PDA

View Full Version : Sizzler -- American Steak Restaurant

kittyboy
April 16th, 2011, 11:25
This is a telling of what I think is an amusing happening. I had been seeing the same guy in Pattaya for several years but we recently had a falling out...Sweet guy....but...

Anyway, Pattaya boys being sort of like taxis (I know it is a crude analogy but it works) I hailed a new one that was willing to put down the meter and go for a ride. Anyway, I have been seeing said boy for the last couple of trips to thailand.

I wanted to take him out to dinner. Anyplace.was fine....bring some friends lets go out... Thai food...we could go to a nice place...or street food....it did not matter ...Up to him...Sizzler with just the two of us...He wanted to go to Sizzler..I laughed so hard...I mean in the US Sizzler is a couple of steps above fast food in the food industry chain...So I say OK where...He assures me that the Sizzler in BKK was much better than the ones in Pattaya as the boofet (my spelling of his pronunciation) was better. We got on the bus and went to Sizzler in Silom...went to some boy shows in patpong and took a taxi back..It was a great time. This guy has had quite a few shall we say farang love interests over the last few years...I get the impression that he is somewhat westernized.

Just curious..how unusual would it be for a thai money boy to prefer a western restaurant chain to hanging out eating thai food...It strikes me as unusual..but I just visit and pay the bar tab.

cameroncat
April 16th, 2011, 12:25
When given a choice, My Thai Ex and his family would always pick western or Japanese food over Thai for a dinner out. I guess they get Thai food all week and prefer something different for a treat.
:dontknow:

allieb
April 16th, 2011, 12:43
I had a boy special on the go for 4 years. Given the choice he always wanted to eat in O'Reilly pub Bangkok or a place called the Toby Jug which is now closed. He would always have a sirloin steak. I asked him why and the reply was simple and honest. "When you go I can't afford this kind of food and I like it". I always had something from their Thai menu and told him that I have this because when I go I can't get it. Having said that I recently found a Thai restaurant in Saudi, where I live called the Pattaya Restaurant. It's run by one of the few Thais still living in Saudi arabia with Thai cooks and fillipino waiters.

francois
April 16th, 2011, 21:35
Sizzler is quite popular with younger Thais although I would not eat there; as you say, a step above fast food. My Thai bf enjoys a good steak but it must be thick, tender and juicy, just the way I like my meat.

billy2bs
April 16th, 2011, 22:02
I went to my last Sizzler forever recently when in Pattaya.The salad bar was more fulfilling than the steak was. I bought a leathe belt on the beach that is probably more tender than what I had, I did notice that the salad bar was well attended by the Thai as you could go back and back and back. But then it was vacation so what the heck.

cameroncat
April 17th, 2011, 00:27
Last time I went to Sizzler in Pattaya, the salad bar was swamped with Russians who acted like they had never seen a fresh piece of fruit in their life!

RichLB
April 17th, 2011, 01:13
This might be more frustrating than illuminating, but the Sizzler in Pattaya has an unadvertised special offering for Thais (or anyone else that asks for it). I think the cost is under 200 baht and presents a small entre but unlimited use of the salad bar and a soft drink or water. The frustrating part is I forget what it's called and how you ask for it.

Marsilius
April 17th, 2011, 04:26
Some years ago I used to spend a great deal of time with a Thai young man who was desperate do do everything in his power to appear and act as "western" as possible. When we went to breakfast he would regularly order steak and chips!

joe552
April 17th, 2011, 05:36
Slightly hijacking the thread - is there a good steak restaurant in Pattaya? I would occasionally crave a good steak while there. I didn't realise that some boys enjoy the Sizzler experience - will remember that for next time.

gaymandenmark
April 17th, 2011, 06:05
Slightly hijacking the thread - is there a good steak restaurant in Pattaya? I would occasionally crave a good steak while there. I didn't realise that some boys enjoy the Sizzler experience - will remember that for next time.

If they dont ask for it, please dont give them any crazy ideas. I prefer my som tam with grilled chicken, more than the Sizzler menu.

April 17th, 2011, 06:13
I had a boy special on the go for 4 years. Given the choice he always wanted to eat in O'Reilly pub Bangkok or a place called the Toby Jug which is now closed. He would always have a sirloin steak. I asked him why and the reply was simple and honest. "When you go I can't afford this kind of food and I like it". I always had something from their Thai menu and told him that I have this because when I go I can't get it. Having said that I recently found a Thai restaurant in Saudi, where I live called the Pattaya Restaurant. It's run by one of the few Thais still living in Saudi arabia with Thai cooks and fillipino waiters.

allieb,

OMG, I remember the good old Toby Jug in BKK, I even played a game of darts in there!!!! lol.....bloody hell!.. :tongue3:

kittyboy
April 17th, 2011, 08:47
This is a telling of what I think is an amusing happening. I had been seeing the same guy in Pattaya for several years but we recently had a falling out...Sweet guy....but...

Anyway, Pattaya boys being sort of like taxis (I know it is a crude analogy but it works) I hailed a new one that was willing to put down the meter and go for a ride. Anyway, I have been seeing said boy for the last couple of trips to thailand.

I wanted to take him out to dinner. Anyplace.was fine....bring some friends lets go out... Thai food...we could go to a nice place...or street food....it did not matter ...Up to him...Sizzler with just the two of us...He wanted to go to Sizzler..I laughed so hard...I mean in the US Sizzler is a couple of steps above fast food in the food industry chain...So I say OK where...He assures me that the Sizzler in BKK was much better than the ones in Pattaya as the boofet (my spelling of his pronunciation) was better. We got on the bus and went to Sizzler in Silom...went to some boy shows in patpong and took a taxi back..It was a great time. This guy has had quite a few shall we say farang love interests over the last few years...I get the impression that he is somewhat westernized.

Just curious..how unusual would it be for a thai money boy to prefer a western restaurant chain to hanging out eating thai food...It strikes me as unusual..but I just visit and pay the bar tab.

I think my previous trip to Sizzler was many years ago. I recall going on a date with a GIRL. Trying to impress her I believe I choose Sizzler or a Sizzler equivalent. My choice of restaurant seems did not impress her, or my lack of charm or something, needless to say I ended up going home with a lighter wallet and wanking in my hand...A good reason to go HOMO if there ever was one.

Anyway, the trip with the thai guy turned out to be a fond memory. Checking out the crowd in Sizzler, making rude jokes about the customers (some obviously gay, others families with kids), making the thai guy try blue cheese dressing (gag response would be a good description of his reaction), going to the boy shows...then the taxi ride home. Thai guy sleeping half curled up on the back seat with his head on my chest as I splayed out across the back of the taxi. I know that it is a money transaction between he and I (me and he? me and him? oh fuck the grammar) but I have a soft spot for the guy. It almost makes me want to take another trip to Sizzler. Maybe this time the one in Pattaya, even though the boofet is not as good as the one in BKK...or so I have been told by the thai guy.

Dboy
April 17th, 2011, 22:28
I recently found a Thai restaurant in Saudi, where I live called the Pattaya Restaurant. It's run by one of the few Thais still living in Saudi arabia with Thai cooks and fillipino waiters.

There's a "Cafe Pattaya" in Budapest on Vaci Utca (the main tourist street). I was a bit surprised to see the sign! Good food is not that easy to find in Budapest..Cafe Pattaya was ok (just).

The issue with local steaks is that they are not corn fed beef so they taste kinda...weird. So the best steak places are importing beef. The places in Pattaya that usually get good reviews are: Beefeaters, Manhatten's, and Sure Park (outside of town).

Dboy

April 18th, 2011, 00:05
I think it is not so much what they feed them - for my money nothing beats grass fed. I think it is more a case of the breeds you typically find in Thailand which may not necessarily be good for steaks. And then the most important factor by far is that the beef is properly aged before eating. I doubt very much that local beef is aged, if at all.

francois
April 18th, 2011, 00:50

Absolument! For a good steak at a very reasonable price try Enjoy Andre. 300 Baht/300 gram. From Pattaya proceed toward Jomtien on Thrappraya Rd; at Soi 6, turn right and Enjoy Andre is a very short distance. There is a sign on Thrappraya for Andre, but do not go to the bar which is directly under the sign; Andre is on Soi 6. On the opposite side of Thrappraya Rd is Soi 5 where there is a sign for Mikes Mexican restaurant. In high season call for reservation.

Brad the Impala
April 18th, 2011, 01:23
I recently found a Thai restaurant in Saudi, where I live called the Pattaya Restaurant. It's run by one of the few Thais still living in Saudi arabia with Thai cooks and fillipino waiters.

There's a "Cafe Pattaya" in Budapest on Vaci Utca (the main tourist street). I was a bit surprised to see the sign! Good food is not that easy to find in Budapest..Cafe Pattaya was ok (just).

And you won't find either thai staff or good food there, unfortunately!

krobbie
April 18th, 2011, 02:25
My guy, who I have been with for 3.5 years suggested we go to someplace called Tony Roma's for a steak. It was truly awful. I ordered what sounded like a thick juicy steak and when it arrived looked a small piece of schnitzel and was tough. Never again. It was way out in Sathorn toward Chan Road (top end) and there was bugger all eating places there or I wouldn't have bothered.

