PDA

View Full Version : Phuket

danny99
May 17th, 2011, 12:37
I am about to visit Phuket for the first time. Can anyone recommend the Aquarius Hotel/Sauna! What are the best meeting spots [indoors or out] for local boys of the non-fem variety? Any 'interesting' shopping centres?

May 17th, 2011, 14:08
I stayed at Connect Guesthouse, it was pretty good for the price, the free breakfast was good, meals were great and booze cheap, free WIFI etc and its right in the middle of the gay area in the Paradise complex.

I think a lot of older guys or couples seem to stay at the saunas, but that was just my observation from the balcony at Connect (no offence intended to our mature Sawatdee friends).

Connect guesthouse put me onto a really good private taxi, he is a really nice guy and owns his own car, I think he charged 600 baht to meet you at the airport with a sign and take you to Phuket, I dunno if this was cheap, but his car was clean, safe and his service was spot on,

His name is Mr M, his phone number 08 72753442 (I have no ties to this man, I just liked his service and attitude and wanted to give him a plug)

Behind Connect (in the Paradise complex soi) is a little bar, I think it used to be called flying handbag, not sure, that where a lot of the boys seem to go when they finished work, always got plenty of winks and smiles.

I attached a little guide I put together from the net

Hope this helps

Simon

danny99
May 17th, 2011, 14:23
I I attached a little guide I put together from the net
Hope this helps Simon

Many, many thanks.

Would still like to find out about any non-bar meetings spots?

Daytime dalliances!

Beachlover
May 18th, 2011, 23:26
Can anyone recommend the Aquarius Hotel/Sauna!
I stayed at Aquarius back when I was on a backpackers budget and didn't mind it... It was ok but pretty basic. Paradise Complex is noisy at night and dead during the day.

For something cheap under 1,000 baht consider The Birdcage Guesthouse www.thebirdcage-phuket.com (http://www.thebirdcage-phuket.com) - it's got a great location, only 1-2 mins' walk to Paradise Complex and 5 mins' walk to the beach.

Poppa Palace (www.poppapalace.com (http://www.poppapalace.com)) and Pacific Lite Hotel (Pacific Lite Hotel) are slightly more expensive but nicer and they are on the same convenient street as Birdcage

If you're happy to pay a bit more (1,500-2,000 baht+), consider the Royal Paradise Hotel, which is the tall building above the gay Paradise Complex area. You will get a nice view from your room here.

Rolling Stone
May 21st, 2011, 05:13
Aquarius is quite nice.Though they have budget rooms but they also have suites, penthouses, etc. Check their website. I perhaps stayed there 5/6 times in the past. I stayed once at Connect. I think I liked Aquarius better.

The problem with Patong for me is the paradise complex scene does seem to be on the quiet side; hmmm ... choices are limited (if you know what I mean:). Kiss and Boat Bar discos were both attractions to me. I still went to My Way for a drink or two every night but wasn't interested in what they had on offer otherwise.

In the paradise complex, there is a couple of shops who can arrange for day tours to nearby islands etc. You might want to check them out.

If you like reasonably priced Thai Food/Seafood they are just opposite the complex across the road (plenty of them).

Beachlover
May 21st, 2011, 13:11
If you like reasonably priced Thai Food/Seafood they are just opposite the complex across the road (plenty of them).
I agree... That's a nice place to eat.

The other place I know to eat nice relatively cheap seafood is the little Alley off Soi Bangla (Patong Beach's "walking street"). They alley is on the Southern side of Soi Bangla about half way down. There's a few nice open air seafood eateries in this alley.

I tend to like eating at one of the restaurants overlooking the beach, e.g. The Savoy is nice (has an air conditioned section across the road) but you'll pay maybe double the price here for the similar food.