PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Thailand HELP

May 17th, 2011, 22:02
Hi everyone,
this is going to be my first trip to thailand. I am a 40 yo gay man, virgin...yes ....still virgin...except two or 3 tries with some str8 friends. Avoid jokes please...I have heard plenty already ;-)
I have been reading this forum for a while now and would like to get some help on what to do in thailand, where to go and what to expect. Namely, I will be traveling with a few str8 friends, therefore I do not want to trip to get too gay ;-) but I would like to let my friends enjoy thailand while I enjoy the gay facet of it.

We are going to stay in thailand for 15 days in August, and we would like to travel around. Is there any gay must-see or must-do that I (or we) should definitely know of?

I plan on hitting the gay areas in thailand and the massage parlors...what should I expect? I would like my first time not to be for money, but at 40 I think I have missed that train...don't get me wrong...I am not apolling, I work out and I have also a discrete success with women ...which I couldn't care less about...(sure...my luck!!!!)...but I am shy....way too shy...so I am not really into the gay scene....therefore I risk going to a massage parlor, paying for a massage...and actually getting just a massage ;-). Getting back on track: what should I expect from a masseur...will he go "all the way" or when you talk about sexy massage in the forum you mean just jerkoff? (I have had my share of that already...thanks ;-) ) Am I supposed to take the initiative or will the masseur do that?

What do you suggest? Please be nice and suggest fun things to do...I rely on your expertise...and I promise I will write a journal of my trip and give you a full report when I get back...unless I meet my thai mr-right, get ingaged and live happily ever after in thailand...;-) ...sure...like in fairtales...you realize why I am still a virgin?!...I think I am spotting my problem ;-)..I should get out of this cinderella crap ;-)

thanks guys for all the suggestions and help you can give

kisses

lu

May 17th, 2011, 22:37
These questions are asked nearly every week.
If you use the search function you can see the other questions relating to yours.

I suggest if you "work out" in the gym you could get free sex in Bangkok apparently but I doubt too much success in Pattaya.

joe552
May 18th, 2011, 03:25
Maybe if you asked questions about specific places you'd get a response. You don't say where in Thailand you're going, so it's hard to offer suggestions. As mentioned above, do a quick search or come back with specific locations you're interested in.

dab69
May 18th, 2011, 07:11
with limited time to sneak away from the str8's in tow I would hit a go go bar and take my pick in a hurry.
no time to fuck around here. DJ Station/ G.O.D. club a must see

motorcycle driver better chance of taking you where you want to go
rather than taxi taking you where HE wants to take you.

better selection in go go bars. what's your type?
maybe hit solid bar around silom- free part time room upstairs.
http://www.solidbangkok.com/
how are you going to find your way around?
print out maps in advance to take with you. study them.
http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/map/1/1/ (old map no solid bar)
duangthawee (soi twilight) has both gogo bars/shows and massage parlors-
might be a little expensive for drinks ~$8/beer ~$17 off fee ~$40 tip

don't forget after the massage fee you have to have money to tip the masseur.

Pattaya might be easier to find your way to the gay areas,
a little cheaper, has a beach, and more twink types if thats your type.
Hit boystown area and sunnee area- motocycle driver will know where they are

Be safe don't die

James Barnes
May 18th, 2011, 12:47
Dear luni- love that handle!

Check out http://www.out-in-thailand.com

You'll find back issues full of helpful info and maps & listings to plan your trip.

I am sure you'll have fun out in Thailand!

Best wishes,

James.

May 18th, 2011, 13:55
Maybe if you asked questions about specific places you'd get a response. You don't say where in Thailand you're going, so it's hard to offer suggestions. As mentioned above, do a quick search or come back with specific locations you're interested in.

sorry...I am new to this forum...apologies...(wow...i sound like a character in "spartacus" ;-) )...anyway...I was not specific about places because we haven't planned the details of our trip yet. For sure we are going to bangkok for 4 or 5 days and then hit the beaches...pattaya or phuket ...but we are pretty much at the beginning of our trip plans...so I was hoping to get some hints on must-do or mast-sees...with a gay twist if possible ;-)

trust me...I have read a lot of posts in this forum...:-) but they are too specific...like "what hotel should I pick in sukhumvit"...I don't really know if I should visit sukhumvit...by the way...should I? ;-)...or what is the real cost of a moneyboy...I don't even know what to expect from a masseur (nobody answered that part ;-( ).

again...I will keep on reading the forum...this is fun ;-)...thanks everybody for answering

kisses

May 18th, 2011, 14:05
with limited time to sneak away from the str8's in tow I would hit a go go bar and take my pick in a hurry.
no time to fuck around here. DJ Station/ G.O.D. club a must see

motorcycle driver better chance of taking you where you want to go
rather than taxi taking you where HE wants to take you.

thanks dab69...really useful information...thanks a lot...exactly what I was hoping for...but but what do you mean "motorcycle driver"? You are talking about tuktuks?

better selection in go go bars. what's your type?
maybe hit solid bar around silom- free part time room upstairs.
http://www.solidbangkok.com/

duangthawee (soi twilight) has both gogo bars/shows and massage parlors-
might be a little expensive for drinks ~$8/beer ~$17 off fee ~$40 tip

don't forget after the massage fee you have to have money to tip the masseur.

wow...that is more expensive than I had expected...40 bucks for a "massage" plus 17 bucks...well for my "first time" I can't be cheap can I? ;-)
I have checked Guys on display...exactly the type of guys I like ;-) ...muscolar and hot ;-)...I am not into young guys...I prefer 30-something (wow...I sound like an expert ;-) )

Pattaya might be easier to find your way to the gay areas,
a little cheaper, has a beach, and more twink types if thats your type.
Hit boystown area and sunnee area- motocycle driver will know where they are

Be safe don't die

Great...thanks again...very useful information....:-)

by the way..."be safe don't die" ...are you referring to safe sex?...or hinting that thailand is not safe for turists...if you are talking about safe sex...sure...I am definitely going to use condoms.. :-)

kisses

chillnorth
May 18th, 2011, 14:18
Finding sex won't be a problem. Spending 15 days with straight friends who will likely be busy finding theirs might be a little trying. Have a great time, but don't forget your meds.

May 18th, 2011, 14:22
For your first time, I suggest go to Babylon Sauna and just have a cruise around for a while, maybe go into dark area and get touched up a bit, have a sauna and get comfortable around other gay men, have a coffee or a beer, and even chat to people (not in the cruise area).

If you see a guy you like, or vice versa motion him into a cubicle, tell him its your first time with a guy and enjoy.

My opinion is if going to a neutral place where you can leave when you like, on your own terms (not feeling guilty about taking a boy back to your room and then getting second thoughts or feeling embarrassed). I think this will ease you into the gay world, and if you meet someone there you want to see again you can always ask for their number. You could always go to a regular bar like Balcony or Telephone and see if you can pick up a guy, there are usually plenty hanging around, buy them some drinks and see how you go.

The more comfortable you get with being around gay guys and your own sexuality, the easier it will be for you. Once you get that right fucking go for it !!!! lol

BTW: If you are married (not that I or anyone else will care) just be careful and use protection, you can get things like chlamydia pretty easy, its no big deal, 2 anit-biotics and its gone, but if you give it to your missus.... that's a whole different story lol.

I have attached a little map and some details I got off the net for the silom area, I have some more if you want them, message me.

Simon

May 18th, 2011, 14:26
These questions are asked nearly every week.
If you use the search function you can see the other questions relating to yours.

