PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Bangkok.

upnorth
May 9th, 2011, 19:29
Hi there, have the boys sorted. Now for shopping. Could someone guide me to some nice Golf shirts in BKK.
Rather not pay top dollar. I heard there are some bargains to be had in BKK. Prefer famous name brand.
Greg Norman Ralph Lauren Polo etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards. JB.

May 9th, 2011, 19:37
Hi there, have the boys sorted. Now for shopping. Could someone guide me to some nice Golf shirts in BKK.
Rather not pay top dollar. I heard there are some bargains to be had in BKK. Prefer famous name brand.
Greg Norman Ralph Lauren Polo etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards. JB.

Just walk along Sukhumvit in the afternoon or evening or Silom evening time, lot's of fake items available. other than that if you want quality then shop in the department stores the name brands are still cheaper than you might find at home.

upnorth
May 9th, 2011, 19:43
Thanks Combat. The main reason I asked is I am a bit pushed for time and dont know BKK that well. If I head to MBK
am I heading in the right direction. The shirts are not even for me. lol. A favour for a friend back home.

May 9th, 2011, 19:47
Thaniya Plaza has the most concentrated amount of golf equipment, including clothing, you are likely to find in SE Asia.
I am told by those who golf that there are excellent deals to be had and it is extremely popular with the golfing mad Japanese.
Here is a link to the website but it looks to be mostly in Thai:
http://www.thaniyaplaza.com/mainThaniya/home.php
It's located in Soi Thaniya, off Silom and easily accessible by BTS from Sala Daeng station.

Beachlover
May 9th, 2011, 19:53
If you're after genuine name brand stuff (not counterfeit), try Siam Paragon and Gaysorn. You probably won't get away cheaply though... Others may have better suggestions.

Alternatively, if convenient, you'd be better off buying this kind if high-end fashion stuff in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur (love the shopping there). The shops tend to be more trustworthy and the prices more competitive.

If you're after counterfeit stuff, Chatuchak Market is probably the best place to go for lowest prices and biggest variety. It's well worth a visit, the world's biggest weekend market, open Saturday/Sundays and easy to get to, just outside Mo Chit Skytrain Station. Best to get there early in the day when it's cooler but later in the day is fine too. If you miss Chatuchak on the weekend, you can usually find this stuff at the Patpong nightmarket in Silom (as Combat suggests) too, but prices are a little dearer.

upnorth
May 9th, 2011, 20:01
Thats really helpful guys. Thanks alot. Saved me alot of running around. I fly in next Tues and then straight out lunchtime Wed for
Chiang mai. 3 days there then back to BKK Sat. Sun off to Pattaya then back home Tues. So trip is a little short but will try and make
the most of it. Thanks again. JB.

lukylok
May 10th, 2011, 02:18
I am not stealing the thread, but coming soon to BKK, where can I find a decent shirtmaker. I am not looking for cheap shirts, but high quality material (probably italian) and take advantage of the cheaper workmanship. I have long arms and I cannot find anythiing readymade which suits me. I am not looking for something shoddy. Same would apply to a tailor. It probably will be costly but far less than here. (Europa)
Thanks a lot !

joe552
May 10th, 2011, 03:45
"I have long arms" says Lukilok. Unlike Scotty who (allegedly) has short arms and deep pockets! :rolling:

May 10th, 2011, 04:23
I am not stealing the thread, but coming soon to BKK, where can I find a decent shirtmaker. I am not looking for cheap shirts, but high quality material (probably italian) and take advantage of the cheaper workmanship. I have long arms and I cannot find anythiing readymade which suits me. I am not looking for something shoddy. Same would apply to a tailor. It probably will be costly but far less than here. (Europa)
Thanks a lot !

You will find tailor shop on Sukhumvit, Silom and Suriwong to name just three main streets. One that I used is on the opposite side of Sukhumvit Road to Robinsons Department Store (Asoke BTS Station) You will find prices for tailoring shirts, trousers and suits very competitive and nothing like what you might be used to paying back home.

May 10th, 2011, 12:53
Thanks a lot !
Most tailors in upmarket hotels can manage to make a decent shirt.
Casual trousers can be OK but usually better made in Hong Kong or Singapore.
DO NOT. however, get Bangkok tailors to make you a suit or jacket ... unless you are going to a fancy dress party and want to have a 'one-off' fun item.

May 10th, 2011, 12:57
Thaniya Plaza has the most concentrated amount of golf equipment, including clothing, you are likely to find in SE Asia.

Back to Golf and as a golfer I agree with Once In Awhile. Nowhere else I know has so many golf shops in one location.
Thaniya Plaza should be your first port of call.

May 10th, 2011, 21:04
As regards to tailors I would concur with Roger.
Over the years I have tried a few different tailors and always end up back at D&D Tailors in the Nana Hotel.
Good selection of men's fabrics and do a better than average job of shirts and casual trousers.
The women who runs the shop speaks excellent English as well.

luvthai-2
May 11th, 2011, 05:23
Try MBK for your shirts. The upper floors may be your best bet or deals. There is so much eye candy around its hard to concentrate on shopping.

Beachlover
May 11th, 2011, 11:44
I also agree with Roger about Bangkok tailors and would get suits and shirts done in Singapore instead, unless you have strong recommendation from someone.

I've heard Hoi An in Vietnam (apparently the tailoring/fabric centre of Vietnam) is also an excellent place for tailored suits/shirts and leather shoes. Anyone have experience of this?