Cheers
Krobbie

April 18th, 2011, 04:33

The best food in Pattaya, including STEAK, is to be found at Pan Pan in Jomptien. It's on the Pattaya/Jomptien road between the traffic light and the corner. It has the largest desert selection that I've ever seen.

joe552
April 18th, 2011, 04:45
Well, Krobbie, I went to a Tony Roma's in the Canary Islands once, and it was just as you described. Paid a huge amount for crap food.

Always suspicious of 'brand name' steakhouses, but Beefeaters in Pattaya gets good reviews on Tripadvisor. As an Irishman, there's only so much rice I can eat! Need my beef too.

Will try the Beefeater and come back with a review.

cdnmatt
April 18th, 2011, 06:27
I think it is not so much what they feed them - for my money nothing beats grass fed. I think it is more a case of the breeds you typically find in Thailand which may not necessarily be good for steaks. And then the most important factor by far is that the beef is properly aged before eating. I doubt very much that local beef is aged, if at all.

That, and Thais don't know how to cut up a cow. They don't generally differentiate between different cuts of meat, and instead, just sell it by the kilo regardless of what part of the cow it's from. That's why you can get a kilo of eye fillet for 140 baht. Just goto one of the stalls with beef hanging, tell them where to cut, and they're more than happy to oblige. As for aging, that seems to be a hit and miss. I know a couple stalls in town that seem to age their beef a decent while, then after a couple days in marinate, it's excellent!

As for Thais eating steak, I've tried these guys on it once, and they all said it was excellent. The little guy obviously liked it, because I think he ate 3! I cooked more than enough to give the neighbors some, but they ate it all. Tried them out on chicken fajitas as well, and they didn't have any problem putting those down either. Haven't tried a nice pasta out on them yet, and not sure if they'd like that or not, as they've never had pasta in their lives. Don't think I'd ever take them out to a restaurant though, as I doubt they'd be very comfortable there. Probably best to keep the cooking at home.

Dboy
April 18th, 2011, 06:41

Grassfed and corn fed is the same thing, believe it or not.. When ppl say "corn fed" they are talking about the chopped up stalks of corn. It's also called corn grass. It's all the same stuff. I think they are feeding them rice straw in Thailand, and I assume that's a lot of the difference. I think it's really just what we're used to, not really better or worse.

Dboy
April 18th, 2011, 07:03
Haven't tried a nice pasta out on them yet, and not sure if they'd like that or not, as they've never had pasta in their lives.

Learn from my mistake! In my experience they don't like pasta sauces. They are totally fine with pasta, but don't do an Italian style sauce. I think they don't like the acidity of the tomatoes. My attempt to show off in the kitchen was a total disaster, but I think next time I will do something without the tomato. Am pretty sure that would work better. "64 Frame" on south road (next to Friendship) does a really good pasta dish. I will likely steal their idea.

April 18th, 2011, 07:53
[Grassfed and corn fed is the same thing, believe it or not.

Believe it or not - it's not.

On October 15, 2007 the USDA established a standard definition for the "grass fed" claim which requires continuous access to pasture and prevents animals from being fed grain or grain-based products.

April 18th, 2011, 08:07
someplace called Tony Roma's for a steak.

Tony Roma's is primarily known for and became famous for their ribs. If you are looking for American style barbecue pork ribs they are in my opinion some of the best you will find in Thailand. Far superior to Cafe New Orleans. The only other thing worth ordering on the menu is the onion rings.

It has been my experience that if you want a superior steak you go to a steak house.

lonelywombat
April 18th, 2011, 10:53
The first Thai boy I bought to live with me in Australia, was happy for me to buy take away Thai and asian foods for him. A week later I met my nephew for a pub dinner and Tong surprised me by saying he wanted to try farang food. It was a roast dinner and he was always wanting to return again for more of the same.

The roast was served once a week only, so he tried chicken parma, pork, duck, sausages and mash and loved it all. Except he wanted a side of freshly chopped chili every meal. He did not like salads and first time with steak, he balked at medium rare. I sent his back for more cooking, [burnt] then he was happy and declared that farang food was number 1. He liked a home BBQ, both cooking and eating, eating, eating.

He put on a lot of weight in the 3 months he was here, forcing me to buy a replacement wardrobe.

I was interested in the comments on pasta, as parma served here has either napoli or bolognese sauce.

cdnmatt
April 18th, 2011, 11:34
Learn from my mistake! In my experience they don't like pasta sauces. They are totally fine with pasta, but don't do an Italian style sauce. I think they don't like the acidity of the tomatoes. My attempt to show off in the kitchen was a total disaster, but I think next time I will do something without the tomato. Am pretty sure that would work better.

Yeah, I don't think I'd do a tomato based pasta with them, at least not yet. I'll probably try Greek Styled Chicken with them, which if they're going to like pasta, I think that would be a good first bet. It's just fried chicken slices with garlic, which of course is fine for Thais. Then mix penne pasta, zucchini, fried mushrooms, and if wanted, green & red peppers. Then for sauce, it's just chicken broth, flour / cornstarch, lemon juice, garlic powder, and I think that's it. Mix it all up, serve with feta cheese, wine, and bread (with olive oil and red vinegar) and you got a good meal!

I love it, but it's somewhat a pain to cook a nice meal here (and expensive), because I have to cook for say 12 - 14 people. There's 8 of us in the house, 5 of which are young and hungry mouths. Two are growing boys probably just hitting their growth spurt, one is pregnant so no longer shy about putting it away, then there's a young soldier, and then Kim. Then me, mama, papa, and I always give some to the next door neighbor. With the fajitas, I cooked MORE than enough, because I'd rather cook too much than not enough. Sure enough though, every last morsel of food was gone. I'm not complaining, because I wouldn't change anything even if I could. I enjoy having a large family like this.

he did not like salads

Yeah, I've noticed the same. I eat salads all the time, and they're never interested in them. With the steak, I made up a nice caesar salad, and the bloody thing probably cost me 1000 baht after buying bacon bits, parmasen cheese, croutons, and caesar dressing, all of which are imported. Not to mention the 3 hours of screwing around in town, trying to find all the ingredients. They didn't seem to like it at all, and I think I'm the only one who had any.

Marsilius
April 18th, 2011, 12:27
The first Thai boy I bought to live with me in Australia...

An amusing Freudian slip!

lonelywombat
April 18th, 2011, 12:48

Very clever. It was however accurate when reflecting. It cost me an arm and a leg plus a bit more.

April 18th, 2011, 14:08
The best food in Pattaya, including STEAK, is to be found at Pan Pan in Jomptien. It's on the Pattaya/Jomptien road between the traffic light and the corner. It has the largest desert selection that I've ever seen.

Gobi, Arabian, Libyan (popular at the moment) Sahara, Algerian, White, there all there, I find them a bit hot personally....only kidding!!.. :sunny: :sunny:

a447
April 18th, 2011, 19:00
If you want a rest from Thai food, forget Sizzlers and try the Korean buffet on the ground floor of the Royal Garden shopping centre in pattaya. It's awesome, and being Korean, you can still get your chilli fix.

Beachlover
April 18th, 2011, 20:01
The first Thai boy I bought to live with me in Australia, was happy for me to buy take away Thai and asian foods for him. A week later I met my nephew for a pub dinner and Tong surprised me by saying he wanted to try farang food. It was a roast dinner and he was always wanting to return again for more of the same.

The roast was served once a week only, so he tried chicken parma, pork, duck, sausages and mash and loved it all...
When you've been eating Asian food your whole life, Western food can be a real treat. When I was little, Mum only cooked Asian food but once a week we'd have dinner at the local RSL club (kind of like a social club/local pub) and it was a real treat to eat steak, roasted meat with gravy, roast potatos, chips etc. Loved it. Now I've gone back to preferring Asian food...

Thais don't know how to cut up a cow.
Heh... You sound like such a Canadian redneck... :blackeye:

There's 8 of us in the house, 5 of which are young and hungry mouths. Two are growing boys probably just hitting their growth spurt, one is pregnant so no longer shy about putting it away, then there's a young soldier, and then Kim. Then me, mama, papa, and I always give some to the next door neighbor. With the fajitas, I cooked MORE than enough, because I'd rather cook too much than not enough. Sure enough though, every last morsel of food was gone. I'm not complaining, because I wouldn't change anything even if I could. I enjoy having a large family like this.
Wow... So Mama and Papa moved in too? You really are feeding a whole family now. Good on you for making a decent life with a family and all up there. Only a year ago you were all over the place living in shitsville by the sea...

Surfcrest
April 19th, 2011, 04:41
Wow... So Mama and Papa moved in too? You really are feeding a whole family now. Good on you for making a decent life with a family and all up there. Only a year ago you were all over the place living in shitsville by the sea...
Beachlover, your 2 day visit back in the rainy season of 2008 hardly qualifies you to be calling Pattaya shitsville. Clearly you are only looking to troll up another reaction by this comment. A decent life for most of us "old farangs" here has nothing to do with being weighted down by mouths to feed, sharing our privacy with extra people in our home way up in Khon Kaen vs the free and easy life of doing whatever the hell we choose in shitsville.