I suggest if you "work out" in the gym you could get free sex in Bangkok apparently but I doubt too much success in Pattaya.

trust me...I work out...and if that is all it takes to get laid in bangkok...I will work out with more stamina now :-) ...but anyway...given mu luck of experience (did I mention I am still a virgin?...I guess that also is a recurring subject in your forum ;-) ) I am more than willing to pay for sex with the right guy...as long as I don't get ripped off and it is something nice...at least for my first time...

thanks

bye

May 18th, 2011, 14:31
Finding sex won't be a problem. Spending 15 days with straight friends who will likely be busy finding theirs might be a little trying. Have a great time, but don't forget your meds.

Thanks...but my friends are married couples...they won't be looking for sex...just real massages, sightseeing and beaches...:-)

why should I remember my meds? anything I should know?

thanks

May 18th, 2011, 14:39
For your first time, I suggest go to Babylon Sauna and just have a cruise around for a while, maybe go into dark area and get touched up a bit, have a sauna and get comfortable around other gay men, have a coffee or a beer, and even chat to people (not in the cruise area).

If you see a guy you like, or vice versa motion him into a cubicle, tell him its your first time with a guy and enjoy.

My opinion is if going to a neutral place where you can leave when you like, on your own terms (not feeling guilty about taking a boy back to your room and then getting second thoughts or feeling embarrassed). I think this will ease you into the gay world, and if you meet someone there you want to see again you can always ask for their number. You could always go to a regular bar like Balcony or Telephone and see if you can pick up a guy, there are usually plenty hanging around, buy them some drinks and see how you go.

Thanks Simon,
I think I'll do it.

The more comfortable you get with being around gay guys and your own sexuality, the easier it will be for you. Once you get that right fucking go for it !!!! lol

BTW: If you are married (not that I or anyone else will care) just be careful and use protection, you can get things like chlamydia pretty easy, its no big deal, 2 anit-biotics and its gone, but if you give it to your missus.... that's a whole different story lol.

I have attached a little map and some details I got off the net for the silom area, I have some more if you want them, message me.

Simon

Thanks...I plan on using protection...not that I am married...(I am 100% gay ;-) ...and even if I am in the closet to most people in my country I don't want to use another person to cover up for me ;-) ...and when a str8 woman hit on me I immediately come out to her)

Your map is really great...if you have more email them to me (should I give you may email?...I do not know the rules of this forum on that and I do not want to piss more persons ;-) )

thanks again dude, and I you have any more suggestions...suggest you should ;-)

kisses

May 18th, 2011, 14:52
Dear luni- love that handle!

Check out http://www.out-in-thailand.com

You'll find back issues full of helpful info and maps & listings to plan your trip.

I am sure you'll have fun out in Thailand!

Best wishes,

James.

Thanks James,
great site...really :-)

thanks a lot

kisses

Rene
May 18th, 2011, 15:26

thanks

You should remember your meds because you are a nutcase, or, which is even more likely, a troll.

May 18th, 2011, 15:32
You should remember your meds because you are a nutcase, or, which is even more likely, a troll.

Then perhaps he should arrange to meet up with SGT's resident funny man (Troll) Thonglor55

May 18th, 2011, 15:33

thanks

don't need to be offensive dude...what is your problem?! if you don't like what I write simply go read something else. As forrest gump would write "troll is who troll does"...and the only think offensive in this post is your message. Have a nice day now and try to focus your anger toward something constructive for a change

Rene
May 18th, 2011, 16:27
Whose angry luni? I see the truth hurts, but there we are. At least you picked a good name for yourself. Troll away fruitcake! I'm putting you on "ignore". Kissy Kissy yourself!

May 18th, 2011, 19:30
ok...my apologies to anybody that thinks that I am just a troll.

My personal history seems to amuse some of you...happy to be of any help in cheering up those people's lives.

On the other hand thanks to all the have replied with useful information and suggestions. I will try to ask all the questions that I have some place else.

This is still a great forum...and I will continue reading it :-)

a great day to everyone

kisses

lu

ps: luni are the initials of my first and last name...for those who are wondering

May 23rd, 2011, 21:43
for those newbies like me who have a lot of unanswered questions about thailand, massages, gogobars etc there is a great blog

http://shamelessmack.wordpress.com

I have found a lot of answers there...especially on what I really should expect from a massage ;-)

joe552
May 24th, 2011, 01:56
You have a great time, and come back and tell us a few of the sordid details

cameroncat
May 24th, 2011, 08:36
It really depends on you. If you don't mind paying for sex with someone that has no interest in you other than your wallet, you can hit the GoGo bars and Massage places. If you'd rather have sex with someone that is actually attracted to you, I recommend The Babylon Sauna (Beautiful place, and a hell lot less expensive than a massage parlor or GoGo bar) or the clubs. You said you prefer guys 30+. You will find many of them on Gayromeo.com. Make a profile before you go and log in often while there. Avoid making eye contact with "street hustlers", if you do, they will be all over you like fly's on honey. They can smell a newbie a mile away!

Beachlover
May 24th, 2011, 20:54
If you don't mind paying for sex with someone that has no interest in you other than your wallet, you can hit the GoGo bars and Massage places.
Well said...

If you'd rather have sex with someone that is actually attracted to you, I recommend The Babylon Sauna (Beautiful place, and a hell lot less expensive than a massage parlor or GoGo bar) or the clubs...
I agree... There's plenty of info on the nightclubs here: gay-thailand-f9/where-meet-local-guys-bkk-t20764.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/where-meet-local-guys-bkk-t20764.html)

Maybe someone should start a thread on, which saunas are popular for different types.

lonelywombat
May 25th, 2011, 06:15
If you don't mind paying for sex with someone that has no interest in you other than your wallet, !

Sounds like married life.

May 25th, 2011, 13:28
If you don't mind paying for sex with someone that has no interest in you other than your wallet, !

Sounds like married life.

:-) that's a good one lol

May 28th, 2011, 23:53
You said you prefer guys 30+. You will find many of them on Gayromeo.com. Make a profile before you go and log in often while there. Avoid making eye contact with "street hustlers", if you do, they will be all over you like fly's on honey. They can smell a newbie a mile away!

Thanks. I have created a profile on GR and have contacted a lot of guys (some very hot indeed). Unfortunately many are just moneyboy and they ask for more than what a gogoboy or a masseur ask for tip (according to the posts I have read)

Lots of them seem to just to "be in love with me" after a 10-minute chat. Many of them seem to say just the things I want to hear....and if I offer to show myself on cam (I did not post a picture of myself) they are not even interested...I can be apolling for that matter...they are just interested in my brain?!...;-)

I have chatted with people that live 400km from BKK and they are willing to meet me there in BKK after chatting for 10 minutes?!?!...something is weird I guess. How is that possible? Either these guys are moneyboys or I am so charming I can't understand why I am still single ;-) ....I have tried to ask some of they if they were looking for money, and they have reacted as if I just made the worst offence ever....some just said yes and asked for money...when I explained I was not in bkk yet, they told me to send the money anyway....

I have been reading the posts about the turistin in pattaya who has been druged and robbed from a guy from gayromeo...and now I am really worried.

I am wondering: is it really worth contacting guys on GR when at the end it is possible I have to pay anyway and I don't have the security that can be offered from a papasan who knows the guy I off and can guarantee for him?

I was so excited about my trip...but now I am getting a bit worried...

gaymandenmark
May 29th, 2011, 03:19
You said you prefer guys 30+. You will find many of them on Gayromeo.com. Make a profile before you go and log in often while there. Avoid making eye contact with "street hustlers", if you do, they will be all over you like fly's on honey. They can smell a newbie a mile away!

