PDA

View Full Version : Laos Hotel rooms

May 3rd, 2011, 07:52
Gents,

Latest anybody on updates for accommodation in Vientiene, Laos.

I am interested in reasonable to good standard.

May 3rd, 2011, 12:42
Kevin,
I have just come back after spending a week in Vientiene.
Actually reminded me of Khao San RD,only very much cleaner and all/most streets with footpaths,all clean,they actually have traffic lights with pedestrian crossings and unobstructed clean footpaths,nothing like Cambodia or even Thailand.

There are upteen guesthouses from low cost to higher cost in Vientiane,mine was 700 baht,although I paid in kip.
I took a taxi from the border,I was a little wary when he told us of this accomodation but when I checked it out it was very clean.
I only saw 1 British pub,the Hound and Hare and I saw an American pub which was also full of customers,so there is business opportunity there by the dozen.

Mostly all I saw were umpteen cafes and coffee shops,they could well with more bars,probaly aimed towards the backpacker younger crowd, and it was cold when I went(March) so much that the Hound and Hare which looks like the pub in Coronation Street had their heater on.

They do have Swensons Ice cream and Pizza Hut but,couldn't find a KFC or McDonalds or even a 7/11.

The guesthouse/hotel I stayed in was opposite a Gay Bar/massage shop,ext door to an Italian restaurant,sorry I cannot remeber the name but nearest to the lovely waterfront which is also footpathed and has a nice park with statutues etc.
pm me should you wish to know more,and apparently even a work visa there is easy to obtain.
I loved Vientiane.

thonglor55
May 3rd, 2011, 13:11
I have just come back after spending a week in Vientiene. Actually reminded me of Khao San RD.You mean it's full of unwashed backpackers?

pong
May 3rd, 2011, 16:59
You mean it's full of unwashed backpackers?
Bwaaaaahhh!!!!!!!! WHY WHY always that parrotting prejudice. Have you ever been to Khao sarn in fact since 1995 (of course you say yes as not to loose your credence)-these apparently meant as being oh so jolly jokes makes me think Thaivisa is beter fit as a forum.
Naming that: VTE rooms get taken up early in the day becasue so many of Thai-visarunners visit the Thai embassy there for their new permit to stay.
BTW: would I now need to write down my prejudice on Thonglor (golden wheels) hi-so wannabees? For those golden BMWs (washed/unwashed?) without any regard for a pedestrian?

Khor tose
May 3rd, 2011, 17:25
Gents,
Latest anybody on updates for accommodation in Vientiene, Laos.
I am interested in reasonable to good standard.

There are a lot of good guesthouses along the river. I rented a bike and stayed at the Novatel and had no trouble bringing a boy in. The best place used to be the Don Chan Palace with its disco frequented by many gays. I think this is the best site for up-to-date information. Do take pictures.

http://www.stickyrice.ws/?view=director ... &place=vte (http://www.stickyrice.ws/?view=directory&country=la&place=vte)

May 4th, 2011, 08:14
Kevin,
I have just come back after spending a week in Vientiene.
Actually reminded me of Khao San RD,only very much cleaner and all/most streets with footpaths,all clean,they actually have traffic lights with pedestrian crossings and unobstructed clean footpaths,nothing like Cambodia or even Thailand.

There are upteen guesthouses from low cost to higher cost in Vientiane,mine was 700 baht,although I paid in kip.
I took a taxi from the border,I was a little wary when he told us of this accomodation but when I checked it out it was very clean.
I only saw 1 British pub,the Hound and Hare and I saw an American pub which was also full of customers,so there is business opportunity there by the dozen.

Mostly all I saw were umpteen cafes and coffee shops,they could well with more bars,probaly aimed towards the backpacker younger crowd, and it was cold when I went(March) so much that the Hound and Hare which looks like the pub in Coronation Street had their heater on.

They do have Swensons Ice cream and Pizza Hut but,couldn't find a KFC or McDonalds or even a 7/11.

The guesthouse/hotel I stayed in was opposite a Gay Bar/massage shop,ext door to an Italian restaurant,sorry I cannot remeber the name but nearest to the lovely waterfront which is also footpathed and has a nice park with statutues etc.
pm me should you wish to know more,and apparently even a work visa there is easy to obtain.
I loved Vientiane.

tonyfromkent64 and Khor tose,

Thanks a lot for the information I am looking forward to getting there and to Cambodia!

