View Full Version : Banged Up Abroad: Bangkok, Thailand

Beachlover
April 19th, 2011, 20:29
Does anyone here watch Banged Up Abroad? It's a NatGeo series on people who get into serious trouble while traveling... well acted.

Anyway, one of the latest episodes tells the story of Australian, Tim Schrader in Bangkok.

What a fuck up... Coming from a conservative religious middle-class Australian family, he went to Bangkok to teach English. Got into the working girl scene and ran short of money so he got involved in smuggling Thai prostitutes to other countries by pretending to be their husband on each trip.

(Spoiler alert) He did that four times, then made an attempt to smuggle heroin to the States and was apparently set up by his "handler" to be caught (watch to see why). In prison, he starts using heroin, gets HIV this way and is pardoned on medical grounds and sent back to Australia after serving five years. The episode was actually filmed in Phnom Penh.

Interesting what he says about how the working girl scene attracted him...

We used to frequent the red light districts where there's a lot of bars, there's a lot of pretty girls. It's a seedy scene, but we weren't looking at it like that. We were whisked away into this fantasy world and we loved it whether it was right or wrong. It boosted our egos enormously to have all this attention paid to us by all these beautiful girls...

You can download the episode here: http://www.fileserve.com/file/eEGKHsQ/L ... angkok.avi (http://www.fileserve.com/file/eEGKHsQ/Locked.Up.Abroad.Series.7.Episode.4.-.Bangkok.avi)

Watch the first bit here:
[youtube:9nnw1ekg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4My5CGiYIo4[/youtube:9nnw1ekg]

April 19th, 2011, 20:45
No doubt you would have enjoyed it more if the subject had been a 50 something, bald, fat, farang chasing bar boys.

bigben
April 20th, 2011, 01:46
BL,

Thanks for posting this.

Riveting.

For anyone who has entertained doing major crimes in Thailand, I hope viewing this will change your mind.

If it doesn't---God help you

April 20th, 2011, 04:28
Thanks for posting Beach :love4:

April 20th, 2011, 04:57
Cheers Beachy,

Amazing really and so easy to fall into when you're 'living the dream'

:alc:

Khor tose
April 20th, 2011, 12:45
Does anyone here watch Banged Up Abroad? It's a NatGeo series on people who get into serious trouble while traveling... well acted.

I have yet to put you on ignore on this site yet, but I have the feeling I will. In the meantime, thanks for posting. You really can contribute positively now and then.

Beachlover
April 22nd, 2011, 18:07
For anyone who has entertained doing major crimes in Thailand, I hope viewing this will change your mind.
Yeah, the interesting thing is he started with the fake husband scam (still serious but not relative to drug smuggling) and did that a few times before moving up to drugs. He certainly paid for his crime.

These drug mules often do it for such little money relative to what it's worth. Putting aside the fact that it's wrong, there are much easier ways to make $10k or $15k. And considering the enormous profits made if the undertaking is successful, they get very little of it, despite being the party who is taking the most risk.

I have yet to put you on ignore on this site yet, but I have the feeling I will.
Glad you enjoyed the show but please don't procrastinate. Just hit the button!

Beachlover
April 22nd, 2011, 18:18
I forgot, there's an earlier Banged Up Abroad episode, which also took place in Thailand.

British citizen, Sandra Gregory comes to Thailand and does a bit of traveling but runs out of money and doesn't have enough to fly home so she turns to smuggling to earn the cash she needs...

You can download the episode here: http://www.fileserve.com/file/BkUJSuy/B ... ailand.avi (http://www.fileserve.com/file/BkUJSuy/Banged.Up.Abroad.Series.1.Episode.2.Thailand.avi)

Watch the first bit here:
[youtube:4hzoldpx]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF8V9Ln6b20[/youtube:4hzoldpx]

Can't remember how this one ends but at the end of some episodes the camera pans out from the interview scene to show that the subject is still serving their prison sentence!

fedssocr
April 23rd, 2011, 08:23
I'm pretty sure there was at least a Locked Up Abroad set in Thailand as well.

Beachlover
April 23rd, 2011, 12:52

Locked Up Abroad and Banged Up Abroad are the same series... They're marketed under different names for different countries.

joe552
April 24th, 2011, 03:57
I have to say I've little sympathy for these people, out to make a quick buck. I would hate to be put in prison here in Ireland, but the idea of a stretch in a Thai prison just doesn't bear thinking about.

