PDA

View Full Version : Thaitowns in your Country

May 1st, 2011, 17:45
Do you have a ThaiTown in your City?They are apparently becoming as frequent as ChinaTowns now in many large Cities across the globe.

I have come across a rather interesting link via Stickman Bangkok's website regarding Thais living abroad,the writer in his possibly narrow opinion states that all Thais living abroad in Western Countries are involved in scams and corruption and cites LA as an example.
A rather interesting browse if you have time.

The writer claims the Thais abroad are not friendly and are do everything illegal to stay in the Country.

Maybe in the future those who are lucky enough to live near a Thaitown may not have to travel all the way to Thailand for boys.
I would not doubt there are gay thai massage shops in these areas,obviously at a lot more cost!

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersS ... er6490.htm (http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersSubmissions2010/reader6490.htm)

May 1st, 2011, 18:17
Do you have a ThaiTown in your City?They are apparently becoming as frequent as ChinaTowns now in many large Cities across the globe.

I have come across a rather interesting link via Stickman Bangkok's website regarding Thais living abroad,the writer in his possibly narrow opinion states that all Thais living abroad in Western Countries are involved in scams and corruption and cites LA as an example.
A rather interesting browse if you have time.

The writer claims the Thais abroad are not friendly and are do everything illegal to stay in the Country.

Maybe in the future those who are lucky enough to live near a Thaitown may not have to travel to Thailand for boys.
I certainly would not doubt there are gay thai massage shops in these areas,obviously at a lot more cost!

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersS ... er6490.htm (http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersSubmissions2010/reader6490.htm)

Hi,

The ones I have met are usually married to Foreigners or are students from wealthy families, neither of these groups,in my opinion, would be interested in any form of sex scene with the local population.

Beachlover
May 1st, 2011, 20:09
Sydney, Australia has a large population of Thais, which has exploded in recent years. There's a strip of businesses in the Sydney CBD (central business district) nicknamed "Thai Town". It's been growing steadily and contains Thai restaurants, Thai massage places, Thai grocery stories, Thai cafes and various other businesses run by Thais. There are a few universities and private colleges nearby and a lot of Thai students also live around there.

Outside "Thai Town, there are Thai restaurants all over Sydney and now there's a joke going around that since they ran out of corners to open Thai restaurants they're doing the same thing with Thai massage places. Five years ago I remember the first few Thai massage places opening in the CBD. Now the city is saturated with them so they've started opening Thai massage places out in the suburbs too. I think it's cool!

Aside from Thai restaurants and Thai massage places I've seen Thais running a variety of other non Thai related businesses quite successfully.

I've seen and met quite a few Thais in other Australian cities too but I think Sydney has the most. I love being around Thai people so I think it's fantastic invasion!

--

Many of the Thais I meet came here to study and are either still studying or have graduated and decided to stay here. Others come here for other reasons and use study as a means to stay in the country legitimately.

There's a bit of a miss-conception that only wealthy Thais go abroad to study/work. This isn't true. When I was in university, most of the Thai students I met seemed to be from wealthy families as it was a top uni, which charged very high fees to foreign students.

Now, most of the Thai students I meet aren't from wealthy families. So they attend more affordable private colleges or second-rate university campuses. Most get some support from home and a few support themselves fully. I've no idea how they manage, especially when private college fees are a fairly hefty expense, so I really admire this.

--

My current Thai boyfriend came here to study and gain a qualification, which will be more valuable than that, which he gained in Thailand. He is semi-supported by his parents (who are neither rich or poor). Midway through his studies, he managed to get a job with a good company, partly through a connection but also through his own merit (he is very personable and his English is excellent). The job is part time but when he graduates he'll have great potential to move up within this company/industry.

When we go out we tend to stick to fairly affordable places and share most expenses. But occasionally if I treat him to somewhere expensive or there's a major expense like a night in a B&B/hotel away somewhere, I'll cover it because it's just not something he could normally afford as a student. His parents have never been here and he hasn't been back to Thailand since he came here (in fact I've been to Thailand more times than he has in the time since he's been here LOL).

May 2nd, 2011, 00:12
My current Thai boyfriend
That's a telling and Freudian choice of phrase. Most people would have said "my Thai boyfriend". The term "current" suggests one in a long string of many.
Is that because you dump them when it gets too serious so as to maintain your closeted existence?
Or more likely, that once they get to know you better they dump you?

fedssocr
May 2nd, 2011, 00:44
I know there are several large Thai populations around the US. I think most of them either run restaurants or are college students. In the Washington DC area you can't go more than a couple of blocks without running into another Thai restaurant. There is also a Thai temple in the area. But I don't think we have a real "Thai town" with a big concentration of Thais. they spread out around the area. I think Korea Towns and Little Saigons are more prevalent in the US.

There is even a Thai temple in Florida about a block from my parents' home which I believe serves a large portion of the state.

In the last few years there have been tours of Thai rock and pop artists that make 6 or 7 stops around the US. ModernDog was here 2 years ago. Potato is coming later this year after canceling a tour last year. Groove Riders will be here soon. Several others have been here too. The shows seem to be well-attended. The couple of ModernDog shows I went to were pretty well packed (in DC and NYC) and from the YouTube videos it looked like the other stops were sold out too.

thonglor55
May 2nd, 2011, 09:58
Sydney, Australia has a large population of Thais, which has exploded in recent years. There's a strip of businesses in the Sydney CBD (central business district) nicknamed "Thai Town". It's been growing steadily and contains Thai restaurants, Thai massage places, Thai grocery stories, Thai cafes and various other businesses run by Thais. There are a few universities and private colleges nearby and a lot of Thai students also live around there.A Thai ghetto in Sydney? I guess it's OK for non-white people to live in ghettos; apparently us white folk in Bangkok who happily live in a cultural ghetto are just unspeakably arrogant in what passes for the mind of posters like newalaan. Is that because he believes that white folk should be held to a higher standard than other races? Mind you, reading his posts it seems he spends all of his time in Thailand in the money boy ghetto.

My current Thai boyfriend That's a telling and Freudian choice of phrase. Most people would have said "my Thai boyfriend". The term "current" suggests one in a long string of many. Is that because you dump them when it gets too serious so as to maintain your closeted existence? Or more likely, that once they get to know you better they dump you?Yes, have you introduced him to Mummy and Daddy, and if so how did you explain him away? And have you told him about your ONS with homintern?

cameroncat
May 2nd, 2011, 12:05
We have the largest population of Thais outside Thailand here in Los Angeles. Still, the "Thai Town" area is small compared to the China Town area...