review? How about printing one of YOURS and removing your name?
You're joking right? Do you think I'm an idiot? Think before you post?

kittyboy
June 28th, 2011, 18:57
You are an idiot if you do not believe others have the right to disagree with you.
Do I think you are stupid? A self important asshole who thinks people who disagree with him about the taste of food are ignorant and engaging in idiocy (your words from other posts) would be a better description.

A gaping a gaping fucking asshole.

June 29th, 2011, 02:58
I guess I am stupid. Now if you are a retired expert in the field of food critique, why would you not let us review your review? I even said remove your name.
I would like to see one or two of your reviews and what you said about them.
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

lonelywombat
June 30th, 2011, 07:16
We had had 3 different types of reviewers in my time as an owner.

The high profile daily newspaper writers, plus the reviewers for trade publications and awards and the gourmet and dining magazines. They were all respected, some often called in for a chat weeks after the review, offering advice and ask for info from my German chef.

Next level were the reviewers who believes they were the final arbiter of all things dining. The worst used to mark out of 20, and anything under 15 was "TRASH" One had a thing about bread and linen serviettes and would deduct marks from the food, ambience and service, one point for each. I remember an excellent bistro, also losing a mark for polished wood tables. That I think was when the rot started to set in.

Restaurant owners started to refuse one entry even when he stated he was not doing a review. Wait staff in other restaurants started to refuse to serve him, as well.

But the worst of all were the ones that believed their shit did not stink. They saw themselves almost as a dining god who could never be wrong. One bragged he had closed more restaurants that the Taxation and Health departments conbined. He had no interest in the losses a restaurant would incur, he cared little about the emotional and financial fallout that was the price of not being up to his standards. There were rumours of violence towards a reviewer who was scathing to an Italian restaurant, but I kept clear of that, and was not interested in the details.

This thread is mainly about Narakmac and Sams.

It is interesting that narakmac claims that Sam knows him. I wonder if Sam knows this type of crap on only one thread is being published?

I got tired of reading his opinionated rants about Sams, but here are a few from this thread only.

I think the food there is HORRIBLE. Bland, no spice, not authentic. Everything is wrong. It isn't real. Please don't waste your money. Please stop supporting fake Mexican food in Pattaya. Bangkok and CM have some half decent places. Pattaya doesn't. Maybe someday. Not now and not Sams!

BTW, it's[ Sams] also a very poor value..

A place like Sams, this is how they stay in business. People hoping they will get better.

I say starve them out until someone opens a decent Mexican place in Pattaya

They serve that crap because so many of you are willing to buy their crap.

I am serious that I'd like to see all the Mexican places in Pattaya go out of business.

Though I wouldn't call either total crap like Sams, etc.

I want all Pattaya Mexican places to go under because that opens the space for a new place to set a decent standard here.

I have been to Sams three times. All times, really low standard food. Mexicans would be disgusted and wouldn't eat there unless they were starving and it was free, and because I know Mexican food, so was I.

there is no doubt Sams is objectively bad. It is true some people may like Sams, but they simply have horrible taste and know nothing about what Mexican food

Here is why I returned three times.

1. To try out the new place. It was crap.
2. Some poster on thaivisa said it was great and it had gotten better. Returned. It was still crap.
3. Another poster on thaivisa said it was great and it had gotten better. Returned. It was still crap.

Three strikes, you're out

could not stomach the food at Sams or any other place in Pattaya

Narakmak
June 30th, 2011, 07:57
Liar! I said I talked to Sam about his food. I never said he knows me. Duh.

Also, you totally distorted my thoughts. Sams is not the worse Mex place in town. Blue Parrot and Tequila Reef are. I have no special issue about Sams. One poster here suggests we should support his food because he is supposedly gay. I find that absurd.

lonelywombat
June 30th, 2011, 09:04
Liar! I said I talked to Sam about his food. I never said he knows me. Duh.

BTW, I have spoken to Sam about his food. He is a nice guy I admit but he serves very poor Mexican food. Apparently there is a market for it. Good for Sam. Bad for lovers of decent Mexican food.

I am sure Sam will remember you when he reads this thread.

Also, you totally distorted my thoughts. Sams is not the worse Mex place in town. Blue Parrot and Tequila Reef are. I have no special issue about Sams.

Could have fooled me.

Narakmak
June 30th, 2011, 12:53
No, Sam does not know me. Like I was the first person he ever spoke to about his "style" of food. Again, now it sounds like you deliberately distorted what I said here. Very sleazy. What's your agenda?

lonelywombat
June 30th, 2011, 18:46
No, Sam does not know me. Like I was the first person he ever spoke to about his "style" of food. Again, now it sounds like you deliberately distorted what I said here. Very sleazy. What's your agenda?

