PDA

View Full Version : Beach Holiday Where to go???

May 1st, 2006, 21:57
I have just got back from taking my b/f to CM and plan to take him to a nice quiet location somewhere in summer. can anyone recommend and island or beach retreat and hotel/bungalow? Krabi or phuket islands? Ideally I would like a bungalow type vacation but am not sure where to visit. somewhere reasonably classy but not costing me a small fortune. I have been to Pattaya few times before and would like somewhere not too commercial.

any web links would be very helpful. Hope someone can assist.

May 1st, 2006, 22:40
The question i forgot to ask was which areas are ok to vsist post tsunami?

May 1st, 2006, 23:36
The tsunami is not an issue. You'll never know it even happened.

May 1st, 2006, 23:52
I think probably the best of the islands are in the South, i.e. Phuket has a few islands nearby, as you said Krabi, which I believe is fabulous and not to far from Phuket. You could also try the islands around Malaysia, i.e. the North of Malaysia and obviously the south of Thailand, Penang that sort of thing.

May 1st, 2006, 23:55
Penang? Are you kidding? Lousy beaches and nothing resembling a bungalow in site.

Stick to Thailand. Check out Koh Lanta, Krabi, the islands off of Trang.

May 2nd, 2006, 01:04
We rather enjoyed a Bungalow at the Santiburi Resort on Koh Samui a few years ago. It was low season and there seemed to be few othe guests.

May 2nd, 2006, 04:41
Koh Chang is very nice and quiet. No nightlife to speak off. But a nice romantic place to bring a BF.

May 2nd, 2006, 06:52
I agree with JakeNasty and say Koh Chang. We stayed at Klong Prao in a bungalow which was very nice. The beach is beautiful and very peaceful. Our first choice was the Koh Chang Paradise Resort which has really nice looking bungalows. Unfortunately, it was sold out for the days we were there.

If I remember correctly, its about a 4 hour drive from Pattaya and a 45 minute ferry ride to the island. On the way back we stopped at some really beautiful waterfalls (don't remember the name). The Cambodian Border market is one the way also but we didn't check it out.

As stated earlier, don't expect much nightlife on Koh Chang except for some straight beer bars. My BF and I decided we want to go back soon but the next trip we'll be bringing 3 or 4 friends, renting two bungalows and making our own nightlife. Next trip we also want to rent a boat for a day of fishing. It rained the day we had planned for it last trip so we missed out.

May 2nd, 2006, 13:25
From the few places I have been in Thailand, I can recommend Phuket or the beaches around there (if you have transport). Phuket itself is much nicer, cleaner and easier to get around than Pattaya, although you will pay more for lodging and getting around by tuk tuk. The gay scene is smallish (basically one soi with a few more venues dotted around).

However, if you want to consider elsewhere in the world I can highly recommend Fiji. Avoid the main cities of Suva and Nandi and get out to the smaller islands. I went to the Yasawa Islands and stayed at one of the more remote islands in that group (Tavewa island) - get there by fast cat from the main island (3 to 5 hours depending on the sea) or by sea plane - 30 minutes. The island is small and has 3 very small tourist accommodation spots which are rarely filled. The accommodatiion is either in dorms (for backpackers) or in beach bures (see pic http://www.fijifvb.gov.fj/accom/listing/davids.htm ) which are located on the beach and alllow for beautiful deep red sunrises. A walk up the hill or around the island allows for equally magnificent sunsets. The beaches are to die for, the place I stayed was called David's Place on Tavewa and the beach outside was small, however, walk five minutes away and you come upon a gorgeous white sand beach. I went everyday and sometimes there were maybe half a dozen people on the beach and other days there was no one except me. Skinny dipping is illegal but when there is so few people around and the water is so clear and blue and the sun so warm, you will find yourself shucking off your clothes and swimming as nature intended.

As for any gay scene, there is none to speak of (I believe), and homosexuality is illegal. However, on each of the four islands I visited I was approached by islanders who were interested in more than a warm handshake.

lonelywombat
May 2nd, 2006, 14:22
I have just got back from taking my b/f to CM and plan to take him to a nice quiet location somewhere in summer. can anyone recommend and island or beach retreat and hotel/bungalow? Krabi or phuket islands? Ideally I would like a bungalow type vacation but am not sure where to visit. somewhere reasonably classy but not costing me a small fortune. I have been to Pattaya few times before and would like somewhere not too commercial.

any web links would be very helpful. Hope someone can assist.

Try Koh Samui
www.gaykohsamui.net (http://www.gaykohsamui.net)
there are a number of small places you can stay at which are private homes

May 2nd, 2006, 14:43
If the boy friend is Thai why not try Bali. I am sure he would love the island and it vibrant culture. There are any-number of charming, romantic and idyllic beaches and places to stay. All are an easy taxi or self drive from Kuta the main town. Kuta itself is small scale but busy. Prices for accommodation on the island are very good as are those for restaurants. You will both have a really nice holliday for not much more than the plane ticket.

May 2nd, 2006, 14:50
If the original poster is looking for a beach resort, and not looking to spend "a small fortune", then recommendations of Bali and Fiji are less than helpful. Don't you think? Personally, I think it's absurd to travel so far for a beach resort, when Thailand has some of the best in Asia.

May 2nd, 2006, 15:50
Is that so Geenyarse then why are you living in Thailand? Surely Thais also enjoy travelling to other countries? Not every-one is crippled by living off a pension.

May 2nd, 2006, 15:57
Sure they do. They love it! My Thai boy and I have visited over 70 countries together over the past 15+ years.

Re-read the original poster's question, though, dear:

"Can anyone recommend and island or beach retreat and hotel/bungalow? Krabi or phuket islands? Ideally I would like a bungalow type vacation but am not sure where to visit. somewhere reasonably classy but not costing me a small fortune."

Does it sound like he's going to be prepared to whisk boy special off to Fiji for a couple weeks? No, I didn't think so.

May 2nd, 2006, 15:57
Sure they do. They love it! My Thai boy and I have visited over 70 countries together over the past 15+ years.

Re-read the original poster's question, though, dear:

"Can anyone recommend and island or beach retreat and hotel/bungalow? Krabi or phuket islands? Ideally I would like a bungalow type vacation but am not sure where to visit. somewhere reasonably classy but not costing me a small fortune."

Does it sound like he's going to be prepared to whisk boy special off to Fiji for a couple weeks? No, I didn't think so.

May 2nd, 2006, 16:18
No-one said anything about going near the South Pacific Ocean, your geography is typical of most Americans. Bali however is close enough to Thailand to make a very nice holiday for any-one and their lover, never mind the Thai "boy" and his last foot in the grave cash cow.

May 2nd, 2006, 16:23
No one said anything about going near the South Pacific Ocean...

Your reading comprehension is typical of that of your countrymen, dear. Try again, this time without moving your lips while you read. I believe you will find that Fatman specifically recommended Fiji. Perhaps I'm just a dumb, uneducated American...but I believe Fiji is in the South Pacific. Where do YOU believe it is, dear?

May 2nd, 2006, 16:33
Take it up with Fatman then "dumb uneducated American" he may be interested. I suggested Bali which your extensive geographical knowledge seemed to think was as far away as Fiji.

May 2nd, 2006, 16:38
No one said or implied anything of the sort, dear. I suggested that neither destination would fall into the category of vacation that the original poster was inquiring about. Perhaps you should head back to your public school for a refresher course in reading comprehension.

May 2nd, 2006, 16:44
I sense a large chip on the shoulder. Never mind "dearie" I am sure your Thai "boy" wont care to notice, he has been desensitised long enough to put up with all manner of imperfections.

May 2nd, 2006, 16:50
You better have your "sense" adjusted at the same time you're having your refresher course in reading comp.

lonelywombat
May 2nd, 2006, 19:00
I sense a large chip on the shoulder. Never mind "dearie" I am sure your Thai "boy" wont care to notice, he has been desensitised long enough to put up with all manner of imperfections.

Take it up with Fatman then "dumb uneducated American" he may be interested. I suggested Bali which your extensive geographical knowledge seemed to think was as far away as Fiji.

No-one said anything about going near the South Pacific Ocean, your geography is typical of most Americans. Bali however is close enough to Thailand to make a very nice holiday for any-one and their lover, never mind the Thai "boy" and his last foot in the grave cash cow.

Is that so Geenyarse then why are you living in Thailand? Surely Thais also enjoy travelling to other countries? Not every-one is crippled by living off a pension.

These four replies from Cedric after he claims the forum is dumbing down

Surely it is a good indication of the cause, even if he is too dumb to understand.

Smiles
May 2nd, 2006, 19:28
" ... I have just got back from taking my b/f to CM and plan to take him to a nice quiet location somewhere in summer. can anyone recommend and island or beach retreat and hotel/bungalow? ... "
Besides the question of who is the more intelligent fag ( Boygeenyus or Cedric seem to be the only choices :clown: ), getting back to jingmith's original question might not be a bad idea.

My Suggestion-of-the-Month would Cha Am Beach. It's about 100 miles south of Bangkok n the Gulf of Thailand.
Don't make the mistake of looking at beach accomdation in Cha Am town itself ... the beach there is much inferior to that which you will find about 7 kilometers further south. There you'll find a beautiful white sand beach which stretches almost all the way to Hua Hin, but which is generally very quiet and (for Thailand) fairly undiscovered by hoardes of Scandanavians & Germans.
The water is (by obsevation only!) very clean ... and I received no lingering problems from it, though I must admit I used the hotel pool much more as there was a general stinging jellyfish warning going on at the time we were there.
Lovely peaceful sunrises, lots of empty beach area for peace . . . NO 'gay' life (i.e. gogo bars, fuck shows, ladyboy lipsynchers) whatsoever other than that which you might bring with you.

For a small but lively Thai beach road you can get some exercise and walk the 7 kilometers up the beach for dinner in many of the quite charming little restaurants which can be foun in Cha Am town. We had an absolute ball at one of the Isaan music bars found on a little back Soi there one night.

Here's a map to give you the general location:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images/chaammap.jpg

You can get to Cha Am by aircon bus leaving from Bangkok at the southern bus terminal in Thonburi, or by train from Hualamphong station.

I wrote a review of a hotel we stayed at there, and it was terrific ( the hotel that is :blackeye: ) . . . very laid back & very small. (click on http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... php?t=7706 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7706) ).

Good hunting & cheers ...

May 3rd, 2006, 01:33
Ao Tub Tim on Koh samed is so quiet and beautiful.................and there are busier spots 10-15 mins walk away if u fancy a more lively night time.

llz
May 3rd, 2006, 02:18
So many beautiful beaches all over Thailand still to be discovered and almost farang-free ....
Ch-Am could be a good idea but I would avoid it on week-ends (too many people).
Further south there are many gems almost undevelopped or known only to thais. Try Ban Krut in Prajuap province, or Khanom in Surat Thani or Thung Wua Laen in Chumphon ... Some tell there are other great places in the southern provinces but better to avoid them for some time.
The Lonely Planet has some advice but search the net and you will find many other cheap and nice locations.
Don't forget to check which weather you may expect according to the time of the year you go (again Cha Am is a nice place for this because the weather in the norther part of the Gulf seems more likely to be nice than further south). And do not expect anything as far as nightlife is concerned.

May 6th, 2006, 22:29
thanks for th einfo. I have booked http://www.sunrisetropical.com/

lonelywombat
May 7th, 2006, 05:25
thanks for th einfo. I have booked http://www.sunrisetropical.com/

Hey that looks nice, like to hear how you enjoyed it.
Is there an alternative to the longtail boat getting there

from the map page on the website at the bottom.

Remark :
Water tide 2.6 meter up = fomfortable to embark longtail boat to Railey
2.5 meter down=difficant to embark longtail boat to Railey
- Please prepared a sandle not recommended shoes.
- The best time should be 3.00 meter.

May 8th, 2006, 02:38
yeah you HAVE to get there by boat only. will either be fun a soaking not sure. no one on recommendations said anything bad about it. will be good stay i hope. cannt wait. b/f will be impressed for sure. hes been going on about a beach holiday in bugalow so think he will like. will let you know.

May 8th, 2006, 10:33
Koh Chang quiet? - u gotta be kidding - maybe in off season yeah, but u gotta go for miles to find a quiet spot in high season

Aunty
May 8th, 2006, 17:53
"Reasonably classy" sounds like he's willing to spend a bit of money to me. It sure as hell ain't back-packing! And besides, Thailand is actually not that far away from Fiji. They could fly Emirates Bkk to Brisbane direct (daily flight) and then Air Pacific or Qantas to Fiji. They could even consider holidaying in Australia. Queensland has lots of beautiful beaches, resorts for all budgets and the Great Barrier Reef. The bf may indeed enjoy a holiday away from Asia.

May 10th, 2006, 02:09
I though of Figi sounds great. Will the b/f need a visa for aussie land?
I thought the venue I have booked would be quiet. Im more than happy if there is something going on.

RonanTheBarbarian
August 8th, 2006, 03:51
Hi jingmith.

Have you been to Krabi yet?

How did you get on?

I am thinking og going there next December and i was wondering how the Sunrise Tropical worked out.

Thanks,

Ronan.

andrewcraig
August 8th, 2006, 06:27
Hi jingmith.

Have you been to Krabi yet?

How did you get on?

I am thinking og going there next December and i was wondering how the Sunrise Tropical worked out.

Thanks,

Ronan.

I have been waiting for more details as well. As I have a bad knee the long tailed boat
could be a problem

Can you give an update including getting to/from by boat

August 8th, 2006, 09:40
hey guys, I travel to LOS this friday, I have a week in CM (in the rain by the sounds of thing) before going to Krabi Railay beach on the 19th August, will give you a report after. neo. wish me luck.

RonanTheBarbarian
September 2nd, 2006, 04:16
Any report is eagerly awaited. :bounce:

September 4th, 2006, 01:17
hi got back from krabi a week ago, railay beach. great bungalows, out door shower (private) good size room, great funiturem and nice bathroom, excellent. i paid 2500 baht but out of season, great value. would recommend!!!.

some construction work goin on , but you can avoid it. one clean sanded private beach about 10 mins walk, walk to toher beach is 5 mins. the sunrise is right on east railway beach. this is where most of the longtail boats come to. not for sunbathing use other beaches.
some bars 5 mins walk away with bar resturants, more middle class back packers and rock climers, and some just 4 beach and snorkling. bars r ok. sort of reaggie scene.

would be happy to back, not tuk tuks, bikes or cars. small penisular. book it.

neo