Thanks. I have created a profile on GR and have contacted a lot of guys (some very hot indeed). Unfortunately many are just moneyboy and they ask for more than what a gogoboy or a masseur ask for tip (according to the posts I have read)

Lots of them seem to just to "be in love with me" after a 10-minute chat. Many of them seem to say just the things I want to hear....and if I offer to show myself on cam 1. I did not post a picture of myself they are not even interested...I can be apolling for that matter...they are just interested in my brain?!...;-)

I have chatted with people that live 400km from BKK and they are willing to meet me there in BKK after chatting for 10 minutes?!?!...something is weird I guess. How is that possible? Either these guys are moneyboys or I am so charming I can't understand why I am still single ;-) ....I have tried to ask some of they if they were looking for money, 2.and they have reacted as if I just made the worst offence ever ....some just said yes and asked for money 3. ...when I explained I was not in bkk yet, they told me to send the money anyway....I have been reading the posts about the turistin in pattaya who has been druged and robbed from a guy from gayromeo...and now I am really worried.

I am wondering: is it really worth contacting guys on GR when at the end it is possible I have to pay anyway and I don't have the security that can be offered from a papasan who knows the guy I off and can guarantee for him?

I was so excited about my trip 4 .....but now I am get worried...

1. You should offcource have you pic on your GR profile, do you want to be contacted or to contact anyone without a picture?
2. Yes many are not moneyboys on GR and they will indeed be offended, if you ask them if they are looking for money, even if they are :thebirdman: BTW I have never been asked for money on GR, even if it was in the air that some gift would change hands.
3. I have tried only onetime that a crazy guy on GR asked me to send money.
4. Why be worried, if you meet the guy in a public place outside your room, you have nothing to worry about.

May 29th, 2011, 06:46
Don't worry Luni

There are some deadset fucking stains on the face of humaninty on this site that have nothing better to do in their petty boring lives than to pay for sex and snipe and people using the cover and anonimity of the internet.

Just ignore them, literally

May 29th, 2011, 16:51
Guys I am a bit confused: now we are judging people that are willing to pay for sex?! I don't care if I am asked for money after sex...as long as it is between Consent adults...but I don't like hypocricy: what is the difference between paying for sex or buying a "present" to the guy you have sex with? If the present was part of the "deal" isn't that prostitution all the same?

May 30th, 2011, 14:23
Guys I am a bit confused: now we are judging people that are willing to pay for sex?! I don't care if I am asked for money after sex...as long as it is between Consent adults...but I don't like hypocricy: what is the difference between paying for sex or buying a "present" to the guy you have sex with? If the present was part of the "deal" isn't that prostitution all the same?

NO we are not judging people who pay for sex, we as in 'I' are criticizing some of the miserable pricks who get on here and want to spoil it for everyone else.

chillnorth
May 31st, 2011, 21:09
I was so excited about my trip...but now I am getting a bit worried..

Only a little offense intended, but if you're as remotely real as you describe yourself, you do not want to be working the sex scene in Thailand without a net or a spotter. Change your currency to baht at the airport, don't overtip the taxi, and find a respectable bordello where you will end up with a business card and the Mama-san's number in case you get worried by something else. Then get on with the magic in whatever way. People who know how to score can do very well with GayRomeo, but for other's it's a source for moneyboys or just whacking material.

Experienced visitors generally will not recommend any of the "Bangkok by Night" tours offered by GAY groups, but that is exactly what you need. Check Dreaded Ned or Utopia or such sites.... they're losing some steam and I don't know what's current but the basic information is useful. In your case, an exception is appropriate. Spend a few bucks more, tell your traveling straight companions you're doing a night tour of Bangkok and that it will end after their bed times, and welcome to another world. If you haven't gotten laid by the end of the night ask your tour guide to spend the night or to find you a friend. Period.

If you need something new to worry about, you can always ponder the sad fate of my intelligent and kind-hearted near-neighbor who had his throat cut and was robbed by boys he knew and apparently cared about over some dirty dishes though he was very experienced in the scene. That story has been told elsewhere and no follow up is needed. But if you move outside the perimeter of the lights over some misplaced Calvinist need not to pay for it, caveat emptor. The great majority walk away from such thrills easily and in good health, but for some..... if that scares you stop wanking and find someplace with a much more controlled, er, outcome. Amsterdam, perhaps.

As an admitted novice, maybe you can try Not paying for it your third or fourth pass through.... in the meantime, stick with the regulated adventures where the worst you'll get is a dose of clap or a cock that seemed perfectly able to get an erection in the bar, or a memorable story about a beloved buffalo or something along those lines. You might have to adjust your fantasies to include a boy talking with his girlfriend while you try to climb the stairway to Heaven, step by step. Life in Thailand can be great and fun, luni, if you're real, but somewhere between immigration and that first condom you have to cut things a little slack. if you have the baht.]

I love living in Thailand, though with time I don't get up to half the excitement of a newcomer. Or make half the mistakes.

Beachlover
June 7th, 2011, 20:39
There are some deadset fucking stains on the face of humaninty on this site that have nothing better to do in their petty boring lives than to pay for sex and snipe and people using the cover and anonimity of the internet.

Just ignore them, literally
Excellent advice! Love the description. :hello1:

June 7th, 2011, 20:55
.. I don't like hypocricy: what is the difference between paying for sex or buying a "present" to the guy you have sex with? If the present was part of the "deal" isn't that prostitution all the same?

Luni, you need to get into the SGT mindset.

When you buy the boy a present like an iphone, an ipad, a gold necklace, or give him a secondary credit card on your account, he is not a prostitute - he is your "boyfriend" or "boy-special".:rolling:

What's more - all his other punters will confirm it.

:occasion9:

thonglor55
June 8th, 2011, 09:31
When you buy the boy a present like an iphone, an ipad, a gold necklace, or give him a secondary credit card on your account, he is not a prostitute - he is your "boyfriend" or "boy-special".It conforms to the irregular noun/verb combination:

My boyfriend is an entertainer
Your boyfriend works in a go-go bar
His boyfriend is a prostitute

netrix
June 8th, 2011, 17:48
1. You should offcource have you pic on your GR profile, do you want to be contacted or to contact anyone without a picture?
2. Yes many are not moneyboys on GR and they will indeed be offended, if you ask them if they are looking for money, even if they are :thebirdman: BTW I have never been asked for money on GR, even if it was in the air that some gift would change hands.
4. Why be worried, if you meet the guy in a public place outside your room, you have nothing to worry about.

1. Yep, duh! Post your pics.
2. I've met so many guys on GR I can't possibly count them all and I've only been asked for money once. Why would you bring it up? stupid.
4. He's not worried, he's stirring up shit. It's what trolls do. 40 yr old virgin, never been to thailand, knows nothing about the scene but knows about this forum(?!)

June 8th, 2011, 20:09
I was so excited about my trip...but now I am getting a bit worried..

As an admitted novice, maybe you can try Not paying for it your third or fourth pass through.... in the meantime, stick with the regulated adventures where the worst you'll get is a dose of clap or a cock that seemed perfectly able to get an erection in the bar, or a memorable story about a beloved buffalo or something along those lines. You might have to adjust your fantasies to include a boy talking with his girlfriend while you try to climb the stairway to Heaven, step by step. Life in Thailand can be great and fun, luni, if you're real, but somewhere between immigration and that first condom you have to cut things a little slack. if you have the baht.]

I love living in Thailand, though with time I don't get up to half the excitement of a newcomer. Or make half the mistakes.

Thanks for all the suggestions...altough you have me even more scared than before. I will stick to massage parlors and gogo bars I guess. Thanks again.

wrt the fact wether I am real or not...I am...but of course you only have my word for it and somehow if figure it is not enough. I am not from LA. I have been to LA and lived in USA for a short time but I guess you can tell from my english that I am not a native speaker either. Anyway I will be in bkk at the end of August and more than willing to buy you a drink if you are there.

thanks again

June 8th, 2011, 20:17

1. Yep, duh! Post your pics.
2. I've met so many guys on GR I can't possibly count them all and I've only been asked for money once. Why would you bring it up? stupid.
4. He's not worried, he's stirring up shit. It's what trolls do. 40 yr old virgin, never been to thailand, knows nothing about the scene but knows about this forum(?!)

