PDA

View Full Version : Tarntawan Place

ChelseaNY
June 18th, 2011, 21:46
I'll be visiting BKK again for a month in July. I was considering Tarntawan Place on Surawond Rd.

Any opinions? Would I have any problems bring guests to my room?

Many thanks in advance.

Thai Dyed
June 18th, 2011, 23:11
I'll be visiting BKK again for a month in July. I was considering Tarntawan Place on Surawond Rd.

Any opinions? Would I have any problems bring guests to my room?

Many thanks in advance.

Oh, if you live in Chelsea, NY, you'll love the Tarntawan. It's just as boring as Chelsea. And no, no problem bringing your boys back to your room.

[attachment=0:16ufmpce]HappyTarntawanCustomer.jpg[/attachment:16ufmpce]

ChelseaNY
June 19th, 2011, 00:36
I cannot disagree with you about Chelsea. I just happen to live there.

Thanks for the feedback.

June 19th, 2011, 01:29
Tarntawan Place certainly has its fans but I feel it is over priced for what you get.
You might have a look at this place which you can book directly with them or I see now they can be booked through AGODA so you may well do better on price with them.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1160186-Reviews-Saladaeng_Colonnade-Bangkok.html

ChelseaNY
June 19th, 2011, 01:47
Years back I stayed at the Royal Hotel near the Grand Palace, and it was a hassle to bring in guests. I don't want that again.

My primary need are internet, a gym, and a gay-friendly atmosphere near the Patpong area.

Thanks for the suggestion.

June 19th, 2011, 01:51
Small gym, visitors are no problem, staff are friendly, decent free wi-fi, for me an excellent location. Units have been done up a couple of years ago and are well equipped, clean and comfortable.

thonglor55
June 19th, 2011, 05:23
When posters say "visitors no problem" you should understand that security will note down the ID card details of the boy visiting your room, refuse entry to a boy who doesn't have an ID card (all Thais 16+ should have one and carry it at all times) and call you if the boy leaves and you remain in your room to see that everything is OK. If any of that makes you uncomfortable, don't stay there. On the other hand, those who tell you of alternative hotels should also be very upfront about that hotel's joiners policy. Unfortunately many will say "I don't know because I stayed there with my boyfriend but we didn't have any problems". That's not the same thing at all.

ChelseaNY
June 19th, 2011, 05:47
At the Pavillion Place where I have stayed (Patpong II), no one ever checked anything! Never any question asked. Also no Internet, no fitness room. It was clean and quiet but definitely on the down side of things.

I'm still trying to figure this out. Your information is really valuable.

thonglor55
June 19th, 2011, 05:50
Your information is really valuable.Christ! Don't tell newalaan, Beachlover, combat, simonAU or any of that gang. Their fantasy is that I'm a mere troll with nothing useful to say.

June 19th, 2011, 06:41
At the Pavillion Place where I have stayed (Patpong II), no one ever checked anything! Never any question asked. Also no Internet, no fitness room. It was clean and quiet but definitely on the down side of things.

I'm still trying to figure this out. Your information is really valuable.

Hi,

Pavillion place was on the downside 20 years ago.

Take the good advice offered by fellow posters here. I ALWAYS book and pay for a double room, then they can't get clever with you as one tried with me at the Sheraton years ago.

I have always preferred/chosen the Rose hotel or Tawana Ramada on Suriwongse road, google them on price and facilities. They are OK with your needs and wishes.

atri1666
June 19th, 2011, 12:16
You get good prices when you book with Minotel.com. Booking code till 30th june >>> Colors and you will get 15% and for some days also 3 for 2. You can book for all year.

cameroncat
June 20th, 2011, 08:01
Other hotels in that area recommended by others include "The Rose Hotel" and the "Om Yim". One MRT station away are "The Pinnacle", "Vincent's Place" and "The Malaysia Hotel" as well as the Rooms at the Babylon Sauna. Should have no problems bringing "guests" back at any of them.

stevehadders
June 20th, 2011, 08:09
at the Rose they used to stare at you if you didnt bring a guest back!!!
Joking aside I was v impressed last time in BKK - I ate at the Rose's new restaurant in the traditional Thai House at the rear of the Hotel - really enjoyed it and I was "WOWed" by the swimming pool area.... didnt see the rooms as was staying at the Silom Serene - nice boutique hotel, again no issues with joiners

thonglor55
June 20th, 2011, 09:17
at the Rose they used to stare at you if you didnt bring a guest back!!!A friend of mine staying there once came back to his room alone 3 nights in a row. The male receptionist commented "Alone again" and asked him if he'd like him (the receptionist) to come to his room! I should add that my friend is, like Shamelessmack, an afficionado of massage places so had already been satisfied there. Amazing Thailand.

Richsilver
June 20th, 2011, 17:59
Many visitors like the Tarntawan because of its proximity to the gay bars. However, if you are like me and no longer frequent the bars, it is a terrible location. After dinner you return to your hotel room from the Skytrain or the subway and have to fight your way for at least 10 minutes through crowds of tourists visiting the night market on Silom or Surwiwong. It it's raining (this is the rainy season) it is even worse.

As mentioned previously, the Pinnacle or the Om Yim are far more convenient to the Skytrain/subway. I think the Malaysia is just too far to walk to the subway during the rainy season. All three of these hotels are far cheaper than the Tarntawan, though not quite as nice. They all are guest friendly and the the first two have free Internet in your room.

I'll be in Bangkok this weekend and I'm staying at the Swiss Lodge. It's at an ultra convenient location on Soi Convent just two minutes from the Skytrain and less than five to the subway. The rooms are very nice, if a bit small. The staff is friendly and they have free WiFi and great Swiss buffet breakfasts included. I'm paying around 1,800 which is cheaper than the Tarntawan. I'm not sure about the guest policy, however (it's not important to me).

June 21st, 2011, 00:27
I'm paying 2,100 baht for a upgaded deluxe double room with breakfast in the Tarntawan for 6 nights at the start of July through Agoda, the Tartawan also offered me the same deal but with fresh fruit everyday in the room, welcome drinks and a free massage for I beleive 2,400 - just in case it helps anyone out making their decisions.

krobbie
June 21st, 2011, 02:37
Tarntawan Place certainly has its fans but I feel it is over priced for what you get.
You might have a look at this place which you can book directly with them or I see now they can be booked through AGODA so you may well do better on price with them.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1160186-Reviews-Saladaeng_Colonnade-Bangkok.html

Now this is the place I would stay. The studio rooms (42 sq.m.) look great, fresh and very clean. There is a kitchenette which seems well appointed with microwave, jug and a full size fridge. All this on Agoda for July at a smidgeon over 2000 Baht. Crazy not to take advantage.

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bang ... hotel.html (http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/saladaeng_colonade_hotel.html)

I'll be down Sathorn Road near Surasak between June 30 - July 16.

I too have stayed at The Rose a couple of times and have no complaints but the rooms can be a bit small. Excellent position though and the pool area is great. The staff couldn't be more friendly and welcoming.

Cheers and have a ball,
krobbie

Brad the Impala
June 21st, 2011, 04:40
Krobbie,

Stayed at Saladaeng Colonnade once, but won't do so again. I found it just a little odd, from the very cool reception to the central walkway between rooms that makes you feel like you're on a cat walk, and the rooms feel a little smaller than they appear in the photos. In the one bedroomed apartments the bathroom/toilet was only accessible via the bedroom.
The best thing about it is the wonderful food on offer on room service from Zanotti's, the Italian restaurant downstairs.

After that one excursion we went back to our regular haunt of Chin House, now known as Bandara Suites. Should be able to do a similar rate, the rooms feel bigger, don't know if they are, and the staff are always friendly and helpful.

June 21st, 2011, 06:20
Haven't stayed at Chin House (Bandara Suites) so can't compare but for what's it's worth, have stayed in many other places in the Silom area and Colonnade is where I inevitably would return to.

