PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Election

kittyboy
May 23rd, 2011, 15:05
I am meeting a friend in Pattaya at the end of June. We scheduled months ago and it turns out we will be in Pattaya during the upcoming election (or elections?).

Just a few questions for the old thailand hands...Formed and ill formed opinions are welcome.

What happens to the bars during the election? Are they shut down?
Has there been curfews in the past during the election cycle?

What is the probability of protests and or riots after the election?

Should my friend have an alternative plan to get back to thailand? Ie..go to Cambodia and fly to Europe from there.

thonglor55
May 23rd, 2011, 15:15
The bars will close on polling day and the preceding evening. Last time there was an election they were also closed for a 24-hour period seven days earlier - as far as I can recall it has something to do with when absentee or postal votes close. It may or may not happen again this time. Whether there will be riots afterwards will depend on how quickly the Thai establishment moves to disallow the result of any election that goes Thaksin's way, and how the Red Shirts react to that. Remember that the election dates are close to the beginning of the Buddhist Lent, when the bars are also closed for two or three days (depending on the whim of the government). All of these items were set out in the thread "Having an erection (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/having-election-t21035.html)" of 8 May and you can see the commentary that I and others made at the time.

May 23rd, 2011, 16:17
Right on Thonglor! And just to add that the bars usually do not know themselves until the day before when the police hand out fliers or our lawyers call and tell tell us that we have to close and the details. They love to keep us in the dark! We will try to stay open selling soft drinks and have the boys there!

anonone
May 23rd, 2011, 17:41
Right on Thonglor! And just to add that the bars usually do not know themselves until the day before when the police hand out fliers or our lawyers call and tell tell us that we have to close and the details. They love to keep us in the dark! We will try to stay open selling soft drinks and have the boys there!

You have become a mind reader....i was curious if you had to close down, or just could not sell alcohol. Thanks for the info.
I will arrive in Pattaya right before the election, so If you are open on the 2nd and 3rd, I will drop by.
Please post if you receive any more info on the details.

On a related note, how much impact does this have on non-bar areas? Not sure how everyday life is affected...Do people go to their home district to vote?
May I assume that Dongtan Beach operates in a fairly regular manner? Perhaps with the same restriction not to sell beer / alcohol?

May 23rd, 2011, 18:27
I am trying to recall from memory of years past but I cnt seem to recall. Maybe someone can help us. If I remember correctly, on.ly the alcohol venues had difficulties and many resorted to covering their alcohol with sheets or blocking them off in 7-11's and supermarkets. Some bars served soft drinks. I dont recall that the boys went home. We close for Bhuddist holidays even though we could stay open for soft drinks to allow the boys some time with family or freinds or just go to the beach.

May 23rd, 2011, 18:52
In Bangkok many bars do remain open during the election because the law does not require them to close.
The law states that there is No Alcohol sold from 6pm on the day before polling until midnight on polling day.
This means that bars and restaurants can remain open but serving only non-alcoholic drinks and food.
From memory, places like Dicks Cafe, Telephone Pub, Balcony, Banana Bar, Maxies, @Richards and Coffee Society all remain open and are quite busy because all the gogo bars and discos are closed.

Beachlover
May 23rd, 2011, 20:57
What is the probability of protests and or riots after the election?
This is my biggest worry as it feels pretty unpredictable.

Personally, I'm avoiding Thailand during the election and not making any plans to be there for at least the first several weeks after. It's no hardship as there are plenty of other places to spend time in.

I will also use Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, instead of Bangkok, as my main hub of travel into Asia so if I need to cancel plans to visit Thailand it doesn't affect any long-haul flight bookings. All I do is lose is a couple of low-cost carrier flights (maybe $100) and book an LCC flight to go elsewhere instead.

newalaan
May 23rd, 2011, 22:25
Though not specifically election time, i seem to remember sitting at one bar during one of the official 'no-alcohol' holidays, where everybody around me was drinking their alcohol as usual, G&Ts, whiskey, beer from coffee mugs. No one batted an eyelid, the usual menu, the usual order and only the apology from the waiter regarding the coffee mug was different from usual.