Any info or tips on VTE you think is any good please tell me. I will be OK with language anyways.

Khor tose
May 4th, 2011, 11:30
tonyfromkent64 and Khor tose,
Thanks a lot for the information I am looking forward to getting there and to Cambodia!
Any info or tips on VTE you think is any good please tell me. I will be OK with language anyways.

General information only: They drive on the correct side of the road (wrong to you), and so be careful when crossing the streets.
It is a very French city, nicely laid out with traffic rules that are obeyed. They have a Victory monument and a Champ Elysees type road worth seeing. Almost all buildings, including new ones, are French Provincial style. If you are not tired of temples and wats they do have several. Most notably the Pha That Luang Temple that is the heart of Lao Buddhism. The riverfront at night is a party place. There are new gay bars, but I do not know them. When I went the main action was Discos and not bars. Oh, I was told the bowling alley was a cruising place, but I never checked it out. One of the best Chinese restaurants in Asia is just down the street from the Novotel at the ??Mekong Hotel?? This is a very upscale hotel serving Rich Chinese. Incredible good food, and do not be turned off by the fact that the detached restaurant and its signs are large neon types. Inside it is first class all the way.

Errrr, I cannot find the hotel listed under this name. If you leave the Novotel heading to town the road spits into a vee about 50m from the hotel. One road is one way towards you and the other called Laung Pubang Road is one way to town. The hotel and seperate restaurant are on your right about 60 yards from the vee split. If anyone knows what the name of this place is now, I would appreciate you posting it.

thonglor55
May 4th, 2011, 13:42
Any info or tips on VTE you think is any good please tell me. I will be OK with language anyways.Prepared to be bored shitless - it's far, far worse than Khon Kaen.

May 4th, 2011, 18:18
Any info or tips on VTE you think is any good please tell me. I will be OK with language anyways.Prepared to be bored shitless - it's far, far worse than Khon Kaen.

Thonglor55,

OMG God, I feared that. However, I hope the novelty after being away frm Asia quite a while should carry me through for about five days or so as I ain't been in before.

I have been very near and had converstations with the Laos guys when they used to cross over for the day and buy goods on the Thai side of the river plus then I am off down to Cambodia and over to Vietnam followed by Bali.

They say Luang Prubang s great too or at least scenic? I am taking a camera this time anyways, something else I have never bothered with for years!

billyhouston
May 5th, 2011, 04:32
Errrr, I cannot find the hotel listed under this name. If you leave the Novotel heading to town the road spits into a vee about 50m from the hotel. One road is one way towards you and the other called Laung Pubang Road is one way to town. The hotel and seperate restaurant are on your right about 60 yards from the vee split. If anyone knows what the name of this place is now, I would appreciate you posting it.

As far as I'm aware you have the correct name, Mekong Hotel. I've walked past it many times, on my way to Wat Xieng Ve, but never been inside.

Over the last two or three years I've read in the UK press that Luang Prabang is the 'place to go'. Always a bad sign! It is very touristy and likely to become more so but, in spite of that, the beauty of the place is remarkable and it's very photogenic. I would suggest staying in the old temple district between the Mekong and the Nam Khan. Vientiane is laid back but Louang Prabang even more so.

May 5th, 2011, 06:21
billyhouston,

Thanks for the help and ideas.

Guys, I have been looking at tripadvisor for updates, any of you stayed in Intercity, City Inn, Novotel, I can already imagine this one, just as I can a Best Western and Lao Orchid, I think it was or Salana?

I get mixed but quite positive reviews on these places of late.

Or a Small rather classy Lao Style laid back place not over 2,500 a night? any ideas appreciated.

I have just made friends on Facebook with a government guy that works for the Tourist Authority in Luang Prabang, I'll see if he can help me as well.

I will definitely post my findings for all of you at the middle of August or end of July.

Khor tose
May 5th, 2011, 07:46
As far as I'm aware you have the correct name, Mekong Hotel. I've walked past it many times, on my way to Wat Xieng Ve, but never been inside.

