PDA

View Full Version : Ipad Use in Thailand

bucknaway
June 18th, 2011, 09:00
I am planning to bring my 3G Enabled Wifi as well as my Iphone to Thailand. I am thinking of leaving my laptop at home. Are any of you using Ipad with a Thai Sim card? If you do, are you still using your laptop?

The only issue I have is keeping my Ipad safe in the hotel room. I use to be able to lock my Laptop to the furniture but I have not found a way to secure my Ipad beyond locking it in the room safe.

Patexpat
June 18th, 2011, 10:31
don't expect decent 3G outside of Bangkok ...

sjaak327
June 19th, 2011, 05:16
3g is Fairly decent, also outside of BKK. Not sure about the Ipad, but the ipad2 only takes mini sim card.

I probably will not bother to bring mine into Thailand, was thinking of using it on the plane, but the batterylife isn't cutting it as compared to my MP3 player.

Patexpat
June 19th, 2011, 09:29
3g is Fairly decent, also outside of BKK.

where exactly please? I live here and 3G is VERY limited - unless you know different? The TRUE 3g in Pattaya is VERY poor - Infrastructure for 3G is still to be installed in most places outside of Bangkok.

thonglor55
June 19th, 2011, 09:41
3g is Fairly decent, also outside of BKK. where exactly please? I live here and 3G is VERY limited - unless you know different? The TRUE 3g in Pattaya is VERY poor - Infrastructure for 3G is still to be installed in most places outside of Bangkok.I was about to ask the same question.

AKAHagrid-old
June 19th, 2011, 10:02
Wireless service, on the other hand, is all *over* the place. A group called 3BB is putting up hotspots everywhere, and the first 30 days are free. After that, a nominal monthly fee. Plus, there are free hotspots at most public areas (Tuk Com, Major, etc.) I brought my iPad with me, and it's working out wonderfully. Although my comments are related to pattaya, I'm the same is available in most urban areas. As for what's available in the hinterland, I could not say.

Bottom line (for Pattaya): No probs w/ iPad connectivity, but it will be best if via wireless rather than 3G.

bucknaway
June 19th, 2011, 10:54
I am not worried about getting 3g so much, mostly because I will be using the hotel Wifi, but the Cellular connection will come in handy I am sure. I only plan to put about 500 baht on the sim card for the Ipad. I have a spare battery pack that will work with the Iphone and the Ipad. I plan to stock it with a few 30 minute TV shows help me while away the time at the airport. I already have a case with a built-in keyboard.

Just to be safe, I will try to find a USB power base that is powered by 4 d-cell batteries as a last ditch back-up.

anonone
June 19th, 2011, 15:52
I am not worried about getting 3g so much, mostly because I will be using the hotel Wifi, but the Cellular connection will come in handy I am sure. I only plan to put about 500 baht on the sim card for the Ipad. I have a spare battery pack that will work with the Iphone and the Ipad. I plan to stock it with a few 30 minute TV shows help me while away the time at the airport. I already have a case with a built-in keyboard.

Just to be safe, I will try to find a USB power base that is powered by 4 d-cell batteries as a last ditch back-up.

Sounds like you are worried about power a bit. Can I ask why?
My iPad usually lasts a good long time and I don't anticipate having any problems charging it up while in Thailand.
Or...are you just worried about it running out of juice on the plane.

bucknaway
June 19th, 2011, 22:04
My flight lasts about 26 hours and my Ipad will get 10 hours at the most. So I think it is better to be power safe, than power sorry.

soi_toi
June 19th, 2011, 23:18
I travelled for the first time with my iPad2 and just loved it. Having it along really cut down on the weight and space in my carry on as I didn't have to pack or pack around a laptop tote or any of the accessories I needed. I also felt bit lighter not having that extra bag to lug around.

Almost every hotel and airport lounge has WiFi now, so connectivity was really never an issue and getting it into the room safe was a breeze. I had some problems in the past storing my laptop at certain hotels - no more.

I regret not getting the 3G model now only because at the time, my carrier didn't offer a reasonable data package, now they do. ugh!
I was told by a sales rep that a few of the newer smartphones have a feature than turn the phone into a mobile WiFi hot spot for your iPad or other WiFi device. Apparently the iPhone 4 and some Sony Ericson smartphones have this feature provided you have and are connected to 3G.

