PDA

View Full Version : 13 yo living in muay Thai camp to earn keep

lonelywombat
April 6th, 2011, 11:00
My attention was drawn to the page seeking sponsors for slum kids and orphans, to the plight of this boy .
At the moment there are only another 3 children on the website seeking sponsors for their schooling and upkeep. They add more every month or two.

http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/ ... nsors.html (http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/childrenneedingsponsors.html)

more about them
http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/navig1.html
Akarawawut 'Bass' DOB: 11/11/97

Bass's mother was unable to care for the boys as their father had disappeared and her work did not bring enough money to feed and clothe them.

She placed 'Bass' and his older brother in a Mua Thai boxing camp where they were given accomodation in a dormitory and given food, in return for this they had to train at the camp and take part in Mua Thai Boxing matches in clubs and bars in Pattaya.

We sponsored both 'Bass' and his brother Phoomwit, Phoomwit is now at college whilst 'Bass' remains at the boxing camp, he attends a local school but still has to train and compete in matches in return for his keep.

The boys' mother is now working at one of Pattaya's shopping malls but because of finances she now lives at the camp with 'Bass'.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thai Dyed
April 6th, 2011, 12:00
...the plight of this boy, forced to fight in Pattaya bars and clubs to earn his keep.

The boys' mother is now working at one of Pattaya's shopping malls but because of finances she now lives at the camp with 'Bass'.

Could you explain just who is "forcing" this boy to do anything? And the mother is living with him as well?

If someone suspects foul play, or anything illegal, then I suggest they call the police. But under no circumstances would I ever think of giving money to someone because an NGO has concocted a fantasy of "abuse" surrounding a story. The NGO do-gooders must be pretty hard up if this is the best they can come up with.

These kids in the photos don't look as if they are being "forced" to do anything. In fact, they look pretty healthy to me. If anything, I would consider donating money to this Thai Boxing camp and not the NGO.

cdnmatt
April 6th, 2011, 15:56
I'll basically have to agree with Thai Dyed. You forgot the part to quote where the 13yo explains how he hates his life, and wish he didn't have to do this for a living.

The NGO do-gooders must be pretty hard up if this is the best they can come up with.

I was thinking the same. A healthy, well fed (from the pictures), athletic 13yo who has shelter, lives with his mom, and (I'm assuming) isn't using drugs or prostituting himself. Yeah, better swoop in and save him. Maybe the helpful people will even teach him the word of God!

mahjongguy
April 6th, 2011, 16:42
If you were familiar with the work done by Pattayastreetkids you would not dismiss them as NGO do-gooders. That's the furthest thing from the truth. Different as night from day.

In this particular case, it seems easy to say "oh he looks healthy enough" but 13yo kids shouldn't have to work for a living, much less get beaten up for it. One of the dirty secrets of Muay Thai is that kids who start too young usually end up with permanent injuries.

mahjongguy
April 6th, 2011, 16:47
Maybe the helpful people will even teach him the word of God!
Take a moment to check out the website.
"We are a secular charity and do not support or promote any religious organisation. We are always prepared to consider working with any organisation in bringing help to children in need on the strict understanding that any such help is given unconditionally and does not involve the preaching, promoting or acceptance of any religion."

April 6th, 2011, 19:56
May I ask the cost to sponsor a kid? In US dollars?
:love4:

Koh Samui Luv
April 6th, 2011, 19:57
...any such help is given unconditionally...
Sure! And and there's a Santa Claus too. And we believe in Tinker Bell also.

In this particular case, ...kids shouldn't have to have to... get beaten up. ...kids who start too young usually end up with permanent injuries.
So where is the documentation for this? Why don't the do-gooders get some pictures of beaten up kids with permanent injuries? You know why? They don't have any, that's why. The best they can do is to come up with some very fit looking kids and make up a complete fable about "abuse" to con people out of their hard earned money. This is the oldest trick in the NGO book.

