PDA

View Full Version : Opening a Bank Account?

April 12th, 2011, 08:14
I go to Thailand every year for 6 weeks. It would be great if when I arrive I could just deposit my money into a bank account and withdraw as needed. Has anyone had any luck with opening an account in Pattaya or Bangkok with 2 month tourist visa? If so which branch and bank? Do they require an address and is it ok to use a Thai friends address?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

April 12th, 2011, 08:56
I go to Thailand every year for 6 weeks. It would be great if when I arrive I could just deposit my money into a bank account and withdraw as needed. Has anyone had any luck with opening an account in Pattaya or Bangkok with 2 month tourist visa? If so which branch and bank? Do they require an address and is it ok to use a Thai friends address?Thanks in advance for any advise.
I have opened accounts before I had a retirement visa at both Bangkok Bank in Bangkok and Thai Military Bank in Pattaya. I used my address at that time which was at a HOTEL. They dont check addresses or phone numbers. They just want your money! What freinds tell me also, there is no problem opening it up in any bank any branch.
Please let me know if you experience otherwise.

anakot
April 12th, 2011, 09:24
I go to Thailand every year for 6 weeks. It would be great if when I arrive I could just deposit my money into a bank account and withdraw as needed. Has anyone had any luck with opening an account in Pattaya or Bangkok with 2 month tourist visa? If so which branch and bank? Do they require an address and is it ok to use a Thai friends address?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

I opened a bank account a few years ago at the Pattaya Branch of Ayudhaya Bank. Every time I visit i deposit and use the ATM card to withdraw. You pay a 30 baht fee for all withdrawls at any other branch including AB except at your home branch but it is still worth it.

for a while I didn't vist PTYA and stayed at Lumphini and used the AB Branch on Rama 4 near Soi Ngam Duplee. I got to know one of the clerks there and he changed my passbook and the whole bit so that Lumphini Branch became my home branch. It was all done in about 10-15 minutes. It certainly is true if they want to do anything for you in Thailand they can do it...

No doub the reverse is true.

It might pay to wear a nice shirt and tie if you have one when you visit. Or at least leave the shorts and hawaiian shirt open to the hairy belly at home (Hotel)!

dab69
April 12th, 2011, 09:51
great way bring vacation funds to Thailand)by wire) ?

wonder if you can wire money back to your home bank if inused/wanted there?

netrix
April 12th, 2011, 11:50
Take a look at Bangkok Bank online. I like them because the New York Branch (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/About%20Bangkok%20Bank/About%20Us/International%20Branches/Pages/Branch%20in%20USA.aspx)
makes online transfers easy. Use your ATM card while in Thailand and avoid
exchange rate fees and withdrawal fees.

April 12th, 2011, 20:37
What't the point of opening a bank account for a short term holiday. When transferring money from any country there is a fee anyway. UK people can get free Travellers Cheques just as good.

anonone
April 12th, 2011, 23:30
Take a look at Bangkok Bank online. I like them because the New York Branch (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/About%20Bangkok%20Bank/About%20Us/International%20Branches/Pages/Branch%20in%20USA.aspx)

I am really interested in this. Care to share any more info or confirm my understanding?

If I understand correctly, I can open an account with Bangkok Bank on my next trip to Thailand and get an ATM card. According to their website, Passport plus US driver's license is all that is needed for a simple savings account, even with just a tourist visa. But it has to be done in Thailand...which is fine with me.

Then, prior to future trips, I can just electronically transfer funds from regular account into my Bangkok Bank account....Is this correct?

I assume that there is an exchange fee to get the funds from US $ to Thai Baht. When does this happen (upon transfer of funds into Bangkok account?....upon withdrawal in Thailand?) and is it at a good rate?

It would be nice to have a local account and not have to shell out 150 Baht every time I hit the ATM.

Sounds almost too good to be true....

Anyone know if there are Bangkok Bank ATMs or branches close to Sunee, Boyztown, Jomtien Complex, Day Night, etc?
Their website only has addresses...not maps.

Thanks.

martin911
April 13th, 2011, 00:02

I am really interested in this. Care to share any more info or confirm my understanding?

If I understand correctly, I can open an account with Bangkok Bank on my next trip to Thailand and get an ATM card. According to their website, Passport plus US driver's license is all that is needed for a simple savings account, even with just a tourist visa. But it has to be done in Thailand...which is fine with me.