I found that with the WiFi turned off (Airplane Mode), the battery lasted a lot longer and I arrived at either end with power to spare. However between my two flights, 12 hrs and 4hrs, I topped up the battery whenever I was on the ground at a lounge or at the gate.

One thing I do notice is that my iPad does take a long time to charge up, way longer than my iPhone, which meant I had to stay plugged in a much longer when I was charging or topping up.

As for locking it up in the room safe, I bought one of these and provided my own lock. (http://www.milockie.com). While no system is foolproof, this will only prevent people from making that discrete, undetected entry into the safe.

Happy trails.

cameroncat
June 20th, 2011, 02:45
Remember, If yours is a US 3G iPad, it will be locked to AT&T and you will not be able to use a local thai SIM card. Same with the iPhone (unless you have already Jailbroke and unlocked them). One of the reasons I like flying Thai Airways from the US to Thailand is every seat (even economy) has a power outlet. I watch the movies and TV shows I want on my 11" Macbook Air on the trip over and back.

bucknaway
June 20th, 2011, 08:05
From what I hear, the Ipad is not sim-locked. I will unlock the Iphone again before I arrive or I will go to MBK to let them do it.

cameroncat
June 20th, 2011, 09:02
You are right... The iPad is not locked to AT&T. As long as the Thai provider uses the same GSM Bands, it should be no problem. If not, it will just use the slower "Edge" band.

anonone
June 20th, 2011, 13:40
My flight lasts about 26 hours and my Ipad will get 10 hours at the most. So I think it is better to be power safe, than power sorry.

Ok. Thought that might be it.
I usually have access to power port on plane, so not a big concern for me.

June 20th, 2011, 16:10
..I usually have access to power port on plane, so not a big concern for me.

Same here anonone - in fact First Class is rather too downmarket for me so I normally just saunter up to the cockpit and plug my laptop in there.

:occasion9:

anonone
June 20th, 2011, 18:47
..I usually have access to power port on plane, so not a big concern for me.

Same here anonone - in fact First Class is rather too downmarket for me so I normally just saunter up to the cockpit and plug my laptop in there.

:occasion9:
To each their own. I find it harder to sleep in the cockpit, but playing with the joystick awhile can be fun.
:sign5:

June 21st, 2011, 14:04
I have a True mobile sim I use in my Iphone in BKK, recharge at the seven eleven, it was a life saver, slaved it to my mini laptop using the iphone's personal hotspot setting, worked great. Found it is great to track were you are going in a cab if some fucker tries to take you the long way.

I buy 50mb blocks for a few dollars, which you just call their number press a few buttons and the cost comes from your phone credit (it is in English) and I have found the 3g coverage to be excellent in BKK and even Pataong Beach.

You can get the true sim cards free at the airport.

Lock it in your room safe, check you travel insurance covers it, and make sure there is nothing on there that shouldn't be so if it does get nicked just claim it on insurance.

June 21st, 2011, 14:08
It sounds a lot simplerand cheaper to just get ripped for 100B by the taxi driver.

:rolling:

June 21st, 2011, 15:48
It sounds a lot simplerand cheaper to just get ripped for 100B by the taxi driver.

:rolling:

LOL, fair call. It saved me once from visiting a sponsor shop who had cheap suits, I made him stop, ended up getting out Christ knows where and used the good old Iphone to navigate to the nearest main road where I got a decent cabbie.

Fucking tuk tuks, lol

Beachlover
June 21st, 2011, 23:11
Stick to the nice air conditioned meter taxis in Bangkok... In my experience their meter is often cheaper than whatever rate you negotiate with a tuk tuk. So there's really no benefit to using a tuk tuk over a meter taxi, other than novelty. Took me a couple of trips to figure that out!

Only take a tuk tuk if it's late at night and you can't find find a cab anywhere.

cameroncat
June 22nd, 2011, 04:23
Where do you get the "Free" True Sim Cards at the Airport? I assume they have no minutes on them and need to be "loaded" before use.

June 22nd, 2011, 15:09
Where do you get the "Free" True Sim Cards at the Airport? I assume they have no minutes on them and need to be "loaded" before use.

I picked mine up at a little stand in Phuket airport, I am guessing seven eleven will have them, but look around the airport.