These NGOs should be run out of the Kingdom, sent back to their own countries where I am sure there are plenty of problems to look after. But no, Thailand is a nice cozy posting, and why have to work for a living when you can cash in on easy money after making up a few phony stories.

bao-bao
April 6th, 2011, 20:43
All a sponsor pays for are the school fees, and those vary by the type of schooling and the age of the child. Very roughly that's between $100 and $130 per year - what some here would spend for a single night out partying. That covers fees, books, supplies, uniforms - most everything but lunch, which some still can't afford. All other support you want to add (i.e. food for the family or other items) is on a voluntary basis, often done by the sponsor themselves in person on a shopping trip.

PSKSP is not a complex, slick organization - but it's wise to personally investigate any charity before throwing money at it. If you look at their web site you can read the financial statements and see what administrative costs are - they're as transparent as possible. Most PSKSP costs are met by the trustees themselves. You can read more at the FAQ page: http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/FAQ.html The site isn't fancy, but they don't pay to have a professional do it, either.

PSKSP is NOT a secular organization and there is NO church recruiting done, and it's more "real" than some who slam it.

Beachlover
April 6th, 2011, 20:57
I don't wish to detract from any good intentions PSK's supporters have. Just add a different point of view to think about.

Having read some of their case studies in the past, my opinion of Pattaya Street Kids and similar charities is mixed.

On the one hand, I think what they're basically doing is offering handouts to families who can't get their shit together to look after themselves. Some case studies are just sob stories about poorer Thais who can't pay the bills. Maybe they got into debt, Mum works as a prostitute and Dad (unskilled) can't get a job for whatever reason. How does this make them make them different to millions of other Thais who need to earn their own living, most of whom manage to do so?

There are millions of poor individuals and families like this all over Asia. They made some stupid decisions, they didn't think ahead, they didn't manage what resources they had and/or they didn't act responsibly. I've got relatives of my own like this who I help out.

So what PSK seems to do is come along and say, hey, we'll cover your electricity bill, water bill, food bill, school fees, school books, school uniform, medication and pretty much anything else where you didn't have the foresight or drive to make it happen for yourself, your family and your kids who you have a responsibility to...

On the other hand, the sad truth is, kids often suffer because of the stupid, irresponsible decisions their parents made. Perhaps that's not fair. Perhaps there's no better way to deal with this or perhaps it shouldn't be dealt with at all.

I wonder if the reason Westerners take pity on these types is because in the West, these types have a welfare safety net where as this is non-existent for most Asians...

Take a moment to check out the website.
"We are a secular charity and do not support or promote any religious organisation. We are always prepared to consider working with any organisation in bringing help to children in need on the strict understanding that any such help is given unconditionally and does not involve the preaching, promoting or acceptance of any religion."
I think that statement they have on their website is likely a load of shite.

On Pattaya Street Kids' website: http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/FAQ.html

Q. On your website you mention the MERCY ChildrenтАЩs home and the Hauy Phong Home, what is the difference?
A. MERCY run a home in Pattaya for up to 25 children at risk, these are mainly local children who have been abandoned, their families have not been able to care and support them or they have been removed from an abusive situation.

On Mercy Center's website: http://mercypattaya.com/about/

PURPOSE:
1. Develop projects to help provide educational, moral, social and spiritual training for poor children and the destitute.
2. Undertake strategic projects among the poor to help bring about community transformation in Pattaya.
3. Find and train disciples in each slum area where MERCY is active, to carry on the work.
4. Fulfill GodтАЩs commands to show mercy as stated in Matthew 25:35-40 and James 1:27

(Mahjongguy, this is nothing against you personally. You're just the messenger who brought it up.)

bao-bao
April 6th, 2011, 21:32
So what PSK seems to do is come along and say, hey, we'll cover your electricity bill, water bill, food bill, school fees, school books, school uniform, medication and pretty much anything else where you didn't have the foresight or drive to make it happen for yourself, your family and your kids who you have a responsibility to...
You're entitled to your opinion on what you think they "seem" to do. All I can say is I've witnessed otherwise. If you would rather help others out in your own way, that's great - but please consider not casting aspersions on something you don't seem to accept as real.

Again, PSKSP is not a secular organization, there is NO church recruiting done, and it's more "real" than some who slam it.