When you say "young crowd born in Thailand" are you talking about normal Thai boys or commercial sex moneyboys?

The former isn't interested in hanging out with old farangs.
No more than they are interested in cheap, little dick, sticky rice either.

lonelywombat
April 19th, 2011, 06:12
I wondered how long it would be before surfcrest arrived and tried to trash another thread.

Maybe we need something like baht-stop introduced . A poll on Beachlovers posts was introduced two weeks ago.That came after they polled successfully to vote one member off the board.

Surfcrest your smart arse ravings are far from witty or entertaining to anyone bar yourself. Why dont you set up your own forum for your fight, with unclebuck and beachlover.

You will not be missed.

April 19th, 2011, 07:07
I find them most entertaining. Do carry on.

giggsy
April 19th, 2011, 08:05
Yep I think Beachlover made the right decision to not give too much information about himself with all this stalking from Surfcrest. :hiding:

cdnmatt
April 19th, 2011, 10:05
being weighted down by mouths to feed, sharing our privacy with extra people in our home way up in Khon Kaen

Ummm, excuse me. First, they don't weigh me down. And second, I bet I have a far less chance of jumping off a balcony than you do.

thonglor55
April 19th, 2011, 10:15
being weighted down by mouths to feed, sharing our privacy with extra people in our home way up in Khon Kaen
Ummm, excuse me. First, they don't weigh me down. A quick Search can locate at least two posts where you bitch and moan about having to work in order support others. That's not weighing you down?

lexusgs
April 19th, 2011, 12:50
I find them most entertaining. Do carry on.

my sentiments exactly. :laughing3:

Beachlover
April 19th, 2011, 19:55
hardly qualifies you to be calling Pattaya shitsville... free and easy life of doing whatever the hell we choose in shitsville
Surfcrest has become a sworn defender of Pattaya's respectable reputation and enacted a new rule: Only "multiple billion dollar company" men like him are allowed to call Pattaya "shitsville" now. :rolling:

cheap, little dick, sticky rice
Oh golly! You've dazzled me with your "multiple billion dollar company" powers again.

First you claim to know with absolute certainty, my ethnicity (Filipino), occupation (toilet cleaner), precise time I've spent in Pattaya (2 days) and education (not smart enough for university). Now you're claiming to know my dick size and spending habits too? :rolling:

Which asset did you use to find this out? Was it the "private investigators", "hackers" or drug addicted prostitutes you claim to have at your fingertips? :rolling:

April 19th, 2011, 20:04
And as sure as the sun rises, there it is.

thonglor55
April 20th, 2011, 07:49
Once again, it has made my day.

Surfcrest
April 20th, 2011, 15:50
We are three pages in on a thread about chewy steakтАж..are we done?

You threw the shitsville comment out Beachlover knowing full well it would draw a response from me. I don't care what lonelywombat says and frankly I think that's something I share with quite a few members here. You've got quite a bit to say about old people, fat people...any group in the membership here you can look down on. Look at the question in the poll lonelywombat referred to and ask yourself is this just a Surfcrest thing?

Beachlover, the example of what you post and the stories you tell of your time in Bangkok all appear to be referring in one single visit. Why is that?

Want one example of what I post? gay-thailand-f9/bkk-quiet-but-good-time-had-t18352.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/bkk-quiet-but-good-time-had-t18352.html) (bottom of page) Author: Beachlover ┬╗ Wed Sep 09, 2009
You just told the following story on the Airport Express Bus thread, a repeat of the same story youтАЩve told over and over and over again. Why not tell us different stories Beachlover? Prove that IтАЩm wrongтАж.put this argument to rest!

... and I was very grateful to the driver who sped me from the Dusit Thani in Silom to the airport departures doorstep in under 22-23 minutes (I was both frightened and relieved to make my flight LOL).

April 20th, 2011, 16:12
I really enjoy US grain fed Angus beef.
I have had Australian beef at Manhattans and New Orleans. Both are excellent also.
While I have not tried the beef at Bruno's, the lamb from Australia is to die for!
:love4:

gaymandenmark
April 20th, 2011, 16:42
Some of the best beef I have had, though not in Thailand, has been Argentinian. Very tender. What kind of beef do the other members prefer. ?

On an other note, I have met many thai boys who could not dream of eating beef, from what they told I thought there have been some religious reasons or maybe it is just the taste. I must admit when I order a thai dish, I never aske for beef in it, but always chicken, chrimps or pig, because the beef in it is not generelly very good. :love4:

lonelywombat
April 20th, 2011, 18:49
It is well known that the best cuts and the best beef are reserved for the export trade.
The comments in this thread about corn fed beef leaves me cold, but I come from a grass feeding cattle country.

It comes back to what you have become used to, and also how it is cooked.

I love charcoal grill but my European chefs preferred to cook in a frypan in the oven.

I love rare or medium rare but others love it burnt to a frazzle.

Just as an aside I also like my lamb served pink.

lexusgs
April 21st, 2011, 01:25

You threw the shitsville comment out Beachlover knowing full well it would draw a response from me. I don't care what lonelywombat says and frankly I think that's something I share with quite a few members here. You've got quite a bit to say about old people, fat people...any group in the membership here you can look down on. Look at the question in the poll lonelywombat referred to and ask yourself is this just a Surfcrest thing?

Beachlover, the example of what you post and the stories you tell of your time in Bangkok all appear to be referring in one single visit. Why is that?

Want one example of what I post? gay-thailand-f9/bkk-quiet-but-good-time-had-t18352.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/bkk-quiet-but-good-time-had-t18352.html) (bottom of page) Author: Beachlover ┬╗ Wed Sep 09, 2009
You just told the following story on the Airport Express Bus thread, a repeat of the same story youтАЩve told over and over and over again. Why not tell us different stories Beachlover? Prove that IтАЩm wrongтАж.put this argument to rest!

... and I was very grateful to the driver who sped me from the Dusit Thani in Silom to the airport departures doorstep in under 22-23 minutes (I was both frightened and relieved to make my flight LOL).

Don't beat yourself up about it Surfy, BL is clearly some frustrated OAP who gets his rocks off pretending to be something he is not. He was caught out on GBT, banned from Gay Thailand and I think is going or gone the same way at BS. I sussed him months as other forums/individuals have months ago. I just think he needs a release in his life. Still, would be amusing to think he really is a Phillipino bog cleaner :sign5:

April 21st, 2011, 09:31
It is well known that the best cuts and the best beef are reserved for the export trade. It comes back to what you have become used to, and also how it is cooked. I love charcoal grill but my European chefs preferred to cook in a frypan in the oven. I love rare or medium rare but others love it burnt to a frazzle.

Grain fed is very good and I agree wholeheartedly about the rare or medium rare at the most. As far as anything really over that and I will pass as it becomes dry and tasteless to me and I would rather pass on it. Lonely is correct that the best way to eat lamb is definately pink!

I just bought a charcoal grill and cant wait to fire it up as this is the best way to eat beef or lamb. Rather quickly so the outside is cooked quicker than the inside.
Dip it in some Worstishire and a little soy sauce and coat with olive oil. Season the way you prefer. :hello2:

cdnmatt
April 21st, 2011, 11:46
I agree wholeheartedly about the rare or medium rare at the most.

I would generally agree with that too, except in places like Thailand. If you're eating imported beef at nice restaurants for 1000 baht a plate, then you're probably totally fine. Otherwise, I'd probably recommend cooking it a little more than you usually would. One time I cooked it with, not alot, but decent amount of pink, and Kim ended up quite shocked and disgusted. After thinking about it, that's probably a pretty valid concern.

You know, I just go onto the street, see a chunk of beef that's probably been hanging outside in +35C weather for the past 2 or 3 days, and I decide that'd be a pretty good thing to eat. By the time I get possession of it, there's probably small larvaes I can't see, and other shit crawling all throughout it. And unless you eat imported beef, that's probably where your steak is coming from too.

lexusgs
April 21st, 2011, 12:32
It is well known that the best cuts and the best beef are reserved for the export trade. It comes back to what you have become used to, and also how it is cooked. I love charcoal grill but my European chefs preferred to cook in a frypan in the oven. I love rare or medium rare but others love it burnt to a frazzle.

Grain fed is very good and I agree wholeheartedly about the rare or medium rare at the most. As far as anything really over that and I will pass as it becomes dry and tasteless to me and I would rather pass on it. Lonely is correct that the best way to eat lamb is definately pink!

I just bought a charcoal grill and cant wait to fire it up as this is the best way to eat beef or lamb. Rather quickly so the outside is cooked quicker than the inside.
Dip it in some Worstishire and a little soy sauce and coat with olive oil. Season the way you prefer. :hello2:

I guess you mean Worcestershire or Worcester Sauce. A common mistake from our US friends. :blackeye:

lonelywombat
April 21st, 2011, 13:12
I agree wholeheartedly about the rare or medium rare at the most.