Genius try to google gay thailand...you get this forum in the list. I am not a troll but I guess you will not believe me and, guess what?!, I don't give a darn about it. What is the use of this forum if you start believing that everybody that does not fit into your narrow-minded scheme is a troll? grow up honey.

June 8th, 2011, 20:18
When you buy the boy a present like an iphone, an ipad, a gold necklace, or give him a secondary credit card on your account, he is not a prostitute - he is your "boyfriend" or "boy-special".It conforms to the irregular noun/verb combination:

My boyfriend is an entertainer
Your boyfriend works in a go-go bar
His boyfriend is a prostitute

My boyfriend wasn't a go go boy, he was the .....cashier!!................yeah right,.............. :laughing3:

Next bar I open, I'll call it Cashiers only bar! then they won't have to tell porkies.

jinks
June 8th, 2011, 20:32
Many years ago in Phuket I used to off a cashier.

Great boy but I had to wait for the bar to close before he could join me.

June 15th, 2011, 17:01

sorry...I am new to this forum...apologies...(wow...i sound like a character in "spartacus" ;-) )...anyway...I was not specific about places because we haven't planned the details of our trip yet. For sure we are going to bangkok for 4 or 5 days and then hit the beaches...pattaya or phuket ...but we are pretty much at the beginning of our trip plans...so I was hoping to get some hints on must-do or mast-sees...with a gay twist if possible ;-)

trust me...I have read a lot of posts in this forum...:-) but they are too specific...like "what hotel should I pick in sukhumvit"...I don't really know if I should visit sukhumvit...by the way...should I? ;-)...or what is the real cost of a moneyboy...I don't even know what to expect from a masseur (nobody answered that part ;-( ).

again...I will keep on reading the forum...this is fun ;-)...thanks everybody for answering

kisses

Definatety go to Phuket....very relaxed and friendly gay scene in Phuket (Paradise Area in Patong Beach). Personally I think Pattaya is a not a great place at all....if you want to go to that part then may I suggest Jomtien....far enough away from the sleeze of Pattaya and much more relaxed....great gay beach area there as well.

June 16th, 2011, 16:22
Definatety go to Phuket....very relaxed and friendly gay scene in Phuket (Paradise Area in Patong Beach). Personally I think Pattaya is a not a great place at all....if you want to go to that part then may I suggest Jomtien....far enough away from the sleeze of Pattaya and much more relaxed....great gay beach area there as well.

Thanks, I will check it out. I think I (we) are going to phuket, but I'd rather stay on the mainland...I am not much of a beachboy and I'd rather stay on a place where, if I want, I can do the touristy stuff like visiting wat etc. You are not the first I heard that does not like Pattaya, so I (we) will definitely cancel that out from the trip plan and check Jomtien. Thanks again for your suggestions

kisses

anonone
June 16th, 2011, 16:38

Thanks, I will check it out. I think I (we) are going to phuket, but I'd rather stay on the mainland...I am not much of a beachboy and I'd rather stay on a place where, if I want, I can do the touristy stuff like visiting wat etc. You are not the first I heard that does not like Pattaya, so I (we) will definitely cancel that out from the trip plan and check Jomtien. Thanks again for your suggestions

kisses

In my mind, Pattaya / Jomtien are really the same destination. The distance between the main "gay" areas of Pattaya and the gay area of Jomtien is 5/10 minutes by Song Teauw (Baht Bus). I typically travel back and forth during my visits.

Some really have a bad image of Pattaya. I find it very laid back and a great place to visit. I would encourage you to check both out and make your own impression.

francois
June 16th, 2011, 23:47
. You are not the first I heard that does not like Pattaya, so I (we) will definitely cancel that out from the trip plan and check Jomtien. Thanks again for your suggestions
kisses

If you do not go to Pattaya you may as well stay home.

June 17th, 2011, 00:05

I've heard them all now.... :occasion9:

Beachlover
June 17th, 2011, 00:09
Jomtien is either part of Pattaya or right next to it. Same thing. It's just like going from one suburb to the next.

Are you serious? Do you mean Pattaya is the one and only reason to visit Thailand or are you referring to just visiting Jomtien and not Pattaya?

Pattaya is basically a seaside town for cheaper prostitutes and sex bars. Shitsville by the sea. Very sleazy. Bit of a nut town. Lots of dysfunctional farangs. Pretty ugly place. But since it's a sex tourist bubble, you can do almost anything and no one will bat and eyelid.

It's also the cheapest beachside destination. Living costs are substantially lower than all the other developed beach resorts like Phuket, Samui and Hua Hin.

By all means visit Pattaya, but I'd visit the rest of Thailand before visiting Pattaya. Bangkok is way better for things to see and do and has much nicer people around. Phuket and other beach destinations have much nicer beaches and natural scenery.

lexusgs
June 17th, 2011, 02:04
Jomtien is either part of Pattaya or right next to it. Same thing. It's just like going from one suburb to the next.

Are you serious? Do you mean Pattaya is the one and only reason to visit Thailand or are you referring to just visiting Jomtien and not Pattaya?

Pattaya is basically a seaside town for cheaper prostitutes and sex bars. Shitsville by the sea. Very sleazy. Bit of a nut town. Lots of dysfunctional farangs. Pretty ugly place. But since it's a sex tourist bubble, you can do almost anything and no one will bat and eyelid.

It's also the cheapest beachside destination. Living costs are substantially lower than all the other developed beach resorts like Phuket, Samui and Hua Hin.

By all means visit Pattaya, but I'd visit the rest of Thailand before visiting Pattaya. Bangkok is way better for things to see and do and has much nicer people around. Phuket and other beach destinations have much nicer beaches and natural scenery.

Same old, Same old.

The majority of posters disagree with you Beachy. We don't need your opinion rammed down our throats day in, day out. What gives with your obsession with Pattaya on the forum?? Go on man I'm really interested why you're so interested in how other people live their lives. I don't see that many posters taking the piss out of you living your fantasy on the board. Be fair now and tone it down. :hello1:

francois
June 17th, 2011, 04:05

If someone is going to Thailand and Bangkok, then for sure go to Pattaya/Jomtien and check the scene. Pattaya is a short distance from Bangkok and not to be missed; love it or hate it but experience it and decide for yourself.

June 17th, 2011, 04:38
The 'majority' of posters disagree with you Beachy.
'We' don't need your opinion rammed down our throats day in, day out.
What gives with your 'obsession' with Pattaya on the forum??

'Majority' being a newbe poster other than trying to stir the shit how do you come up with that figure?

'We' are you now the voice of SGT?

'Obsession' if anyone has an obsession it's you with your continuous snide remarks about Beachlover's and other posters comments!

dab69
June 17th, 2011, 04:54
Same old, Same old.

The majority of posters disagree with you Beachy. We don't need your opinion rammed down our throats day in, day out. What gives with your obsession with Pattaya on the forum?? Go on man I'm really interested why you're so interested in how other people live their lives. I don't see that many posters taking the piss out of you living your fantasy on the board. Be fair now and tone it down. :hello1:

+1,000,000

Thought I had heard that Phuket was a big boring rip off.
Add that to people types like BL going there and
thats one huge one in Pattaya's favor.
-

Dboy
June 17th, 2011, 06:45

In other words, it's pretty much perfect.

June 17th, 2011, 08:10
Hi,

I think to be fair, Pattaya is what it is what it is.

It should be accepted that it is basically for the English guys, ' Blackpool with no knickers on! ' It isn't the cultural capital of Asia and none of us went there for that.

You go there for loud discos, all night partying and cheap available sex. end of.