ChelseaNY
June 23rd, 2011, 04:38
Thanks all for the advice. After lots of searching I booked at Tawans Bangkok because they had free internet and a small fitness facility, and it is where I like to be in BKK. Then I found out that to have a guest stay in after 6 PM there is a 950 Bh charge. That seems excessive. I can cancel my reservation. Seems like Tarnawan Place is a good choice, but would I expect a similar fee for a guest at Tarnawan or Rose?

ceejay
June 23rd, 2011, 04:44
You would not be charged any joiners fee at either the Tarntawan or the Rose.

Brad the Impala
June 23rd, 2011, 04:48
Thanks all for the advice. After lots of searching I booked at Tawans Bangkok because they had free internet and a small fitness facility, and it is where I like to be in BKK. Then I found out that to have a guest stay in after 6 PM there is a 950 Bh charge. That seems excessive. I can cancel my reservation. Seems like Tarnawan Place is a good choice, but would I expect a similar fee for a guest at Tarnawan or Rose?

Cancel your booking. Neither Tarntawan or Rose nor Bandara or Colonnade would charge a joiners fee. Bandara has a small gym and pool, and others have referred to the pool at the Rose. Tartawan used to have an arrangment whereby you could use the good gym and pool of a health club in nearby Thaniya Road.

cameroncat
June 23rd, 2011, 04:51
You don't need the hotel Gym. The have a great Gym at the Babylon :headbang:

June 23rd, 2011, 04:55
You don't need the hotel Gym. The have a great Gym at the Babylon :headbang:

Is the man saying Tawans Bangkok, which I don't know it if that is the case, or Tawana (formerly Tawana Ramada) because I always book a double room and have never paid a joiners fee, unless policy has changed in the last three years??, I was a big regular there as well.

ChelseaNY
June 23rd, 2011, 07:02
Okay, the FINAL post, and thanks again. (I love this forum -- even when it gets . . . challenging).

Cancelled Tawana Bangkok (yes, formerly Ramada, with the joiners 950 Bh fee.) Went to agoda and book Tarntawan Place. They still have the deal for 400 Bh with the nearby deluxe gym. All is well and looking forwarding to landing on 7/15. Will teach some at Mahidol U. (@ the Ratchasuda campus). Will enjoy the night life.

I think I've spelled everything right :-)

thonglor55
June 23rd, 2011, 09:30
Now this is the place I would stay. The studio rooms (42 sq.m.) look great, fresh and very clean. There is a kitchenette which seems well appointed with microwave, jug and a full size fridge. All this on Agoda for July at a smidgeon over 2000 Baht. Crazy not to take advantage.For those who don't have a good memory, krobbie, you should perhaps make it clear that you have a regular boyfriend and therefore don't need to worry about a hotel's joiner's policy. The OP made it clear he doesn't have a boyfriend and the joiner's policy was a key consideration for him.

fedssocr
June 23rd, 2011, 09:54
There are a few apartment hotel type places on Saladaeng in addition to the ones mentioned already. I usually stay at Siri Sathorn which is on Saladaeng Soi 1 across the street from Bandara. A little more expensive but nicer. The only drawback is that it is about a 15-20 minutes walk from the bars.

I wasn't a big fan of Tarntawan the one time I stayed there but a lot of people do like it. I thought the furnishing were not comfortable, the bathroom had some issues and breakfast was terrible. But YMMV. Have fun!

thonglor55
June 23rd, 2011, 13:23
Speaking of the Tarntawan breakfast I wish they would offer some decent breads for toast.

June 23rd, 2011, 17:58
"Speaking of the Tarntawan breakfast I wish they would offer some decent breads for toast"

Well Im not so sure about their breakfast bread but I know I once had a lovely Thai sandwich in my room there once ! lol :-)

gerefan2
June 23rd, 2011, 23:28
and breakfast was terrible

So bad I got food poisoning from it and never eaten there since...even if it is free.

Brad the Impala
June 24th, 2011, 02:56
and breakfast was terrible

So bad I got food poisoning from it and never eaten there since...even if it is free.