Thanks Billy, I bet they only advertise in China. The restaurant is 20 yards before the hotel with a garish neon sign. Inside, red tablecloths, individual female waiters trained to not hover, incredibly good Chinese food.

thonglor55
May 6th, 2011, 14:16
Any info or tips on VTE you think is any good please tell me. I will be OK with language anyways.Prepared to be bored shitless - it's far, far worse than Khon Kaen.OMG God, I feared that. However, I hope the novelty after being away frm Asia quite a while should carry me through for about five days or so as I ain't been in before.Can we look forward to a full trip report?

May 7th, 2011, 04:42
thonglor55,

It will be a pleasure to give you people a full trip report, probably ongoing as well.I fully intend to get the one year Cambodia visa.

yaraboy
May 7th, 2011, 05:18
I live in Vientiane for 4 months of the year and have appreciated its transformation to a more interesting and attractive city. I have a BF so we do not go out much but there are 3 gay bars............newest and best is CCC close to the main intersection at north entrance to downtown. I like Lao Orchid Hotel for around $50 and Avalon for about $25.........High end Setha Palace. If you feel like a swim and workout go to Sengdara Fitness........10 minutes from centre.

Enjoy!

May 7th, 2011, 07:35
Live in Vientiane 4 months of the year,lucky you,I loved it for the short time I was there.
Nothing like Cambodia,it was very clean and modern with decent footpaths,and no 7/11's in sight.

I stayed in a Chinese owned hotel opposite a gay massage place for 700 baht a night,was very clean and they provided toothpaste,soap,water etc.

As for the fitness,I noticed free fitness workout machines along the waterfront,it was a Sunday night when I went wallking along the waterfront and it was very busy with families and younger people,yes some handsome Lao boys running walking and using the free exercisers.

Do you happen to know about the big statue they have in the park?

Kquill,are you going this year,I think you will love Vientiane,even though I was told Luang Prabang is better,it was something like a 6 hour bus ride from Vientiane so I didnt do it.
I take it you can speak Lao? As a matter of interest,unless you are speaking it everyday how do you actually remember the language,do you continually practise?
I certainly wish I had the patience and the drive to learn it,so much different from Thai they say.
I really love listening to Farang Johnny Olsen singing in Lao in youtube.

Be sure to drop into the Hound and Hare pub,on the corner converted into an old English Pub,owner lives with his Lao wife and 2 children there,very friendly guy.
There are some fantastic business opportunities in this area.

Putting aside the need for moneyboys I think if there was any place I would rather live it would be Vientiane,chasing moneyboys around Pattaya is becoming tiresome and quite boring.

May 7th, 2011, 12:28
Hi,

Yes I am going at the end of July or beginning of August to Laos this year.

The Lao language side of things comes because my partner of 15/16 years is from Kalasin, North East Thailand where they tend to prefer to speak Lao day to day, especially his parents and siblings, and like anything else you adapt and get used to it. Yes, of course you forget things but that all comes back when you are immersed over there. Regards seeing past the moneyboys of Pattaya, after being immerse in that environment for a number of year, it holds little interest, I can think of many more things to do.

I hope there are business opportunities, I don't want/am not looking for anything too much just a steady away type of thing as I have had a rough time with illness and you tend then to live life instead of chasing money all the time. I want something that allows you to stay in a place, not necessarily Laos, maybe Bali or Cambodia and gives you an interest.

tonyfromkent, I am glad you seem to have a very positive view of the place, but you don't share that opinion regards Cambodia?? is that because it is untidy or dirty or due to poverty?? What is your opinion of Siem Reap??

yaraboy,

Thanks for your input I will look at these places as Lao Orchid was on my list but so is Salana and Chanthapanya. There seems to be an abundance of reasonable Hotels and I don't think they will be capacity in July/August if Thailand is anything to go by.

yaraboy
May 10th, 2011, 08:57
Tony ..the statute is of Anuavong a Leader around 1830. He is honored by Lao nationalists as he advanced into Siam and retook Lao land. The upshot was that the Siamese re invaded Laos, enslaved thousands and destroyed Vientiane (except for one temple). Anyway his statute is rather provocative as it sits on the Mekong threatening Thailand!
Krill..July August is not that busy though many Lao expats come home with their kids. Many seem to have done well overseas and the Lao French seem particularly sophisticated. Hotels will not be full though Lao Orchid is very popular with business types.

