PDA

View Full Version : Richards Pub closing?

May 7th, 2011, 14:36
I have just received an email from a friend that says Richard's Pub in Bangkok is closing?
Like a good old Queen I am shocked.
I remember Richard sold it about 18 months ago now,could be longer and went back to Canada.

thonglor55
May 7th, 2011, 15:14
I remember Richard sold it about 18 months ago now,could be longer and went back to Canada.Nine to twelve months is a more likely time-frame. Richard went back to Canada at his usual time last year (July) and hasn't returned. However, how could he sell something he didn't own? He was a front man and traded off his "reputation" as a former owner of Telephone Bar. He had some minor interest in the enterprise in exchange for letting the bar use his name, but that was all. A friend of mine was offered Richard's "share" but after a very cursory "due diligence" decided there was nothing there to buy. I gather it was widely hawked around but no-one could be found to take it on after similar due diligence. One issue, I understand, is that the lease is for the entire building but the bar occupies only the ground floor - and is about to run out.

danny99
May 7th, 2011, 16:03
I have just received an email from a friend that says Richard's Pub in Bangkok is closing?

Then I say about time!

I ate there once had the most disgusting Gai Haw Bai Toey I had ever had [completely dried chunks of chicken in loose pandan wrapping all dripping with oil, also with wrong dipping sauce], found the service completely arrogant, paying customers virtually neglected till you asked for service, barman/girl too busy talking [gossiping] with old queen at the bar...never returned!

May 7th, 2011, 18:45
This is in the same soi as the Balcony if I remember rightly,that soi was very busy when I went last time.

Im surprised they didn't try to sell,at least I don't think they did,I certainly did not seeing anything to indicate it was for sale.
If the lease is up maybe the owner has given them notice to vacate OR has put the rent up,these could be possibilities,and they may be relocating?
It may be cover the explanation about why we didn't see it for sale perhaps.

Certainly the rent would not be cheap in that part of town that may be a factor in why they couldn't sell (that's if they were selling)
I guess if the lease is up soon,then this may be a good business opportunity for someone who has lots and lots of experience in business and hospitality.

Whatever reason we seem to be losing a lot of Gay friendly business's,considering Chez Vickie,Pagoda,Wonderland ,Cat's,and many others have closed.
I was very hurt to see Chez Vickie closed.If you hadn't seen one of her shows please do a look at one on Youtube.

Brad the Impala
May 7th, 2011, 19:02
This is in the same soi as the Balcony if I remember rightly,that soi was very busy when I went last time.

I think that you are getting it confused, although I never visited it, I believe that it was in another soi

May 7th, 2011, 19:28

and you didn't even bother to check the maps on the website before filling up space with what you remember wrongly!
http://www.richards-bangkok.com/map/map_silom.html

Balcony and Telephone are in Silom Soi 4. @Richards is in Silom Soi 2/1 next to GOD disco. (and before you spread more confusion DJ Station is in Silom Soi 2)

The joke about Richards and it's location was that it was "GOD'S WAITING ROOM" based on the clientele that Richards managed to entice into the place. A lot of retiree's and older farangs. Those guys never managed to get into GOD disco because it opened after their bed time.

That Richards has managed to stay open as long as it has is surprising to me because basing a business on a lot of old fogeys spending their pensions in his bar must be a recipe for disaster - the customers are always dying off and it does nothing to encourage a younger, higher spending group of guests.

May 7th, 2011, 20:22
Your so right Roger,I apologise,thankyou for giving out the location.

Beachlover
May 7th, 2011, 21:07
Is this the "Richards" that's just to the right hand side of GOD DIsco? I never went in there but it looked pretty dull from the outside. I thought it was just a restaurant. The noodle restaurant, which is on your left hand side as you walk into that Soi (its entrance is on Silom Rd) looks more lively.

I think the location may have good potential as a sort of hip chilled out late night gay bar to accompany GOD. They could build up that Soi like Soi 2 has been built up.

I was very hurt to see Chez Vickie closed.If you hadn't seen one of her shows please do a look at one on Youtube.
Jesus Christ...

[youtube:2m60kkeq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoL__EUTE6k[/youtube:2m60kkeq]

May 7th, 2011, 21:17
LOL Thankyou BL,she was great,however I suppose talking French to her audience wasn't a good idea when 99% of them didn't speak it.
However I doubt she went broke,maybe there were personal reasons for the sale,but whatever it may have been,I for one am sad it's closed.
Sorry to take this off topic by the way,I realise the thread is about Richards and not Chez Vickie but I loved her.

May 8th, 2011, 01:51
First

@Richards is in Silom Soi 2/1 next to GOD disco
Then

is this the "Richards" that's just to the right hand side of GOD DIsco?

How fucking obtuse are you?

thonglor55
May 10th, 2011, 20:40
The last day of operations is 28 May so I'm told.

May 12th, 2011, 13:53
Looked so dead when I walked past a few weeks ago, I did not even bother going in

thonglor55
May 12th, 2011, 15:36
Looked so dead when I walked past a few weeks ago, I did not even bother going inWe must be grateful for small mercies.

May 13th, 2011, 18:10
@Richard is not closing on 28 May. It will stay open for a little while.

thonglor55
May 14th, 2011, 04:54
A little while? Any more details? Surely one of combat's little helpers who were so keen to tell us about The Drama At Barbican (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/gays-not-welcome-the-barbican-bulls-head-bangkok-t20903.html) can give us the details on this one (and I'm sure they'll be just as reliable). Wasn't the principal in that episode an habitue at Richards??