Beachlover
April 6th, 2011, 21:50
You're entitled to your opinion on what you think they "seem" to do. All I can say is I've witnessed otherwise. If you would rather help others out in your own way, that's great - but please consider not casting aspersions on something you don't seem to accept as real.
Bao Bao, WHAT part of my post states I don't seem to "accept" it as "real"? Please don't get my reply mixed with others above.

I'm not questioning any of the facts they present in the case studies or what they do or don't do to help the recipients. I don't questioning that the administration is financially efficient and responsible either.

I'm just offering an opinion on the thinking and philosophy behind this, rather than looking at it purely from simplistic and sympathetic Western eyes as many supporters might. I'm sorry if you feel the good will behind this charity is too sacred to discuss its validity but I think it's worth an open discussion rather than unquestioning reverence.

Again, PSKSP is not a secular organization, there is NO church recruiting done...
This is not a shot at you but can you say the same for Mercy, which is where some of the funds donated to PSK apparently go?

bao-bao
April 6th, 2011, 22:04
Good. Thank you for clearing that up, as I felt your earlier post could have been misinterpreted. I can't speak for any of the others, but PSKSP is a small but honorable group that does good work.

newalaan
April 6th, 2011, 22:20
PSKSP is NOT a secular organization
Again, PSKSP is not a secular organizationJust a small point incase anybody quickly browsing doesn't pick up on it, and just for clarity (rather than nit-picking). If there is no religious connection that would mean PSKSP.......IS a secular organisation.(rather than not).

bao-bao
April 6th, 2011, 22:23
Again, PSKSP is not a secular organization, there is NO church recruiting done...
This is not a shot at you but can you say the same for Mercy, which is where some of the funds donated to PSK apparently go?
Sorry, I missed your last question.

No, if one does any research at all they'd see that the Mercy shelter is a secular organization, but NONE of the PSKSP funds go "to" it. They're professionals, and while they're a religious organization they've never done any "recruitment" while dealing with me. They do, however, provide support as the feet on the ground for PSKSP. They do this with the permission of Mercy and some of it on their own personal time. They keep paperwork for the sponsored students, establish and maintain school relationships that allow the students to be taken out for lunches and shopping trips, etc - often providing the transportation on their own time to do so.

Mercy does their OWN charity work, also, but "church and state" are very clearly kept separate. The only time PSKSP funds are touched by Mercy folks is when they've been authorized to use them for a sponsored student, and then they provide documentation back to PSKSP. NO PSKSP funds donated by sponsors are donated to or used by Mercy unless the sponsor specifies that.

Thanks for asking, though. It's always nice to have an opportunity to point that out, as almost all other organized religious groups other than Mercy make my skin crawl. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them.

Beachlover
April 6th, 2011, 22:36
the Mercy shelter... They're professionals, and while they're a religious organization they've never done any "recruitment" while dealing me.
Thanks for clarifying the point with this information. It gives everyone less reason to question the relationship.

I felt your earlier post could have been misinterpreted.
I don't know how anyone could misinterpret me to say something not mentioned at all in my post, unless they got it mixed with other posts above. At no point did I say it was something I "don't seem to accept as real".

Koh Samui Luv
April 6th, 2011, 23:05
This is an English NGO. (Registered UK Charity No. 1104335, according to their website.)

A Half-Million young people rioted in London just over a week ago because they can't afford an education in England. One wonders why these do-gooders aren't concerned about their own people but instead wandering to far off places to offer their "help". Charity begins at home, I have been told.

bao-bao
April 6th, 2011, 23:27
One wonders why these do-gooders aren't concerned about their own people but instead wandering to far off places to offer their "help". Charity begins at home, I have been told.
Certainly a valid view. If you'd feel better making donations in the UK instead, that's fine. We as individuals can't save the world, but we can save little pieces of it. I don't have any problem at all reading about the UK charity you support, if you'd care to share here.

April 6th, 2011, 23:36
A Half-Million young people rioted in London just over a week ago because they can't afford an education in England.

Actually the numbers out in London were peacfully demonstrating about coming Public Sector cuts. Only a handful of mindless thugs were involved in the unrest and that had nothing to do with students.