Visits since which have coinsided with alcohol-free holidays I have been at my bfs village, and as you would expect,they are mainly treated as just another drinking day, possibly any 7-11 stores adhere to the law but the local family shops sell whatever alcohol you want day or night. It still amazes me when at 2am where village evening life normally stops about 9pm, if someone wants a few bottles of Leo they just wake up the family shop owner and get served. Never seen a shop owner unhappy at being woken up at all times. Some do respect the dry buddha festivals but regular drinkers don't seem to.

But with regards to the election, I am due to leave Thailand just before polling day, by pure coincidence rather than planning, but I am glad this is the case. As thonglor55 said in his post, bars being closed or having alcohol or not, may well be the least worry for any visitors depending on the election result. If for any reason whatsoever the red shirt do not win power, i'm sure there will be repeated scenes of last May and the demonstrations. If the reds do win, there is bound to be reaction from Yellow or whatever colour is 'in vogue' or the military, I just can't see a senario where the elected government will take over without trouble. I sincerely hope a smooth transition to whatever the post election result give, but now more than ever the political tensions are so acute.

I'm sure thonglor can fill us in with the groundswell of opinions from his heavily fortified ghetto, not sure if it will be "up telescope", binoculars from the parapets or 'over the top' into the action to find out what's going on. But I'm sure he will report honestly what he observes. So I hope the forum takeover is held off until the election is past so Thonglor can be our man on the ground before announcing, yet again, his departure when it is confirmed the current moderator will be in place with the new owners.

I have no experience with the intricacies of Thai politics, my bf shows little interest in line with the other 90% of the population, but I am surprised that there has been no evidence (so far) of rallying cries up in his Issan home from the red shirt brigade, maybe they've yet to settle on the appearance fee for demonstations and the vote buying figure first.

I would agree that the uncertainty which accompanies anything to do with Thai politics would be worth thinking about a change in plans if one is considering visit in July.I
see krobbie, and others no doubt, will be in Thailand at the time of elections, the only thing I would consider if definitely coming, would be perhaps be booking a hotel near the airport the night before incase travel routes are hit. Most any other plans outside Bkk will probably be ok as usual.

Beachlover
May 23rd, 2011, 23:33
I see krobbie, and others no doubt, will be in Thailand at the time of elections, the only thing I would consider if definitely coming, would be perhaps be booking a hotel near the airport the night before incase travel routes are hit. Most any other plans outside Bkk will probably be ok as usual.
Krobbie, maybe you should bring your Mac... that way if you get stuck in Bangkok for any period of time past your planned holiday, you can still get work done for your boss. Maybe even convince your boss to let you live and work from Bangkok on a more sustained basis! (If that would be ideal for you).

joe552
May 24th, 2011, 01:37
BL what makes you think KR has a boss?

ceejay
May 24th, 2011, 03:25
I shall be in Bangkok for the "early voting" day and upcountry in Loei on election day itself. After that, its a few days in Pattaya and then back home on the 10th. I'm inclined to agree with newalaan that it's hard to see an outcome that won't create further problems - but I'm expecting a quiet period of horse trading before anyone even gets the chance to form a government. I'm not sure that booking into a hotel near the airport for the last night would be much of a help - there's not, so far as I am aware, an alternative entry point to the passenger terminal. If the road's closed, then you can't get in. My plan B is to make sure I have enough money available to live on for 3 months - and just hunker down if there is an airport closure. If there is one, it won't last that long.

anonone
May 24th, 2011, 04:31
. If the road's closed, then you can't get in. My plan B is to make sure I have enough money available to live on for 3 months - and just hunker down if there is an airport closure. If there is one, it won't last that long.

I love this plan B....and shall make it my own as well. I can think of worse problems than being stranded in Thailand for a bit.
"sorry boss, stuck here for awhile. I would come back to work if I could....." :hello1:

May 24th, 2011, 04:46
If anyone is currently in Thailand on holiday then they just might get to stay longer as the volcano in Iceland has erupted again so airlines have already started to cancel flights into, and out of some Scottish and English airports. Obama has cut short his State visit to Ireland and left for England instead of leaving Tuesday as originally planned because of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/8531802/Barack-Obama-leaves-for-UK-one-day-early-to-avoid-ash-cloud.html

thonglor55
May 24th, 2011, 09:05
It will be the usual "tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" until, as the Brits say, the clogs-popping event of which no-one can speak but everyone here whispers takes place. I'm wondering, by the way, if one of our medical residents can advise whether grapes are still an appropriate gift for those who spend extensive periods of time in hospital.