Then, prior to future trips, I can just electronically transfer funds from regular account into my Bangkok Bank account....Is this correct?

I assume that there is an exchange fee to get the funds from US $ to Thai Baht. When does this happen (upon transfer of funds into Bangkok account?....upon withdrawal in Thailand?) and is it at a good rate?

Hi
Its so easy with K bank (Kasikornbank)-- i went to the big branch at Tukom --all i had was passport (with only 1 month visa at the time ),my rental bill from Mosaik ,and about 5000 baht --
In about 10 min i had a account opened and a debit/atm card and bank book in my hand --it was that simple !!!!
So now what i do is get my home bank to buy thai Bhat and transfer to my Kbank account (usually will get same day value in Thailand )
The debit card is so handy for restaurants/shops etc
There does not seem to be many Bangkok bank branches/atms around Pattaya ,id rec Kbank if u spend a lot of time in Pattaya

April 13th, 2011, 01:24
Martin911, my business checks go into my US bank and once a month I wire here to Thailand also. My bank ALSO gives me a choice of wiring in US dollars or Thai baht and claims that it is faster and protects me should the dollar fall. What I have found though is that the rate that they give me to send it in Thai baht is lower than if i send in US dollars and the Thai bank converts it. ALSO, I have noticed NO DELAY in tranfer of funds. Either way I tried (and thats why I figured it out), it took the same amount of time to get here.

francois
April 13th, 2011, 02:58

It would be nice to have a local account and not have to shell out 150 Baht every time I hit the ATM.

Anyone know if there are Bangkok Bank ATMs or branches close to Sunee, Boyztown, Jomtien Complex, Day Night, etc?

Thanks.

You probably can open a savings account with Bangkok Bank as you describe. But you cannot do internet banking with this account. To put funds from the US to Thailand you would have to do a wire transfer, either directly or via the NY branch of Bangkok Bank and that may not be so easy as some say. Usual wire transfers may cost $30 to $40 USD which is charged by your US bank at time of transfer.

Bangkok Bank has ATM at Tukcom which is close to Day-Night and Sunee; there is an ATM at Royal Garden and other big shopping malls; there is a main branch near VC Hotel and other ATMs scattered around Pattaya.
You can withdraw funds at any bank's ATM in Pattaya, without charge, to best of my knowledge.

pennyboy
April 13th, 2011, 03:03
I opened a savings account with SCB with a tourist visa and my hotel's business card. The whole thing took about 20 minutes. I make electronic transfers from my Uk bank at under 10 pounds per transfer . This would be 20 pounds for instructions by telephone. I always make my transfers in pounds sterling and let SCB convert into Thai baht.

Up2U
April 13th, 2011, 04:46
Bangkok Bank has different types of accounts depending on your length of stay and visa status:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Ba ... 20new.aspx (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx)

netrix
April 13th, 2011, 08:14

Thanks.

Yes, you have it right. I have a savings account I opened in BKK, and I transfer money from my US CitiBank Account to
the Bangkok Bank account via their NY branch. The fees are reasonable. For example, my Citi Gold checking account
charges just $12.50 because the NY Bangkok Bank branch is a domestic account.

If you're transferring up to $2,000 USD, Bangkok Bank charges $5.00 only to receive. $2k - $50K is only $10 USD.

all the info is in these 2 links:
Opening an Account with Bangkok Bank (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx)
Bangkok Bank Funds Transfer (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20USA/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20USA.aspx)

By the way, transfers are fast and you can do it all online with Citi.

There are other solutions to avoid the ATM fees. For example, some of the guys on Thai Visa were talking about using
an account from Charles Schwab, ING Direct, or TD Ameritrade for a savings account with a Visa debit card, and the
account does not charge any ATM fees. the infamous 150 baht fee is charged but reimbursed at the end of the month.

If you don't know, using the ATM card issued by Bangkok Bank costs you nothing if you use it in the province where you
opened your bank account. Outside that, they generally charge 20 baht per transaction.

P.S. And, when you wire funds (at least from the US), make sure you designate that the transfer is in US dollars and not
in Thai baht. If made in Thai baht, you'll usually get a worse exchange rate.

ikarus
April 13th, 2011, 09:26
[quote=netrix]Take a look at Bangkok Bank online. I like them because the

Yes, you have it right. I have a savings account I opened in BKK, and I transfer money from my US CitiBank Account to
the Bangkok Bank account via their NY branch. The fees are reasonable. For example, my Citi Gold checking account
charges just $12.50 because the NY Bangkok Bank branch is a domestic account.