Do you still stay there, even though they poisoned you?

thonglor55
June 24th, 2011, 16:18
and breakfast was terribleSo bad I got food poisoning from it and never eaten there since...even if it is free.And everyone who has breakfasted there at the same time as you or since has got food poisoning or it was an isolated incident. Unfortunately there are many places in Thailand where it is possible to be adversely affected by the food - diarrheoa etc. - that I regard it as a hazard of living here, even though it's happened to me rarely. That said, a friend of mine has suffered from at least two bad food poisoning attacks, picked up in restaurants in the Australian city of Adelaide. I'm persuaded never to visit there in case I am likewise affected.

June 24th, 2011, 16:22
....and breakfast was terrible....So bad I got food poisoning from it ...

Please stay again soon.

Make it 2 weeks.

With double breakfasts.

:occasion9:

blueboy
June 25th, 2011, 09:12
stay at http://www.baansaladaeng.com/home/index.php, cheap with choice of room size and price, small breakfast but very friendly owner and staff, and located only 5 mins from Silom Soi 4. No problems with guests.

Thor69
June 28th, 2011, 08:47
....and breakfast was terrible....So bad I got food poisoning from it ...

Please stay again soon.

Make it 2 weeks.

With double breakfasts.

:occasion9:

That was funny! lol

newalaan
July 7th, 2011, 19:03
Tarntawan is great for a couple or few days,but if I was staying in Bkk for a month I would be looking for an apartment for sure.

Just recently visited Tarntawan for a couple of nights and found it to be it's usual high standard in everything. Caught up with emails in the free internet office, arrived by car gave the keys to security as I checked in, few minutes later my luggage was in the room and the car neatly parked. Also as usual large clean room and the polite attentions of all the staff there.

I've tried a few hotels/guesthouses in the suriwong/silom area now and it's just not worth the hassle of changing to a new place when the Tarntawan covers all the needs for me, nor is it worth the saving of a couple of hundred baht here and there for the trouble of searching the internet and then having to find out the pluses and minuses of the new place. I pay between bt2160-bt2300 standard if there are no 'special offers' on, this trip checked out 6pm on the leaving day for no extra charge also had upgrade to suriwong room. Yes i suppose room can be had elsewhere for bt1900 or bt2000 the difference is not worth it.

So bad I got food poisoning from it and never eaten there since...even if it is free.Complete nonsense, how could you possible know your 'food poisoning' came from there, it could come from one of a number of sources. I've seen alot of criticism for the breakfast and sometimes the food here, but just don't know why. The breakfast is available 24 hours and is consistantly good. What differences can one possible find in quality between hotels frying or poaching a couple of eggs, toasting brown or white bread, pouring juice into a glass and brewing tea or coffee and cutting up a few bits of fruit? I usually have a cheese omelette for breakfast there and never been disappointed...what can go wrong for godsake?

My bf enjoys his food as most Thais do and the kowpat-koong with egg on top breakfast is always devoured completely. Also the other Thai food he has had on room service he says is always delicious, for me the pork stew with veggies or mash is very tasty and just like mother/grandmothers home made. And i find this is consistantly so as i stay there 3-4 times per year and am never disappointed, if it were as bad as exaggerated by some I would eat outside or elsewhere, and certainly if the hotel was poor I would not stay there.

As others have said it's well situated for all of suriwongs.siloms nightlife. BTS to siam square or anywhere is very quick. Taxis easy to get on suriwong to go to the rachada discos or anywhere, and easy for the driver to know on the way back in the early hours

July 7th, 2011, 19:32
I've just left the tartawan and found it up to it's usual good standards, the welcome is always personal and (at least) feels genuine - and how about this for service .....on checking in ( and I only made my reservation totally randomly about two weeks ago through Agoda not direct with the hotel, so within seconds AND I MEAN SECONDS of presenting myself at reception to check in they handed me a sealed envelope with my name on it which I thought "0h dear this isnt going to be good whatever it is!" - turns out it was a 20 baht trinket wrist band that one of my "guests" must have left behind on my previous visit ONE YEAR AGO !! I would stress they didn't know I was ever coming back ( and I've stayed elsewhere in bkk since) but they kept it "just in case" and had it ready to present to me on arrival, to say I was impressed was an understatement !