I suppose people get into situations without realising the risk they're running, but surely if you're stuck in a foreign country with no money, there's family, the embassy, to get you home? Running drugs wouldn't be on my list of solutions to a difficult situation.

fedssocr
April 24th, 2011, 08:21

Locked Up Abroad and Banged Up Abroad are the same series... They're marketed under different names for different countries.

Ah. that makes perfect sense. Thanks

thonglor55
April 24th, 2011, 09:57
I've been watching The Tudors from end-to-end. The notion that King Henry might call his wife du jour "sweetheart" is irritating in the extreme. However the parallels between the political activities of the English Reformation and Dissent generally, and the US Patriot Act struck me particularly. While I'm not sure that the Bangkok Hilton and the 16th century Tower of London are comparable, being banged up can never be a pleasant experience - a bit like living in Khon Kaen, perhaps?

Beachlover
April 24th, 2011, 14:09
surely if you're stuck in a foreign country with no money, there's family, the embassy, to get you home? Running drugs wouldn't be on my list of solutions to a difficult situation.
Family and friends, yes... But to my knowledge, most embassies rarely or never offer financial assistance to citizens stranded by their own financial miss-management. Not even when they're in a life threatening situation (e.g. need cash for hospital treatment or need a medivac flight home).

Khor tose
April 24th, 2011, 16:26
surely if you're stuck in a foreign country with no money, there's family, the embassy, to get you home? Running drugs wouldn't be on my list of solutions to a difficult situation.
Family and friends, yes... But to my knowledge, most embassies rarely or never offer financial assistance to citizens stranded by their own financial miss-management. Not even when they're in a life threatening situation (e.g. need cash for hospital treatment or need a medivac flight home).

I do not know about other government, but the US will offer you a repoatruation loan if you are broke. It does not matter why you are broke this service is for all.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/123611.pdf

Scroll down several near blank pages.

April 24th, 2011, 16:38
I do not know about other government, but the US will offer you a repoatruation loan if you are broke. It does not matter why you are broke this service is for all.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/123611.pdf

Scroll down several near blank pages.

Hi,

I think the UK now has no budget left for such things as it has all been used up making a home from home for the Pakistani terrorists, The Polish labourers, The Romanian gypsies, Iranian dissidents, Itaqi refugees, Afghan drug dealers, Vietnamese opportunists, Ugandan gay asylum seekers, etc.

Never mind, I am sure they'll address it again when we have a new Labour government soon.... :laughing3:

Beachlover
April 24th, 2011, 16:55
I read somewhere the Australian government offers limited financial assistance under strict criteria. I've never heard of them offering to pay or lend for flights home but perhaps this is possible. I've heard of them refusing to assist Australian citizens who are in desperate need of funds for medical treatment and evacuation and I agree with this policy.

I know in the "Sandra Gregory" Banged Up episode she did it because she wanted to get home but in the other episode, he did it because he wanted to stay in Thailand and enjoy life there. This seems to be the case with a lot of the episodes. They just want money to enjoy life more, get out of debt or other things beyond their means.

April 24th, 2011, 17:06
Never mind, I am sure they'll address it again when we have a new Labour government soon.... :laughing3:

I hope you said that tongue in cheek Kevin? Christ a Labour Government with Milliband in charge; "will the last one to leave please turn out the lights"

April 24th, 2011, 17:33

I hope you said that tongue in cheek Kevin? Christ a Labour Government with Milliband in charge; "will the last one to leave please turn out the lights"

Exactly what I mean combat,

I hope I'll be long gone before we see that clown in number 10, mind you I have also just thrown away all that nonsense on the AV which has arrived through the letterbox.

April 24th, 2011, 17:59
I've heard of them refusing to assist Australian citizens who are in desperate need of funds for medical treatment and evacuation and I agree with this policy.

I have purchased a new laptop but now when previewing what I write, I see the same typos and same misprinted thoughts. It must be the onset of Alzheimers and I beg all of your forgivness when editing my posts.

