PDA

View Full Version : Whisky by the bottle available in clubs but in bars?

lonelywombat
April 26th, 2011, 07:28
I have a trolly friend who goes to bars in Shinjuka [japan] where almost only JW Whisky is sold by the bottle. A voucher is given with a number on it and you present the voucher next drink or visit.

He shares his voucher around with fellow trolly dollies and as all white faces look alike nothing, is ever said,

I have seen this in dance bars/discos in Pattaya but as I am not a whisky drinker never really looked at the costs or benefits. A english teacher from BKK gave me his voucher one morning at Two Guys, as he was not returning in time to finish quarter full bottle before use by date. I ended up sharing with thai boys on the next table.

Would there be room for a bar that did similar in Boyztown, Sunee or Jomtien. My first thought what a great idea for Cafe Royale. Maybe for the overheads it needs to be a bar with out go go or shows. Perhaps it could use freelancers as waiters similar to say La Cage.

Perhaps some of the disco bunnies could outline what it costs overall when you add on ice and splits, and whether it actualy works.

francois
April 26th, 2011, 10:59
For sure the Corner Bar in Sunee Plaza in Pattaya, but I believe common in many bars.

April 26th, 2011, 11:11
For sure the Corner Bar in Sunee Plaza in Pattaya, but I believe common in many bars.

Hi,

It is common in nearly all bars in Asia to buy your bottle of JW and if you do not finish it, put your name on it and consume it after purchasing ice and mixers on your next visit.

They do have time limits as a rule which can vary from one week to a month. If not drunk by this date, it is back on ther shelf and sold by the bar.

You may if you wish take your bottle with you on leaving the establishment after your evening out.

lonelywombat
April 26th, 2011, 11:33
Thanks Kevin and Francois maybe I just was not taking notice as the bottle would remain behind the bar.

Id like an idea as to costs, it must be profitable for both bar and customer!!! How do you pay for splits when you make a return visit?

PM asked me what is a trolly dolly. Air hostess or flight steward.

Beachlover
April 26th, 2011, 11:56
I believe common in many bars.
You're right. I think most bars and clubs will sell whiskey by the bottle if you ask. You can do this if you're with a group of friends or if you know you'll be going back to that bar as a regular.

The only time I've done this in Thailand is when going out to nightclubs/discos with a group of Thai boys. Buying a bottle of whiskey is better value for money than everyone buying individual drinks. You buy a bottle for maybe 1,500 or 2,500 and that'll keep everyone's glasses filled for a good time, sometimes all night.

Nightclubs often have an entry fee of 100 to 400 baht (which includes vouchers for 1-2 drinks). If you're in a group, you can negotiate to buy a bottle and that'll cover the entry fee for everyone (if it's not too big a group). If you don't finish the bottle, they'll store it for you. If you come back another night, they'll sometimes let a certain number of you in free of entry charge, depending on how much is left in the bottle you stored with them.

April 26th, 2011, 14:41
There is also the possibility to bring your own bottle. In that case you pay a certain "cork fee" which includes a set of mixers.
I know that T&S used to charge a cork-fee of THB 550 for a set. (3+ years ago).

lonelywombat
April 26th, 2011, 14:51

How does it work at Corner Bar or any other bar.

April 26th, 2011, 15:21
Well LW, like with anything the price varies.

You can pay anything between 2000 and 3000B for a bottle of JWBL in Pattaya. Red Label I would expect to be a bit cheaper and 100 Pipers is probably the "house" brand, which I seem to recall mark at KD sometimes offers for well under 1000B

But lets take JWBL and let's take 2200 as a notional "average".

Bearing in mind the cost of 1 drink in a gogo might be a notional 180B, and calculating that at a generous 35ml a shot, theres 20 shots in a bottle, then buying singly you'd pay 6300B for the same quantity - so there's quite a saving. Even at an incredibly low 100B a shot, you'd pay 3500B. With other whiskies the saving might be less, or more.

The way it normally works is that all mixers are included ON THE DAY. If you don't finish the bottle, and come back the next day for example, you pay for new mixers.

For nightclubs, your best bet is to actually take your own bottle with you. I remember when I used to frequent Hollywood, the booze boutique across the road did a good trade!! In that case you paid for the mixers and as Kev says there may also be a "corkage" charge, I don't remember.

I have tosay that it's not a practice I adopt generally, I would only buy a bottle if I was intending to make a night of it in the one establishment, but that's just me. Can I also say that the examples I have given are just from my own experience - I've no doubt there are other deals and other restrictions elsewhere.

:occasion9:

cdnmatt
April 26th, 2011, 15:56
Honestly, I don't know of a single bar / club that doesn't either sell bottles of whiskey, or allow you to bring them in. And if they don't have any bottles in stock, most times one of the staff will rush out, and get whatever you're looking for. That's usually stupid to do though, because they'll charge you like 300 baht just to get the whiskey, plus another around 300 baht for the privilege of opening it in their bar. Better to pick it up from a 7/11 on your way. Whether or not they allow you to leave it there for another day is on a bar-by-bar basis.

That's one of the reasons you see all those little "carts" beside the tables at Thai bars and restaurants. That's for your drinks. They're not very big on the single glass drinks, like in the West. Whether that's coke, water, beer, or whiskey, it's a large bottle or nothing. :)

It's just part of the communal nature. You don't get your own drink, and everyone drinks from the same bottle. Same with food. You never get your own singular plate of food, and everyone just shares what's in the middle of the table. It's one of the many reasons I love Thailand, actually. None of that isolation bullshit, like the West has.

joe552
April 26th, 2011, 18:15
I've done this with whiskey at nightclubs, but is it done with other spirits, say vodka or gin?

April 26th, 2011, 18:37
I've done this with whiskey at nightclubs, but is it done with other spirits, say vodka or gin?

Hi,

Yes and the price varies of course but considerably cheaper than JWB.

I might as well tell you all a trick or the trade is the waiter is next to your table to keep topping you up to get the bottle finished faster, he's not there for for good service or your incredible looks, unless you're Beachy of course!... :laughing3:

April 26th, 2011, 18:40
The aforementioned waiter (and his workmates) always seem to drink more of the bottle than I do anyway!

But that's part of the fun.

:laughing3:

April 26th, 2011, 18:46
The aforementioned waiter (and his workmates) always seem to drink more of the bottle than I do anyway!

But that's part of the fun.

:laughing3:

I used to tell them to!......................... :laughing3:

April 26th, 2011, 20:25

If they have what type you want then yes you will be able to buy the bottle.

lonelywombat
April 26th, 2011, 20:30
I am a beer drinker mainly but G&T if all night. Are you saying I can buy a bottle of good gin, same basis?

April 26th, 2011, 20:39
Hmmm! Well I can only speak for my bar.
We sell any of our stock by the bottle and always have a spare bottle to sell if you ask for another kind like Gin, Vodka, Wine etc. we have just about all of them.
The waiters in my bar do not stand around asking for drinks as they, like the boys are not allowed to approach customers unless asked to do so. UNLIKE many of the other bars, where mixers are free on the night of the bottle being opened or extra, our bar allows for mixers as long as you have spirits in your bottle BUT we do not permit mixers such as Coke or Soda Water being drank alone and without mixers. We top off drinks periodically to show you that we are attentive to you and not for the purpose of rushing you through your bottle.

Our bottles are on special this next month for 999 baht with coupon for 100 Pipers. Free mixers. Most of our bottles are 1,200 including JWRL and black is 1,500.
If you are looking to have a good time with some freinds or just a place to store a bottle that you buy from us, we would be happy if you consider HAPPY PLACE.
:alc:

francois
April 26th, 2011, 22:02

How does it work at Corner Bar or any other bar.

Not sure of exact procedure but was informed by the owner, Michael, that it is done. For me it is easier and cheaper to just buy his Remy Martin cognac by the glass.

April 26th, 2011, 22:41
I am a beer drinker mainly but G&T if all night. Are you saying I can buy a bottle of good gin, same basis?

Yes,

Wombat you can.

martin911
April 27th, 2011, 00:13
Buying by the bottle is common everywhere in Thailand from what ive seen ,its much cheaper and leads to more interaction at the tables as well ,i dont buy bottles in the bars(so i cant comment on prices there ) only the clubs ,and they run good promotions from time to time

eg up to last month in Nab club is was possible to get 2 bottles of Chivas for 1555b,(no mixers/ice inc )--but u had to leave the unfinished bottles in the club!!-- (they would hold the bottle for up to 2 months for you )--current promo is for 1 bottle Chivas+7 mixers/1 bucket ice for 1650 approx

I think in Dave club its about 1200 for JWR/6mixers/ice --but i think Colmx is a better authority on that given all the bottles he bought there on his recent voyage to Pattaya :laughing3: :laughing3:

T T is the cheapest --1 bottle 100 pipers + 4 mixers/1 bucket ice for 650b all ----
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly a bottle can be drank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 27th, 2011, 02:03
T T is the cheapest --1 bottle 100 pipers + 4 mixers/1 bucket ice for 650b all ----