If you want romantic islands go to them, it isn't in Pattaya. I liked it for what it was.

francois
June 17th, 2011, 08:55
[quote="kquill"]Hi,
It should be accepted that it is basically for the English guys, ' Blackpool with no knickers on! '

Really, just for English guys; say it ain't so KQ!

June 17th, 2011, 10:20
Hi,
It should be accepted that it is basically for the English guys, ' Blackpool with no knickers on! '

Really, just for English guys; say it ain't so KQ!

NO,

Not at all only for English. What I meant was it is the English equivalent of ' Blackpool with no knickers on ' It's open for all to get down and dirty!!! as we well know................ hehehehe!

Beachlover
June 17th, 2011, 12:50
I think to be fair, Pattaya is what it is what it is.

... It isn't the cultural capital of Asia and none of us went there for that.

You go there for loud discos, all night partying and cheap available sex. end of.

If you want romantic islands go to them, it isn't in Pattaya. I liked it for what it was.
That's a realistic view of Pattaya. I totally agree. Call it as it is! :hello1:

If someone is going to Thailand and Bangkok, then for sure go to Pattaya/Jomtien and check the scene. Pattaya is a short distance from Bangkok and not to be missed; love it or hate it but experience it and decide for yourself.
Sure, I agree. By all means check it out. But that's not what you said before. You said "you may as well stay home" if not visiting Pattaya, which is plain narrow minded. Pattaya's lead benefits are cheap prostitutes and cheap cost of living. Everything else can be found elsewhere in Thailand, nicer.

thonglor55
June 17th, 2011, 14:09
You go there for loud discos, all night partying and cheap available sex. end of.You forgot to mention the spectacularly ugly money boys - Bangkok rejects, one and all.

June 17th, 2011, 14:20
Thanks guys...but I have not much time (only 2 weeks). I will try to convince my friends to pay a short visit to Jomtien...I have checked it on the internet and it looks pretty nice to me. They definitely want to spend some time sunbathing (at least a week I think) so there is not much time left for Bangkok and the surrounding areas. I am afraid I will have to make do with Phuket :-)

thanks again...for all the useful suggestions...and for not bitching at each other :-)

kisses

thonglor55
June 17th, 2011, 14:54
They definitely want to spend some time sunbathing (at least a week I think) ...You do know that August is during the monsoon season, don't you?

June 17th, 2011, 15:35
They definitely want to spend some time sunbathing (at least a week I think) ...You do know that August is during the monsoon season, don't you?

Maybe Luni's friends are Scottish.

Sunbathing in torrential rain is something we are used to.

In fact, we don't even need the sun - a break in the snow is sufficient reason to get the deckchairs out.

:occasion9:

June 17th, 2011, 16:12
:-) of course I know it is monsoon season, but according to what I have read rain showers are brief and after them you can dry off in the sun :-)...at least according to what I have read from other traveller on the internet...am I right?

June 17th, 2011, 16:19
:-) of course I know it is monsoon season, but according to what I have read rain showers are brief and after them you can dry off in the sun :-)...at least according to what I have read from other traveller on the internet...am I right?

Yes.

Patexpat
June 17th, 2011, 16:40

no. all rain and grey skies at the moment

June 17th, 2011, 16:47
You do know that August is during the monsoon season, don't you?

And it's August right now is it?

:rolling:

Patexpat
June 17th, 2011, 19:07
You do know that August is during the monsoon season, don't you?

And it's August right now is it?

:rolling:

It is in my own little cocoon :-)

Seriously, what is described is more like what you experience in Phuket - Rainy season here is pretty much like it is right now. Oh, that's cos it's the rainy season!

June 17th, 2011, 19:17
Phuket's rainy season or monsoon is slightly later that Pattaya's as it is further south. I always found it to be rather 'wet' a few months later in the year, not that it didn't get some heavy downpours.

francois
June 17th, 2011, 23:35
But that's not what you said before. You said "you may as well stay home" if not visiting Pattaya, which is plain narrow minded. Pattaya's lead benefits are cheap prostitutes and cheap cost of living. Everything else can be found elsewhere in Thailand, nicer.

True, if luni lets some namby-pamby posters scare him away from Pattaya he may as well stay home. The sex workers in Pattaya are not much cheaper then anywhere else but the scene is sure more vibrant compared to Phuket and Chaing Mai which are a waste if he in only in Thailand for a short time.

dab69
June 18th, 2011, 07:01
speaking of namby-pammy, how many boards has she
been kicked off of?

http://bangkokbois.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... atisfying/ (http://bangkokbois.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/because-quickies-can-be-quite-satisfying/)

before it gets edited out elsewhere

Beachlover
June 18th, 2011, 12:29
If you go to Phuket or some other beach destination, the beach is much nicer at the end of the year around Dec/Jan/Feb than it is during monsoon. Not because of the rain but because the wind, sun and water isn't as nice.

Sitting on Patong Beach in Dec-Feb is absolutely beautiful - it's peaceful, there's little wind, the sun's always shining brightly and the water is clear, calm and super warm.

But at other times of the year, it can be windy, cloudy, the water's cooler and rougher, there's strong rips and altogether not as nice. Still worth going to but not as nice, hence, cheaper accommodation rates.

If you're going to Bangkok or somewhere not beachy, then monsoon shouldn't bother you.

True, if luni lets some namby-pamby posters scare him away from Pattaya he may as well stay home. The sex workers in Pattaya are not much cheaper then anywhere else but the scene is sure more vibrant compared to Phuket and Chaing Mai which are a waste if he in only in Thailand for a short time.
Francois... if cheaper prostitutes, cheap cost of living and the "anything goes" atmosphere is what he wants, then nothing Kquill, Brad or I say about Pattaya is going to turn him off. People don't go to Phuket and Chiang Mai for the exact same reason they go to Pattaya.

Why can't people acknowledge each place has its downsides? Phuket is a tourist mafia rip-off trap with not so good service and shitty accommodation options. Hua Hin is pretty quiet and fairly expensive relative to other beach towns. Bangkok is a massive city where the air isn't so clean and traffic can be bad... Each has its charms.

June 18th, 2011, 20:53
Guys, thanks you again for all your insights on thailand.
Maybe I have given you the "wrong" impression: I am not going to thailand for the sex industry...well at least not just for the sex industry ;-).
I am going there on vacation with my friends. If I were going to thailand just for sex I would be going there on my own ;-). Of course I hope I can get some action on the side (according to what I read, if I cannot make it there...I cannot make it anywhere ;-) ) but the main reason of my trip is to visit thailand with my friends. I will not have much time on my own and therefore my intention was to pick your brains and figure out what to do both on the touristy point of view and on the "esotic" point of view ;-). If pattaya is just good for sex and cheap prostitutes I think we will not go there: I cannot ask my friends to come to pattaya because the play4pay scene there is cheaper. I was looking for places where there is a good compromise between the tourist-soul and the gay-scene...so far I think phuket is a good compromise :-)

If you have any more suggestions...I am all ears :-)

thanks again

kisses

francois
June 19th, 2011, 00:31
Luni, I think you will enjoy your visit to Thailand and also remain a 40 yo gay virgin!
Bonne chance!

francois
June 19th, 2011, 00:46
Francois... if cheaper prostitutes, cheap cost of living and the "anything goes" atmosphere is what he wants, then nothing Kquill, Brad or I say about Pattaya is going to turn him off. People don't go to Phuket and Chiang Mai for the exact same reason they go to Pattaya.
... Each has its charms.

You are right,Bl. In luni's first post he implied (or I assumed) he wanted to change his status from a 40 yo gay virgin, and Pattaya is the place for that. Now he clarified his intent.
For me, there the primary reason to visit Thailand (first time on short visit) is not to sit on a beach, eat Thai food, chat with friends, bird watch, go shopping or sightsee. Can anyone truthfully say they did not come to Thailand because of the gay sex scene?