Anyhow Beachy,I think I read and understood the above quote BUT really, are you saying that you believe that the government of Australia should NOT make loans and assist your goverments citizens in case they run into foul play or even unexpected medical situations and need to get home but have no funds??!! :dontknow:
I would be horrified if I had an emergency medical problem and my insurance was in the US and I needed to get there because my insurance was not guaranteed over here. Such as in my particular case, I had kidney failure while I was in Thailand. My insurance is in USA. My medical treatments now cost me approx $200 to $300 a week! I have gone to both Bumrungrad for series of urgent operations and Bangkok Pattaya. In these hospitals, Employers Health and Humana do not participate and I need to lay the money out first and wait up til 4 months to get it back.
Had these problems arisen and I did not have the funds or credit card to support medical assistance, I am certainly glad to know that there is an emergency fund set up to assist me in getting home, should I have been swindled out of all of my money or something else catostophic.
:crybaby:
Added on afterthought
Look at poor Mic. I never knew him or knew his situation personally but it is my "understanding" that he had an anurism in his brain, was in a coma and needed to be transported home. Nurses a doctor and a section of the plane to be converted into an ICU unit. Again, it was my understanding that he did not have the funds for this type of an emergency "here". His country (I believe UK) did nothing to assist, although I either may be incorrect on some of this or they may not have been contacted, I am not privvy to this information. I am glad to know there is a safety net for myself knowing that I have paid taxes almost 50 years and will probably never get to see a dime of it as I will be long gone before I reach 65 or the year to start getting some of it back via Social Security.

thonglor55
April 24th, 2011, 19:33
Never mind, I am sure they'll address it again when we have a new Labour government soon.... :laughing3:I hope you said that tongue in cheek Kevin? Christ a Labour Government with Milliband in charge; "will the last one to leave please turn out the lights"Why is it that Western political partisans always make this exact same jejeune comment every time the prospect of a change of government to the side they disfavor comes up? IT NEVER, EVER HAPPENS. Life goes on, pretty much as before.

April 24th, 2011, 20:12
Why is it that Western political partisans always make this exact same jejeune comment every time the prospect of a change of government to the side they disfavor comes up? IT NEVER, EVER HAPPENS. Life goes on, pretty much as before.

Hi,

If it goes on much the same as before Thonglor55,try being in the UK right now!

The measures being taken now are necessary and very painful for many due to 13 years of Tonty Blairs version of a Labour Government and its policies and conning the British Public whilst getting the Country into the worst debt it has ever been in.

The jejeune comment,whatever that means, I can't be bothered to check it out on google.

thonglor55
April 24th, 2011, 21:17
I suppose you read all of that in the newspapers did you? I've lived through countless changes of government in multiple democratic countries and it always follows the same pattern. The incoming government informs the electorate that now they can examine the books, oh dear me, our dastardly predecessors have left the most frightful mess and we'll have to make you the electors suffer so as to sneak in our own policies while at the same time providing opportunities to remind you at the next election what a mess the other side will make again if a foolish electorate re-elects them. After ten or a dozen years people tire of their government and elect the other side, who go through the same charade all over again. I might suggest that you've obviously lived far too long in Thailand if you've been suckered in, but the vast majority of any electorate in any democratic country is conned in the same time-honored way over and over again and never seems to learn that lesson.

April 24th, 2011, 21:34
I suppose you read all of that in the newspapers did you? I've lived through countless changes of government in multiple democratic countries and it always follows the same pattern. The incoming government informs the electorate that now they can examine the books, oh dear me, our dastardly predecessors have left the most frightful mess and we'll have to make you the electors suffer so as to sneak in our own policies while at the same time providing opportunities to remind you at the next election what a mess the other side will make again if a foolish electorate re-elects them. After ten or a dozen years people tire of their government and elect the other side, who go through the same charade all over again. I might suggest that you've obviously lived far too long in Thailand if you've been suckered in, but the vast majority of any electorate in any democratic country is conned in the same time-honored way over and over again and never seems to learn that lesson.

What a complete load of pure crap, totally expected from the likes of you!

Brad the Impala
April 25th, 2011, 00:51

I agree entirely with the Colonel, and surely it's only the simpletons who can actually believe that global debt is created by the policies of one individual government! As to UK subsidies of Polish labourers, the clue is that they are "labourers" and actually doing a job, and therefore require no subsidies at all unlike the indigenous population.........

April 25th, 2011, 01:04

Well you all talk about how different the USA is. This sounds exactly how it goes in the good old US of A also. TheDemocrats blame the Republicans who show how the other side fucked it all up and how THEY are going to make it all right but they also fuck it up everytime they are in power. and if UK is almost under because of debt, well US is also. See, we may pronounce things a little differently, call things a little different, BUT same same.