I would generally agree with that too, except in places like Thailand. If you're eating imported beef at nice restaurants for 1000 baht a plate, then you're probably totally fine. Otherwise, I'd probably recommend cooking it a little more than you usually would. One time I cooked it with, not alot, but decent amount of pink, and Kim ended up quite shocked and disgusted. After thinking about it, that's probably a pretty valid concern.

You know, I just go onto the street, see a chunk of beef that's probably been hanging outside in +35C weather for the past 2 or 3 days, and I decide that'd be a pretty good thing to eat. By the time I get possession of it, there's probably small larvaes I can't see, and other shit crawling all throughout it. And unless you eat imported beef, that's probably where your steak is coming from too.

Just come from lunch had a magnificent rack of lamb cooked to perfecrion and pink insided.
Matts comments of beef hanging in the street is far from my comprehension.

But surely beef from the supermarket is fine. I am positive that my last visit my friend said he bought lamb on a regular basis.

kittyboy
April 21st, 2011, 15:39

In the United States there are a number of Rent-to-own (RTO) stores. From Wiki - RTO is an informal term for a type of retail storefront businesses which rents assets or items, most typically furniture or home appliances, with the condition that the item will be owned by the renter if the term of rent is finished, or that the lease can be converted to a sale for a nominal fee at that time.

The thai boys I have met have usually been on a RTO basis....Fortunately or Unfortunately I have not been able to convert the arrangements into a final sale.....:) maybe the best outcome for all involved.

ftj_taw
April 21st, 2011, 17:15
I guess you mean Worcestershire or Worcester Sauce. A common mistake from our US friends. :blackeye:

So sorry old chap, but it is now an American product. Owned by no other then H.J. Heinz who markets it both under its own name and as Lea and Perrins.

Therefore, we can darn well call it what we want. Next year we have plans to buy Big Ben, and Balmoral Castle. Just be glad our bid for the wedding was a little low or Kate and William would have had a Nationally televised wedding at Caesar's Palace in Vegas. :rolling:

lonelywombat
April 21st, 2011, 17:44
Therefore, we can darn well call it what we want. Next year we have plans to buy Big Ben, and Balmoral Castle. Just be glad our bid for the wedding was a little low or Kate and William would have had a Nationally televised wedding at Caesar's Palace in Vegas. :rolling:

I guess it would be similar to this????????????????????????

see previous post!
[youtube:33thtihm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug[/youtube:33thtihm]

lexusgs
April 21st, 2011, 17:47

So sorry old chap, but it is now an American product. Owned by no other then H.J. Heinz who markets it both under its own name and as Lea and Perrins.

lol...would that be purchased by yet another over leveraged near bankrupt US multi national? Much like the state of the US economy right now bud. :rolling:

lexusgs
April 21st, 2011, 17:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug[/youtube:1kzowq1r]

Friggin hilarious that one. I checked it out on GTT around 5 days ago. :laughing3:

April 22nd, 2011, 02:19

Yes,

Don't forget the time you lot bought the decrepid old London Bridge when you actually thought you were buying Tower Bridge!.. :laughing3: :laughing3:

You buy all our old crap, is Beckham still playing for LA Galaxy?.. :sunny:

lexusgs
April 22nd, 2011, 04:37

Yes,

Don't forget the time you lot bought the decrepid old London Bridge when you actually thought you were buying Tower Bridge!.. :laughing3: :laughing3:

Now why did n't I think of that...nice one Mr. Quill :headbang:

ftj_taw
April 22nd, 2011, 13:04

London Bridge a perfect example of American ingenuity. First off according to the seller Ivan Luckin and the buyer McCulloch they bought the correct bridge. This old wreck was bought for 2.4 million and took 7 million to tear down, transport and reassemble. Now the 2nd most popular attraction in Arizona it is estimated that McCulloch received an incredible return of over 100,000,000 net on real estate that was basically desert sand. As for Beckham isnтАЩt he one of those sissy kick ballers. One of these days we will have to teach you about real football, assuming there are eleven Brits who can measure up. Yes, our banks did have a blip and we did lose Chrysler to the Italians, but really isnтАЩt it obvious that Britian lost WWII.

JaguarтАФTata India
Land RoverтАФTata India
Rolls Royce---BMW Germany
Astin MartinтАФMagna Steyr Austria
TriumphтАФBMW owns the name
BentleyтАФVolkswagon
MGтАФNanjing Auto China

When are you old imperialist going to wake up and accept our offer of statehood. We will make you our 51st-54th State and give you a real place back in the world. :headbang:

April 22nd, 2011, 15:39
....When are you old imperialist going to wake up and accept our offer of statehood. We will make you our 51st-54th State and give you a real place back in the world. :headbang:

I'm surprised you, on behalf of USA, are apparently giving Scotland a choice of joining-up - don't you normally just INVADE where oil is involved?

:rolling:

April 22nd, 2011, 15:46
[quote="ftj_taw":jl0uhlip]....When are you old imperialist going to wake up and accept our offer of statehood. We will make you our 51st-54th State and give you a real place back in the world. :headbang:

I'm surprised you, on behalf of USA, are apparently giving Scotland a choice of joining-up - don't you normally just INVADE where oil is involved?

:rolling:[/quote:jl0uhlip]

Hi,

You what the Red Indians used to call the United States????........................................ .................OURS!

if that old wreck London Bridge the major tourist attraction in Arizona, then you guys really are easily pleased!!

Anyway,it should make a good photo opportunity for the new owners of the USA when they all arrive to claim their additional living space................China. :sunny:

Whilst the USA is out around the World demanding every country adopt their style of democracy, China is out there buying them up....and let's not forget India or Brazil.

Even the Statue of Liberty is a French import!

Beachlover
April 22nd, 2011, 16:16
You threw the shitsville comment out Beachlover knowing full well it would draw a response from me.
Oh yes, lesson learnt: Never underestimate a тАЬmultiple billion dollar companyтАЭ man. :rolling:

Never mind steak! WeтАЩve had 45 chapters of тАЬBeachloverтАЩs Life StoryтАЭ from you so far. ItтАЩs such a thrill to have a complete stranger call himself my тАЬloving friendтАЭ, describe the miserable life I never knew about and then ask to meet my boyfriend. Not creepy at all LOL. :rolling:

the example of what you post and the stories you tell of your time in Bangkok all appear to be referring in one single visit.
Before, you said all my posts only referred to my 2006/07 visits. Then you said I only referred to a single 2008 visit. Now you say itтАЩs a single 2009 visit...

Well? Did you confuse yourself AGAIN Surfcrest? :rolling:

I hope you donтАЩt do this to your тАЬmultiple billion dollar companyтАЭ shareholders. :rolling:

Beachlover
April 22nd, 2011, 16:19
That's probably because he's living out in the sticks (Khon Kaen) and shopping where Thais buy their fresh produce while you're eating at plush foreigner/tourist oriented eateries in Pattaya.

April 23rd, 2011, 21:50
He wanted to go to Sizzler..I laughed so hard...I mean in the US Sizzler is a couple of steps above fast food in the food industry chain...

http://www.durianseed.com/wp-content/uploads/thailand/bangkok/restaurants/steakhouse/sukhumvit/nana/1271_1_rrb-rib-room-bar-at-the-landmark-hotel.jpg
A very pricey and very good address for Thai and Western meat lovers:

Rib Room Restaurant
The Landmark Hotel Bangkok
138 Sukhumvit Rd, 31st floor

6-11 pm, Reservation: 0-2254-0404 ext. 3100

BTS NANA STATION (Sukhumvit Line, E3) EXIT 2
http://www.bts.co.th/th/images/Station% ... date_s.gif (http://www.bts.co.th/th/images/Station%20Map/E3_update_s.gif)

http://www.landmarkbangkok.com/rrb.html
http://www.bangkok.com/tatler/restauran ... ndbar.html (http://www.bangkok.com/tatler/restaurants/ribroomandbar.html)

Grassfed and corn fed is the same thing, believe it or not..

I don't believe it:

http://www.luciesfarm.com/artman/publish/article_85.php
http://www.johnrobbins.info/blog/grass-fed-beef/
http://www.karinya.com/meat.htm
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_d ... s_fed_beef (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_corn_and_grass_fed_ beef)

Beef encounter: Meet the master taster who can tell a cow's age, gender and breed from one mouthful of meat
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 02716.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/beef-encounter-meet-the-master-taster-who-can-tell-a-cows-age-gender-and-breed-from-one-mouthful-of-meat-1802716.html)

Surfcrest
April 24th, 2011, 01:29
Never mind steak! WeтАЩve had 45 chapters of тАЬBeachloverтАЩs Life StoryтАЭ from you so far. ItтАЩs such a thrill to have a complete stranger call himself my тАЬloving friendтАЭ, describe the miserable life I never knew about and then ask to meet my boyfriend. Not creepy at all LOL. :rolling:

Before, you said all my posts only referred to my 2006/07 visits. Then you said I only referred to a single 2008 visit. Now you say itтАЩs a single 2009 visit...