Back to the main post, as long as the money donated is spent correctly and the right people benefit then it has to be a good cause.

cdnmatt
April 7th, 2011, 03:05
Honestly, if you want donations for this kid, I would get an interview with him, and put together a small video where he explains how he hates his life, doesn't want to box, and wishes he could have enough money for rent of a small room and some food for himself and his mom.

As it stands, nobody knows, and guaranteed alot of people are much worst off than this guy. For all we know, he absolutely loves it, because he can strut around knowing he can kick the shit out of any other 13yo in Pattaya, the girls are flocking over him, he gets to live with his friends, has food all the time, etc. If he enjoys boxing, that sounds like a pretty good life to me.

PS. One way or another, we all have to earn our keep, so don't make it sound like it's a horrible thing. I don't like sitting behind the computer all day to pay the bills, so can I start a donation campaign?

bao-bao
April 7th, 2011, 05:08
I received an email a few minutes ago from Don Ford, the founder of the Pattaya Street Kids Support Project. He's not a member here, but I'd sent him a note this morning so he'd have an opportunity to reply here if he wanted to. It's a little long, but he answered many of the questions and comments you've posted this morning.

If you wish to contact him with further questions there's an email on their web site: http://www.slumkids.org/

It was interesting to note that someone has stepped forward to sponsor the boxer. If it was a member from here, all the better.

================================================== ============================

Bao Bao kindly brought to my attention the discussion about the Pattaya Street KidsтАЩ Support Project (PSKSP) and I feel it is appropriate to respond to try and clarify some of the misunderstanding that there obviously are and I have asked him if he would post this on behalf of PSKSP.

I have bolded the original quotes from the forum rather than quote the entire thread.

lonelywombat wrote:...the plight of this boy, forced to fight in Pattaya bars and clubs to earn his keep.

The boysтАЩ mother had a choice a few years ago when she found herself unable to support the boys to either leave them with an uncle in a tiny room that doubles-up as a motorbike repair shop, where he would also have found it impossible to care for them or let them live at a boxing camp, where in return for food and board they were expected to take part in boxing matches in Pattaya. The older of the two boys did sufferer some injuries (not serious) and had no choice but to leave the camp and go and live with the uncle. Both boys wanted to go to school so PSKSP took them onto our Scholarship scheme. The older brother is now studying at a business college. Although the mother is now employed part-time she is still unable to afford a place of her own to care for the younger boy so she lives at the camp and in return for board she helps with preparing food and general duties when she is not working in the mall.

Could you explain just who is "forcing" this boy to do anything? And the mother is living with him as well?

Nobody is тАШforcingтАЩ the boy to do anything and nowhere on our website does it say that. In fact тАШBassтАЩ enjoys boxing but still wants to have an education and that is why he is on our scholarship scheme. He gets his food and board for boxing but still need sponsorship if he is able to attend school. In fact this forum may be responsible for him gaining a sponsor as coincidentally an enquiry about sponsoring him was received this morning and we are just waiting for confirmation, although I do not know if there is any connection.

But under no circumstances would I ever think of giving money to someone because an NGO has concocted a fantasy of "abuse" surrounding a story. The NGO do-gooders must be pretty hard up if this is the best they can come up with.

There is no concoction or a fantasy of abuse in any of our stories of the kids. Everything is verified before we take the kids onto the Scholarship scheme and having had the advantage of being able to see all the documentation relating to a childтАЩs background we are happy that we have made the right decisions in the interest of the children.

These kids in the photos don't look as if they are being "forced" to do anything. In fact, they look pretty healthy to me. If anything, I would consider donating money to this Thai Boxing camp and not the NGO.

I agree, the kids are healthy, they train most days so it is to be expected that they are fit and healthy. The boxing camp would certainly not play тАШfoster homeтАЩ for kids that were not fit enough to box.

I'll basically have to agree with Thai Dyed. You forgot the part to quote where the 13yo explains how he hates his life, and wish he didn't have to do this for a living.