April 25th, 2011, 01:27
I agree entirely with the Colonel, and surely it's only the simpletons who can actually believe that global debt is created by the policies of one individual government! As to UK subsidies of Polish labourers, the clue is that they are "labourers" and actually doing a job, and therefore require no subsidies at all unlike the indigenous population.........

Yes,

Then the Polish labourers undercut the local labour to get the work, and they initially succeed as they are cheaper and then they bring their families over to the green and pleasant land.

The Employers eventually realise with all the time they have to spend speaking and having everything translated and constantly having to monitor them because their workmanship is not up to UK standards and has to be redone time and time again, they are not actually SAVING money.

So, they terminate their employment.

Problem is, we now have the Polish Man, his wife and kids over as well, now with no job or means of support.

Welcome to the British system of Family allowance, jobseekers allowance,family credit etc etc. and realises he is better off on the benefits as they provide housing as well and pay his council tax. They also prefer here to Poland.

You were saying about the Polish labourers??

I am here Brad,unfortunately, for the time being seeing this with my eyes and the reports from my friends who are now owning their own businesses in joinery, building work etc. telling me this. They've been down the route of employing these people and gone back to getting local labour.

Brad the Impala
April 25th, 2011, 01:50
The Employers eventually realise with all the time they have to spend speaking and having everything translated and constantly having to monitor them because their workmanship is not up to UK standards and has to be redone time and time again, they are not actually SAVING money.

Ah yes. The much vaunted standards of british builders!

April 25th, 2011, 02:08
No one was complaining about Polish builders during the property bubble when everyone was madly flipping houses and going ever deeper into debt. In fact you couldn't hire them fast enough. But now that that party is over and the bill has come due I guess you need a scapegoat and why not the hapless Polish builder. God forbid you might actually take responsibility for your own greed and stupidity.

April 25th, 2011, 03:02
No one was complaining about Polish builders during the property bubble when everyone was madly flipping houses and going ever deeper into debt. In fact you couldn't hire them fast enough. But now that that party is over and the bill has come due I guess you need a scapegoat and why not the hapless Polish builder. God forbid you might actually take responsibility for your own greed and stupidity.

Once in a while,

You are just throwing opinions about without reading the threads earlier post, your post doesn't really make sense, it isn't about blaming them regards housing at all nor was it in fact just about Poles or housing. It was about government policies......never mind,...............it's not important enough for it to be an issue.

It's not as though we get paid for our observations is it?? Happy Easter one and all.

April 25th, 2011, 03:26
You might go back and review who went off on a tangent about Polish builders, or whatever immigrant group you want to bitch about. The thing of it is that you when times are good you bring them in to do the jobs no one else wants or to fill labour shortages and then when the inevitable economic downturn occurs they're the ones accused of taking "British" jobs and milking the social welfare system.

thonglor55
April 25th, 2011, 07:49
What a complete load of pure crapHere's an easy challenge for a political afficionado such as yourself, combat. Name, with supporting evidence, three changes of government since 1970 in any of the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand where what I described didn't happen. I know you enjoy spending your retirement boning up on Wikipedia's many types of information so this should be a doddle for you.

lonelywombat
April 25th, 2011, 08:05

The favoured term in a change of government in OZ, is Black Hole in the accounts of the previous government. It happens at Federal and State level every change of government.
However the conservative government in my state is finding it hard work,as they inherited a budget in surplus. They are still trying, but it is their election promises that will create the black hole and they are winding them back in, somewhat redfaced.

Beachlover
April 25th, 2011, 18:49
are you saying that you believe that the government of Australia should NOT make loans and assist your goverments citizens in case they run into foul play or even unexpected medical situations and need to get home but have no funds??!!
Yes, as far as financial assistance goes, I like the idea of making emergency repatriation loans under strict criteria. But that's where the line should be drawn.

Under NORMAL circumstances (i.e. not disaster situations) embassy support should be limited to what the Australian government does now... e.g. They'll help you contact people but they won't pay for your medical/travel expenses... and if you're in jail, they'll visit you to check on your welfare but they won't intervene in legal proceedings.

I would be horrified if I had an emergency medical problem and my insurance was in the US and I needed to get there because my insurance was not guaranteed over here.
Not having a go at you but isn't it the individual's responsibility to ensure they're insured or have contingency funds for that sort of thing?

