PDA

View Full Version : They are fighting to to be the first and the richest.

Smiles
May 2nd, 2006, 20:29
. . . but no thanks.

3 HUGE drawbacks:

(1) It's located in Jomtien/Pattaya. Living there??: horrors!

(2) My testicles ascend into the warmer and safer regions of my lower stomach area whenever I'm looking over a balcony more than 5 stories up. The Beloved says he likes my balls "to play" with and complains when they are missing.

(3) Thais do not use generally accepted building codes and I'm sure this building will fall down soon after construction.

Talking about 'falling down' . . . I wonder whether it would sell better if the advertising photos showed the less-than-aesthetic support structures? I would certainly make me feel better when/if making a decision.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images/MAJESTICTOWER.jpg

Cheers ...

jimnbkk
May 2nd, 2006, 21:43
The Majestic or whatever u call it may already be eclipsed by yet another 'tallest' building proposal, this one in Miami, Florida. Read the blurb:

DOWNTOWN MIAMI

Plans for world's tallest condo tower unveiled

Miami's new landmark? A developer is proposing to build the world's tallest condo tower -- 1,200 feet and 110 stories high -- on Biscayne Boulevard.

BY MATTHEW HAGGMAN

mhaggman@herald.com

The South Florida building boom may be reaching new heights, with a developer proposing what could be the world's tallest condominium in downtown Miami.

Leon Cohen is preparing to submit plans with the city of Miami to build a condo tower and apartment-hotel tower that would each rise 1,200 feet along Biscayne Boulevard.

If built, both 110-story skyscrapers would be the tallest in Florida, and the condo tower would rank as the tallest residential high-rise in the world, Cohen said.

The 21st Century Tower in Dubai, 883 feet tall, is currently the world's tallest residential building, according to Germany-based Emporis, which tracks high-rise construction. Florida's tallest high-rise is the 789-foot Four Seasons Hotel & Tower on Brickell Avenue in Miami.

But Cohen, who grew up in Paris and moved to Miami Beach in 2000, faces severe hurdles in getting approvals to build so high. The Federal Aviation Administration has limited the height of new buildings along Biscayne Boulevard so as not to interfere with planes flying into Miami International Airport.

Called Empire World Towers, Cohen's development would rise on an L-shaped, roughly two-acre parcel at 330 Biscayne Blvd. The two towers, projected to include 1,000 condo units and 500 apartment-hotel units, would wrap around the Holiday Inn hotel at the corner of Biscayne Boulevard and Northeast Fourth Street.[/b]

May 3rd, 2006, 08:19
I am sure we are all clambering to to live like battery chickens in a faulty tower. Is it just coincidence that the building is being launched in Hong Kong or are the Chinese involved ? I heard they threw them out of Bali after they tried pouring concrete into the river valley in Ubud. No such luck in Thailand.

Doug
May 3rd, 2006, 09:00
I don't think the Miami condo will stop the Thais from having the tallest. They will simply follow their usual building technique of adding unauthorized and unengineered floors to the top of O1.

May 3rd, 2006, 18:18
I heard they threw them out of Bali

I'd heard they'd tried to get the Dutch out hundreds of years earlier but the Dutch just slaughtered wave after wave of stick weilding tribesmen. To be fair to the Dutch, they seem to have taken to trying to preserve gardens in Bangkok from the English recently. Have to protect potential bulb markets, I suppose. :flower:

Confuse_us he say "Man who call kettle blick should not throw at glass house". :bounce:

Doug
May 3rd, 2006, 21:23
LMTU

Of course it's sour grapes. Only in my dreams or with a Lotto win could I hope to reside in such luxury. When I move to Thailand it could possibly in a small place east of Sukumvit or on the beach in Rayong. All my life I've been a macaroni & cheese guy with a sanook and mai bhen rai attitude. Even without the drive for riches and the resultant state of my investments, I have lived a very happy life and I believe I can continue to do so in Pattaya. Actually, I know so.

Would I live in the O1 if possible? Probably, but I don't obsessively dream about such excesses. For those who can list O1 as their residence, good on ya. I hope, on the beach where all are equal, we can still be friends.

The first post on the O2 was very interesting and valuable to those with the resources to take advantage. But now with your 3rd posting, it appears you are throwing opulance in my face and try to create a divide between rich and not so rich gays. I suggest if you have up-dates on the development, you add the post to an already created thread.

Just a thought but up to you.

May 3rd, 2006, 22:47
One good effect of these new richie condos is that the most crafty gold digging Thais will not settle for less than one of their residents, leaving the whores with a heart of gold for us kao mun gai dudes. Let the building begin!

May 4th, 2006, 02:40
Just another condo to destroy the beach areas that I found so relaxing and screne a few years ago. What is happening to our beloved thailand?

May 4th, 2006, 03:54
Just another condo to destroy the beach areas that I found so relaxing and screne a few years ago. What is happening to our beloved thailand?
Yes, it is true some limited areas of Thailand are being changed forever by overdevelopment. But, there are still plenty of undeveloped areas, and will be for a very long time. And there is always Cambodia and Burma. If Burma ever manages to change their government, they will have a tourism revolution.

paulg
May 4th, 2006, 05:31
I would be more impressed if this promoter stated he was going to buy a condo himself.
Does he own any property in LOS?

May 4th, 2006, 06:57
I expect they will sell like hot cakes in Hong Kong as people block buys flats before they are built here. This kind of speculation is a bit of a problem for the end user as by the time they get hold of an apartment that they want to live in/holiday in, they are almost in the danger zone of negative equity. Sometimes and its not uncommon apartments are bought and sold three times before they are even built. And not a single "home buyer" is involved.

Of course this kind of greed and speculation and mass development (the higher the better the bigger the better and the cheaper the better) is a disaster for the preservation of any-city and sometimes economy. It also seems to know no borders. While I would like to point my finger solely at the big Chinese property developers (names withheld) city planners governments and corruption all play their part. However the consumer end user can vote with their cash amongst other things?

May 4th, 2006, 09:11
What are we going to do then, buy HOUSES in Thailand?

Up2U
May 4th, 2006, 12:09
"Just another condo to destroy the beach areas that I found so relaxing and screne a few years ago." ....well for one it is not right on the beach and the area is hardly relaxing and serene. Just about anything there would be an improvement.

"What is happening to our beloved thailand?".......it's called progress, whether we like it or not.

May 4th, 2006, 12:31
A good idea Thaiquilla. Avoid all speculative property developments. I can't see how the authorities, government , who ever, in Thailand are so blinded by the mess they bring to the economy the cities and the people. Even while some stand unfinished and abandoned in Bangkok since the Asian collapse others are mushrooming up around them. Let them ruin their own countries.