No agenda. I took umbridge at your cowardly attacks on people as if you were some god. The fact that my reply was mostly quotes from your own postings might be a little too subtle for you, but I tried.

Sleazy invites more honesty than you deserve. Get a life.

You could prove to have a lot of value if you could harness your ego, and shaved your big head.

PM me if you wish. I dont bite.

Narakmak
June 30th, 2011, 19:20
Trashing a restaurant's food is cowardly? WTF! We are obligated to love everyone's business product? Get real.

Beachlover
June 30th, 2011, 20:32
I say starve them out until someone opens a decent Mexican place in Pattaya... I am serious that I'd like to see all the Mexican places in Pattaya go out of business.... I want all Pattaya Mexican places to go under because that opens the space for a new place to set a decent standard here.
Come on Narakmak... this is getting ridiculous.

I respect you may be very fond of Mexican food and your opinion may come from possessing a lot of expertise and experience with it. But that kind of irrational attitude alienates people. One of the biggest complaints against food critiques is when they have absolutely no consideration or care for the sheer investment and energy that's gone into starting a new business. Sure, it might be shit product (to you), but you alienate the community when you're irrationally and unnecessarily cruel towards something that's taken a lot of effort.

As for Sams... why do you want to see it shut? That's such an immature thing for a food critique to say. You can't deny there's a good number of people who enjoy it and even rave about it. Are you so selfish as to deprive them of that? I think Starbucks serves horse piss for coffee but others like it. I accept that.

Worse still, you fail to realise closing these "sub-standard" businesses would do NOTHING to encourage the superior type of restaurant you describe to open. In fact, their presence is an important stepping stone as they create and re-affirm the market for Mexican food there and better open the way for someone to come in and deliver an even better product. That then encourages existing businesses to step up to a higher standard.

Lonely's right. Not all food reviewers are anonymous and follow the same practices you might have done as a top-tier critique...

June 30th, 2011, 23:18

No dear, you very specifically said that Sam's served "crap" and was disgusting.
You did say Blue Parrot and Tequilla Reef were last but that CLEARLY insinuates that Sam's would be next on that list of yours as well you said it should be boycotted and shut down. Not in those exact words but damned close.

You also said that Sam was a very freindly man. You said you had discussions with him regarding his food. If this were so, why wouldnt he remember you? I would remember if a raving lunatic came into my restaurant and told me tat my food was crap.

Recently, I spoke to Sam and advised him about this thread and what our dear food critic at large said.
His reply was that some people had already told him about the thread and asked why he did not join and defend himself. His reply was that those that want to attack him or his food, will continue to do so and his trying to defend himself doesnt help. People will come into his restaurant nevertheless and like it or not. He also said that several people have been by to see his food since the thread started specifically mentioning the thread. He did not say what they thought.

I can only say that since this thread has started, I have been back to Sam's and enjoyed it!
1 soi behind Mignon's Restaurant there is a small soi and it is on the corner.
Sam's Mexican and American Grill. Say hello, he is a nice person and a member of our community!

And the food while not 5 star is a great place for a meal!

Narakmak
June 30th, 2011, 23:35
Nobody has really raved about his food. Go ahead and try it. Anyone who really knows Mex food or Mex-American food (which is what he claims he serves) will agree it is CRAP. For example, his salsa. A joke.

June 30th, 2011, 23:45
IDIOT!!!! LOOK AT THE FIRST POST TO THIS THREAD.
:sign3: :sign3: :sign3: :sign3:

Narakmak
July 1st, 2011, 00:21
IDIOT!!!! LOOK AT THE FIRST POST TO THIS THREAD.
:sign3: :sign3: :sign3: :sign3:
Just you, dear. Never from any other person. I don't count you. You are irrational. You suggest we should give money to businesses just because the owners are gay. Also, you clearly are ignorant about this food. Did you try the salsa? You have ZERO credibility. You won't find one other person to rave about this food. I am sure Sam knows that too. He better than anyone knows the level of food he is serving.

Seriously ask Sam how many people have EVER "raved" about his food to him. The best he can hope for is if asked if the food is "OK" customers say yes to be polite, and to indicate the meat isn't rotten. BTW, his burritos are a joke. A 200 baht burrito should be a meal in itself portion-wise. His are appetizer sized.