If your insurance only covers medical treatment in the US and you're living in or traveling through Thailand then you need to have travel insurance that covers medical or have worldwide medical coverage! It shouldn't be the government's responsibility to cough up $200k, $500k or even $1 million in some cases whenever one of its citizens needs medical treatment and medivac home while abroad.

Look at poor Mic. I never knew him or knew his situation personally but it is my "understanding" that he had an anurism in his brain, was in a coma and needed to be transported home. Nurses a doctor and a section of the plane to be converted into an ICU unit. Again, it was my understanding that he did not have the funds for this type of an emergency "here". His country (I believe UK) did nothing to assist
He has my sympathies but wasn't it HIS responsibility to ensure he either has the funds or has insurance coverage to deal with this sort of thing?

When I'm overseas, I always have a slip of paper with my travel insurance policy and emergency numbers in my wallet. So if something happens and assuming I'm incapacitated, whoever brings me in will hopefully find it and can call the insurance company to authorise funds and organise treatment and transport home.

This kind of situation isn't that uncommon... people get sick overseas or they have a serious accident all the time. If you're in a developing country, many hospitals won't even treat you or continue to treat you unless you can come up with the funds (from yourself or your insurance provider) on the spot.

I have a friend who told me of being with a group of Aussies in Vietnam when one of them was hit by a vehicle while crossing the road. She was pretty badly injured (don't know what injuries but it was life threatening) and it was his role to liaise with the insurance company to ensure they had sufficient funds to continue treating her and eventually get her back to Australia.

Beachlover
April 25th, 2011, 21:51
Had these problems arisen and I did not have the funds or credit card to support medical assistance, I am certainly glad to know that there is an emergency fund set up to assist me in getting home
I'm curious... when it comes to US citizens, is there such a fund set aside and will they cough up half a million dollars to pay for your treatment and medivac you home if something catastrophic happens? I'm pretty sure this isn't the case for Australians and I agree with this.

A couple of years ago there was a case of an Australian teacher who had a fall and ended up paralysed and in a critical condition in India. He didn't have travel insurance so his family had to drain their savings and borrow money to keep the hospital treatment going. But they couldn't afford to fly him home (I think it needed to be a private medivac flight or something) so they did a public appeal...

Eventually they raised enough money, secured a quote for all the logistics needed to fly him home etc. but he died before they could go ahead with this. So the end result was the guy was dead, the family drained their savings and went into debt and they still had to pay to fly his body home. All avoidable if he had insurance.

You can read about it here:
http://www.bringgeorgeback.com/story.php
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... -f72a.html (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/disabled-australian-tourist-stranded-20090902-f72a.html)

At the time, the Australian government refused to provide the funds needed to bring him home and the family publicly stated they understood the reasons for this.

If the government had stepped in for this guy, then where do they draw the line? If everyone thought the government would step in then more Australians wouldn't bother to buy travel insurance, which is the responsible thing to do.

homeseeker
April 26th, 2011, 16:37
I have been able to view the first 3 (of the 4) parts of this documentary. But I cannot get the link for part 4. On UTube for part 4 there is a different documentary about the same subject matter.
Can anyone give me the link for part 4?

Many thanks.

April 27th, 2011, 02:31
Not having a go at you but isn't it the individual's responsibility to ensure they're insured or have contingency funds for that sort of thing?

Beachy,

Mick had five million bahts worth of insurance when he was taken into hospital. He was mid sixties, I would have thought that was sufficient medical insurance.This was sucked dry by the hospital.

When this had nearly gone, they informed Mick's friends there was nothing more they could do, It was through the generosity of mainly Tim from Panorama and others that Mick was airlifted back to the UK.

I am not going into private finances, it is not correct considering he was a great friend of mine also, but think these points are worthy of note. He was a great guy and I was privileged to know him. I felt and feel immense pride at knowing Tim, David now at Cafe Royale for their help and support they give Mick and also to me whilst I was in a Bangkok Jail. They do this without fuss or recognition as well as their other charity works for good causes and then have also their respective businesses to run gents.............. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

allieb
April 27th, 2011, 04:30
I have been able to view the first 3 (of the 4) parts of this documentary. But I cannot get the link for part 4. On UTube for part 4 there is a different documentary about the same subject matter.

Many thanks.