If you're transferring up to $2,000 USD, Bangkok Bank charges $5.00 only to receive. $2k - $50K is only $10 USD.

all the info is in these 2 links:
Opening an Account with Bangkok Bank (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/About%20Bangkok%20Bank/About%20Us/International%20Branches funds into Bangkok account?....upon withdrawal in Thailand?) and is it at a good rate?

Thanks.[/quote)
Bangkok Bank Funds Transfer (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20USA/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20USA.aspx)

By the way, transfers are fast and you can do it all online with Citi.

There are other solutions to avoid the ATM fees. For example, some of the guys on Thai Visa were talking about using
an account from Charles Schwab, ING Direct, or TD Ameritrade for a savings account with a Visa debit card, and the
account does not charge any ATM fees. the infamous 150 baht fee is charged[u] but reimbursed at the end of the month.

If you don't know, using the ATM card issued by Bangkok Bank costs you nothing if you use it in the province where you
opened your bank account. Outside that, they generally charge 20 baht per transaction.

P.S. And, when you wire funds (at least from the US), make sure you designate that the transfer is in US dollars and not
in Thai baht. If made in Thai baht, you'll usually get a worse exchange rate.
The best way to move money around the world is to have HSBC Premiere account somewhere (e.g. in US or UK).
Then one can open account with HSBC Thailand (branch in Silom near Dusit hotel). Then one can use their global transfer service to move money through internet for free from any HSBC account to HSBC Thailand account. The money are in your HSBC Thailand account the next working day.
Their ATM card works with any ATM anywhere in Thailand (charge 10 baht per transaction). You cannot beat this scheme.

francois
April 13th, 2011, 18:33
The best way to move money around the world is to have HSBC Premiere account somewhere (e.g. in US or UK).
.[/quote]

I believe a HSBC Premier account requires maintaining $100000 USD on deposit?

April 13th, 2011, 22:08
A good way to transfer cash from the UK to your Thai account at a better rate than that offered by the high street banks is www.ukforex.com (http://www.ukforex.com)

neddy3
April 14th, 2011, 08:51
In answer to the original question:

I don't live in Thailand, but visit regularly. I wanted to open a bank account locally for a number of reasons.
I was advised that Bangkok Bank might be a good one to try. But they wanted to know if I was a resident, and when told no, wanted some paperwork from immigration. Forget it.

Then I tried Kasikorn Bank at Tukcom. Do you have a passport? Yes. Do you have 1,000 baht? Yes. OK, can do.
Any address will do.
Friendly helpful staff, in my experience.

ikarus
April 14th, 2011, 10:27

I believe a HSBC Premier account requires maintaining $100000 USD on deposit?[/quote]
This is correct: in US one needs to have 100000 USD in deposits and investments to avoid monthly fees. But the requirement varies from country to country. E.g. in Malaysia the requirement is 200000 ringit which is around 63000 US, In Vietnam-equivalent of 50000 US etc. Unlike, say, CITIBANK Gold member program with HSBC you need to qualify for Premiere status only in one country to get this status everywhere. E.g. if one keeps 200000 ringit in Malaysia, there is no need to maintain required balance in Thailand (and there will be no fees in Thailand at all).

April 14th, 2011, 15:31
This $100,000 account from HSBC sounds ideal:

I have $20,000,000 - so, can I open 200 of these accounts? I like to spread my money around you see.

I realise this is FAR LESS than most SGT members, so I apologise in advance for taking up their valuable time even reading about such a piddling amount.

:sign5:

francois
April 14th, 2011, 23:17
Yes, the HSBC Premier Account does sound ideal. I sold my Rolls-Royce, invested it in HSBC and now save 20USD every time I transfer 10,000 USD internationally and don't have to pay 150TB at ATMs.

April 15th, 2011, 01:22
Yes, the HSBC Premier Account does sound ideal. I sold my Rolls-Royce, invested it in HSBC and now save 20USD every time I transfer 10,000 USD internationally and don't have to pay 150TB at ATMs.

Francois, I wish you had told me you were selling your Rolls-Royce - as I only have 11 Rolls-Royces right now and I want to make it up to a dozen.