That as you well know is a totally misleading statement; nowhere on our website does it say that the 13 year old boy hates his life or doing what he does. As I have said above the boy enjoys boxing and having met the boy a few times I can vouch for that.

I was thinking the same. A healthy, well fed (from the pictures), athletic 13yo who has shelter, lives with his mom, and (I'm assuming) isn't using drugs or prostituting himself. Yeah, better swoop in and save him. Maybe the helpful people will even teach him the word of God!

He does not need saving (whatever тАШsavingтАЩ is), but he does deserve to have the right to go to school and receive an education, something he cannot do without assistance.

So where is the documentation for this? Why don't the do-gooders get some pictures of beaten up kids with permanent injuries? You know why? They don't have any, that's why. The best they can do is to come up with some very fit looking kids and make up a complete fable about "abuse" to con people out of their hard earned money. This is the oldest trick in the NGO book.

The suggestion of serious injuries was made by a contributor to the forum and did not originate from PSKSP. From my visits to the boxing camp the kids look well treated and fit. However their certainly are situations where children are abused and many sponsors have seen for themselves just how horrific the circumstances are that some of these children live in. MERCY carry out home visits on our behalf to all the kids on our Scholarship scheme and we send these reports to sponsors along with photos of the home and child and many sponsors who make a visit to their sponsored child feel that they wish to help further, as stories on our website are testament to.

These NGOs should be run out of the Kingdom, sent back to their own countries where I am sure there are plenty of problems to look after. But no, Thailand is a nice cozy posting, and why have to work for a living when you can cash in on easy money after making up a few phony stories.

It is probably convenient to tar all NGOтАЩs with the same brush, it saves having to actually read about what each individual organisation does. Every one of our case studies is well documented. As for тАШa cozy postingтАЩ. None of PSKSP trustees live or work in Thailand neither do we employ any staff. As for тАШeasy moneyтАЩ I donтАЩt think my Bank Manager would agree with you. All of the PSKSP trustees pay their own expenses as well as meeting the running cost of the charity between themselves, something that can be easily verified by the UK Charity Commission. Additionally Liz who administers the Scholarship scheme for us works on a voluntary basis for MERCY. The bottom line is that 100% of donations made to PSKSP is used for the benefit of the kids.

I think that statement they have on their website is likely a load of shite.

The statement that we neither promote nor support religious organisations is fact. I am sure that Pastor Dianne Doell would be the first to confirm that religion and I do not mix. I accept that everyone is welcome to their own beliefs and in return I to mine. As for my fellow trustees I do not have a clue as to their beliefs, it is never discussed and I have no interest in knowing.

We do not support MERCY, what we do do is to sponsor some of the children at the MERCY home for their education, we also buy items that are needed for the children in the home, we have just purchased a water cooler, a freezer and storage boxes for the dormitories at the new MERCY Home. We have over the years had requests from MERCY to assist with assistance to maintain their current rented property or for office equipment and we have always declined those requests.

The only money that is sent to MERCY for their own use is money from people who have requested they use our PayPal facility to transfer money to MERCY for the childrenтАЩs home, both the Receipts and Payments of these are detailed in our published accounts.

No, what we do where it is obvious that the children are suffering because the family are unable to pay their bills and are getting in deeper debt by going to money-lenders is to try and rectify the situation after consultation with sponsors. Many sponsors have asked to be kept informed of any needs the family may have. We have found that if we can get the family back on either a debt free or manageable debt footing then they can generally cope on their own from that point on. Many of the slum dwellers work on a casual basis in either the building or recycling business and when the weather is bad or there is a turn down in trade they are generally the first out of a job. Also of course illness and death disrupts a familyтАЩs ability to cope.

On the other hand, the sad truth is, kids often suffer because of the stupid, irresponsible decisions their parents made. Perhaps that's not fair. Perhaps there's no better way to deal with this or perhaps it shouldn't be dealt with at all.

