PDA

View Full Version : Hot News >>>Latest Gay Boutique Hotel

bucknaway
May 4th, 2006, 04:22
Maybe I should call up the stores and pretend that I am buying all the brick hard mattresses so that they will be forced to buy softer mattresses for their beds. :geek:

Smiles
May 4th, 2006, 07:14
LMTY ... is that the old Siam Thani (looking around furtively in case Carnarvon is lurking) property?
There was a rumour/news(?) floating around the Board some months ago that it was bought by the same folks who own Howards.

If so, I hope it has better luck than the original, as it comes with less-than-fabulous karma/fengshui/land spirits/leprechauns or whatever variety of positive (or negative) aura you believe buildings possess. (For myself, I just like 'em built to code :blackeye: )

BY the way ... in your opinion, what exactly constitutes a "boutique" hotel, as opposed to ~ let's say ~ a "nice" hotel, or a "fancy" hotel, or an "overpriced" hotel, or a "dump"? I've never actually understood the word "boutique" in relationship to a hotel. It's usually just the owners saying it's a "boutique". Do you think that makes it so ... whatever it is?

Cheers ...

May 4th, 2006, 07:49
boutique is a word generally used by us more refined folk instead of saying "piss elegant" ( the type of language an Edith would use).

However when used in connection with gay hotels they generally are far from "boutique" and usually more like piss palaces as we all know most queen's taste is well, in their arse, so to speak.

However this boutique hotel may break the mould as everyone knows the owner is a charming chap and when LMTU says I will be "pampered" he well knows I have extremely high standards.

Curtains on the window, a bed and a sink to piss in are all some the exacting high standards I expect so I 'm looking forward to this one. I'd consider "pampering" to be something like a personal introduction to the cockroaches by the GM.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

May 4th, 2006, 08:00
A "boutique hotel" is one that doesn't cater for the masses it usually has a limited number of rooms and is most often not multi storied and has a bit of a garden, it can be a dive it can be very nice and it can be excellent. Not implying any style it can be minimal Zen or fluffy and cluttered. The concept has been hi-jacked by some of the chain hotels. The four seasons is not a boutique hotel.

A gay boutique hotel is usually a dive as pearl describes. But there are some very nice ones in West Hollywood, Barcelona,Palm Springs, Amsterdam, Berlin etc.
Of all the "straight" ones the "Water Garden" in Candidasa is my favourite, though since the English gardener/owner sold it I can't vouch for it, and the Amstel in Amsterdam which I can vouch for despite its "inter continental" name change.

May 4th, 2006, 08:51
I just booked a vip room at howards..................hope they are as pleasant as they look in the pics!

May 4th, 2006, 09:23
I had a nasty case of candidasa once. Took four weeks of strong antibiotics to get rid of.

May 4th, 2006, 11:01
Hi Folks...

What about this new gay boutique hotel on Patpong 2? Has anyone got a web site, review, photos etc.?

I was chatting with someone in Telephone the other night, who seemed to feel that it was quite smart.

May 4th, 2006, 11:04
I stayed in Serene boutique not far from patpong for one night...........they only had 1 room for 1 night at 4400 baht lol....so its either very popular or i was unlucky that day.

Must say the room was fabulous with en suite and seperate kitchen and dining room...................staff were too busy to be friendly at all though.

May 4th, 2006, 11:29
You mean the Silom Serene Hotel, next to Bangkok Bank?

May 4th, 2006, 11:38
You mean the Silom Serene Hotel, next to Bangkok Bank?

yep..........had this suite

http://www.silom-serene.com/suite.html

May 4th, 2006, 11:59
the one I was talking about is even closer to Soi 4 -- the directions I got were as follows:

Go out of soi 4 and turn right onto Silom
Turn right again on Patpong 2 (handbag street)
It will be on the left side, before Siam Drug

Apparently it's quite a nice gay hotel, which even has bungalows on the roof (this I'm interested to see)...

I hope it's good, as we *desperately* need an alternative to the Tarntawan, which *never* has rooms (and there is no way I am staying in Malaysia, Pinnacle or their ilk).

May 4th, 2006, 12:01
the one I was talking about is even closer to Soi 4 -- the directions I got were as follows:

Go out of soi 4 and turn right onto Silom
Turn right again on Patpong 2 (handbag street)
It will be on the left side, before Siam Drug

Apparently it's quite a nice gay hotel, which even has bungalows on the roof (this I'm interested to see)...

I hope it's good, as we *desperately* need an alternative to the Tarntawan, which *never* has rooms (and there is no way I am staying in Malaysia, Pinnacle or their ilk).

I adored tarntawan.............but like u said..........hard to get a room when im there.

May 4th, 2006, 12:08
I adored tarntawan.............but like u said..........hard to get a room when im there.

I have tried 12 times this year, and only got in once. Once I stayed in a suite at Pinnacle (disgusting!), 3 times I cancelled my trip to Thailand and went to Bali instead, and the remainder of times I went to Pattaya rather than BKK, which is now becoming my second home. I've given up on the Tarntawan -- love the place but they are completely hopeless. They should have built an annexe 4 years ago, and still fail to recognise the sanity of that sort of investment.