I

May 10th, 2011, 14:19
Kevin,
I am surprised you want to leave England,there are many more business opportunities here.
I do not know about Bali except to say that I heard they never recovered after the terrorist attack.

A nice coffee shop along the waterfront in Vientiane would be nice for you,but how long do you think before you get bored and really want to get involved with more exciting ideas,pubs,bars etc?

Regardless of your past illness you have been through a lot,2 jails in 2 Countries so you can certainly say your resilient and mentally strong,so you are a survivor.
I hope it made you stronger,I and others don't know and will never know what you been through.
Im not sure what you have been doing the last 8 or so months since your release but I hope next year is better for you.
Good Luck and I hope to visit your new business one day,wherever that may be.

May 11th, 2011, 01:55
Kevin,
I am surprised you want to leave England,there are many more business opportunities here.
I do not know about Bali except to say that I heard they never recovered after the terrorist attack.

A nice coffee shop along the waterfront in Vientiane would be nice for you,but how long do you think before you get bored and really want to get involved with more exciting ideas,pubs,bars etc?

Regardless of your past illness you have been through a lot,2 jails in 2 Countries so you can certainly say your resilient and mentally strong,so you are a survivor.
I hope it made you stronger,I and others don't know and will never know what you been through.
Im not sure what you have been doing the last 8 or so months since your release but I hope next year is better for you.
Good Luck and I hope to visit your new business one day,wherever that may be.

Hi tonyfromkent64,

It was actually a helluva lot more prisons than two my friend. I am answering your post even though I am withdrawing from the board as I stated on Gay Thailand's board.

Thailand was..............Chonburi, Nong Palai,Pattaya and Klong Prem (Bangkok Hilton)

UK..................even worse, HMP Wandsworth, one of Europe's largest and most violent. HMP Edmunds Hill, HMP Leicester, HMP Buckley Hall, processd and then refused me. HMP Strangeways..accepted and then refused. HMP Forest Bank in Salford. HMP Full Sutton, (flying visit only). HMP Everthorpe and finally HMP Moorlands (just as the riots kicked off, I was released.)

A few more than two and many of them were Category A and B prisons.

All this, after being found not guilty in the Appeal Court, and the actual charge of possession of 9 grams amphetamine, which I have never touched in my life nor given to anyone else,does not even carry a custodial sentence in the UK for a first offence.( I had no previous convictions,by the way.)

The total value of these alleged amphetamines was ┬г70 SEVENTY POUNDS STERLING. This was the offence they said I was guilty of, not using,not selling just ' in possession of' according to the Police and they gave me six years because I would not pleased guilty to a crime I had not committed.

Yea, nobody has any idea what I went through and what I saw. Also, the real criminals who organised and put them there never spent a day in jail, but We all will ' have our day in the sunshine!'

May 11th, 2011, 08:04
I doubt a lot of us would or could survive that!
I imagine you were handcuffed a lot in between Prison transfers as well as been "locked" up in a cell.
God knows how someone could survive in there,especially in the UK system with the violence.
All that for 70 pounds of drugs!!!!!!!!!!
I really think you should consider writing a book about this and I am serious,I am not sure why you are not considering this.

They put you in maximum security in the UK system ? all for 70 pounds of drugs? seems ludicrous.

I would beg you NOT to leave this or other boards,because you have come this far in getting your message across,why leave now,this is a way to get your message across,once you go quiet you have let them beat you,then again we dont know who is buying the board,christ it could be even Madame herself !

Beachlover
May 11th, 2011, 11:09
tonyfromkent64... I am answering your post even though I am withdrawing from the board as I stated on Gay Thailand's board.'
kquill... I wonder if you'll consider staying, now that Spike says someone else will be taking over the board.

UK..................even worse'
I've heard of at least one prisoner saying they preferred being in their Thai prison to their UK prison.

May 11th, 2011, 16:53
tonyfromkent64... I am answering your post even though I am withdrawing from the board as I stated on Gay Thailand's board.'
kquill... I wonder if you'll consider staying, now that Spike says someone else will be taking over the board.