Apart from that I can confirm that rooms were spot on as always, actually they were repainting everything in site when I was there and the staff including the security staff who checks your guests to keep YOU safe were as great and unjudgemental as always :-)

Needless to say I'm booking in again in a few weeks on my outward trip - and I happen to know a guest of mine left a cheap watch behind this time so I'm waiting with eager anticipation to sdonor I get it back this time again ;-)

Oh and apologies for any typos, I'm on an iPhone in a dark and dingy bar in KL :-)

atri1666
July 8th, 2011, 08:44
Same opinion like NIrish Guy and newalaan. Stayed there in may for 2 weeks and only good experiences. Food had good quality all times of the day.

Beachlover
July 9th, 2011, 16:26
apologies for any typos, I'm on an iPhone in a dark and dingy bar in KL :-)
Blue Boy Disco?

Jason1988
July 9th, 2011, 21:35
Tarntawan is great for a couple or few days,but if I was staying in Bkk for a month I would be looking for an apartment for sure.

Tarntawan also has apartments for rent. There is also an option to include breakfast daily. :hello1:
http://tarntawanapartments.com/index.html

July 10th, 2011, 09:21
Tarntawan also has apartments for rent. There is also an option to include breakfast daily. :hello1:
http://tarntawanapartments.com/index.htmlAnyone stayed there looks a bit noisy on that corner near Tawan bar is there security?

Jason1988
July 12th, 2011, 10:19
The apartments have security. They aren't any more noisy than staying at the Tawana Hotel (formerly Tawana Ramada) across the street. Very convenient if you like staying in the Patpong / Siriwong area.

July 12th, 2011, 17:46
@ beechlover - re The dingy bar and blue boy - yes you got it in one !! Lol

gerefan2
July 13th, 2011, 01:29
Do you still stay there, even though they poisoned you
Yes, because of the convenience. I dont eat there. I never eat again at a place that has given me the trotts.

Complete nonsense, how could you possible know your 'food poisoning' came from there, it could come from one of a number of sources.
Because I know where I ate during the last 24 hours (nowhere, I was travelling and sleeping).

That said, a friend of mine has suffered from at least two bad food poisoning attacks, picked up in restaurants in the Australian city of Adelaide. I'm persuaded never to visit there in case I am likewise affected
Bit OTT...why not avoid Australia altogether if youre that worried about it!

Thor69
July 13th, 2011, 02:59
"gerefan2" Wrote: Because I know where I ate during the last 24 hours (nowhere, I was travelling and sleeping).

You probably got sick from the food served on the plane. Tarntawan Place couldn't have made you sick! :glasses7:

gerefan2
July 13th, 2011, 04:35
You probably got sick from the food served on the plane. Tarntawan Place couldn't have made you sick!
Yes it did.
You guys got a finacial interest in the place?

newalaan
July 13th, 2011, 06:13
You guys got a finacial interest in the place?Why would you think that? What? your rule of thumb is that if someone does NOT get food poisoning from an establishment then they must have a financial interest in it? absurd. I suppose a decade+ of multiple stays there and never having any ailment while there is actual experience I am drawing on. Add to that the many people I know who have stayed there over the same peroid and yet to even hear of any 'food poisoning' incidents there.
Complete nonsense, how could you possible know your 'food poisoning' came from there, it could come from one of a number of sources. Because I know where I ate during the last 24 hours (nowhere, I was travelling and sleeping). The point is, were you diagnosed with actual food poisoning or did you just have a tummy bug/the trotts? If it was only the trotts as I say it could have come from a number of sources, water you use brush your teeth if not bottled, swallowing shower water, toilets?, hand to mouth after touching virtually anything, if as you say you had'nt eaten for 24 hours it could well have just been too much for the system when you did get round to eating, and it's gone straight through...... Food poisoning and a bit of tummy bug trotts...not the same thing. My opinion only of course.

sydneyboy
July 13th, 2011, 14:54
I have stayed at the Tarntawan a number of times, the last about 5 years ago. The service and friendliness is the big factor. I stopped staying there because I found the rooms were becoming a bit shabby. Any comments on room quality appreciated.

