PDA

View Full Version : New rooms at the cafe royale

May 23rd, 2011, 23:25
Interesting news about the cafe royale has just come to my ears. Craig the british owner who has been on a visit , is thinking of adding 4 suites by building the extra rooms on the roof. Would it not be better to update the present rooms instead of spending money on the new rooms? This has be noted before by many writers i.e. old and outdated compared to other gay hotels such as the Venue and Poseidon. Also many people have also mentioned that the cafe is never full these days mainly due to the cost of staying there.

brighton man
May 24th, 2011, 01:04
Yes I agree they would be better placed refurbishing the existing ones which have been left in a time warp. Certainly not worth the money they charge.

joe552
May 24th, 2011, 01:20
Just as a matter of interest, how much do they charge? Pesonally, I wouldn't stay in Boyztown, preferring a mainstream hotel with better facilities, e.g. swimming pool. But obviously someone likes staying there..

May 24th, 2011, 03:24
AOT + Brighton = both absolutely correct.

:occasion9:

frequentflier
May 24th, 2011, 19:01
I am staying there at the moment and the hotel seems very busy....

May 24th, 2011, 19:10
OK you might be right , but over a whole year, its far less busy than in years gone by. What about the state of the rooms , dont you think there should be a revamp?

gregvc
May 24th, 2011, 19:59
I remember a hotel in Korat that kept adding rooms on the top, until it colapsed killing 90 people. All "improvements" sihned off by complacent local authorities. Take care and get out if you feel rumbles.

May 25th, 2011, 06:31
Thanks for that info Greg,you sound like you'd be life of the party.

Rooms at Le Cafe Royale were 1200 baht a night last time I stayed there.
Ambience Hotel opposite is around the same price.
They include an extra 7 percent VAT.
Ambience is now also going for the "straight" crowd and advertising on expedia.

As for swimming pools,I did think The Venue had one,albeit very small ?
I dont know any "gay" hotel with a swimming pool in Pattaya.

gregvc
May 25th, 2011, 12:45
Tony, perhaps you have not been around for long. Just around the corner in Jomtien the Royal Jomtien fire killed 95 people. Fire sprinklers were just stuck in the ceilings and not attached to anything. A year later the owners tried to rebuild without permission. Then there is the Santika pub fire, killing 59. Thailand is not Disneyland, but many new tourists ignore warnings and forget commonsense.

stevehadders
May 25th, 2011, 13:11
I agree caution is sometimes justified...but I am sure we are all safe in this case. I believe the owner used to work with Ian (former owner), and they both ran a successful building/construction work in UK - as such they are probably well qualified in this regard.

I stayed LCR for 2.5 weeks in April, in a newly refurbished executive room - very pleasant and comfortable. No swimming pool, but I have come to realise that whilst I used to look for hotels with a pool, I never used the pool (bizarre but very common I believe), and the location of LCR is good for me

Pay your money and take your pick!

lonelywombat
May 25th, 2011, 13:14
Thanks for that info Greg,you sound like you'd be life of the party.

Rooms at Le Cafe Royale were 1200 baht a night last time I stayed there.
Ambience Hotel opposite is around the same price.
They include an extra 7 percent VAT.
Ambience is now also going for the "straight" crowd and advertising on expedia.

As for swimming pools,I did think The Venue had one,albeit very small ?
I dont know any "gay" hotel with a swimming pool in Pattaya.

Its Billy from Oxford Street plus another dozen names in the past, not Tony

There is a swimming pool at The Venue but for Billys size, it is more like a bath. If I remember correctly friends that stayed at Cafe Royale many years ago, went to a pool around the corner at Mikes.

Maybe gregvc could check that out seeing he is inhouse ATM, as to if that is still available.

May 25th, 2011, 20:15
It depends on what you want from a hotel. LCR has a lot to offer for someone from the west, they cater "properly" for westerners. There are a lot of older people that stay in that area including LCR who feel quite happy at the what LCR has to offer. Should one need help or anything of that nature, then LCR will help even on a local level. Great breakfasts and barbecues, what us westerners want in food, with Thai food also on offer. Rooms are fine. Lift for the elderly. No swimming pool, granted, but sometimes a waste of time, generally if there is a pool I would visit it, but only if there were gay people and locals around it, I certainly wouldn't visit it if no-one was using it, which is generally what happened in hotel swimming pools, you only have to visit that swimming pool down Soi VC to example that. All the activity is on the beach. I'm not sure if LCR is overpriced compared to other places but if you are a regular I'm sure there is some kind of discount in low season. Great friendly management which do something about your complaints if you have any.

May 25th, 2011, 20:48
Joe, sometimes people who are physically have challenged or those that want to be able to fall out of bed and get some cock stay there. Why some people like to live in the bustling metropolis of New York City and some people like the suburbs, but I certainly would not call them "elegant" as one does, by any means. They are basic and do-able.

Beachlover
May 25th, 2011, 22:00
I have come to realise that whilst I used to look for hotels with a pool, I never used the pool (bizarre but very common I believe)
I think most pools in budget or mid-market hotels are worthless, unless they're set on a scenic rooftop or overlooking the beach or somewhere with a nice aspect. Otherwise, they're typically small, dingy, in a crap location and not a pool you'd want to spend any time around.

There is a swimming pool at The Venue but for Billys size, it is more like a bath.
If BadBoyBilly got in his lard-arse would displace all the water and they would need to re-fill it when he got out. :rolling: