PDA

View Full Version : Pour House new bar Jomtien Complex

lonelywombat
April 25th, 2011, 12:13
I noticed that details of the new bar Pour House was posted to GT,GBT and TT but not here.
For those who appreciate reading something more positive than the pissing contests between you know who here, here is the full post by Ganymeade-Jomtien.
[attachment=0:29hlryfn]pourhouse_5.jpg[/attachment:29hlryfn]

Just for beachlover, this was cut and pasted and pics downloaded from GT.

Jomtien Complex welcomed it's newest Bar on Saturday, April 23 - The Pour House. Located across the street from Ganymede Bar & Residence, The Pour House promises to be a great new watering hole for ex-pats and visitors alike.

While the Pour House is a Gay Bar, it is not a "Boy Bar". Think of it more as a place where you can meet up with friends, or even take your Boyfriend to, without feeling pressured into buying the staff "boy drinks".

While the official Grand Opening Party is still weeks away, The Pour House is open for business with a friendly, smiling staff, good drink prices, a large 50" TV above the bar, Pool Table, Popcorn Machine, Electronic Dart Board and comfortable seating. The Bar Opens daily from 5pm.

In the coming days, the Terrace Bar will open, a stage for shows will be built and regular events nights will be announced.

The Long Bar is proving to be a very popular spot to "belly up" as is the newly built community table in the room's center. The decor is Green & Gold with beautiful wood ceiling and trim work. While not air conditioned, the numerous ceiling fans kept the place quite comfortable even on a hot, muggy April night.

The Drink menu currently is basic - Beer (Draft & Bottle), House Red & White Wine, Mixed Drinks and soft drinks - this is not a Martini Bar and doesn't pretend to be. Happy Hour Specials on Draft Beer (By the glass or Pitcher) are available from 5pm - 8pm daily. Of course, the Popcorn is free!!

While other areas have seen a downturn it business (and closings), Jomtien Complex has seen a resurgence of late with quite a number of new establishments opening in the past few months (Spilia Karaoke, Themae Sauna, QM Bar, Pattaya Hotmale, Pour House). Even more gay owned businesses are opening soon.

The great thing about Jomtien Complex is that it offers you not only a very diverse Bar scene -, you can find a variety of great places to eat, accommodations (at reasonable prices) and it's only a five minute walk from the world famous Gay Beach.

So the next time you are in Jomtien Beach, take a stroll down to "The Pour House" in Jomtien Complex, you'll find it will be a "rich" experience.

zinzone
April 25th, 2011, 12:52
Looking at the photo's I have to say it would be more appropriate if the name of the bar was spelt:

"Poor House"

Fortunately most of us have got better things to do with our lives than visit a bar in a run down Jomtien Ghetto which appears to attract the lowest level of farang losers.

Patexpat
April 25th, 2011, 13:20
Looking at the photo's I have to say it would be more appropriate if the name of the bar was spelt:

"Poor House"

Fortunately most of us have got better things to do with our lives than visit a bar in a run down Jomtien Ghetto which appears to attract the lowest level of farang losers.

Not that I'm a great bar go-er, but what bars WOULD you recommend then?

witchhunt
April 25th, 2011, 14:29
While the official Grand Opening Party is still weeks away, The Pour House is open for business with a friendly, smiling staff, good drink prices, a large 50" TV above the bar, Pool Table, Popcorn Machine, Electronic Dart Board and comfortable seating. The Bar Opens daily from 5pm.

In the coming days, the Terrace Bar will open, a stage for shows will be built and regular events nights will be announced.

The Drink menu currently is basic - Beer (Draft & Bottle), House Red & White Wine, Mixed Drinks and soft drinks
this is not a Martini Bar and doesn't pretend to be. Happy Hour Specials on Draft Beer (By the glass or Pitcher) are available from 5pm - 8pm daily. Of course, the Popcorn is free!!

Fo fuck sake, it has just opened and it will be weeks before official opening.

Just enough time for fuckwits to get in and try and force it out of business, before it is up and running.

Zinzone have you been down to see for yourself or are you spitting bile from overseas

newalaan
April 25th, 2011, 16:48
this was cut and pasted and pics downloaded from GT.Thanks for the 'heads up', this is the type of info i keep in touch with the forums for. Haven't visited Jomtien for quite a few of the most recent Thaiand trips, it's maybe worth a look round on the next one. On previous visits although it was quiet, many of staff in the bars were very nice, both in attitude and attractivness. It's just probably been just down laziness for me to bother with baht buses there and back when everything else is an easy walk from Day/night area.

Looking at the photo's I have to say it would be more appropriate if the name of the bar was spelt: "Poor House" Fortunately most of us have got better things to do with our lives than visit a bar in a run down Jomtien Ghetto which appears to attract the lowest level of farang losers.I'm not exactly sure what the motive would be for a poster to criticise a bar he hasn't been to, an area he obviously does not like and so would never visit and therefore have no experience whatsoever about the area to call on, and then insult any potential farang customers who might want to go there. Apart from the arrogance, pompousness and ignorance of the poster, I can't think what would cause a muttonheaded response like that.

Just enough time for fuckwits to get in and try and force it out of business, before it is up and running.Low-and-behold the first fuckwit appearance.........in the guise of zinzone.

lonelywombat
April 25th, 2011, 18:55
this is the type of info i keep in touch with the forums for. Haven't visited Jomtien for quite a few of the most recent Thaiand trips, it's maybe worth a look round on the next one. On previous visits although it was quiet, many of staff in the bars were very nice, both in attitude and attractivness. It's just probably been just down laziness for me to bother with baht buses there and back when everything else is an easy walk from Day/night area.

I have been wondering since that was first posted , is this the old Pagoda site. I have only had 3 meals in that soi. The first was a stone grill which I really enjoyed. the second I cannot remember the name and Pagoda. Opposite Ganymedes, the pics do not help my recall. The one thing that is highlighted for me is that there is excellent dining in Jomtien and Jomtien Complex, that gets little publicity on the gay forums. I wonder how many visiting the Venue know of that little soi? Makes a great night , good dining plus the show at Venue.

frequentflier
April 25th, 2011, 21:01
Best of Luck to Pour House.Hope you do well.Ignore the adverse comments.See you soon...

CoffeeBreak
April 25th, 2011, 23:10
Come on guys, take a look at the pictures. The bar looks 3rd rate!

krobbie
April 26th, 2011, 02:36
It's just a reinvention of the public bar in hotels in most Commonwealth countries but for gay men and women. I think it's a great idea. Keeping the overheads low means you can meet up with your friends for a drink without the frills and the prices will be reflective of that.

The wit that came up with name is quite clever, although the graphics leave a lot to be desired.

A bloody good idea IMHO.

Cheers
Krobbie

gaymandenmark
April 26th, 2011, 04:58
zinzone:
"Fortunately most of us have got better things to do with our lives than visit a bar in a run down Jomtien Ghetto which appears to attract the lowest level of farang losers."

Hmm, how do you know if it will attract the lowest levels of farang losers.
I think it is a great idee to open a no frill watering hole, not go-go and maybe without host.
From the pics, It looks like lokal bars are seen all around Thailand.

I am shit tired of gogo and host bars and it is not easy to find in Boyztown and Sunnee, it could infact be the new idee, to impact both the areas.

I will sure visit it on my next visit to Pattaya and see from myself, than to post negative commends, before knowng how it will bee in the future.

And I ask for succes to anyone who try to start something new.

bucknaway
April 26th, 2011, 08:01
Sounds like the makings of a place that we all have said we wanted. I am looking forward to visiting this new place.

blueboy
April 26th, 2011, 08:17
Is the main road finished yet?

if not how do you get there?

zinzone
April 26th, 2011, 09:50
gaymandenmark writes:

"I am shit tired of gogo and host bars and it is not easy to find in Boyztown and Sunnee, it could infact be the new idee, to impact both the areas."

-Well if that's the case stay at home in your own boring little country and go to the bars there.

zinzone
April 26th, 2011, 09:54
Patexpat asks:
"Not that I'm a great bar go-er, but what bars WOULD you recommend then?"

Answer:

Any bar not in the Jomtien ghetto.

Next,

Patexpat
April 26th, 2011, 09:58
Patexpat asks:
"Not that I'm a great bar go-er, but what bars WOULD you recommend then?"

Answer:

Any bar not in the Jomtien ghetto.

Next,

So the Sunee ghetto, and BT ghetto is fine then? That's all I need to know ...

thonglor55
April 26th, 2011, 10:00
Fortunately most of us have got better things to do with our lives than visit a bar in a run down Jomtien Ghetto which appears to attract the lowest level of farang losers.The run-of-the-mill Pattaya resident?

Beachlover
April 26th, 2011, 11:41
a bar in a run down Jomtien Ghetto which appears to attract the lowest level of farang losers.

So the Sunee ghetto, and BT ghetto is fine then? That's all I need to know ...
Woah! Careful, folks. With comments like these you might attract some "love" from Constable Surfcrest. :rolling:

(Yes, I'm taking the piss... go nuts if you want.) :rolling:

April 26th, 2011, 14:50
Zinzone.......? Or should it be Cinzano (more classy if you deserve it).

I hardly go out, but if I go I go to Jomtien Complex. It's rather quiet and there's a good mix of mixed bars and gay-bars, which keeps the area from turning into a certain ghetto.
Sunnee appears to me as if it is a play-ground for upcoming "social workers" and in BoyzTown, it seems that I enter some kind of area for "social workers" on their return. Boys don't interact and spend more time with their friends than with a possible customer; let's call it a lack of interest. Of course there are exceptions.

Regarding Jomtien Cplx..........a few years ago there was this plan to refurbish the "mall" and parking-lot in the centre of JC. They have done some jobs in there, but it's far from finished. Sure it would be a great help if that would come to an end.

lonelywombat
April 26th, 2011, 15:18
Interesting comment made by an expat visiting Melbourne ATM, part of the problem with numbers in Boyztown is many of the expats are becoming more and more comfortable on the beach side of the hill, and visit Boyztown less and less.

It was the loss of the 2 Ians and Robbie and then Mike, David and later Terry dropping out of My Life plus the arrival of the Venue and Bondi that started it off. He claims the reduced numbers of expats is what makes soi 3 look even more empty. Plus the fact the dining is more varied and parking is not a problem.

As the complex is forbidden to have gogo, why do people want, expect , demand any new bar to be of the standard they believe the expats would be comfortable in.

Best of luck to the owners of Pour House for having a go.

gaymandenmark
April 26th, 2011, 16:06
gaymandenmark writes:

"I am shit tired of gogo and host bars and it is not easy to find in Boyztown and Sunnee, it could infact be the new idee, to impact both the areas."

-Well if that's the case stay at home in your own boring little country and go to the bars there.

Zinizone, what at stupied remark, and why should I stay home when I love to visit Thailand, but have no interest in gogo and host bars.? I have been there and done it all. Now I prefer to pay less in no frill bars or maybe more in upmarket bars, and infact, I have found out, have more fun at the same time. Also with locals, who dont have the words "for sale" written all over. I have no problem finding bed companions of my very good taste, even if I dont frequent gogo and very seldom visit host bars.
What a narrow minded person you are.

In Bangkok and Chiang Mai I can go to gay bars who are not go go and host, although having freelancers, why should it not be possible in Pattaya? Maybe, in fact I would, then spend some of my hard earned money there.

zinzone
April 26th, 2011, 16:14
"Zinizone, what at stupied remark,"

You cannot spell my name correctly and there is no such word as "stupied" and that is just for starters. The rest of your post is the worst English I have ever seen.
You sound like someone well suited to visiting this new bar.

April 26th, 2011, 16:22
Ok, so some people like to spend their time in gogo bars, some in host bars, and others obviously want something different.

My take on this is that it's all good and whatever floats your boat etc.