If you are selling any more, be sure to let me know and I'll transfer the funds from one of my HSBC Premier accounts to yours.

:alc:

ikarus
April 15th, 2011, 11:14
I frankly do not quite understand what is your point? Premiere program in HSBC is much better than similar programs offered by other banks e.g. CITIBANK or Standard Chartered. You may get Premiere credit card with each account, keep and invest money in various countries. E.g. keeping money in Sing Dollar, Swiss frank or Aussi Dollar makes much more sense than in UK pound or US dollar. How about getting 5 percent interest in serious saver account with HSBC Australia? HSBC Malta offers free travel insurance for all customers etc. Each time you visit foreign country , you get privileged treatment in special Premiere centers. On top of that you have total control of all your funds and in most cases can instantaneously transfer your funds from country to country with excellent exchange rates and free of charge. HSBC Singapore offers Yuan denominated accounts and term deposits etc. As for keeping some funds with them, I assure you that it is much safer than some community bank in US or UK, where you get lousy service, fees for everything and permanent irritation.
And if some of you, guys, poor as church rats, then just shut up rather then presenting yourself as pure jerks on this message board.

danny99
April 15th, 2011, 14:37
I go to Thailand every year for 6 weeks. It would be great if when I arrive I could just deposit my money into a bank account and withdraw as needed. Has anyone had any luck with opening an account in Pattaya or Bangkok with 2 month tourist visa? If so which branch and bank? Do they require an address and is it ok to use a Thai friends address?.

I have no idea what the current rules are but 10 years ago I checked at BAngkok Bank and they said only for residents, then went to the old Thai Farmers [now Kasikorn] in Suriwongse Road and opened one without a problem. I do what you say and build up a balance prior to visiting. If I also change $$ at airport then I deposit cash notes in machine in front of bank that evening, then use ATM card for withdrawals whenever I want.

Means you never have to carry large amounts of cash on you...much safer in BAngkok! There are ATM machines everywhere and cost is only Baht 100 per year.

Back when I was doing occasional bank transfers to a friend [does not need it now as he has progressed from working at a Juice Bar, straight out of school and 1st job in Bangkok, to a bank employee himself] I was also using their internet banking but that became impossible when they changed the system as they now require SMS verification of internet transactions, ridiculous, not International any more!

fedssocr
April 16th, 2011, 00:40
OP doesn't say where he lives. But if you are in the US on the east coast, the easiest thing to do is just to open an account at TD Bank. You can use your ATM card in Thailand with no fees. They even refund the Bt150 fee that the ATM owners charge. The fees are refunded at the end of the statement cycle. Just make sure when you open your account that it is the type of checking account with these benefits. They recently changed the fee structure for some of their accounts so you should confirm.

Smiles
April 16th, 2011, 08:03
I frankly do not quite understand what is your point? ... "I think Francois's point was that you, Ikarus, are a pompous, humourless ass, and ~ to add my own point ~ have always been as such. I agree and would add that Voldemar is as well.

April 16th, 2011, 08:10
I frankly do not quite understand what is your point? ... "I think Francois's point was that you, Ikarus, are a pompous, humourless ass,

Glad to see someone has a sense of irony

April 16th, 2011, 11:33
I open an bank account at Kasikornbank. The best is that you ask a thai friend to come with you to translate.
Jan

Cees-Holland
April 17th, 2011, 02:23
.. Then I tried Kasikorn Bank at Tukcom. Do you have a passport? Yes. Do you have 1,000 baht? Yes. OK, can do.
Any address will do.
Friendly helpful staff, in my experience.

I open an bank account at Kasikornbank. The best is that you ask a thai friend to come with you to translate.
Jan

I used K-bank too, next to Tukcom in Pattaya, 5 weeks ago.
Minimal 500Baht deposit, if you want a "debitcard", it cost 600Bht(? not sure anymore).
I ask for the "K-Cyber Banking" too, so I can do my bank business online.

a) I transferred some euro's to my K-Bank account (Shared cost) . It did not arrive yet but does someone know how much the fee is for receiving money at the K-Bank?
b) What can you do with a "debitcard" ? (I know I can use it for an ATM and for deposit money..)

ceejay
April 17th, 2011, 02:44
I used K-bank too, next to Tukcom in Pattaya, 5 weeks ago.
Could you please tell me what type of visa you were on? Or was it just the 30 day exemption?

