PDA

View Full Version : Expensive flights at this time of year

May 1st, 2006, 20:08
... I have noticed how much flights are costing at this time of year, generally speakaing, Thai Airways is only around 550 pounds (UK to BKK) but now quoting over 600 pounds, incl taxes, ok fairly average, but at this time of year, one would expect some cheapies which airlines often offer, I think last year Eva were offering the flight for about 350 and even Thai had some specials. If oil is still going to remain a high commodity, this is the ways things will be - ultimately it will "filter out" the lower end class of people of the market, i.e. the riff raff. And no, I don't fall into that category

May 1st, 2006, 21:57
... I have noticed how much flights are costing at this time of year, generally speakaing, Thai Airways is only around 550 pounds (UK to BKK) but now quoting over 600 pounds, incl taxes, ok fairly average, but at this time of year, one would expect some cheapies which airlines often offer,

A case of supply and demand?

On Friday I returned from the UK after taking b/f for a two week visit and we used EVA Premium Laurel. Wandering back through to cattle class on both flights there were only one or two empty seats on both flights. I made the bookings 6 weeks in advance and even then had a problem getting the seats and weeks we wanted.

B/f's sister who works for Thai Air said that passenger numbers are well up on last years figures so unless there is a need to discount fares airlines will not do so.

I have also booked a return trip to the UK in October for b/f's 19th birthday treat again on EVA PL and on the mid-week dates we wanted to fly the flights were fully booked so we had to settle for different dates. Business from the UK appears to be very good this year so there is little incentive to offer cheapos.

A work colleague in Bangkok got a good deal from China Airlines and also from Emirates but the stopovers are not attractive ( for me at least) and personally I prefer paying extra for non-stop direct flights.

May 1st, 2006, 22:05
Airlines always try to jack up the prices during the USA/European summer vacation season. Not exactly pure supply and demand, more about people having the time off and forced to pay up. Kind of like being forced to buy the holiday parties at hotels, either pay up or stay home!

May 1st, 2006, 23:55
Yes, mind you it doesen't really apply to me, I generally fly business now, have done Eva de luxe but I feel that has lost its appeal and is always jammed packed anyway, on the contrary on one of my trips de luxe was packed but the economy was half empty.

May 2nd, 2006, 04:00
... I have noticed how much flights are costing at this time of year, generally speakaing, Thai Airways is only around 550 pounds (UK to BKK) but now quoting over 600 pounds, incl taxes,...

You have not done enough research on airfares darling. May and June usually offer best deal for flight from London to BKK. Thai Airways's economy costs only 411.00 pounds return inc taxes ( W class - 50% mileage accural ). If this fare is not available on your selected date, change the date a day or two earlier or later.

www.airnet.co.uk (http://www.airnet.co.uk)
www.wefly.co.uk (http://www.wefly.co.uk)
www.expedia.co.uk (http://www.expedia.co.uk)

BTW, please don't use the picture of my body as your avatar.

wowpow
May 2nd, 2006, 07:04
www.westeasttravel.com/user/default.asp (http://www.westeasttravel.com/user/default.asp)
Have EVA at ┬г305 this month ex taxes and down to ┬г290 if four travel.
and THAI at ┬г310

May 2nd, 2006, 07:38
The fuel levy is raising all prices (except on US airlines where the ticket is bought in the US)

May 2nd, 2006, 09:43
Unless you travel FIRST class, please don't call the rest of us riff raff.

May 2nd, 2006, 13:08
I know someone who is flying from London to HK in a few hours for ┬г317 return including taxes.

May 2nd, 2006, 16:39
Unless you travel FIRST class, please don't call the rest of us riff raff.

hehehe lol - laughed at that for ages, however, riff raff are the people who travel cheaply and have decided not to go because prices have increased in economy considerably, thought that was quite clear - but Goodlad "if the cap fits"

May 3rd, 2006, 01:21
go online to travelbag.co.uk

They seem to cover more airlines than other agents and usally have the cheapest prices.

Then when you find what you want - call The Flight centre in Victoria and they will beat that price......... i never pay more than i have to for a 10 hour sleep lol

I been so many times to BKK i trained myself and can sleep the whole way now.