No Beachlover you have not received 45 chapters of BeachloverтАЩs life story, in fact all that you have is what you have wrote here since January 2008. IтАЩm not going through your 4325 posts and to date, neither are youтАж.because there is nothing there. You know it, I know it and surly the rest of the board knows it by now. You have fabricated your experience in Gay Thailand to justify your constant presence here so you can continue to flood the board with this crap that you make up as you go.

In January 2008 you were telling us Beachlover that you had only been to Thailand twice. Your first trip was direct to Phuket and surrounds and your second trip was to Phuket and Chiang Mai, passing through Bangkok for two 1-night stopovers. I already mentioned your very short visit to Pattaya in August of 2008. Apart from that you mention being in Bangkok for a very short visit Saturday September 5th and gone by Wednesday September 9th 2009.

I have no interest in you BeachloverтАж.I believe nothing that you have ever written here. I have made an excellent case with this assertion and have drawn enough attention to it as well. How you have responded to it confirms it. Especially since it would be easy for you to prove that IтАЩm wrong, by showing us in your 3 years plus worth of existence here on Sawatdee Gay Thailand when you have actually been in Thailand.

Someone as young as you claim to be Beachlover, spending so much time on Gay Thailand message boards, unable to afford to actually go to Thailand, wasting so much of your life here with the old, fat, nut cases you have written so many nasty things about? If anything BeachloverтАж.this is whatтАЩs really creepy.

Brad the Impala
April 24th, 2011, 01:47
Someone as young as you claim to be Beachlover, spending so much time on Gay Thailand message boards, unable to afford to actually go to Thailand, wasting so much of your life here with the old, fat, nut cases you have written so many nasty things about? If anything BeachloverтАж.this is whatтАЩs really creepy.

I thought that you said that you were keeping your bile to your own personal vendetta thread. This seems to be getting to you.

Surfcrest
April 24th, 2011, 02:14
This seems to be getting to you.

No, not at all Brad....but I would think that with a sniper on the roof following this conversation around from thread, to thread, to thread...it would seem it is getting more to you. Thank you for your continued interest in the topic Brad.

RonanTheBarbarian
April 24th, 2011, 02:45
Hmmm.... the Rib Room Restaurant boasts beef that has been "aged for 400 days"

By my calculation, it should have rotted away to nothing by then :dontknow:

Obviously some misunderstanding somewhere. Perhaps they offer you a steak of cured beef?

cdnmatt
April 24th, 2011, 02:48
I have no interest in you BeachloverтАж.

Obviously you do, because you won't shut up about him. If I give you a free cookie or something, would you please quit with the incessant whining?

Fuck me...

gaymandenmark
April 24th, 2011, 03:01

IтАЩm not going through your 4325 posts and to date, neither are youтАж.because there is nothing there. You know it, I know it and surly the rest of the board knows it by now.

:sharm: :sharm: :lam:
And I think no one other than you, on this board, gives a shit.

You are obsessed with Beachlover and so is he visa versa, get a life both of you or consult a shrink.

April 24th, 2011, 03:23
That's probably because he's living out in the sticks (Khon Kaen) and shopping where Thais buy their fresh produce while you're eating at plush foreigner/tourist oriented eateries in Pattaya.

Nah Beachy,

Khonkaen with its own major airport and University as well as being one of the largest cities in the North East could hardly be described as ' in the sticks ' It's actually a very modern city with great hotels and shopping malls.

Surfcrest
April 24th, 2011, 03:27
No matt, obviously I donтАЩt. This is simply about what he writes here. While I might suggest that heтАЩs a Filipino toilet cleaner, IтАЩm sure enough other members here believe heтАЩs a whole lot of other different characters than what he claims to be. ThereтАЩs a big difference between what you write here matt in respect to your experiences in Thailand that what Beachlover tells us. I know you are smart enough to see that the тАЬdots donтАЩt connectтАЭ simply with that. Perhaps you would notice that if you werenтАЩt so busy getting so many hand jobs from him here.

(3) A very bright and open-minded 28 year-old Westerner goes to Thailand, falls in love with a Thai boy and moves to Khon Kaen with him to start a new life and run his online business from there.

joe552
April 24th, 2011, 03:46
Come on, Surfcrest, nobody gives a shit except you. Even if, as you believe, Beachie has rarely been to Thailand, so what?

Get over it and move on. Stop hijacking every f**cking thread with this obsession of yours. By the way, when did you last contribute some new information about Gay Thailand?

thonglor55
April 24th, 2011, 09:36
Khonkaen with its own major airport and University as well as being one of the largest cities in the North East could hardly be described as ' in the sticks ' It's actually a very modern city with great hotels and shopping malls.May I quote from a number of (straight) Khon Kaen ex-pat residents who are written up in the book Retirement in Thailand. The book was written in those heady days when the USD and the GBP were worth something:
If youтАЩre the kind of retiree who wants a quiet place with not much to do that requires brain stimulus, this is a good place to be
Many housing complexes in this area never get finished. My already-built house took two years to get all the small things fixed ... Getting a phone line can take forever {NB: you need a phone line for ADSL}
ADSL can be slow here
I take care of my garden, my two dogs, my wife and her family. UBC TV has good reception to pass the time at night
Life in a village is not as good as it sounds despite the cheaper housing prices. Many expats ... come into my bar to retain their sanity
Get involved in projects ... or youтАЩll drink your life awayThe phrase "putting a brave face on it" springs to mind. Or as the Brits might say "Keeping a stiff upper lip". It seems from the book that these comments are intended as recommendations for Khon Kaen.

By the way I had lunch last week with some friends down from Khon Kaen; they teach at the university. cdnmatt's activities came up in conversation. He may not wish to mingle with the other expats; they are amused by him. The couple I met (yes, a gay couple) were even more amused when I informed them of the nature of cdnmatt's "thriving Internet business". If you see people laughing behind their hands as you pass by, cdnmatt, you may guess why. Oh, and a special message to combat - we lunched at Barbican

cdnmatt
April 24th, 2011, 10:19
Perhaps you would notice that if you werenтАЩt so busy getting so many hand jobs from him here.

No... it's that I have enough on my plate in life to not spend my time obsessing over some anonymous guy on the internet who doesn't impact my life in the slightest.

If you see people laughing behind their hands as you pass by, cdnmatt, you may guess why.

And I would care... why exactly?

they teach at the university.

Ahhh, the amazing farang teachers of Thailand. Oh how I envy them. 55 years old, working full time for that whopping 40,000/month, living in their fancy 1 bedroom apartments. Whew, I get all hot and sweaty just thinking about it. God forbid someone like that looks down on me.

BTW... your quotes were from a book written probably 10 years ago, and most of them seem to be from people living in villages outside of KK, and not actually in KK. For example, internet speed is just fine up here. You can even get 100Mpbs download for 4500/month if wanted. Tech support is also far better than I'd ever get in Canada. Call in the morning, they're here within 3 hours. Call in the afternoon, they're here first thing next morning.

thonglor55
April 24th, 2011, 10:57
they teach at the university.Ahhh, the amazing farang teachers of Thailand. I guess that gold medal you won at a previous Olympic Games in the Jumping To Conclusions event still stands you in good stead. They are not Westerners and I nowhere said they were. Perhaps you inferred that from my comment about the ex-pat community, with whom my friends interact? There is a substantial number of Western-educated Thai teachers at the university, many of them with a strong affinity, so I am told, with krobbie's home country, and they do have interactions with educated ex-pats, some of whom also teach at the university. A person's worth is not measured by their income, although it seems that is concept well beyond your simple comprehension. Perhaps the fact that you have bothered to reply at all might say something about your unconscious insecurity? It is the Thais who look down on you. Buddhism is all about knowledge of oneself and freedom from denial. You, it seems, are still completely in denial and have learned nothing of Thai values.

cdnmatt
April 24th, 2011, 11:18
I guess that gold medal you won at a previous Olympic Games in the Jumping To Conclusions event still stands you in good stead.

Alright, I'll apologize for that one. I just assumed you meant farangs, but obviously not. My apologies.

Perhaps the fact that you have bothered to reply at all might say something about your unconscious insecurity?

Same could be said about you. :-)

It is the Thais who look down on you.

Up to them. If the Thais who actually know me look down on me, they're pretty good at hiding it under the guise of respect and friendship.

A person's worth is not measured by their income, although it seems that is concept well beyond your simple comprehension.

In other words, you're poor and struggling? Otherwise, you're a complete fool if you don't think people (yes, even Thais) don't judge your character at least somewhat based on your wealth. Family excluded of course, but other than that, people do judge you on wealth and income.

Buddhism is all about knowledge of oneself and freedom from denial. You, it seems, are still completely in denial and have learned nothing of Thai values.

And considering your constant hard-on and attacks towards me, you obviously haven't learned much about Thai values either. And for the record, I have no desire to become Thai, Buddhist, or anything else. I'm Canadian, am perfectly content with the morals and values I was brought up with, and they've always served me well, so I think I'll stick with them. At the same time, I have nothing but respect for others' beliefs and values (as long as they don't hurt fellow humans), and from my experience, Thais generally feel the same.