Click on the link for the entire 40 episodes You can choose to download the Thailand one from series 4. Uncheck all the boxes and just check the one you want.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6300576 ... 0_Episodes (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6300576/Locked_Up_Abroad_aka_Banged_Up_Abroad_Complete_40_ Episodes)

homeseeker
April 27th, 2011, 08:54

Many thanks.

Click on the link for the entire 40 episodes You can choose to download the Thailand one from series 4. Uncheck all the boxes and just check the one you want.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6300576 ... 0_Episodes (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6300576/Locked_Up_Abroad_aka_Banged_Up_Abroad_Complete_40_ Episodes)

Many thanks to Allieb.

Beachlover
April 27th, 2011, 10:49
NatGeo gets YouTube to pull down any copyright material of theirs. But so many people upload their shows to YouTube so I suspect, instead of pulling each and every part, they decided to only pull 1 part (most of their shows have to be uploaded in 4 parts) so you start watching an episode and then get to part 3 or 4 only to find it's been deleted! Annoying.

Best thing to do is use the Fileserve links I posted above to download the entire episode as one file. Alternatively, see if they've released it on DVD yet. I wish I could just buy a download straight from their website.

Beachlover
April 27th, 2011, 11:08
Hey Kquill... That's a sad story. Out of respect, let's take the individual out of the equation.

"X" had five million bahts worth of insurance when he was taken into hospital. He was mid sixties, I would have thought that was sufficient medical insurance.This was sucked dry by the hospital. When this had nearly gone, they informed X's friends there was nothing more they could do...
Does anyone think five million baht is sufficient? Especially a man in his sixties? That's only about USD$150k.

Treatment for serious illnesses, operations, transplants etc. can easily run up costs higher than that. Not to mention the cost of a medical airlift if the need arises (as it did in this case) can easily run up to USD$250k in some cases. When I buy travel insurance (which includes medical), the coverage for medical costs and evacuation is always "unlimited". Not sure what strings are attached to this but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cut out and leave my friends and family scrambling for cash after $150k.

If I was living overseas and didn't have a great deal of funds to back myself, I wouldn't be comfortable with medical insurance cover for any less than $1 million, no matter what age. That's just my opinion.

I agree the friends who paid to airlift him back home did an admirable thing... It must've cost a bomb.

Khor tose
April 27th, 2011, 11:24
I'm curious... when it comes to US citizens, is there such a fund set aside and will they cough up half a million dollars to pay for your treatment and medivac you home if something catastrophic happens? I'm pretty sure this isn't the case for Australians and I agree with this.

Yes, and No. As a disabled vet I am entitled to emergency care anywhere in the world from the Dept. of Vet. Affairs. However, no other Americans are entitled to this care. You are correct, if they do not buy their own insurance then the US government leaves them to their own resources.

Beachlover
April 27th, 2011, 11:46
Thanks for clarifying. As I thought, it would be overly generous, even for the US government, to freely help out any citizen who needs medical expenses/medivac covered abroad.

I guess you might want to re-organise your contingency plans, Justme.

homeseeker
April 27th, 2011, 12:02
Thanks, I have now viewed all the episodes of this drama-documentary. Not only is it enthralling but instructive and very sad.I have viewed on TRUE cable a number in this series and this one is the best so far. To me it shows what happens when people come to Thailand but want to live beyond their means and are hence tempted to commit crime and the terrible consequences that can flow from that.

Beachlover
May 18th, 2011, 23:49
Another dickhead was caught recently trying to smuggle cocaine into Phuket.

Arrested with four kilograms of cocaine... he's a gone case.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/05 ... 55184.html (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/05/12/national/International-cocaine-ring-busted-in-Phuket-30155184.html)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-hel ... ier-14089/ (http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-hell-confessed-expat-cocaine-courier-14089/)

My Phuket Drugs Hell: Confessions of an Expat Cocaine Courier

By Chutima Sidasathian and Alan Morison
Thursday, May 12, 2011

THE HURT of being the wife of an international drugs courier is being to show. For Amornrat Balmer, wife of Swiss national and drugs ''mule'' Peter Balmer, the best years of their marriage are probably gone forever.

The hurt for Peter Balmer's parents, who visited Thailand earlier this year to support the couple's plan to open a restaurant, can only be imagined.

Khun Amornrat, who is travelling to Phuket by bus tonight, told Phuketwan today that she had no idea her husband of six years was planning a trip to South America to become a cocaine courier.