Beachlover
June 19th, 2011, 02:49
so far I think phuket is a good compromise :-)
Bangkok and Phuket are probably your two best compromises. By all means, check out Pattaya for yourself if you have time. Enjoy!

You are right,Bl. In luni's first post he implied (or I assumed) he wanted to change his status from a 40 yo gay virgin, and Pattaya is the place for that. Now he clarified his intent. For me, there the primary reason to visit Thailand (first time on short visit) is not to sit on a beach, eat Thai food, chat with friends, bird watch, go shopping or sightsee.
Fair enough... To be fair, you can get laid just as easily in Bangkok or Phuket as you can in Pattaya. :happy7:

Can anyone truthfully say they did not come to Thailand because of the gay sex scene?
Yes, I can. Millions of other tourists can too.

I first heard about Phuket and how popular it was for Aussies when it was featured in a lot of news footage after the tsunami. So when I wanted a nice tropical beach holiday, I booked a cheap flight to Phuket! Nothing to do with the gay sex scene but I did read about it and thought it'd be interesting to check out. Next couple of trips were similar backpacking trips. Spent lots of time outdoors and went up North to Chiang Mai etc. Had fun meeting a few Thai boys on the way, mainly at DJ Station.

Since I've done most of the basic tourist stuff, I now come to Thailand to get away, party and have fun. It's a very gay friendly country. Thai boys are very friendly, welcoming, cute and charming. I love meeting and hanging out with them. The buzz of Bangkok and the beauty of other places in Thailand also attracts me.

thonglor55
June 19th, 2011, 03:59
Since I've done most of the basic tourist stuff, I now come to Thailand to get away, party and have fun. It's a very gay friendly country. Thai boys are very friendly, welcoming, cute and charming. I love meeting and hanging out with them.Right, so you're now a sex tourist like everyone else.

June 20th, 2011, 15:56
Luni, I think you will enjoy your visit to Thailand and also remain a 40 yo gay virgin!
Bonne chance!

I am afraid you are right...but, strange as it may sound, I am not going to thailand just for the sex, otherwise I would be going there on my own. If during my trip I happen to get some....great!!!! :-)

But if you say that the reason someone should go to thailand is because of the sex industry...well, according to what I am reading about thailand, it is like saying that you go to italy mainly to eat pizza or to england for fish and chips...that is just not true and narrowminded.

The original goal of this post (which I start to think was misspecified) was to pick your minds about what to do...something like:

"you must go to the royal palace and then get a massage from whatever, pick masseur number 3 he is the best" or
"if you happen to go to phuket just go to this B&B, the owner is gay and....etc etc"
"if you go to bangkok go to lumphini park and stay there until sundown, plenty of action there"
"don't stay on patpong...go here instead"

etc etc etc...something you can't find in any travel guide....a guide of thailand with a gay twist ;-) ...

kisses

francois
June 20th, 2011, 23:02
But if you say that the reason someone should go to thailand is because of the sex industry...well, according to what I am reading about thailand, it is like saying that you go to italy mainly to eat pizza or to england for fish and chips...that is just not true and narrowminded.
The original goal of this post (which I start to think was misspecified) was to pick your minds about what to do...something like:
kisses

I am saying if you go to Italy see the Colosseum; Paris the Louvre; Greece the Acropolis; Egypt the Pyramids and Thailand- Pattaya! Are your friends a bouquet of old ladies who don't want to see the sordid side of life and would not enjoy Sin City? Or are they straights which then I understand your reticence.
It is difficult to give specifics since posters do not know your tastes or desires. But, at least, treat yourself to the the bars and clubs in Patpong area Bangkok; just as sleazy as Pattaya.

June 21st, 2011, 19:40
I am saying if you go to Italy see the Colosseum; Paris the Louvre; Greece the Acropolis; Egypt the Pyramids and Thailand- Pattaya! Are your friends a bouquet of old ladies who don't want to see the sordid side of life and would not enjoy Sin City? Or are they straights which then I understand your reticence.
It is difficult to give specifics since posters do not know your tastes or desires. But, at least, treat yourself to the the bars and clubs in Patpong area Bangkok; just as sleazy as Pattaya.

They are str8, and they are not afraid of the sleazy side of Thailand, as long as it is not just it. If you go to Italy see the colosseum, if you go to bangkok see grand palace and don't forget to pay a visit to patpong :-) but stay away from lumphini park...that is the kind of suggestions I was looking for. My friends are not afraid of the slealzy part of bangkok...because there are plenty of other things to see there, but they will not go to pattaya just to see the sleazy side of thailand. :-)

I will definitely go to patpong..soi 2 and 4 right?...you see...I am learning :-)

kisses

Beachlover
June 21st, 2011, 23:03
I am saying if you go to Italy see the Colosseum; Paris the Louvre; Greece the Acropolis; Egypt the Pyramids and Thailand- Pattaya!
Is sex the ONLY thing of value you see in Thailand? Do you not realise millions of tourists come to Thailand each year for other reasons?

Pattaya's pretty insignificant in the greater scheme of things. Out of all my mates who've been to Thailand, none of them mention Pattaya. Only one guy I know has been and his comment was, "don't go there, mate. It's just a seedy place full of sexpats and sex tourists" (he explained what a sexpat was and that was the first time I heard it!).

francois
June 21st, 2011, 23:12
I am saying if you go to Italy see the Colosseum; Paris the Louvre; Greece the Acropolis; Egypt the Pyramids and Thailand- Pattaya!
Is sex the ONLY thing of value you see in Thailand? Do you not realise millions of tourists come to Thailand each year for other reasons?

BL, Millions of tourists do go to Thailand but are they gay men looking for sex with younger guys? Gay men, initially go for sex although I know one man who goes for bird watching. :dontknow:

Absolument! Sex is the main thing of value to me in Thailand. If not for the gay scene I would not go there. I have my bf there but in addition I enjoy the company of many expat and frequent flyer friends.

Beachlover
June 21st, 2011, 23:27
Well, there you have it then... That's why Pattaya is the centre of Thailand for you.

francois
June 22nd, 2011, 02:32
Well, there you have it then... That's why Pattaya is the centre of Thailand for you.

Yes BL, sex is the reason for Pattaya being the center of Thailand and the World. Now tell us why you send so much of your time in Thailand? You do visit Thailand frequently, do you not? You seem to have a vast knowledge of the "coleur locale" especially the venues and denizens of Pattaya. For sure Luni will benefit from your knowledge. :notworthy:

Brisboy82
June 22nd, 2011, 03:09
I don't visit Thailand for sex I visit for the culture and for use as a hub to explore other parts of Asia. Like anybody I am curious about the gay scene wherever I go and get horny from time to time so I do check out the scene
In Thailand but it is not why I go there. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean everything has to be about sex.

Beachlover
June 22nd, 2011, 22:38
sex is the reason for Pattaya being the center of Thailand and the World. Now tell us why you send so much of your time in Thailand?
It's not sex. It's "commercial sex". The thing is, commercial sex scene isn't the centre of everything for every visitor to Thailand (including Luni, who asked). For you to say "if you don't visit Pattaya you may as well not visit Thailand" assumes it is.

I enjoy the gay scene in Thailand as I do in any of the other Asian country I visit. The commercial sex scene is there and it does dominate but doesn't interest me much. I enjoy the gay scene slightly more than I do in most other countries because Thai boys are naturally charming in character and good looking. They are also very friendly and welcoming to strangers so it's easy to strike up a conversation and make friends.

Otherwise, the beaches, the natural beauty, great amenities and services, value for money and the buzz is what brings me to Thailand more often than say, Malaysia.