May 24th, 2011, 09:12
While I dont pretend to have a doctors degree I have many medical issues which make me aware of consequences of many food stuffs.
Red grapes are extremely high in sugar, so if you think there is any problem with the persons sugar level, you should avoid. Green grapes in small quantities are the best choice. As far as if they are good for that particular individual, it MAY be wise to let us know exactly what the patient is in for.
:dontknow:

thonglor55
May 24th, 2011, 09:22
... it MAY be wise to let us know exactly what the patient is in for.I think you'll find that topic also cannot be discussed.

Beachlover
May 24th, 2011, 20:41
I assumed as he mentioned what he does for a loving sometime back it sounded like he did. Feel free to correct I'm wrong.

Dboy
May 31st, 2011, 01:52
I can't believe that people change travel plans because of this kind of thing, but I know they do. And then some westerners go the OTHER way and get involved in politics that do not concern them. Either way is bad. Don't postpone a trip because of stuff going on in Thailand. Most likely you will never even know there's anything going on at all. As far as political "events" go, this particular one is NOT the one to worry about. If you're concerned about the bars being closed, just book a few friends in advance, plan a quiet party at your place, or whatever..that's what everyone else will be doing.

thonglor55
May 31st, 2011, 09:27
There's an excellent article on Thailand's electoral rules (http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2011/05/30/thailands-electoral-rules/) on the New Mandala site (or, if you're TonyFromCunt69, New Mandala sight.)

Khor tose
May 31st, 2011, 11:54
(or, if you're TonyFromCunt69, New Mandala sight.)

:hello1:

Two41
May 31st, 2011, 22:36
I can't believe that people change travel plans because of this kind of thing, but I know they do. And then some westerners go the OTHER way and get involved in politics that do not concern them. Either way is bad. Don't postpone a trip because of stuff going on in Thailand. Most likely you will never even know there's anything going on at all. As far as political "events" go, this particular one is NOT the one to worry about. If you're concerned about the bars being closed, just book a few friends in advance, plan a quiet party at your place, or whatever..that's what everyone else will be doing.
Ok, but if you are advised by your government not to travel to a country and you still go, any insurance you may have might not be valid.

newalaan
May 31st, 2011, 23:50
can't believe that people change travel plans because of this kind of thing, but I know they do. And then some westerners go the OTHER way and get involved in politics that do not concern them. Either way is bad. Don't postpone a trip because of stuff going on in Thailand. Most likely you will never even know there's anything going on at all. As far as political "events" go, this particular one is NOT the one to worry about. If you're concerned about the bars being closed, just book a few friends in advance, plan a quiet party at your place, or whatever..that's what everyone else will be doing.
Two41 replied......Ok, but if you are advised by your government not to travel to a country and you still go, any insurance you may have might not be valid.That is but one potential problem. Not sure if Dboy is referring to only the actual day of polling or the potential aftermath fall-out of demonstrations and violence if the 'reds' don't get in and the military interference and violence if they do get in. I was in Thailand and Bkk during the last red shirt demonstrations, passing the lines of army personnel resting/preparing along the length of the road my lodgings, Baan Saladaeng were located, everyday to no consequence, but had the red shirt attempts to clog up all the roads in and out of Bkk been successful many would have had a great difficulty in getting to the airport. That can be very costly in terms of time and the associated outlays and penalties of not getting back to your work on time or paying for alternative routes home etc.. It may be not worth Dboy postpining his trip, but everybody may not be in the 'same boat' as Dboy. I would be keen to know exactly why Dboy considers this political event is NOT the one to worry about.

Similarly so very many were caught up in the yellow shirt occupation of the airport, it might be extremely niave to suppose that much of the potential fall out might not happen, if it does the chance of disruption will be high, and who knows what may transpire. As I say I will already have returned home before the elections and I'm glad it has worked out that way rather than the chance of being caught up, however small a chance Dboy reckons that might be.