newalaan
July 13th, 2011, 16:05
I found the rooms were becoming a bit shabbyThere have been one or two comments in the past saying much the same. Either I have been fortunate in my room allocation or I have considerably lower standards than some. I have never had a 'shabby' room there ever. If there is an available Suriwong room at the time of checkin-in I usually get an upgrade, the standard deluxe rooms however seem to be consistant throughout the floors. My bf considers the place luxurious, usually huge bed, breakfast at any time, comfy bed, nothing falling to bits such as furniture and drawers etc...as there is in so many hotels nowadays, huge towels, hand towels, face cloths and shampoo, shower gel etc..

I see they had installed a water hose near the toilet pan in the room I stayed in last visit, as is normal in Thailand. I could never understand why these were not standard in every room, its how thai guys clean themselves, I've have forgotten the amount of times the bathroom has been left swimming in water after a thai guy would just use the shower accessory instead. Carpets on one of the floors i noticed had been renewed also. Maybe it's just a slow programme of refubishment as cashflow allows.

gerefan2
July 13th, 2011, 21:30
My opinion only of course
Exactly.

atri1666
July 14th, 2011, 00:05
And also me never had any problems with food in Tarntawan Place during many many stays.

lokewk
November 3rd, 2011, 00:01
Just to add some updates on the hotel in BKK. As I just got back from BKK 3 weeks ago. I stayed at Tawana hotel as I got a good offer in Hotel.com. I did not realised that I need to pay 950 Baht inviting a guest to my room [/b][/color]in the evening. It was a bit steep to charge that amount. Maybe we can actually update which hotel do charge for guest visit and how much so that we can know what is coming and not surprise by these extra charges.

Beachlover
November 3rd, 2011, 00:06
Maybe we can actually update which hotel do charge for guest visit and how much so that we can know what is coming and not surprise by these extra charges.
You can always ask them and they'll have to disclose if they charge for guests or not...

I know for sure, in the Silom area, Le Meridian, Ballys Suite Silom, Dusit Thani and Sofitel Silom don't charge for guests.

I've read the Tarntawan, Rose and Glitz hotels don't charge either.

More than one member has said the Narai Hotel has issues with guests... I've stayed there but didn't bring back any guests so don't know.

ChelseaNY
November 3rd, 2011, 00:23
Tarntawan Place does not charge, and treat guests respectfully.

It's a little expensive for the actually facilities, but worth the price in positive vibe and convenience.

November 3rd, 2011, 07:49
I've always stayed at the Tarntawan Place and I've loved it....but I hate the fact that there arent safes in the room and I've taken that up with management. On my last trip in September I tried the Rose Hotel for the first time. I got one of the suites and it was a little pricey but very nice. Luckily I had a few great sunny days and was able to enjoy the pool at the hotel. The breakfast was pretty lame. The location was nice and I had no trouble bringing guests back to the room since I booked a "double". I couldnt get internet access without purchasing a daily rate from the hotel. I am returning in January and am back at the Tarntawan. It's hard to beat the consistency of the place, the internet access at the business center, the friendly and accomodating staff, the great breakfast and the nice rooms. I just wish they had safes in the room.

cameroncat
November 3rd, 2011, 08:04
The apartment I'm renting in January in Silom (The Cordia) has no room safe either. Really bugs me. But the price is right. You can lock your stuff in your suitcase while out. Won't keep a real thief from just taking the suitcase, but it might prevent "sticky fingers" of curious hotel cleaning staff...

frequentflier
November 3rd, 2011, 21:46
I have stayed there many times..very nice hotel,excellent location..no problem with overnight guests..

November 4th, 2011, 01:09
Totally agree about the lack of room safes in Tarntawan, SO annoying ! I mean surely over a year it wouldn't cost then "that" much to remedy the issue - and I know their answer is the safety deposit boxes at reception but it's such a pain having to go through the process every time and in my case remembering where I left the bloody key as I usually put it away somewhere "safe" in the room and then immediately forget where I stashed it ! lol - but certainly a room safe would be great just for the small things such as credit cards and your wallet etc if you don't want to leave them lying about when you have visitors. On the other hand and to be fair to them also I guess.....I've never actually had a problem, certainly re any of the staff, who I've always found to be excellent and their security staff are rigourous in checking with you that everythings ok before handing back your visitors ID - but that all only works if you can be bothered getting up out of bed and checking your posessions once a visitor has left I guess - so yes safes would be a welcome addition most definitely !