Anyway, we currently have a family of 7 living here, who I'm ultimately responsible for, so I should get back to work so I can ensure we enjoy a good life. Nice talking to you though!

kittyboy
April 24th, 2011, 11:55
[quote="ftj_taw":yturtug5]....When are you old imperialist going to wake up and accept our offer of statehood. We will make you our 51st-54th State and give you a real place back in the world. :headbang:

:rolling:[/quote:yturtug5]

Declining oil production rates in the North Sea Oil fields make Scotland not worth the effort. Too much trouble as well trying to civilize you lot in the American way of life...Though after practicing in Iraq and giving the Iraqis a good dose of democracy and we might be up to the task of civilizing the Scottish people. Discover another huge oil field and the american neocons may target Scotland.

thonglor55
April 24th, 2011, 12:00
If you see people laughing behind their hands as you pass by, cdnmatt, you may guess why.And I would care... why exactly?It's not for me to guess at the psychological make-up of someone so immature but that you do care is evidenced by the fact that when the point was first made you took pleasure, at length, to attack the sort of person you believed to be making it. Either you don't care, in which case you would simply make the remark I've quoted, or you do care, so make this sort of remark:
Ahhh, the amazing farang teachers of Thailand. ... 55 years old, working full time for that whopping 40,000/month, living in their fancy 1 bedroom apartments. Whew, I get all hot and sweaty just thinking about it. God forbid someone like that looks down on me.As you're well aware, computer logic is binary, it's either one thing or the other. Which are you? Someone who doesn't care, or someone who feels threatened knowing that there are people who despise you? Your writings speak volumes.

cdnmatt
April 24th, 2011, 13:10
As you're well aware, computer logic is binary, it's either one thing or the other. Which are you? Someone who doesn't care, or someone who feels threatened knowing that there are people who despise you? Your writings speak volumes.

Let me get this right... someone is calling me immature, but yet believes human personalities and traits are purely black and white? Same as binary code, on or off, and no exceptions. And I'm the immature one. Huh, go figure...

I don't care how anyone lives their lives, and they can do as they please, as long as they don't hurt their fellow human. However, if you take issue with me personally, or anyone I love, then I'm naturally going to get defensive about it. That's human nature, and psychology 101 buddy. Not exactly difficult to understand.

BTW... where are all these Thai values you talk so highly about, while you're blathering on like a retard?

Beachlover
April 24th, 2011, 13:43
No, not at all Brad... it would seem it is getting more to you.
Brad, I think Surfcrest wants to be your тАЬloving friendтАЭ too! Did he ask to come to England and meet your boyfriend yet? :rolling:

I have no interest in you Beachlover...
This kills me! :rolling:

Are you just saying this since I rejected your request to visit me and meet my boyfriend? Or Is it my boyfriend youтАЩre interested in? :rolling:

Sorry, but he has no desire to sleep with a sleazy, scrawny, creep like you for cash and neither do I. Please take your тАЬloving friendтАЭ advances elsewhere. :happy7:

I believe nothing that you have ever written here.
you mention being in Bangkok for a very short visit Saturday September 5th
Have you just contradicted yourself AGAIN Mr тАЬmultiple billion dollarтАЭ man? The number of visits you've recorded keeps growing! :rolling:

Beachlover
April 24th, 2011, 13:50
Khonkaen with its own major airport and University as well as being one of the largest cities in the North East could hardly be described as ' in the sticks ' It's actually a very modern city with great hotels and shopping malls.
You're right, but it's all relative. A population of 120,000 hardly compares to Bangkok, Chiang Mai or even Udon Thani. And it doesn't change the difference between Matt shopping at a local open air market and Lonely's experience eating steak from a nice plush restaurant or local supermarket in a foreigner-oriented place like Pattaya.

Anyway, we currently have a family of 7 living here, who I'm ultimately responsible for, so I should get back to work so I can ensure we enjoy a good life.
Matt, I'm not coming to any assumed conclusions, but do you ever step back and consider if what you're ultimately doing is setting up your income as something Kim's family can mooch off and forget about earning a living in their own right?

It's nice to have family around and fantastic you get along with them but perhaps the way you've rapidly evolved into being the overwhelmingly primary breadwinner providing for all blurs their motives... Just a possibility.

thonglor55
April 24th, 2011, 14:13
Let me get this right... someone is calling me immature, but yet believes human personalities and traits are purely black and white? Same as binary code, on or off, and no exceptions. No, wrong (again). I'm expecting a mature person will have a fixed view about a specific issue that affects them - whether they care what others think of them. Either the mature person cares or they don't, that's what's binary. The fact they you say you don't care but engage in immature name-calling over that, and again in your latest response, shows you behaving like a sullen child who does, in fact, care very much. You can't even grasp that someone might make a point about morality - that a person's worth is not measured by money - without assuming that in the first place worth = money (not the same thing at all) and secondly that that must mean the writer has little or no money. I can say you are emotionally immature because your writings show someone who behaves like a sullen, petulant child, name-calling and bullying. For the record I believe, unlike Beachcrest, that you are behaving appropriately towards the extended family you have decided to take on along with your boyfriend - but that is because it is what Thai society expects of you, so your protestations about being a Westerner through and through simply don't ring true. At least in that regard you are conforming to Thai values where there is no social safety-net, not Canadian ones where there is at least some government support for the poor.

cdnmatt
April 24th, 2011, 14:28
Matt, I'm not coming to any assumed conclusions, but do you ever step back and consider if what you're ultimately doing is setting up your income as something Kim's family can mooch off and forget about earning a living in their own right?

Ahhh, come on, you know me well enough to know I think too much for my own good. :-) Of course I've thought about it, and it's fine. My only condition with mama living here was she has to work, and she's out there 12 hours a day selling gaew-tiao, pays her own way, and all is good. I made it very clear from the beginning, the family can come stay here, but don't expect to live free off my hard work. They have to put in the hours too, and they do.

But no, it's great, and even better than it used to be. I don't know, but I guess turning the house into the families' home, versus mine and Kim's home had quite the impact on the family, because I absolutely never get money requests from anyone anymore. Obviously welcoming them into my home meant more to them than I thought it would. I pay rent and utilities, but they generally take care of themselves, buy soap & detergent, buy and cook their own food, except for the odd time I decide to cook a farang dinner, etc.

This is the same type of thing when I started posting a couple years ago after first meeting Kim, and everyone was telling me how stupid, naive, and ignorant I was. Sure enough, everything worked out great. Am I taking a risk by allowing the family into my life like this? Most definitely. Is the risk worth it? Most definitely.

You know, I'm a gay guy, so it's not like I'll be pumping out kids and starting my own family anytime soon. So if I can consider this my family, that would be amazing. You know, go out on business trips out of country, while knowing this is my home and family, and always look forward to returning to it. I couldn't hope for anything better, and considering how everything is going, that's basically a reality now. I guess give it another year or so to solidify it, but all is well now. :)

April 24th, 2011, 14:48
cdnmatt, are you happy? Do you feel secure? If you are truly happy and feel secure in the relationship you are in, well, that's all that matters.
Here is hoping that you enjoy life to its fullest and being happy!
:love4: :love4:

Brad the Impala
April 24th, 2011, 14:50
This is the same type of thing when I started posting a couple years ago after first meeting Kim, and everyone was telling me how stupid, naive, and ignorant I was. Sure enough, everything worked out great. .

Not everyone! A vast majority granted, especially those who don't venture beyond Chon Buri. Very happy that it is working out so well.

Beachlover
April 24th, 2011, 15:57
Ahhh, come on, you know me well enough to know I think too much for my own good. :-)
Just don't let the locals convince you of that! :blackeye:

Of course I've thought about it, and it's fine. My only condition with mama living here was she has to work, and she's out there 12 hours a day selling gaew-tiao, pays her own way, and all is good. I made it very clear from the beginning, the family can come stay here, but don't expect to live free off my hard work. They have to put in the hours too, and they do... I pay rent and utilities, but they generally take care of themselves, buy soap & detergent, buy and cook their own food, except for the odd time I decide to cook a farang dinner, etc.
Hey, that's great! It shows the possibility I suggested MIGHT be true is definitely not. Sounds like you thought this through clearly before going through with it...

if I can consider this my family, that would be amazing. You know, go out on business trips out of country, while knowing this is my home and family, and always look forward to returning to it.
Sounds sweet... Here's hoping it goes well for you!

You know, I'm a gay guy, so it's not like I'll be pumping out kids and starting my own family anytime soon.
Well, if you did actually want kids and have a really stable relationship... there's always surrogacy.

Khor tose
April 24th, 2011, 16:09
You know, I'm a gay guy, so it's not like I'll be pumping out kids and starting my own family anytime soon. So if I can consider this my family, that would be amazing. You know, go out on business trips out of country, while knowing this is my home and family, and always look forward to returning to it. I couldn't hope for anything better, and considering how everything is going, that's basically a reality now. I guess give it another year or so to solidify it, but all is well now. :)

Go for it Matt. Even if for some strange reason it does not work out, it still soounds like it would be a great learning experience. Not everything is life can be decided by using your head, sometimes the best results come from following your heart. If we do not take chances with life we do not grow.

danny99
April 24th, 2011, 16:16
Sizzler is quite popular with younger Thais although I would not eat there; as you say, a step above fast food. My Thai bf enjoys a good steak but it must be thick, tender and juicy, just the way I like my meat.