To answer one of your questions, a debit card can be used to buy things or pay bills, on line or in shop that takes cards. It's like using a credit card. The main difference is that there is a real time check on the balance in your account and, if the funds aren't there, the payment is refused. I never use a debit card on line, and I am careful where I use it in shops, restaurants etc. because (for UK cards at least) your protection against fraud is significantly less.

Cees-Holland
April 17th, 2011, 03:45
Could you please tell me what type of visa you were on? Or was it just the 30 day exemption?

Thanks for the "debitcard" info, i can use it is the same as here in Holland. I never have cash money here Holland always pay with my bankcard.

They never asked for any visa.. but they looked at and copied my passport.
I was there on 2 time 2 months tourist visa. But I had older (3 times 2 months) visa's in there too.

They did asked if I have an address in Thailand. I am renting a house I could show them my electric bill.
The whole process took around 30 minutes, afterwards they tell you to go out and change the PIN-card on your debitcard directly.
They never send any papers to the house nor did they checked if I live there, I guess any house address in Thailand will do.

BTW 1. I tried opening an account at the K-bank in Chon Buri city, it didn't work out.
BTW 2. When I went to "Dreamworld" in BKK, I didn't have to pay as a farang. Showing my debitcard was enough to let me go in for the Thai-price.

April 17th, 2011, 08:03

Francois, I wish you had told me you were selling your Rolls-Royce - as I only have 11 Rolls-Royces right now and I want to make it up to a dozen.

If you are selling any more, be sure to let me know and I'll transfer the funds from one of my HSBC Premier accounts to yours.

:alc:

You still driving Rolls Royces, how out of date and tacky you've become, not bothering talking to you anymore! :laughing3:

Hello Ikarus :hello2:

anonone
April 17th, 2011, 17:18
Before this very helpful thread is overtaken by disputes, can anyone provide some info on the exchange rates or costs involved in transferring funds from US to a Thai account?
I am trying to figure out if opening a Thai account is worth the trouble. I am a frequent visitor, but for shorter time periods.

If I open up an account with K bank (as seems to be the best option based on info here) can I transfer money from my US based home account electronically?
Is it at a decent exchange rate / same as any other way?
Any fees that I should be aware of?

Many thanks to those in the know willing to provide some guidance.

April 18th, 2011, 04:25
What a particularly horrible person you must be. I know your intent was to throw shit but really, you take the cake for the most unpleasant person on the board presently. :bootyshake:

Thanks Krobbie, it's nice to know others feel the same, a very unpleasant person indeed.

thonglor55
April 18th, 2011, 06:58
What a particularly horrible person you must be. I know your intent was to throw shit but really, you take the cake for the most unpleasant person on the board presently.Thanks Krobbie, it's nice to know others feel the same, a very unpleasant person indeed.Have I lost my crown so soon? Away for the week and this is what happens. Ah combat, your infidelities amaze me.

Cees-Holland
April 18th, 2011, 15:54
Ignoring the friendly talk amongst good friends above..

On 13-4-2011 I transferred тВм50,00 (SHA, shared cost) to my K-bank account.
My bank (ING-bank) here in Holland charges тВм5,00 with this shared cost option, they deduct it from the amount that is transferred.
So тВм45,00 went to my Thai Account.

Today (18-4-2011) 1921,75Bht arrived.

It seems I got 42,6Bht for тВм1 (normal exchange rate ) and that they didn't charge me for incoming funds.

If my conclusion is right, this is a cheap way of getting money in Thailand.
Normally it cost me ~тВм6,00 (150Bht in Thailand + тВм2,00 bank Holland) to use my Dutch-ATM-card each time I take out money in Thailand

Beachlover
April 18th, 2011, 19:10
Humour aside... how is Ikarus' suggestion that ridiculous? If you need to maintain bank accounts and other financial interests overseas from your home country, HSBC or one of the other international bankers makes sense to me. Aren't many of you living or planning to live all or part of the year in Thailand?

As far as the prerequisites go, aren't most of you guys meant to be in your 40s and upwards? Having had that long to accumulate your life savings, $100k in cash or other financial services (including investment products, managed funds etc.) shouldn't be that ridiculous a barrier, to make this option not worth mentioning.