June 1st, 2011, 01:18
Hmmm, great, oh how I wish I had of read this thread before just booking my summer trip and arranging to flying in to BKK for a week or so from the 29th June and then travelling for a bit, perhaps I would have altered my plans ! oh well, all part of lifes rich tapestry I guess ! Coming from Belfast if there's riots on the streets I guess I'll just feel right at home ! lol

Beachlover
June 7th, 2011, 21:33
I can't believe that people change travel plans because of this kind of thing...
If you REALLY want to visit Thailand and there is no where else you desire to be, just go. But be flexible.

Newalaan is right in his comments on what could happen in that period.

The problem is, the period immediately after the elections is a bit of an "anything could happen" period as far as we know right now. It could be calm, there could be minor protests, there could be riots, maybe a military coupe or there could be a full-blown civil uprising. The probability for it being anything other than calm is significant.

There's been extended periods of serious civil unrest in both 2009 (blockades of airports + various protests) and 2010 (massive red shirt protest and attempt to start a "civil war"). It'll be interesting to see what 2011 brings.

thonglor55
June 8th, 2011, 09:24
Given that the majority of bar boys come from the North and North East, have members considered lecturing their boyfriend on the evils of voting for wicked Dr Thaksin? Pheu Thai apparently anticipate a "clean sweep" of Isaan electorates (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Pheu-Thai-aims-to-sweep-the-Northeast-30157279.html).

Dboy
June 8th, 2011, 09:59
Given that the majority of bar boys come from the North and North East, have members considered lecturing their boyfriend on the evils of voting for wicked Dr Thaksin?

Why, because the poor farm boys can't possibly understand politics? MANY of these boys that need "lecturing" have family members actively involved in the red movement, and some have black shirt connections as well. Spouting off your political views is going to be a really bad idea the next few months, especially when speaking to people you barely know.

Go there for sanuk (enjoyment), not for gan muaang sohk a bprok (dirty politics).

krobbie
June 8th, 2011, 15:48
How right you are. I freelance to this company as I have done for 18 years. We have what one might say ... an arrangement. I certainly could work online as I have done from home and away before, but after a while I like the company of the other designers and one is never to old to learn new tricks.

Cheers
krobbie

thonglor55
June 8th, 2011, 15:50
Why, because the poor farm boys can't possibly understand politics?You have summed up the Yellow Shirt philosophy (and that of many Westerners) in one short sentence.

krobbie
June 8th, 2011, 15:59
I wonder how much the red shirts are paying for their votes this year? What with the4 cost of living increases since last election they will be paying up to 200 baht for Mr Thanksin's young sister to get into power. Doesn't it seem slightly like nepotism ... oh go on then, totally like nepotism?

Come on you lot ... go for it!

thonglor55
June 8th, 2011, 17:06
I wonder how much the red shirts are paying for their votes this year? All the parties buy votes; it's an entrenched habit in elections.

Beachlover
June 9th, 2011, 01:15
How right you are. I freelance to this company as I have done for 18 years. We have what one might say ... an arrangement. I certainly could work online as I have done from home and away before, but after a while I like the company of the other designers and one is never to old to learn new tricks.
Ah, fair enough. I stand corrected then.

Have to admit I have the same issue of missing the company of others when working from abroad for weeks on end. At first, it's awesome working out of different countries but after a while, working from my hotel room every day, I miss the buzz of being around my team in the office and having face contact with clients. It's one reason I like hotels with an executive lounge because there's a bit more energy there than being in your room... I don't know how Matt handles working alone permanently.

krobbie
June 9th, 2011, 02:07
Have to admit I have the same issue of missing the company of others when working from abroad for weeks on end. At first, it's awesome working out of different countries but after a while, working from my hotel room every day, I miss the buzz of being around my team in the office and having face contact with clients.

...which is why they invented Skype. Although Skype from Thailand is usually not the best of pictures. I do use it daily to speak to my partner.

Cheers
krobbie

thonglor55
June 9th, 2011, 09:35
... I miss the buzz of being around my team in the office ...I hear it's not reciprocated.

June 9th, 2011, 09:59
The buzz is from the drones, all busy fawning over the queen.