BUT I do have to say that the purpose of publicity photgraphs is normally to attract customers, not chase them away - which I'm afraid is the effect that the Pour House photos have had on me. I'm sorry, but to me it just looks like a North of England Working Men's Club - I half expected to see Dominoes and Shove Ha'Penny on the tables.

It won't stop me visiting at some point when I happen to be in the area, but I won't be making any effort, and unfortunately for Pour House I struggle to believe that relying on the Jomtien resident ex-pats will be sufficient to make it a viable enterprise. I base my opinion on noticing that any time I have frequented Jomtien Complex it's basically empty with very little to attract me. I did enjoy the show at Venue last year, but when it was over, that was it - back to BT or Sunee for me - and I haven't been back since, because there is nothing in JC that I cannot get in BT or Sunnee, better and more of it.

:dontknow:

homeseeker
April 27th, 2011, 09:23
A few days ago I went to meet some friends in Jomtien and whilst it is not my favorite area they persuaded me to take a walk around the complex and one of the places visited was this new bar, though I only realized the name of the bar after viewing this web site. The complex as a whole(not hole haha) does appear to be in need of some urgent attention though perhaps too harsh to call it a slum.

Anyway we stopped by this Pour House for a few beers. Some rather strange individuals seem to be frequenting the place. There was a couple of elderly westerners in a heated exchange and talking loudly. Seems it was a dispute about a Thai boy and one of the them was berating the other about paying the boy a tip of more than 400 baht.
One of my friends was made to feel quite uncomfortable as there was another customer sitting on his own in the bar dressed in a vest and wearing dirty shorts and flip flops who kept eye balling my friend. My friend is fairly muscular, boyish and tanned so maybe that was the reason. But it did not make for a pleasant atmosphere.

Around 15 minutes after our arrival a very drunk middle aged guy was passing by the place and staggering. He vomited right onto the front entrance of the bar, before moving on.
The vomit stank and no staff member made any effort to clean up the mess.

We decided enough was enough and called for the check bin. A 1,000 baht note was given to pay the bill but when the change came back it was short by 500 baht. When we remonstrated with the waitor he looked sheepish but unsurprised . He then returned the right change.

So what is my verdict on the place?
Well I previously was not a fan of the complex and my visit to the place and this new bar has done nothing to change my view.

April 27th, 2011, 09:42
A 1,000 baht note was given to pay the bill but when the change came back it was short by 500 baht.

Seems to be a lot of this going around.

April 27th, 2011, 10:30
BUT I do have to say that the purpose of publicity photgraphs is normally to attract customers, not chase them away - which I'm afraid is the effect that the Pour House photos have had on me. I'm sorry, but to me it just looks like a North of England Working Men's Club - I half expected to see Dominoes and Shove Ha'Penny on the tables.

The pictures represent the actual situation at the moment.
The bar looks like a huge open space with some furniture here and there.
Nothing cosy about it, but as said in a previous post: The "hard" opening still has to come.

andrewcraig
April 27th, 2011, 11:41
the place has suddenly got interesting now that scotty does not like it. we rented a room last year a hop skip and a jump away and a pub rather than snooty place like scotty likes seems good value. not far to stagger home and for me another look at ganymede boys.

pennyboy
April 27th, 2011, 19:32
Out of interest, if this place is good value can someone provide the price for beer., whisky etc.

April 27th, 2011, 21:16
A 1,000 baht note was given to pay the bill but when the change came back it was short by 500 baht.

Seems to be a lot of this going around.

Well this sort of thing just wouldn't happen in Boyztown area.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
April 28th, 2011, 11:06
Some rather strange individuals seem to be frequenting the place... One of my friends was made to feel quite uncomfortable as there was another customer sitting on his own in the bar dressed in a vest and wearing dirty shorts and flip flops who kept eye balling my friend. My friend is fairly muscular, boyish and tanned so maybe that was the reason. But it did not make for a pleasant atmosphere... a very drunk middle aged guy was passing by the place and staggering. He vomited right onto the front entrance of the bar, before moving on.
LOL. Seems pretty normal for Pattaya... You just have to put up with it or go elsewhere.