Personally, I'm never overseas for more than two months at a time and the credit card takes care of most big ticket items (accommodation, flights etc.) so it's easiest just to pack $4k-$5k cash in my bag (I split it between two bags so it's not too bad if one gets lost). Only need to use my ATM card in an emergency and happy to pay $10 or whatever the withdraw/FX fees are if the rare need arises.

As for Smiles and Diec, the two arseholes here...

I frankly do not quite understand what is your point? ... "I think Francois's point was that you, Ikarus, are a pompous, humourless ass, and ~ to add my own point ~ have always been as such. I agree and would add that Voldemar is as well.
I disagree with calling Ikarus a "pompous... ass" but those words suit you just fine, Smiles... you cranky, crusty old cunt.

It seems to me...
What a particularly horrible person you must be. I know your intent was to throw shit but really, you take the cake for the most unpleasant person on the board presently. :bootyshake:
Totally agree Krobbie... but Diec just isn't worth responding to. Almost 100% of his posts are bitter trolling attack posts without any rational decency.

francois
April 19th, 2011, 03:00
[quote="Beachlover"][
Humour aside... how is Ikarus' suggestion that ridiculous? If you need to maintain bank accounts and other financial interests overseas from your home country, HSBC or one of the other international bankers makes sense to me. quote

Humor aside BL, Ikarus' suggestion is ok providing one has $100,000 USD sitting around idle or gaining low interest. Many retirees have their assets in securities which are best left untouched especially just to save a few Baht in ATM fees. In my case the Rolls was costing me money so better to have sold and reinvested.

April 19th, 2011, 03:26
.. In my case the Rolls was costing me money so better to have sold and reinvested.

But as I told you, I would have paid top dollar to add it to my fleet.

:occasion9:

Up2U
April 19th, 2011, 03:40
Before this very helpful thread is overtaken by disputes, can anyone provide some info on the exchange rates or costs involved in transferring funds from US to a Thai account?
I am trying to figure out if opening a Thai account is worth the trouble. I am a frequent visitor, but for shorter time periods.

If I open up an account with K bank (as seems to be the best option based on info here) can I transfer money from my US based home account electronically?
Is it at a decent exchange rate / same as any other way?
Any fees that I should be aware of?

Many thanks to those in the know willing to provide some guidance.

I am American. I have bank accounts at TMB and Bangkok Bank. If you are not a long-term resident then I recommend using your ATM card only. Get a Schwab ATM because they reimburse all (both foreigh and domestic) ATM fees. Many American's here use or have as a back-up the New York branch of Bangkok Bank (ABA routing number) which is then linked to their Bangkok Bank accounts here in Thailand. With all the hyperbole you get here I would not ask any serous financial question. Best go to the Thaivisa Jobs,Banking forum. Your particular questions are discussed in great detail there.

April 19th, 2011, 07:11
[Many retirees have their assets in securities which are best left untouched especially just to save a few Baht in ATM fees. In my case the Rolls was costing me money so better to have sold and reinvested.

Francois - I don't think too many will be taking their financial advice from someone who carries $5K in cash around but "splits it between 2 bags in case one gets lost".

ikarus
April 22nd, 2011, 11:55
[
Humour aside... how is Ikarus' suggestion that ridiculous? If you need to maintain bank accounts and other financial interests overseas from your home country, HSBC or one of the other international bankers makes sense to me. quote

Humor aside BL, Ikarus' suggestion is ok providing one has $100,000 USD sitting around idle or gaining low interest. Many retirees have their assets in securities which are best left untouched especially just to save a few Baht in ATM fees. In my case the Rolls was costing me money so better to have sold and reinvested.
Francois, I have whopping 200 US on my US Premiere account and though HSBC in US pays more interest on US dollar accounts
than vast majority of other banks, I would say keeping 100000 in US dollars in cash makes little sense taking into account
the Dollar loosing its value as we speak. As I mentioned though HSBC has presence in 87 countries and you have a choice where to maintain the balance. Keeping equivalent of 100000 US , say, in Swiss francs definitely make sense... While for Americans it became really difficult to have bank account in Switzerland, you can do it, say in HK where they automatically open for you multi-currency account...
At the moment, as a global bank HSBC offers incredible deal in the form of Premiere program. I mentioned only few among huge amount of privileges the program offer...
Of course, it is not for poor rats like Smiles...