Sounds good, but dont sell us so cheap. 4 mixers would mean maybe a coke and 3 soda waters? Certainly you will go through that and more. The same goes for 1 bucket of ice?
A better bet would be unlimited mixersand ice for as long as you have spirits in that bottle for only 999. Only 349 difference.
:alc:

DCbob
April 27th, 2011, 04:55

Yes, I have Absolute vodka in one place.
I have Tanqueray gin in another.
That way I have choices as to what I want and then go to that place.
I save a little money, but the main thing is that I have what I want always available.

newalaan
April 27th, 2011, 16:35
I might as well tell you all a trick or the trade is the waiter is next to your table to keep topping you up to get the bottle finished faster, he's not there for for good serviceKevin, that's hardly a trick of the trade, it's probably the most obvious thing I came across when visiting the 'hollywood' style venues when i first came to Thailand. It's not even subtle. Frantic whiskying, icing, coking, watering then stirring of glasses, the ice bucket whisked away whether emptly or not, and later as the customers get tipsy, we have the rock/paper/sissors routine which is often started by the waiters to get the shots going. But it 'goes with the territory' of clubbing, if only it wasn't quite so blatent in some establishments.
or your incredible looks unless you're Beachy of course!... Not quite sure how sarky this is intended to be, but given that Beachlovers avator is not him, and nobody has ever admitted to seeing him, there is no reason whatsoever to think that Beachlover is an attractive young thing. That is certainly what he would like us to believe. But unfortunately no proof to confirm it one way or another. His avator is a bit of a con to get us to buy into the 'BL image'. I admit to keeping my distance from other farang when on holiday, but even keeping a low profile, there are bar owners who would know who I am, two board members here I have met up with, hotel managers/owners who post here, it's very odd that nobody has ever cast eyes on him. As far as we are led to believe that is.

Combat is the only member/farang who has been prepared to confirm Beachlovers status, but on what basis he will not say. Even he won't go into any details, such as has he actually seen him? Beachlover gets very 'in' with many members here, PM's flashing back and fore yet this 'cosy' cyberspace interaction has never resulted even in one live interaction. Forget the deflection of stalkers, nutters etc..it would be incredibly easy to meet up with even one board member or introduce himself to one bar owner without placing himself in imminent danger.
I've done this with whiskey at nightclubs, but is it done with other spirits, say vodka or gin?Yes, all bars have at least 2 Vodka types one or two Gins, Brandy available as a bottle set. Many now have a very good choice with often a 'house' Vodka/Gin and two premium Absolut/Smirnoff. Sometimes there are 'special promotion nights' such as with Absolut Vodka at clubs/bars.Thanks to the 'Eastern Bloc' element, Vodka sets were very popular on my last visit, saw a few at Panorama and then at NAB.
I save a little money, but the main thing is that I have what I want always available.A good reason in itself to keep a bottle aside. Unfortunatley my favourite non-whisky tipple, Morgans Spice Rum is not available in Thailand (unless anyone knows differently). The closest Thai equivalent is SangSom as it too is a rum based drink.

April 27th, 2011, 16:52
Unfortunatley my favourite non-whisky tipple, Morgans Spice Rum is not available in Thailand (unless anyone knows differently). The closest Thai equivalent is SangSom as it too is a rum based drink.
I spoke to 2 very large distributors and inquired for you. Unfortunately, Morgans Spiced Rum is no longer made or available in Thailand. On a personal level, next time one of my freinds come over which should be in June, I will have him bring over 2 bottles and sell one or both of them to you personally. As I have boxes coming over all the time, I can check if it is legal to send over a bottle or two so I can have it before June.
:dontknow:

colmx
April 28th, 2011, 03:18
I think in Dave club its about 1200 for JWR/6mixers/ice --but i think Colmx is a better authority on that given all the bottles he bought there on his recent voyage to Pattaya :laughing3: :laughing3:

Dave has gone up to 1300 now for the JWR/6mixers/ice
I usually figure that its around 2000B to drain the Bottle of all its contents

We regularly open 100 pipers in Mic My @1000B for the 700ml + all ice and mixers
The thing i like about Mic My is that the boys can join you for free to drink the bottle.
i.e. No boy drinks required

Some bars (x-boys, WWB and Nice boys - and probably others) make you buy a gogo boy a full price drink before they can join you and drink the whiskey

Having 3-4 boys over for a drink is a good way to get to know them :alc:

April 28th, 2011, 05:04
Unfortunatley my favourite non-whisky tipple, Morgans Spice Rum is not available in Thailand (unless anyone knows differently). The closest Thai equivalent is SangSom as it too is a rum based drink.
I spoke to 2 very large distributors and inquired for you. Unfortunately, Morgans Spiced Rum is no longer made or available in Thailand. On a personal level, next time one of my freinds come over which should be in June, I will have him bring over 2 bottles and sell one or both of them to you personally. As I have boxes coming over all the time, I can check if it is legal to send over a bottle or two so I can have it before June.
:dontknow:

justme,

You weren't allowed to do that before,not sure about now but doubt if its changed.

