PDA

View Full Version : Having an election

thonglor55
May 8th, 2011, 05:51
For those who care about nights the bars will be closed, and are thinking about a holiday in the next couple of months, please note there's likely to be a general election in late June. However the last time there was such an election, not only were the bars closed on election eve (can't let anyone who's drunk vote), they were also closed on at least one other day during the period (the day postal votes closed, as I recall). Together with the three-day commencement of Buddhist Lent bar closure (15 July weekend), anyone who's planning to be here from late June to late July and is bar-dependent might like to reconsider their plans. As someone who can't vote and regards Thai Buddhism as a corrupt and animistic religion it will be a fun time for me as well, as I wait to see what the Establishment will get up to as they ensure that the party with the largest numbers (Pheu Thai, by everyone's estimation) is once again robbed of government.

May 8th, 2011, 06:02
For those who care about nights the bars will be closed, and are thinking about a holiday in the next couple of months, please note there's likely to be a general election in late June. However the last time there was such an election, not only were the bars closed on election eve (can't let anyone who's drunk vote), they were also closed on at least one other day during the period (the day postal votes closed, as I recall). Together with the three-day commencement of Buddhist Lent bar closure (15 July weekend), anyone who's planning to be here from late June to late July and is bar-dependent might like to reconsider their plans. As someone who can't vote and regards Thai Buddhism as a corrupt and animistic religion it will be a fun time for me as well, as I wait to see what the Establishment will get up to as they ensure that the party with the largest numbers (Pheu Thai, by everyone's estimation) is once again robbed of government.

Ha!

The Generals and Colonels and Politicians will all have their maids getting out the ironing boards and creasing their yellow shirts soon then, I imagine?

Anytime soon the demonstrations should start so they can have their ' crackdown ' and invent dissidents to arrest and impose a curfew.

thonglor55
May 8th, 2011, 08:40
The Generals and Colonels and Politicians will all have their maids getting out the ironing boards and creasing their yellow shirts soon then, I imagine? Anytime soon the demonstrations should start so they can have their ' crackdown ' and invent dissidents to arrest and impose a curfew.I believe that a General's wife is still entitled to a motorcade to go shopping. Amazing Thailand - it's a laugh a minute for those ex-pats who live here. Sadly many of those people lack a sense of humor, let it get to them, and turn to bitterness.

May 8th, 2011, 10:38
Apart from the election weekend, there is also a pre-election weekend in which people get the opportunity to vote in case they can't return to their home-village during the official election weekend. This was invented 2 years ago.
In both cases: Election on Sunday and no alcohol from Saturday 6 p.m. until 6 a.m. on Monday. (of course this may change per location).

cdnmatt
May 8th, 2011, 10:51
Election or no election, I'm quite certain if I want a beer, I'll be able to buy one. :)

thonglor55
May 8th, 2011, 11:26
Election or no election, I'm quite certain if I want a beer, I'll be able to buy one. :)It's difficult for children to recognise such things, I know, but it's not all about you.

thonglor55
May 10th, 2011, 09:17
It's now official, polling day is July 3

thonglor55
May 10th, 2011, 17:08
I'm not sure why jinx decides that the title for this thread should be "Having an election" when I deliberately called it "Having an erection" and again edited the original post to set it back after he had changed it to "Having an election" earlier today. Perhaps he doesn't see that a reference to bars being closed is a reference to erections (or lack of them). Either way, it's yet another reason why I would never follow him to a Board where he is in complete control. I have complained to ES on a number of occasions about jinx moderating decisions and have been told each time "Oh, I don't want to interfere because he's a volunteer so I feel I must indulge him even when I agree with the posters rather than jinx." He's now turned off the Edit permission on the original post so I can't turn it back to my original intention. How petty minded is he?