Beachlover
December 3rd, 2011, 10:18
If you're paying to stay in the Tartawan, you're right on the cusp of something much better. Consider paying slightly more to stay in Le Meridien, which is right next to Tarntawan. All problems solved and a much nicer place.

(I recall they do charge for internet but you can phone their reservations line and ask them to waive the internet fee in return for your booking).

kjun12
December 3rd, 2011, 20:03
Tarntawan place can be unclean and its rates are out of line for what you get. I join those who endorse the Rose Hotel where you can get a room (after negotiation) for 1200 to 1500 baht. No problem bringing boys there.

December 4th, 2011, 06:53
Even though more out of habit than anything else I'm generally a user of the Tarntawan I have to admit that on my last stay ( about 6 mths ago) my room was quite a bit more grubby than I was used to there, so much so that for the first time I actually had to ask them to change me to another room and I actually I had to do this THREE times before I was settled ( and trust me I'm not "that" fussy) as there were a few basic things wrong, these were things like after asking for a non smoking room ( in writing and at reception) I was placed in a blatant smokers room, that was wreaking of stale smoke (not that I've anything against smokers I just don't want to sleep in that atmosphere all night).

I was then moved to a second room where amongst a few other surprisingly basic poor hygiene issues the electric socket on the wall at the side of the bed (i.e where I happen to charge my phone and sitting at head height when you're lying down directly beside the bed) had come totally loose from the wall and had just been shoved back into the hole by the staff over and over again as you could clearly see it was broken so when you touched the plug the whole lot came out in your hand, live bare wires and all and I'd visions of my frying myself in the middle of the night should my phone have gone off, the last room I was moved to then ( which wasn't totally the hotel's fault of course but it WAS still annoying ) was on one of the lower floors and when I looked out my window I was looking DIRECTLY into someone's private house room and the lady in that room looked back at me equally perturbed as we were only feet apart once I opened my net curtain and I could actually hear her talk quite clearly to the man I assumed to be her husband, so after a few phone calls to reception, where to be fair to them they did move me without complaint or comment I was sorted - I should also add that the staff have been great over the years when I've got myself into some stupid / crazy situations with perhaps drunk "guests" staying in my room perhaps made asses of themselves in various ways where any other hotel would have asked ME to leave the next morning, whereas the Tarntawan staff just smile politely and laugh as they've seen it all before - many times.

I also have stayed in the Rose Hotel opposite and unfortunately the room and bed on that occasion were quite (very) small in comparison and annoyingly I was placed I think on the 8th floor and for some crazy unknown reason the lift was only built to go to the 7th floor meaning you had to walk the last flight, which wasn't the end of the world of course, but just got really annoying after a few beers when I forgot and ended up getting out on the wrong floor - every time ! lol

So I think Beechy's comment about trying the Le Meriden is a fair one and I'm actually sorry that I didn't try there this time round as out of pure habit I have just gone ahead and booked the Tarntawan again for 8 nights later this month, so let's hope they maybe read this and I get one of their better rooms ( if there is such a thing) this time :-)

I should also add that the very last time I stayed there after all of the above incidents took place I actually booked a suite to see would that improve things and would there be a big difference and there really wasn't and actually the blooming air con unit went into overdrive while I was out and poured water out of it, right down the ceiling and down the walls and flooded half the floor in my absence ( and yeah I know I shouldn't have left it on at full tilt perhaps while I was out !) so that wasn't much better, so basically I think while it's a great location and the staff ARE lovely it is maybe just getting a little bit tired compared to some of it's competition and is maybe well over due for a little make over - but as that sounds just a little bit like myself there too I guess maybe that's why it's always been a perfect fit ! lol