BTW, I never trashed Sam's food to Sam's face. I know he knows what he is serving so no point in telling him what he knows. The public doesn't all know it yet, how crappy the food is there. They will either listen to my informed report about it or they can waste their money trying it out for themselves. I can't stop you from burning your money on crap food, so go ahead, knock yourself out.

BTW, I am sorry this is so much about Sams but the OP is about Sams. There isn't even one half decent Mexican place in greater Pattaya, and Sams is just one of a number that are all BAD.

July 1st, 2011, 00:44
Listen psychopath....must not be too bad as he has been open for several years now. I am sure there must be "some" returning customers.
Go take a valium! :evil4:
BTW still looking for some of those articles you have written on Escargot and fine dining. :dontknow:

Narakmak
July 1st, 2011, 01:38
I doubt he gets many regular local repeats. It's in a heavy tourist area. With food that bad, I reckon most are tourist one offs. Lots of very bad restaurants survive that way. Go ahead, folks, try it yourself. Waiting for that elusive second "rave" from someone with an ounce of credibility/background with Mexican food. In other words, most Brits wouldn't know, sorry. Never claimed to be a fine dining expert, my scene has always been ethnic food.

BTW, even if I WAS a psychopath, it's irrelevant to the quality of the food at Sams. It would still be crap food. Objectively so. Don't believe? "Taste" their salsa.

July 1st, 2011, 02:37
... even if I WAS a psychopath, it's irrelevant to the quality of the food at Sams...

Whereas, if you were schizophrenic you'd be in two minds about it.

Narakmak
July 1st, 2011, 02:59
... even if I WAS a psychopath, it's irrelevant to the quality of the food at Sams...

You don't understand schizophrenia.

July 1st, 2011, 03:02
I doubt.... In other words, most Brits wouldn't know...Never claimed to be a fine dining expert, my scene has always been ethnic food.
Read that. I doubt... means, I am not sure. Brits dont know any good food? I aint touching that one!
But you did claim to be an expert on food, my dear. I suggest you GOOGLE the words "ethnic foods", and see what you come up with.
Foods from around the "world" and specialty to "regional foods". Well dear, every food in the WORLD is from another region. In fact if you continue reading, you will see that not only is Mexican in there, but so is Chinese, Asian, German, Moroccan, and Israeli foods just to name a few. Gee, may I ask how you are an "expert" in so many foods from around the world? Dont go back and say only far out ones like Mexican and Ethiopian because you even put down Stroganodff 2 as you being an "expert". Surely Stroganoff 2 isn't that far out ethnic.

Now I really should stop because it seems more and more, you arent a great reviewer and you arent even a great journalist. A journalist constantly reviews his work and facts. Well dear to say the least, you have been proven to misquote, wrongfully attribute things to wrong people and now in finale.... this:

I said I talked to Sam about his food. I never said he knows me.
Well I dont know about you but if I had a customer come in and was unhappy about my food THREE TIMES and discussed with me the quality of my food, where I was from etc. ....I think I would "know who he was".

Still waiting for some of your reviews.
Anybody want to join me for a free meal at Sam's Mexican and American Grill? My treat! Drinks not included and no doggy bags!

July 1st, 2011, 03:53

You don't understand schizophrenia.

I understand plenty about schizophrenia, but (for the avoidance of doubt) SGT is not a professional medical journal - therefore I made a remark rather than submitting a doctoral dissertation to PhD level.

I do beg your pardon, O Great One.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Narakmak
July 1st, 2011, 04:33
I doubt.... In other words, most Brits wouldn't know...Never claimed to be a fine dining expert, my scene has always been ethnic food.
Read that. I doubt... means, I am not sure. Brits dont know any good food? I aint touching that one!
But you did claim to be an expert on food, my dear. I suggest you GOOGLE the words "ethnic foods", and see what you come up with.
Foods from around the "world" and specialty to "regional foods". Well dear, every food in the WORLD is from another region. In fact if you continue reading, you will see that not only is Mexican in there, but so is Chinese, Asian, German, Moroccan, and Israeli foods just to name a few. Gee, may I ask how you are an "expert" in so many foods from around the world? Dont go back and say only far out ones like Mexican and Ethiopian because you even put down Stroganodff 2 as you being an "expert". Surely Stroganoff 2 isn't that far out ethnic.

Now I really should stop because it seems more and more, you arent a great reviewer and you arent even a great journalist. A journalist constantly reviews his work and facts. Well dear to say the least, you have been proven to misquote, wrongfully attribute things to wrong people and now in finale.... this:

I said I talked to Sam about his food. I never said he knows me.
Well I dont know about you but if I had a customer come in and was unhappy about my food THREE TIMES and discussed with me the quality of my food, where I was from etc. ....I think I would "know who he was".

Still waiting for some of your reviews.
Anybody want to join me for a free meal at Sam's Mexican and American Grill? My treat! Drinks not included and no doggy bags!

1. In my experience, most British people don't have the palate history to judge Mexican food.
2. Yes ethnic food is very diverse. In the US ethnic food means certain things. Mexican, yes. French, no. Yes I have expertise on many national cuisines. That is my thing and I have devoted much of my life to it. I have also traveled all over the world mostly for eating purposes. Interestingly, I don't consider myself an expert on certain popular cuisines -- French, Japanese, even Italian. My focus has always been on again ETHNIC cuisines, such as Mexican, Ethiopian, Burmese, Peruvian, Sechuan, Hunanese, etc.
3. Stop beating a dead horse. I said nothing memorable to Sam (he did almost all of the talking actually) and it has been YEARS since I have talked to him at all. He doesn't know who I am. Face reality, you stalker.

July 1st, 2011, 06:29
It's obvious that Narakmak is just a troll. You can see his modus operandi in this video.

http://www.howtotroll.org/howtotroll.gif

bao-bao
July 1st, 2011, 06:32
Recently, I spoke to Sam and advised him about this thread and what our dear food critic at large said.
His reply was that some people had already told him about the thread and asked why he did not join and defend himself. His reply was that those that want to attack him or his food, will continue to do so and his trying to defend himself doesnt help.
I can't vouch for the food one way or the other, but by the comments you attribute to him it seems pretty clear that Sam has more sense than those who continue to participate in this schoolyard brawl.

Narakmak
July 1st, 2011, 11:28
Yes, it's sensible indeed because the food there is indefensible. Anyone with basic knowledge of Mexican American food knows if he opened his place with the same food in a place like San Diego, there would be no business, or worse.

kittyboy
July 2nd, 2011, 17:59
Yes, it's sensible indeed because the food there is indefensible. Anyone with basic knowledge of Mexican American food knows if he opened his place with the same food in a place like San Diego, there would be no business, or worse.

or worse? Bombed out by the Mexican Mafia for crimes against culinary decency?
The word Hyperbole comes to mind.
I ate at Sam's yesterday.
The food was quite good.

July 2nd, 2011, 18:36
The food was quite good.
You ate there!! The food is crap. Crap I tell you and they should be closed! I mean try their SALSA! Its a JOKE!
Just joking and tomorrow I am going to try the "crap" at Stroganoff 2 and will write MY EXPERT OPINION. I think its expert enough since I have been eating all types of foods for 56 years!

Narakmak
July 2nd, 2011, 18:41
I never said the food at STROGANOFF (1) was crap. It said it used to be decent enough (it was never great, kind of like a serviceable one star) but that more recent visits had shown a definite decline. I still wouldn't call it crap at the crap level of Sams.

July 2nd, 2011, 18:50
REPLY IN 5 MINUTES. And you call others a stalker. Look at every one of your replies. Parapalegic retired snobbish ethnic food expert bigot with a nasty mouth and no freinds. Home all day, all night ewith nowhere to go, nothing to do and no boy take care. What a joke.

kittyboy
July 2nd, 2011, 18:51
The food was quite good.
You ate there!! The food is crap. Crap I tell you and they should be closed! I mean try their SALSA! Its a JOKE!
Just joking and tomorrow I am going to try the "crap" at Stroganoff 2 and will write MY EXPERT OPINION. I think its expert enough since I have been eating all types of foods for 56 years!

I am in town for a few days and decided to eat at Sam's and decide for myself about the food.
The food was good. I had a nice time.

Of course I am not a food critic or the winner of the bronze macaroni and cheese for the most innovative use of processed cheese spread in a greasy diner.

Narakmak
July 2nd, 2011, 18:52
REPLY IN 5 MINUTES. Ans=d you call others a stalker. Look at every on of your replies. Parapalegic retired snobbish ethnic food expert with a nasty mouth and no freinds. Home all day, all night ewith nowhere to go, nothing to do and no boy take care. What a joke.
Even if that was all true, Sam's food would still be crap.
And please stop making up lies about what I have said like accusing me of calling Stroganoff crap. I didn't. Cleared up now, liar?

kittyboy
July 2nd, 2011, 18:55
REPLY IN 5 MINUTES. Ans=d you call others a stalker. Look at every on of your replies. Parapalegic retired snobbish ethnic food expert with a nasty mouth and no freinds. Home all day, all night ewith nowhere to go, nothing to do and no boy take care. What a joke.
Even if that was all true, Sam's food would still be crap.
And please stop making up lies about what I have said like accusing me of calling Stroganoff crap. I didn't. Cleared up now, liar?

No I ate there. The food was quite good. You are wrong.
You apparently do not know anything about mexican food.

July 2nd, 2011, 18:59
I never said the food at STROGANOFF (1) was crap. It said it used to be decent enough (it was never great, kind of like a serviceable one star) but that more recent visits had shown a definite decline. I still wouldn't call it crap at the crap level of Sams.
Certainly your ethnic expertee ism for food being a food expert, should consider a "one star, and GOING DOWN serviceable food establishment whose food was on the decline" CRAP...NO??? Is a one star GOOD? :sign5: :sign5:

Narakmak
July 2nd, 2011, 19:05
You are insane and clearly obsessed with me. Yes, a one star is serviceable. People can enjoy food at one star, especially if they aren't overpriced, and Stroganoff is priced well. Like I said, they have gone down recently if my experiences reflect what is actually happening there. I will try at least once again to confirm that they really have slipped. It's always possible they could have turned it around again. I based my they have slipped judgment based on multiple recent visits. So I will wait a good while before trying again.

July 2nd, 2011, 19:09
I/we wait with baited breath for your "review".

Narakmak
July 2nd, 2011, 19:17
I/we wait with baited breath for your "review".
I'll keep that in mind. I won't be going to STROG 2 though. It might be different than STROG 1.

Beachlover
July 2nd, 2011, 22:35
more sense than those who continue to participate in this schoolyard brawl.
Bao Bao, you're a complete hypocrite.

I've noticed you dislike large arguments, heated debates and slagfests. You think they shouldn't occur. Yet almost every time one occurs, you drop in to make a comment.

Your comment is usually something obvious, meaningless or ignorant, which is fine. Except you also insult and dismiss the feelings and opinions of those who choose to participate in whatever discussion is being had, just as you have above.

You may mince around, patronise and tread carefully with your words, but the meaning's still the same. You are saying that the posts, opinions and feelings of everyone on this thread are worthless. You've done that a number of times. Yet, instead of skipping these discussions, you continue to drop in to them and make a similar comment each time. Are you incapable of ignoring and skipping over posts and discussions that don't interest you?

I couldn't care less about some things posted here. Other times I dislike what's posted. I may ignore them or voice an opposing view directly.

But I would never go into a discussion and make a "nicey nice" comment dismissing everyone's effort and participation as worthless without engaging with the actual subject of the discussion. To me, that's just as discourteous as calling someone a fuckstick or moron.

July 2nd, 2011, 23:15
I try and like Bao Bao but Beachie does have a point.
If you drop in on the Mexican Food debate and dont want to read it and dont like it, dont read it and especially dont comment on it.

It is obvious that the man is passionate about his SALSA to the point that he is mentally disturbed. He now posts his desires about Mexican food on almost every thread as well as his dislike for go go bars, calling owners pimps, the boys prostitutes and now is on a STD kick. all this and he doesnt even go out to the bars. If you dont like them, dont let them bother you.

He hates God and wants everyone to know it, credits wrong people with wrong quotes and has to be one of the most miserably loely people I have run across!

Beachlover
July 7th, 2011, 22:34
I try and like Bao Bao but Beachie does have a point.

If you drop in on the Mexican Food debate and dont want to read it and dont like it, dont read it and especially dont comment on it.
Thanks... I agree.

To be fair, I've enjoyed and agreed with plenty of Bao Bao's posts in the past. It's just this constant dropping in on discussions and debates to minimise the views and opinions of those who participate without actually taking any effort to understand the topic that annoys me. Not the end of the world.

I haven't really participated in this thread significantly myself, just saw it balloon into a big rambling argument. You and I may think it's pointless or unnecessary but the people who participated obviously felt it was important or entertaining enough to participate. If you then decide to talk down on them, then you need to be prepared to take some flak back for it. Not tip toe away thinking your comment was too subtle for anyone to disagree with.

Narakmak
November 12th, 2011, 14:11
Sunrise Tacos from Bangkok is due to open in Jomtien within the next few weeks!

Handmade fresh tortillas made daily!
Some meats actually cooked with real Mexican flavors.
Several daily homemade salsa choices, including some hot ones

:sign12:
Mexican food at last! Mexican food at last! Thank Gil Almighty, we'll have Mexican food at last! :sign12:

Do you have an address yet? DaBoss