''He told me he was going to Hua Hin for a couple of weeks, to help a friend,'' she said today from the central province of Korat, as she packed to board the bus to Phuket to be as close as possible to her husband.

She said that money had become their biggest problem since the Swiss government cut off his disability pension.

Before that, the couple could count on as much as 50,000 bah a month to see them through, and to plan for the future.

Having left the resort town of Hua Hin because it was growing too expensive, the couple headed back to Korat and the village that Khun Amornrat came from. They had outfitted a restaurant, ready to open.

But the money was running out.

And there were moments this week when Peter Balmer, novice cocaine courier, twice had one last chance.

He told Phuketwan yesterday that a second chance came when he arrived at Phuket International Airport on Monday, carrying in his baggage four kilos of cocaine that he knew could get him the death penalty in Thailand.

''I was scared,'' he said. ''I was twice close to leaving the bag in a toilet, once in Brazil and when I arrived on Phuket.

''I wish I had the choice again.''

By the time officers at the airport began to question him, having been tipped off that he was arriving, it was too late.

Now he faces a possible death penalty. ''I am scared about that,'' he said.

The following day, Tuesday, a Thai woman was arrested at Phuket International Airport carrying two kilos of cocaine. She claimed she did not know what she was carrying.

Peter Balmer knew what he was doing. The contact for the courier run came via an old acquaintance in Bangkok's notorious Nana district.

''I have been here in Thailand for 13 years,'' he said. ''After my accident, I moved here. I was married once, I gave my first wife the house we shared, then I met and married Amornrat.

''I hope she can visit me,'' he said.

Why did he do it?

''I needed the money so . . . . I was in Bolivia for two weeks. I don't use cocaine any more. It's about the money. Only about the money.''

Khun Amornrat told Phuketwan that the pension from the Swiss government allowed them to make ends meet, although her husband was an alcoholic with liver health issues.

Mr Balmer said that he had been injured in a fall in Switzerland as a carpenter years ago, leaving him with a disability pension.

''Now the government has no money for that,'' he said. ''Many people don't have this pension now. I am hoping a court decision will have it restored.''

Read more: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-hel ... ier-14089/ (http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-hell-confessed-expat-cocaine-courier-14089/)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beachlover
July 31st, 2011, 21:16
Interesting... a documentary about three drug addicted Australians who were caught smuggling drugs out of Bangkok Airport in 1996, two women and one man. They left two, four and four kids behind respectively when they were imprisoned.

They all started off with the death sentence and then a 50-year prison sentence.

In the end they spent around five years in prison in Thailand followed by another five in Australia.

Christ... they've got loser written all over them.

[youtube:3kbpbozs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiGyGS6u8M[/youtube:3kbpbozs]

Beachlover
August 7th, 2011, 23:23
New series of Banged Up Abroad coming up features two Americans caught smuggling drugs out of Bangkok.

Backstabbed in Thailand: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/s ... s/10780_00 (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/locked-up-abroad/5756/Overview#tab-Videos/10780_00)

HereтАЩs a funny American version of the trailer:

[youtube:9xc8yb3z]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UhwpIOpA4E[/youtube:9xc8yb3z]

Beachlover
January 23rd, 2012, 21:19
New episode of Banged Up Abroad, set in Thailand has been posted to YouTube!

It's about two black American chicks who stupidly tried to smuggle heroin out of Bangkok a few years ago. I've no idea how they managed to get off with such a light sentence of a few years in jail.

Watch it before it gets taken down by YouTube!

Part 1
[youtube:zka7dk9v]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koxCaINFWtM[/youtube:zka7dk9v]

Part 2
[youtube:zka7dk9v]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31RUys3qKw[/youtube:zka7dk9v]

Part 3
[youtube:zka7dk9v]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mPK6CUmf24[/youtube:zka7dk9v]

I watched this a while ago and recall the bit where she's arguing with the Thai officer is hilarious with the contrasting accents...

- Thai: Heroin! Heroin!

- Black-American: Who put that there???!!! [referring to drugs in her luggage]

- Thai: You know... you know!

- Black-American: No I don't know!!! Who put that there?!

- Thai: You know! You know! Heroin! Heroin!

- Black-American: No I DON'T know no HEROIN!!!

:sign5:

1PR4BKK
January 24th, 2012, 00:27
Thanks for sharing this video series Beachlover. It was quite interesting. I always try to err on the side of caution when it comes to activities in countries other than my own....especially when in Thailand.