May 4th, 2006, 13:25
No one seems to recognise the sanity in small charming hotels in Thailands hotspots. Gawd only knows what its going to be like when the Chinese really start arriving to sample the delights of what's left of paradise. Bangkok has a few but I visited most of them and can't say I was very impressed. No food no pool no garden, always one thing or the other.

May 4th, 2006, 16:20
boutique is a word generally used by us more refined folk instead of saying "piss elegant" ( the type of language an Edith would use).

And that coming from one who, when not at home, admits...Yes she did, honey!...using the sink...How gauche!...as a urinal! At home; she has a thunder-mug she calls 'la bidet.' (And calls herself, 'La Bidentate.')

'Piss elegant' folk insist the room have a personal holy water font.
The really, truly 'piss elegant' have immaculate evacuation!

Putting the words, Boutique Hotel, before the name is a ploy to fool the plebeian and run the chit up 50%, give it a French name...add another 50%. (Though some may insist: 'subtract 25.')
For example: call it The Hot Sheets...500 baht\night.
Boutique Hotel Hot Sheets = @ 750\nt.
Boutique Hotel Drap Chaud Du Merde...voila!...1,000! Plus 'VAT,' of course.
Warning: with a name like that, guests will expect a bidet...equipped with froth and spray...not just a garden-hose. (Or, in Pearl's case; a fire-hose--And sump-pump.)

May 4th, 2006, 16:30
Now now Edith I am sure your establishment is very boutique. Mind giving us your particulars and we can all come and stay. Just make sure there are no frogs in the pond we dont want to be up all night.

May 4th, 2006, 16:46
Now now Edith I am sure your establishment is very boutique. Mind giving us your particulars and we can all come and stay. Just make sure there are no frogs in the pond we dont want to be up all night.

While many run down a place in an effort to assure it won't be fully booked when they wish make a reservation; I merely make it a point not to mention hotels I frequent.
The same goes (Usually.) for restaurants.

If you don't wish to be up all night; skip the Viaga.

Gaypattayan
May 4th, 2006, 18:06
Smiles asked some number of messages earlier:

is that the old Siam Thani (looking around furtively in case Carnarvon is lurking) property?
There was a rumour/news(?) floating around the Board some months ago that it was bought by the same folks who own Howards.

Punya, the owner of Howard's, reportedly took over Le Colonial Hotel, a fairly run down facility basically "next door" to Siam Thani, reportedly have almost totally refurbished the old Le Colnoia, and have made it into a very nice place. Haven't been there yet, to check it out, but I have heard that they really had to start almost "from scratch" in refurbishing it. When it opens, I am sure it will be a very nice place.

G.P.

May 4th, 2006, 22:29
Uh...what?

sydneyboy
May 4th, 2006, 23:09
Does anyone know the name of the gay hotel Mumbaighost was to?

May 4th, 2006, 23:35

I have tried 12 times this year, and only got in once. I've given up on the Tarntawan -- love the place but they are completely hopeless. They should have built an annexe 4 years ago, and still fail to recognise the sanity of that sort of investment.

Do you guys ever try to book a few weeks in advance or always leave it until the last minute?

I regularly book friends visiting Bangkok into the Tarntawan and apart from one Christmas three years ago have never failed to get a room but I always book at least three weeks ahead.

I think walk-ins are almost impossible at the Tarntawan and knowing its obvious popularity I think anyone hoping for a booking even a week prior to arrival is dreaming.

Some friends of mine stayed there 10 days ago and there were at least three mixed sex couples in residence. So the hotel is obviously doing well and attracting a cross section of tourists so maybe with their other business interests in Bangkok they do not feel the need to expand the site.

May 5th, 2006, 07:29

I have tried 12 times this year, and only got in once. I've given up on the Tarntawan -- love the place but they are completely hopeless. They should have built an annexe 4 years ago, and still fail to recognise the sanity of that sort of investment.

Do you guys ever try to book a few weeks in advance or always leave it until the last minute?

so maybe with their other business interests in Bangkok they do not feel the need to expand the site.

2-3 weeks in advance always -- but still difficult to get a reservation. More than 3 weeks is impossible -- couldn't even tell you what continent I'll be on.

And I'm glad they are doing well -- but they have lost this customer for life -- it's just too much of a hassle to book with Tarntawan, my time is expensive, and the few scraps of free time I get are precious to me. When it is easier to book at the Burg Al Arab than a Bangkok boutique hotel, there is a serious problem.

May 5th, 2006, 08:00
The Burj isn't so easy to book, either. I tried to book three months in advance -- no dice. You have to book a month in advance just to have dinner at their flagship underwater seafood restaurant.

May 5th, 2006, 11:20
One of the only consolations for travelling on business all the time (and not having a life) are these airline loyalty programmes. If you are Marco Polo Diamond, their concierge service will have no problem booking the Burg at the last minute -- even the fabulous suites with butler service!

Another secret is if you happen to be staying in a Four Seasons property, most of their concierges can get you into the Burg 'just quietly' during periods of high occupancy.

Oh -- and the underwater restaurant is just an optical illusion. It still looks stunning, however.