PDA

View Full Version : No longer "Smooth as Silk"

thonglor55
June 14th, 2011, 15:43
Thai Airways, so it seems, is dropping its "Smooth As Silk" message in favor of "I fly Thai" and apparently it's causing some dissension. The new tagline, which has begun appearing on billboards and other advertising materials, is viewed by critics, even by some THAI staff, as being almost meaningless and a poor substitute for the old slogan, which has been an effective and popular reference to the flag carrier, the Bangkok Post reports (http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/aviation/242075/not-so-smooth-sailing-for-slogan).
"Why ditch 'Smooth as Silk'? I'm not sure whether this is a good branding strategy," said a senior THAI executive who requested anonymity. Thai silk is well known the world over, and the philosophy of the operation is to make sure all flights are performed as smoothly as silk, said Jothin Pamon-Montri, a former THAI executive vice-president, who is following the developments at the flag carrier. Airlines suffering a bad reputation will change their logo or slogan, said the pilot, who has nearly 40 years of flying experience.

June 14th, 2011, 16:33
Thai Airways, so it seems, is dropping its "Smooth As Silk" message in favor of "I fly Thai" and apparently it's causing some dissension. The new tagline, which has begun appearing on billboards and other advertising materials, is viewed by critics, even by some THAI staff, as being almost meaningless and a poor substitute for the old slogan, which has been an effective and popular reference to the flag carrier, the Bangkok Post reports (http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/aviation/242075/not-so-smooth-sailing-for-slogan).
"Why ditch 'Smooth as Silk'? I'm not sure whether this is a good branding strategy," said a senior THAI executive who requested anonymity. Thai silk is well known the world over, and the philosophy of the operation is to make sure all flights are performed as smoothly as silk, said Jothin Pamon-Montri, a former THAI executive vice-president, who is following the developments at the flag carrier. Airlines suffering a bad reputation will change their logo or slogan, said the pilot, who has nearly 40 years of flying experience.
Hi,

Their planes are dated and old, as is their on board service IMHO, many of thir Pilots can be barely understood, and while some Airlines a claim to be the Audi Quattro of the skies or the greyhound service, THAI these days reminds me more of a clapped out 1970s Ford Cortina or a lazy old sheepdog.

thonglor55
June 14th, 2011, 17:42
I've always regarded the way their female flight attendants are all dolled up in gorgeous Thai silk to welcome passengers on long-haul flights but by the last third of the journey they're in the street uniform and as keen to diesembark as their passengers as typically Asian - all show, no substance.

June 14th, 2011, 21:05
I've always regarded the way their female flight attendants are all dolled up in gorgeous Thai silk to welcome passengers on long-haul flights but by the last third of the journey they're in the street uniform and as keen to diesembark as their passengers as typically Asian - all show, no substance.

That about sums it all up in one paragraph!

lexusgs
June 14th, 2011, 23:35

Totally right! The male trolly dollys are never that good looking too. Was on a weekend trip to Manila a week ago. Some hot looking guys as crew :bounce:

June 15th, 2011, 00:12

Totally right! The male trolly dollys are never that good looking too. Was on a weekend trip to Manila a week ago. Some hot looking guys as crew :bounce:

No longer smooth as silk, now more like, ' Rough as a bears arse ' has a certain RING to it!...... :evil4:

thonglor55
June 15th, 2011, 09:33
No longer smooth as silk, now more like, ' Rough as a bears arse ' has a certain RING to it!...... :evil4:How about "Butch as buggery"?