Thai-American to be precise. Local franchise owned by the same man who fought with Pizza Hut in Thailand over that country franchise which he also started and then converted them all overnight to a 'similar' name.

Sizzler came and went in Australia, quality so bad [at that price no wonder] even the pensioners stopped going [they were the late afternoon business, bussed from the retirement villages]

April 24th, 2011, 16:25
Beachy,

I am not having a go but Khonkaen, believe me, I have built four houses in Kalasin down the road, is not,if they are referring to the City itself ' in the sticks ' nor for that matter are Kalasin or Roi Et.

Boring, Yes! nothing to do for Foreigners, Yes, Attitudes a bit hill billy, Yes.

They do however, have the infrastrcture of Malls, Tesco Lotus, 7-11 s, Banks, airports,big names such as Sofitel etc.

A different pace and way of life, but they consider this ' real ' Thailand. This is why the youngsters now with TV, the internet and such many set off for Bangkok, Pattaya etc, because THEY ARE BORED OUT OF THEIR MINDS up there. I did enjoy the easy pace up there when I was recovering from serious illness.

I consider ' in the sticks ' when I went to the Royal projects for the Hill Tribes with no running water as such or plumbing, very basic electric supply, miles from anywhere and out of touch with the outside World mainly, that type of thing.

You can see meat hanging outside on the edge of Pattaya for that matter, and just look at some of the filth in the market in South Pattaya, hardly up to Western/anyones hygiene standards. Tam's brother had worms twice from such markets in PATTAYA, and he's a hill billy,( Baan nork) Ha! seriously.

He was appalled by the hygiene and food in Pattaya and soon buggered himself back up home to civilisation in Kalasin.

Beachlover
April 24th, 2011, 16:39
Sizzler came and went in Australia, quality so bad...
You can say that again!

I remember going to sizzler in Sydney once or twice when I was a kid... Freaking awful. Sorry, but "quality" is NOT the feeling the Sizzler brand name brings to my mind now. So much so, I would probably struggle at first to muster any desire to go to a Sizzler restaurant in Thailand or anywhere else. The quality of the food was like the Pizza Hut all you can eat buffet (also inedible) is now.

Beachlover
April 24th, 2011, 16:41
Khonkaen, believe me... is not... in the sticks
I consider ' in the sticks ' when I went to the Royal projects for the Hill Tribes with no running water as such or plumbing, very basic electric supply, miles from anywhere and out of touch with the outside World mainly, that type of thing.
Ah well, it's just a difference of opinion/definition then! I mean, I'd consider living in a suburb 1-2 hours drive from the CBD/centre of Sydney to be "in the sticks"! I think it's an Australian city-dweller thing. I've spent plenty of time in places with no running water etc. but I refer to that as being "remote" or "in the wild".

They do however, have the infrastrcture of Malls, Tesco Lotus, 7-11 s, Banks, airports,big names such as Sofitel etc.
I don't doubt that at all... That's just as Matt described it. I doubt he or many/any other farangs (aside from hermits) would live there if that weren't the case.

I know there's a Pullman Hotel there... I think that's the "Sofitel" you're referring to (same group).

April 24th, 2011, 17:02
Khonkaen, believe me... is not... in the sticks
Ah well, it's just a difference of opinion/definition then! I mean, I'd consider living in a suburb 1-2 hours drive from the CBD/centre of Sydney to be "in the sticks"! I think it's an Australian city-dweller thing. I've spent plenty of time in places with no running water etc. but I refer to that as being "remote" or "in the wild".

I don't doubt that at all... That's just as Matt described it. I doubt he or many/any other farangs (aside from hermits) would live there if that weren't the case.

I know there's a Pullman Hotel there... I think that's the "Sofitel" you're referring to (same group).

Hi,

I stayed there in a MASSIVE suite, biggest I have stayed in for ' 2300 baht special promotional discount ' a few years ago.... Translation:-.. The hotel was quiet! I know I am just a cynic. The suite was stunning and you could have lived a week in the bathroom alone.

The hotel had a glass lift from the bar area to your suite which I thought was very trendy in those days for Khonkaen!

cdnmatt
April 24th, 2011, 17:20
A different pace and way of life, but they consider this ' real ' Thailand. This is why the youngsters now with TV, the internet and such many set off for Bangkok, Pattaya etc, because THEY ARE BORED OUT OF THEIR MINDS up there.

Well, what can they do in Bangkok that they can't do up here? Other than sell their ass, get mugged, robbed, or raped of course. I guess that happens more seldom up here than in Bangkok, but other than that, I think pretty much anything you can do in Bangkok, you can do here too. I guess there's probably no indoor ice hockey rink in KK, and shit like that, but nonetheless...

You can see meat hanging outside on the edge of Pattaya for that matter

heh, yeah, that's probably what it is. They just hide it from view, so the average tourist doesn't see where their cheap 300 baht steak dinner comes from, lol

April 25th, 2011, 00:43
I think it's an Australian city-dweller thing.

I have many friends and family members that are "Australian city-dwellers" and they certainly don't exhibit this dismissive, mocking prejudice.

April 25th, 2011, 01:57
What I see is two people going back and forth and back and forth about who stayed where and for how long.
I see many members asking why Beachlover and Surfrest are so infatuated with each other. Why they cant just post their informative stuff or non informative stuff and let each other live their own lives. BUT you see last time I stuck my nose in the middle of this, it started a new war waged on myself and my bar and I was well you know what was alleged. Dont worry, nobody has forgotten. I am just still waiting for the person who volunteered to actually come down to the bar so he can put closure on the unknown and report back to all of you what he sees with his own eyes. Meanwhile stop hijacking every single thread with this bullshit. Anybody can be 20 years old, blonde hair, blue eyes if they want to be. Nobody has the right to be the policemen of the world, well except us Americans, or should I say Policeman of the board.

:hello1:

An after thought:
I am an American., so I can say that if I want! :occasion9:

gaymandenmark
April 25th, 2011, 02:23
This has become so childish.
I dont know about your bar justmee, and I am not going into any discussion about 500 tbh or 1000 tbh. Surf versus Beach.
But as you just wrote, neither Mr. Surfer og Mr. Beach gives any information about Gay Thailand, they are just fighting about eachother and maybe about you.

In fact now I rebember why I did not care to open my account again, some years ago, when I had some problems with my password.

There are many speculations on this board about who is who, but maybe Mr. Surf and Mr. Beach, Surfing is done on the Beach, is just the same schizophrenian person, fighting with himself. That could explain why they are so obsessed with or about eachother or maybe even in love, without knowing or admit it. Spooky isn't it ? :thebirdman: :hiding:

April 25th, 2011, 02:27
I am an American., so I can say that if I want! :occasion9:

Indeed. Your inalienable right to be stupid.

April 25th, 2011, 04:11
What I see is two people going back and forth and back and forth about who stayed where and for how long.

тАЬWhat you seeтАЭ huh? There has never been a discussion between Beachlover and I on who stays where.

OMG!! Now you dont even understand what YOU are psoting you are so obsessed! EVERY POST of yours is telling BL to prove where he has been, how long, when, what piss hole he has taken a leak in....I mean PLEASE! Give it a break!

April 25th, 2011, 04:12
Nobody on the public board gives a shit.

Speak for yourself. I for one find it highly entertaining how Surfcrest can keep Beachlover and Justme dancing all over the board. Are you about to join the act?
Interesting that you don't castigate BL and JM for always rising to the bait without fail. Particularly Justme who had promised to not post on the subject again.

April 25th, 2011, 04:18
Particularly Justme who had promised to not post on the subject again.
Exsqueeze me, I promised not to post about the 500 - 1,000 baht again.....I do believe.

AKAHagrid-old
April 25th, 2011, 04:36
Twenty-five.

The first twenty-five posts of the (currently) 105 posts were at least *somewhat* related to Sizzler. The ensuing 80-and-counting posts have been dedicated to the infantile and completely unrelated slagging of various parties. Christ, at this point, even *I* hate fags, and I *am* one.

cdnmatt
April 25th, 2011, 04:41
Christ, at this point, even *I* hate fags, and I *am* one.

I'll be your fag. :-)

http://www.fabulousapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/faghag1-300x225.jpg

gaymandenmark
April 25th, 2011, 06:36
In fact I dont understand why the moderators dont stop this childish fighting bewteen Mr. Surf and Mr. Beach.
They are destroying any topic on this board.

April 25th, 2011, 07:03
There is really kinda only one moderator and he is not full time so to speak. I guess it has its pluses and minuses.
And a comment stating I was still waiting for this person to0 come down, surely is only keeping people from wondering when the opinion would be posted or if at all.
:thebirdman: :tongue3: :thebirdman: But you know that already, you are just trying to wind me up. Bad girl! :tongue3:

April 25th, 2011, 07:39
OK, you win, I am in denial. Thank you!
:love4: :love4:

lexusgs
April 25th, 2011, 13:52
Then why do you insist on sticking your nose in the middle of this? You are like the kid that keeps getting his tongue stuck to the metal pole in the middle of winter....and why do you keep racking up this issue when you have nothing new to add?