UK..................even worse'
I've heard of at least one prisoner saying they preferred being in their Thai prison to their UK prison.

Hi,

In Thailand they are only interested in holding you inside the confines of the jail, they are not interested in rehabilitation. UK prisons, you are inside or locked most of the time, 23 hours in Local and remand jails or if you are not working.

Thailand, you are outside all day in the sunshine or whatever and as long as you do not disturb the wardens, they are not really interested in you except for any money they may be able to extract from you.

In the UK system, prisoners are prone to completely unprovoked oubursts of extreme violence and mental health issues are a major problem as is self harm.

tonyfromkent,

There was no ┬г70 sterling worth of drugs, these were placed there!!

Transfers between Thai prisons is leg irons ad guards with shotguns, In the UK , it is DOUBLE cuffed with two guards in Cat A and B. The cuffs are massive and rigid. In Cat C, it is just your hands together and not double cuffed to an officer.

The problem was in the UK they didn't know how to categorise and I was continually on the move, until a civilian officer finally read the papers, had everything removed and me transferred to Open prison. I was there oly a very short time till release,maybe six weeks, the rest, with the junkies and the really evil bad men was as described.

I ask you,could a businessman even think about transporting such a thing, knowing the penalties, AND a drug neither used nor popular in the UK because of its low quality?? and where's the profit versus risk in such a tiny amount???? Also, a businessman with money would have transported a lot more and used a ' mule' not carried it himself, if that is how he earned a living! Yes or not???

The drug of choice in the UK would have been Ecstasy or Cocaine, not bloody crap Yaa Baa used by the street kids of Sunnee Plaza and Klong Toey,the slum area of Bangkok. I have never used drugs and they hold no interest to me,never have. In junior years I used to be an athlete, box and play Rugby.

C'est La fucking Vie, as I said before.

a447
May 22nd, 2011, 20:47
yaraboy - are those hotels "gay friendly?"
I emailed a hotel in laos (that's where I've now decided to go, after a few days in Bangkok) and asked them about their policy re: taking a guy back. They said it was against the law but suggested you could take a guy back to some of the guesthouses.
Do you know about any of these? The hotel I emailed suggested that I could stay overnight with a gay partner but not drag someone back from a bar.

Also, I have been reading on the net that the fountain downtown in Vientiane is a place to meet guys for some fun. Do you know about this place?

christianpfc
May 22nd, 2011, 22:22
I spent some days in Laos in January and wrote a report about it, you might find it helpful:

http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2542

Khor tose
May 22nd, 2011, 23:46
thonglor55,

It will be a pleasure to give you people a full trip report, probably ongoing as well.I fully intend to get the one year Cambodia visa.

Hey you can't leave the board until we get our trip report. A promise is a promise. Please :bounce:

May 26th, 2011, 06:55
Hey you can't leave the board until we get our trip report. A promise is a promise. Please :bounce:

OK,

I'll ake sure you get a detailed report,although I think I am changing some travel plans and may be headed for Bali and Philippines as Laos is sounding too quiet and Cambodia may not be developed enough for me.

thonglor55
May 26th, 2011, 14:24
... Cambodia may not be developed enough for me.Phnom Penh is certainly not somewhere for the pedestrian. If you think the most adventurous thing you can do in Bangkok is try to cross the road, wait until you try PP's streets.

May 27th, 2011, 17:09
... Cambodia may not be developed enough for me.Phnom Penh is certainly not somewhere for the pedestrian. If you think the most adventurous thing you can do in Bangkok is try to cross the road, wait until you try PP's streets.

Hi,

Just finished reading a book on Phnom Penn.It sounds like Thailand in its infancy. Also, the author actually indulged in the sex,drugs and rock n roll.

Good book,he was there in 1997 when the troubles kicked off again and slates Hun Sen something wicked. His summary was its a great place if you want a no holds barred, lawless lifestyle and wish to fall off the edge of the World!

Sen Yai
May 27th, 2011, 20:04
Just finished reading a book on Phnom Penn.......... His summary was its a great place if you want a no holds barred, lawless lifestyle and wish to fall off the edge of the World!

Was it this one? If not, I think you would enjoy it too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/offtherails.jpg

May 27th, 2011, 20:15
Sen yai,

That's the one!