PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Drugs Pattaya - Fascino Pharmacy

kittyboy
June 6th, 2011, 17:18
I have a question about difficult to find prescription drugs in pattaya.
I have psoriasis which on me presents as big red angry ugly patches. Not very attractive but I generally ignore it. I did take a prescription drug for several years (soriatane) which was very effective. I stopped taking the drug and have decided to take it again.

Short question does anyone know a good pharmacy that would have the drug or a clinic dermatology clinic that would be able to get the drug (soriatane) for me. Last trip to thailand I asked about 5 pharmacy shops about the drug. Had them pull out their pharmacy book and showed them the drug etc..but they shook their heads and said "No have" always with a smile. A couple of places made phone calls to their drug supplies I assumed but with no luck.

I was told that Fascino pharmacy might be able to get it but was not clever enough to find one. A good dermatology clinic might be the best solution.

Any thoughts on my predicament? I will be back in thailand in 3 weeks.

June 6th, 2011, 17:27
Fascino, the big one, is on North Pattaya Rd. I go there every few weeks and need to go within the next few days.
I will be happy to ask them if they have it or can get it and have it here waiting for you when you arrive.
If facino does not have it I am at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital every other day and I will ask my doctor.
I will let you know by PM within the next few days.
:love4:

thonglor55
June 6th, 2011, 18:02
I'm assuming that the drug you cited was its brand name; in my experience many street-level Thai pharmacies only know drugs by their brand name and have no way of finding a generic name or a name of a drug with similar effects. For example Crestor which is a statin that treats high cholesterol wasn't available in Thailand a few years ago and many pharmacies would look blankly at someone who wanted to buy Crestor (not sure about now). A friend of mine went to a doctor at (I think) BNH where they told him that another statin, Zocor, is widely available in Thailand. Obviously there's some risk in self-medication by selecting a different brand name as the drugs are not identical, merely related. I'd be inclined to ask a doctor who has been treating you where you are currently located what alternative drugs are called that might be suitable and then go to one of the larger retail chains (Boots or Siam Drug) when in Thailand to see what they have (or get a kindly local such as justme who's offered you a similar service to find out in advance).

kittyboy
June 6th, 2011, 18:32
I'm assuming that the drug you cited was its brand name; in my experience many street-level Thai pharmacies only know drugs by their brand name and have no way of finding a generic name or a name of a drug with similar effects.

Obviously there's some risk in self-medication by selecting a different brand name as the drugs are not identical, merely related. I'd be inclined to ask a doctor who has been treating you where you are currently located what alternative drugs are called that might be suitable and then go to one of the larger retail chains (Boots or Siam Drug) when in Thailand to see what they have (or get a kindly local such as justme who's offered you a similar service to find out in advance).

Acitretin is the generic name of the drug which has a brand name Soriatane. When I went to the pharmacies and looked up the drug I showed them both the Brand name Soriatane and the generic name Acitretin. None of the pharmacies recognized the drug name either the Brand name or the generic.

I would be inclined to know if anyone can recommend a dermatology clinic.

I would also be inclined to go to my last dermatology doctor in the US but since I have not seen him in 2 years and since I live in china with no health insurance in the US I suspect that going and seeing him is not really an option.

I am also inclined to believe that going to the doctor in China is basically going to see someone with marginal medical training and that treating myself with drugs that I have taken and have researched is probably a good idea.