The customers could bring it for their own consumption in their room but not kept in a bar as there are import tax implications and your competitors may get on the phone to the local inspectors,then you are in a World of expensive shit!

Be careful.......

Hi newalaan,

I think you know 95% of what I say is either tongue in cheek,loaded questioning or just plain cheeky!... :sunny:

Beachlover
April 28th, 2011, 11:42
there is no reason whatsoever to think that Beachlover is an attractive young thing.
Correct... But why poke at it unless you've actually met me? Am I attractive? I think I'm reasonably good looking but not stunning or anything. Do I have any issue picking up cute boys in gay clubs around the world? No, never been difficult for me. Do I pick up every boy I hit on? No, been rejected plenty of times. I don't boast about my looks here and the only clue to how I look are a few accounts I've posted of my experiences with the nightlife in Thailand/Asia... so why pick at it?

I admit to keeping my distance from other farang when on holiday, but even keeping a low profile, there are bar owners who would know who I am, two board members here I have met up with, hotel managers/owners who post here, it's very odd that nobody has ever cast eyes on him.
How is that odd? How many bar owners are there here? Mark? Yes, I've been to his bar, no I had no desire to say hello. Justme? Yes, I'd say hello to him but I haven't been to Pattaya for a year and a half (not a frequent destination for me) and he only started posting here a few months ago.

I'm sure some farang here has laid eyes on me before but really, I don't look much different to the millions of other Asian boys in Thailand. Most Thais seem to think I speak Thai unless I speak English first and the last time I was in Bangkok a farang at DJ Station kept thinking I was Thai until I yelled an explanation in his ear. In Phuket, vendors think I'm Japanese, in Singapore they think I'm Indonesian, in Malaysia they think I'm Malaysian and in Vietnam tourists asked if I could be their guide... go figure.

Honestly folks, if you want to believe I'm an 80-year old grandpa, go ahead. I'm not going to prove you wrong anytime soon.

His avator is a bit of a con
Geez, Alaan... Aren't you trying a bit hard to find something to pick at?

I saw the picture on a blog one day and thought it would make a nice avatar. It's obvious the picture isn't me. Lots of members here use pictures of attractive boys in their avatars. Would it please you if my avatar was something like one of these fine chaps instead? :rolling:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WAIyd-SgW9A/SF-2-5aDeVI/AAAAAAAAAcY/G8ojgfVCFVs/s320/n10-lewd-US-cameraman.jpg

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2010/Thailand-Farang.jpg

http://thailandtimes.asia/files/2010/05/Briton-Jeff-Savage.jpg

anonone
May 30th, 2011, 07:57
Got a question about bottles of whiskey in the bars, and I am sure the wise and experienced members here can cure my curiosity.

Do the guys of the bar (waiter, gogo dancer, whatever) get any baht for helping a customer drink their bottle? I know when I buy an individual drink for them, they get some type of small cut from the cost. True for a bottle? Is it enough that they get "free" drinks, or do they get anything from the bar?

Curious as to how this works....

I have purchased bottles at the after hour places, just have not really thought of doing it at KD, Happy Place, etc.

May 30th, 2011, 08:04
They get 20 baht in our bar for drinks but nothing for bottles.

daa raa
May 30th, 2011, 15:31
In some bars if you buy a bottle then invite a boy to come drink with you the bar will charge you the cost of a "boy drink". This happened to me recently at Lucky 7. This is the only time that this has happend to me and I do not believe it is the normal policy in most bars.

anonone
May 30th, 2011, 16:12
Thanks for the info.

I like the idea of getting a bottle and will try it out on my next visit. I will probably adjust my tipping upward a bit to compensate the guy(s) for missed individual drink income. I am sure I over-think this stuff too much, but very helpful for me to know how things work.

May 30th, 2011, 17:41
I guess the reason they dont get anything for the bottle is because customers generally come in and order a bottle and then later decide which boys they are going to share it with. Its better to not worry about who shares and who doesnt and stick with the 20 baht if you smile and are sexy enough that they want you to sit with them and drink with you.