I don't visit Thailand for sex I visit for the culture and for use as a hub to explore other parts of Asia. Like anybody I am curious about the gay scene wherever I go and get horny from time to time so I do check out the scene
Totally agree...

gaymandenmark
June 22nd, 2011, 23:24
Pattaya is of course not the center of Thailand or the World.

I visit Thailand very often, and sex is only one part of the reasons.

I like the friendly people and for sure the friendly and handsome boys, commercial or not commercial, I like the gay scene in BKK and Chiang Mai, I like to meet old thai friends and ex-bf's, I like the sea, I like the freestyle on some of the islands, I like the mountains, I like the food, I like the music, I like the fun, jokes, laughs, and smiles, I like this special eyes of the guys and my ex-bf, I like to experience new areas of Thailand (and neighboring contries), I like to experience new venues, I like shopping. I like feeling happy and relaxed.

In fact when I land in the airport, taking the taxi into Bangkok, I feel like I have come home to my second homecountry, and that is not because of Pattaya, I would say despite Pattaya.

June 24th, 2011, 05:11
In Thailand but it is not why I go there. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean everything has to be about sex.

Culture??

What culture??? Most of what they have, they have bullied, coaxed,imported, copied or stolen from Cambodia and Laos.

Culture? You go to Italy, Greece, Egypt, UK even for culture, we've been here before. You can go to France and Switzerland for mountains etc.

Beaches....Europe and Australia has gorgeous well kept clean beaches.

USA and Canada for some of the best ski resorts.

Scenery, what about Scandanavia.

You go to Thailand, even with its glass beaded temples, broken pavements, concrete monstrosities and rip off smelly markets to get your end away and don't kid yourself it's anything else.

June 24th, 2011, 13:48

Culture??

What culture??? Most of what they have, they have bullied, coaxed,imported, copied or stolen from Cambodia and Laos.

Culture? You go to Italy, Greece, Egypt, UK even for culture, we've been here before. You can go to France and Switzerland for mountains etc.

You go to Thailand, even with its glass beaded temples, broken pavements, concrete monstrosities and rip off smelly markets to get your end away and don't kid yourself it's anything else.

Oh boy!....I've never heard anything more narrow-minded than this. I come from europe and have travelled a lot. I've never been to anyplace for sex. I like to meet new people, new way of thinking and of living. As a matter of fact I manage to like almost everyplace I visit because it has something different from what I already know. Culture is not just architecture or archeological sites (and, by the way, there is plenty of both in thailand), but is also people, way of thinking, living, relating to each other, food, religion etc etc. If you were right then US and Canada would be just a great huge sky resort and greece just ancient greek ruins....I am reading a lot about thailand, and the more I read the more I learn, the more I understand that they are different from me...and this I like.

Lighten up dude...it is people like you that turn thailand into a big brothel.

you just described istanbul...and many other great places in the world for that matter.

bye

June 24th, 2011, 17:27
luni by name....................................

Next you'll have joined the ranks of what a wonderful government they have anf how welcoming they are to gays etc etc.

or next you'll be joining the ranks of those who go and study the language as it is a cheap wany of passing the time and saying how wonderful it all is, and how innocent they are and while you're there, let's set another charity up to help these poor unfortunates.

Get in the real world............dude!

Brad the Impala
June 25th, 2011, 03:04
Culture??

Oh right, and the man who has to ask which gay hotels to stay in in Laos, and has never been to Cambodia(but he has read a book) is now an expert on the cultural history of those countries!

June 25th, 2011, 04:11
I've never been to anyplace for sex.
You prefer escorts?

June 25th, 2011, 04:43
Culture??

Oh right, and the man who has to ask which gay hotels to stay in in Laos, and has never been to Cambodia(but he has read a book) is now an expert on the cultural history of those countries!

Not a book, plenty of books on the history of Asia, from the Chinese dynasties right through Siamese history and Khymer history, so what you on about, Brad? even about the constant to and fro wars with Burma, so what the bloody hell has a lack of knowledge of gay hotels in Laos, got to do with knowledge of a culture?? A nonsensical comparison.

Really, what's that got to do with it???, what you do, live and see when you are in the country 16 bloody years counts for something, does it not?............. and these encounters play a vital part and help you form opinions, do they not??

You see hypocrisy on a massive scale when they are always saying they are devout buddhists, (which they constantly chop an change) and to some extent, muslim.

You're just jumping in to have an argument.

Even the middle eastern muslims look down on them with disdain at their bastardized versions of Islam.

thonglor55
June 25th, 2011, 10:06
Having lived here for 20 years myself, I have to agree with Mr Quill. I'm here for the sex. I'm a lifelong sceptic so Thai (and Asian) cultural values have no attraction for me, although out of desire for a quiet life I conform, but every day brings its own sources of amusement although they are very much variations on a theme nowadays. My interest in Thai society is akin to that of an anthropologist or - for those posters like simonAU who struggle with long words - it's like living in a reality TV show.

netrix
June 25th, 2011, 16:57
I've never been to anyplace for sex.
You prefer escorts?

duh, he's never HAD sex. remember? :sign5:

Brad the Impala
June 25th, 2011, 23:35
Culture??

Really, what's that got to do with it???, what you do, live and see when you are in the country 16 bloody years counts for something, does it not?............. and these encounters play a vital part and help you form opinions, do they not??

You're just jumping in to have an argument.

Even the middle eastern muslims look down on them with disdain at their bastardized versions of Islam.

I am just "jumping in" to defend a country that I love from the comment that it has no culture of it's own! The fact that you lived there for 16 years, and would probably still be there if you hadn't been arrested and deported, suggests that you must have found something worthwhile other than sex.

I think that your unfortunate experience has unreasonably and irrationally distorted your views of Thailand and it's inhabitants and culture, and that your comments about the country seem to be becoming more bitter by the day.

stevehadders
June 26th, 2011, 03:24
Unfortunately, whilst I love both Cambodia and laos, their record in terms of justice, and human rights makes the Thai system seem like Sunday School...corruption is rife, probably more than Thailand - and you only have to read accounts of Laos justice and prisons that make Thai prisons (which we all know are v tough places) look humane. Thais do have much more freedom than their neighbours, and have greater democracy - yes we can not compare to the West, but it isnt the West! And democracy has not been in their dna for the same length of time. Having said that, I couldnt cope running a business in Thailand, with all the frustrations, tea money etc etc, and I take my hat off to KQuill for so successfully running great businesses

Beachlover
June 26th, 2011, 13:23
Culture??

What? Culture isn't just about temples, art, languages, history and rituals etc. It's also about the people, their character, charisma, charm, the food, their values and beliefs and their approach to life. I think this stuff is what strikes you first when you visit Thailand.

Say what you like about Thailand, but the place is renowned for its people and charm, as are a lot of Asian countries for Westerners.

Load of crap. It might be true for sexpats and sex tourists and most of the Pattaya crowd, but not true for the vast majority of visitors. Backpackers, families, shoppers and eco-tourists visit Thailand in the droves and love it.

June 26th, 2011, 17:59
Culture??

What? Culture isn't just about temples, art, languages, history and rituals etc. It's also about the people, their character, charisma, charm, the food, their values and beliefs and their approach to life. I think this stuff is what strikes you first when you visit Thailand.

Say what you like about Thailand, but the place is renowned for its people and charm, as are a lot of Asian countries for Westerners.

Load of crap. It might be true for sexpats and sex tourists and most of the Pattaya crowd, but not true for the vast majority of visitors. Backpackers, families, shoppers and eco-tourists visit Thailand in the droves and love it.