Oh my fucking god, are you ever stupid.

You do realize that you're beginning to come off as someone who's towing the line between simply being obsessed vs. being mentally handicapped, right? Seriously, it would be wise for you to shut up now. If you have that much of a beef with BL, take it to PM. Nobody on the public board gives a shit.

I find it quite amusing to watch this. Also, what gives you the right to assume what people want to see. I'm loving it :rolling:

witchhunt
April 25th, 2011, 14:34
Twenty-five.

The first twenty-five posts of the (currently) 105 posts were at least *somewhat* related to Sizzler. The ensuing 80-and-counting posts have been dedicated to the infantile and completely unrelated slagging of various parties.

Maybe it is time someone opened Sizzler mark 2, thread

newalaan
April 25th, 2011, 16:24
Thank goodness the thread has taken a detour. How much can you write about a 'Sizzler' restaurant anyway? That's more like gaybuttonthai blog fodder.

In fact I dont understand why the moderators dont stop this childish fighting bewteen Mr. Surf and Mr. Beach.
They are destroying any topic on this board.For christ's sake, why do you need a moderator? are your hands and fingers incapacitated? Can't press all the necessary buttons to take you past posts/posters you don't like all by yourself? IT'S EASY! when you see a post by Surfcrest or Beachlover, do what I do...whizz past it. Why do you need a moderator to do that for you? The child would be the one who can't seem 'moderate' by himself.
Twenty-five. The first twenty-five posts of the (currently) 105 posts were at least *somewhat* related to Sizzler. The ensuing 80-and-counting posts have been dedicated to the infantile and completely unrelated slagging of various parties. Christ, at this point, even *I* hate fags, and I *am* one.And your one-post valuable contribution to the subject is? Anything 'relating' to 'sizzler'? No, just a complaint! Yours would make that 'unrelated' total now 81-and-counting.
I for one find it highly entertaining how Surfcrest can keep Beachlover and Justme dancing all over the board.I think it's fairly clear Surfcrest has done quite an amount of 'dancing' himself on this one.

Beachlover
April 25th, 2011, 16:30
Well, what can they do in Bangkok that they can't do up here? Other than sell their ass, get mugged, robbed, or raped of course. I guess that happens more seldom up here than in Bangkok, but other than that, I think pretty much anything you can do in Bangkok, you can do here too. I guess there's probably no indoor ice hockey rink in KK, and shit like that, but nonetheless...
Are you serious? Khon Kaen might have lots, but like any other small city, I doubt it compares to Bangkok as far as opportunity goes. In Bangkok, they probably have wider career prospects, bigger job market, more opportunities, more places to explore and hang out in etc.

kittyboy
April 28th, 2011, 06:16
Are you serious? Khon Kaen might have lots, but like any other small city, I doubt it compares to Bangkok as far as opportunity goes. In Bangkok, they probably have wider career prospects, bigger job market, more opportunities, more places to explore and hang out in etc.

The hallmarks of modern civil life are an abundance of American fast food restaurants, buttressed by chains of other American food restaurants (such as Sizzler, Tomy Roma and the like), all placed in American style Mega malls modeled after the Mall of America. Only then can a place be considered fit for civilized living. I have not been to Kho Kaen...but I suspect it falls short..

BL -- Your opinion matters...What is your weighty views on civilized living...For or against Fast food chains and mega malls?

:thebirdman:

The count down begins 5,4,3,2,1, - and now operant conditioning takes over and BL responds.

cdnmatt
April 29th, 2011, 02:10

I guess I don't really know what I'm talking about, because I don't conduct business in Thailand, but I think I'd have to disagree. Even just a simple 10 minute drive around will tell you there's loads of opportunity here. Lots of property development, wealthy businessmen and women going about their days, etc. Sure, Bangkok has a larger job market, but there's also something like 12 million people versus say 400,000 people. There's definitely a good amount of money flowing around here though, and enough to keep someone busy.

Kids here have everything thing they need. Pretty near every organized sport is available, there seems to be a school every 3 blocks, there's three hospitals, just the one main university in town has 40,000+ students, etc. And that's just one university. There's 3 or 4 of them within a 30km radius. I don't know, but I can't possibly see how anyone is deprived of resources or opportunity up here.

It's just the perception of Issan the media portrays, but in reality, it's not like that at all.

francois
April 29th, 2011, 02:41
It's just the perception of Issan the media portrays, but in reality, it's not like that at all.

My bf is from Issan and he would disagree with you, but, to keep on track, he does not like Sizzler.

cdnmatt
April 29th, 2011, 02:45

My bf is from Issan and he would disagree with you, but, to keep on track, he does not like Sizzler.

How so? From my view, it's almost like everywhere else in the world. Lots of poor people, majority middle class, and a small percentage wealthy. Nothing new about that.

I'm actually curious, how so?

PS. I'm talking about the cities in Issan, not all the surrounding villages, which is a different story.

francois
April 29th, 2011, 04:23
PS. I'm talking about the cities in Issan, not all the surrounding villages, which is a different story.

The bf is from a village not a city. Why do you think he left home to come to Pattaya? It was not for a steak at Sizzler.

kittyboy
April 29th, 2011, 09:56
Some years ago I used to spend a great deal of time with a Thai young man who was desperate do do everything in his power to appear and act as "western" as possible. When we went to breakfast he would regularly order steak and chips!

I am living in china at the moment and I see a similar phenomenon. Many of my students will go to Starbucks buy an expensive coffee or drink and hang out because it is "Western" or they will go to Pizza Hut (or the local expat version of a Pizza Hut) and spend a fair bit of money on dinner because it is more of a "Western" experience. I guess we are all looking for something new and different in our lives..but coming from the US, for me Starbucks is an average cup of coffee and Pizza Hut is a very bland experience but for them it is not the food but the experience.

I have a trip to thailand coming up in a couple of weeks. I may skip taking the thai guy out to dinner and take him to Nab disco instead. Spend the money on decent Johnny Walker (Which he can drink amazing volumes of) and skip the American Corporate Food chain experience. I get much enjoyment out of watching him and his friends get drunk...

As an aside...When in thailand I go to I think it is called Minks restaurant near sunee plaza for the Masaman curry...God. living in China I miss a half decent curry.

wunnie
April 30th, 2011, 12:54
I took a guy to the Central Cinema then offered him a choice of any restaurant in the Mall. I couldn't believe it when he chose KFC!

May 10th, 2011, 22:52
I would be grateful to be with a Thai boy that favored western foods. My thinking is that it would reduce the likelihood of them dashing off to a local cricket and grub vendor for a quick snack prior to a session. I don't really care what one decides to eat but the thought of getting cozy with a guy with nasty bits and pieces in his mouth turn me off. Then again...the thought of other objects in their mouths can be equally disturbing. I won't elaborate. I guess the lesson is to make sure you carry a spare toothbrush, floss, maybe toothpicks and mouthwash handy for their use as a courtesy.

May 10th, 2011, 23:52
I would be grateful to be with a Thai boy that favored western foods. My thinking is that it would reduce the likelihood of them dashing off to a local cricket and grub vendor for a quick snack prior to a session. I don't really care what one decides to eat but the thought of getting cozy with a guy with nasty bits and pieces in his mouth turn me off. Then again...the thought of other objects in their mouths can be equally disturbing. I won't elaborate. I guess the lesson is to make sure you carry a spare toothbrush, floss, maybe toothpicks and mouthwash handy for their use as a courtesy.

You have to be having us all on, right?

thonglor55
May 11th, 2011, 03:40
I don't really care what one decides to eat but the thought of getting cozy with a guy with nasty bits and pieces in his mouth turn me off.For those of us with beards, it can be really tricky getting rid of all the dried semen after a boy comes on my face.

kittyboy
May 15th, 2011, 08:58

I can quite understand your concern...say your boy is fresh back from the grub stand and you are about to initiate a bit of foreplay and he is still sucking on a grasshopper leg which causes it to quiver and move about a bit while stuck between his teeth, giving it the appearance that is might still be putting up a valiant struggle for life and if a stroke of luck hit just right fly out of the dear boys mouth in a bid for freedom and fly into your own mouth which is open with astonishment, when in point of fact it is just the grasshopper leg being sucked on and agitated and not the whole and living thing but only a small part of a very dead and partially digested whole grasshopper.

An experience like that might put me off foreplay for a good 15 minutes or so..much much better to take your guy to a standardized western food chain to avoid the possibility of grasshopper mouth....I recommend the buffet at sizzler...the one in BKK...

DCbob
May 16th, 2011, 23:18
Thank goodness the thread has taken a detour. How much can you write about a 'Sizzler' restaurant anyway? That's more like gaybuttonthai blog fodder.

Threads do not need to take a detour. PMs would serve for that, and starting new threads would too.
Some people, I am included, do not like looking at other people's dirty laundry or smelling it as far at that goes.