They love it for two to three weeks, not living it every day.

thonglor55
June 27th, 2011, 05:32
Load of crap. It might be true for sexpats and sex tourists and most of the Pattaya crowd, but not true for the vast majority of visitors. Backpackers, families, shoppers and eco-tourists visit Thailand in the droves and love it.They love it for two to three weeks, not living it every day.Yes, the vast majority of visitors are not repeat visitors, and they are as you say, Mr Quill, visitors. I guess poor old Beachlover still hasn't got over that ONS with homintern and thinks everyone's experience of everything is a short-term one.

Beachlover
June 27th, 2011, 21:59
They love it for two to three weeks, not living it every day.
True... but that's not what you were referring to in your previous post about why people go there.

Brisboy82
June 28th, 2011, 03:11
Of course most visitors are short term. And most short term visitors are not sex tourists. It seems everybody has been to Thailand and yet I know very few who went for sex.

Of course a long term expat will get tired of any place eventually. Nowhere is perfect and it's impossible to have no negative feelings towards any place.

June 28th, 2011, 03:23
Of course most visitors are short term. And most short term visitors are not sex tourists. It seems everybody has been to Thailand and yet I know very few who went for sex.

Of course a long term expat will get tired of any place eventually. Nowhere is perfect and it's impossible to have no negative feelings towards any place.

Hi,

That's a very fair summary.

I may have ben slightly unfair in my earlier post but I like balanced assessments of a place.

Those that constantly witter on about how wonderful it all is, I just try to bring them back down to Earth a little because it isn't ' all that jazz ' and it has many failings too, not least the government structure, human rights, rampant corruption, and outside Bangkok and a couple of others, a very sub standard education system as well. etc

They appease the rural poor by telling them ask the Buddha, pray and repent your past misdeeds and all wilL be better next life!

Brad the Impala
June 28th, 2011, 03:30
Unfortunately, whilst I love both Cambodia and laos, their record in terms of justice, and human rights makes the Thai system seem like Sunday School...corruption is rife, probably more than Thailand - and you only have to read accounts of Laos justice and prisons that make Thai prisons (which we all know are v tough places) look humane.

Indeed, and perhaps those praising the respective cultures of Cambodia and Laos relative to Thailand, have forgotten the murderous Khmer Rouge, reckoned to have killed a third of their own population, and must be unaware of the persecution in Laos of the Hmong, that continues from the days of the communist Pathet Lao.

Perhaps none of that appeared in "the books", but it seems unlikely unless they were cartoons! Even the guides for tourists contain this sort of basic history.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7002629.stm

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/otherviews/124518218.html

June 28th, 2011, 13:06
Brad,

I am well aware of the Pathet Lao, the overthrow of the Lao monarchy, The khymer Rouge, Pol Pot's attempt at a Country totally equal and without currency ruled by the peasants, The Shans persecution by the military regime in Burma,after being promised protection and then abandoned by the British; and various other minorities that have been persecuted in the region including most recently the Rohinyghas, cast off from the shores of Thailand, (where they were attempting to seek refugee status in desperation with their boats capsizing) with not enough water or food by the Thai Navy.

I therefore neither require your links to websites nor your inane comments regards cartoons, and certainly not your patronising and implication that you have superior education or upbringing and/or your feeble attempt at sarcasm.

June 28th, 2011, 13:27
this thread has taked a completely different direction. It was just a post to get info on thailand for a tourist...now has become a political debate forum? :-) we are all adults and we have all been to school, we know our history :-)

Beachlover
June 28th, 2011, 19:56
I may have ben slightly unfair in my earlier post but I like balanced assessments of a place.

Those that constantly witter on about how wonderful it all is, I just try to bring them back down to Earth a little because it isn't ' all that jazz ' and it has many failings too, not least the government structure, human rights, rampant corruption, and outside Bangkok and a couple of others, a very sub standard education system as well. etc

They appease the rural poor by telling them ask the Buddha, pray and repent your past misdeeds and all wilL be better next life!
That's a fair call, kquill... Thailand's far from perfect and with the upsides come a lot of downsides. But the same thing probably applies to every country in varying degrees.

There's probably stuff you've come to accept and put up with in your own country that would horrify others.

For example, when my parents first came to Australia, they were shocked and dismayed by LOTS of things... Rampant alcohol abuse by teenagers, lack of control and discipline Aussie parents exert over their kids, lack of family values and neglect of the elderly, how lazy they perceived Aussies to be and how easy it was for lots of Aussies to bludge around on the dole (actually, many immigrants take advantage of this!) and more. Totally shocking to them and they're still not fully used to it. But they came here for the upsides - safety and political stability, high standard of living, abundance of space etc. and that's what they got.

Anyway... after what you went through, the occasional outburst is understandable. :happy7:

Brad the Impala
June 29th, 2011, 04:40
I am well aware of the Pathet Lao, the overthrow of the Lao monarchy, The khymer Rouge, Pol Pot's attempt at a Country totally equal and without currency ruled by the peasants, The Shans persecution by the military regime in Burma,after being promised protection and then abandoned by the British; and various other minorities that have been persecuted in the region including most recently the Rohinyghas, cast off from the shores of Thailand, (where they were attempting to seek refugee status in desperation with their boats capsizing) with not enough water or food by the Thai Navy.

I therefore neither require your links to websites nor your inane comments regards cartoons, and certainly not your patronising and implication that you have superior education or upbringing and/or your feeble attempt at sarcasm.

If you don't want to be patronised or disagreed with, perhaps you should not post such ignorant and offensive comments as you did below to a poster who merely stated that he didn't visit the country that is the subject of this forum solely for the sex!

Culture??

Such a pity that Thailand doesn't have better ski resorts!

cdnmatt
June 29th, 2011, 05:49
Such a pity that Thailand doesn't have better ski resorts!

I'm still waiting for Disneyland Issan to open up. Lazy cunts up here...

June 29th, 2011, 14:21
Hi,

Disagreement is fine Brad, but no need for the sarcasm and cartoon bloody nonsense.

I said maybe I had been a bit over the top in the earlier post, I did have an off day after that restaurant bloody post, and maybe a bit unfair, I'll leave it at that.

Also, Stevehadders is quite right in my opinion as well, that human rights abuses are even worse In Cambodia and Laos, but these are down as usual to the minority rulers as in all these places. Same as Thailand, I don't have any dislike of the people, just the systems of government and that attitude of theirs, and frustration in general at how the people allow them to continually get away with it, but we have seen what happens when they demonstrate!

Beachy got it right about how shocked some of the Asians found it landing in Australia and seeing the culture difference and decay, just as we have in the UK, In fact I bet the UK is worse.

Democracy gets it wrong often, but if these are the alternatives options, I'll stick with that system, Thank you very much!

Luni, I am sorry for taking your thread off at a tangent buddy, I had a bad hair day!

June 29th, 2011, 16:30
... I had a bad hair day!

Glue melted in the heat, Kev?

:sign5:

Beachlover
June 29th, 2011, 22:38
I agree the post is offensive and shows ignorance but just put it down to an outburst...

Truth is, people who go to Thailand with the sole purpose of having sex, as suggested are probably in the minority and are definitely not a reflective of all tourists.

Brad the Impala
June 30th, 2011, 04:23
I said maybe I had been a bit over the top in the earlier post, I did have an off day after that restaurant bloody post, and maybe a bit unfair, I'll leave it at that.

Understood. Just as you don't want those less familiar with Thailand believing everything in the garden is rosy, I also don't want them to think that everything is barbed wire. Neither extreme is true, although I tend to think that there are lots of roses in the garden, and even roses have thorns.

June 30th, 2011, 05:45

Understood. Just as you don't want those less familiar with Thailand believing everything in the garden is rosy, I also don't want them to think that everything is barbed wire. Neither extreme is true, although I tend to think that there are lots of roses in the garden, and even roses have thorns.

Yeah,

Fair comment Brad and wise words.