Exactly! So everybody makes a choice, to either ignore the problem or let the kids suffer or try do something about it. The choice of the PSKSP trustees and sponsors and donors has been to try and make a difference to a childтАЩs life. Over the past year we have had a few families return to their villages in the north simply because (even with support for the kidтАЩs education) they have given up any hope of being able to survive in Pattaya where the lack of employment has hit so many families very hard.

cdnmatt
April 7th, 2011, 06:57
Ahhh, there we go. Thanks for posting the message. That's a much better and more realistic interpretation of his situation, then implying he's a poor 13yo who's forced to box and get beaten up while living at a camp with his mom that he hates.

My only question now is, what is the "scholarship scheme", and why would a 13yo need to be enrolled into it? Unless I'm blind, there's no mention of the "scholarship scheme" details on the website, except one page showing the volunteers. If he's 13, he gets free education. Maybe 1500 baht donation to buy him a couple uniforms, and some supplies, but that's all that's needed. Maybe a few hundred baht here and there throughout the year for a school field trip.

Or what? The boxing camp doesn't allow him to goto school, and forces to him train during the day instead, or???

lonelywombat
April 7th, 2011, 12:26
In the last 4 weeks it was revealed that almost 40 % of Australians receive some form of welfare payment. In addition even well off kids that go to government schools get free education and those lucky enough to go to university free tuition. Their parent receive an allowance until they are 16 , free hospitals it goes on and on. Thailand is not like that. You dont see unemployment or disability pensions in the same way as OZ.

In another thread a poster was moaning how difficult it was for a graduate in OZ to exist on a 4 million baht annual salary. I know whose taxes went towards the cost of his education.
I know my 50 years of paying high taxation did not qualify me for a government pension.

It is a wonder the comment wasnt made Bass's mothers could have taken in lodgers to help make ends meet. On the other hand, more than likely home was in a slum maybe corrigated iron sheet to keep the rain off . Ive seen the slums in Pattaya and I know how bad they are.

The subject got the attention which I intended it to. I am very aware that many on this forum contribute to many varied charities in Pattaya. The various orphanages, the school for the disabled, street kids, clean drinking water for schools, specialist medical optical and dental services etc.

The amount asked for each child 3500 baht is just over $100 I recall a thread where the virtues of red ,black and blue Johnny Walker was discussed. Nuff said.

This thread confirmed a few things that I have been thinking, I am sad to say.

Beachlover
April 7th, 2011, 18:32
Thanks for posting the reply Bao Bao... interesting to read the rationale behind it.

Thanks for posting the message. That's a much better and more realistic interpretation of his situation, then...
I agree but I think the bit "implying he's a poor 13yo who's forced to box and get beaten up while living at a camp with his mom that he hates" was Lonely Wombat's subjective view, which he wrote in the OP. The blurb written by PSK on their site is different, more factual and without subjective opinion.

One way or another, we all have to earn our keep, so don't make it sound like it's a horrible thing...
That's the point I was trying to make but more in relation to families than disadvantaged kids. I have a very bright 9-year old cousin who I'm helping with schooling expenses because her parents are too messed up to provide enough for her educational needs. I have another cousin where I've offered to help fund his university studies because the cost of studying at a good university overseas is extremely expensive for most families in Asia.

I don't mind assisting with kids alone but sometimes I wonder why the hell you should help a family or adult individual when it's their responsibility to earn a living for themselves AND provide for their dependents! I guess if it makes you feel good, then fine, do it.

In the last 4 weeks it was revealed that almost 40 % of Australians receive some form of welfare payment. In addition even well off kids that go to government schools get free education and those lucky enough to go to university free tuition. Their parent receive an allowance until they are 16 , free hospitals it goes on and on. Thailand is not like that. You dont see unemployment or disability pensions in the same way as OZ.
That's exactly my point... I think Westerners see the lack of safety net welfare in Thailand and are shocked by it. But this is the reality all over Asia. You look after yourself and earn a living or starve. That's reality...

thonglor55
April 8th, 2011, 09:18
HI don't like sitting behind the computer all day to pay the billsBeing a grown-up too difficult for you, Matt?

lonelywombat
April 8th, 2011, 09:34

One way or another, we all have to earn our keep, so don't make it sound like it's a horrible thing. I don't like sitting behind the computer all day to pay the bills, so can I start a donation campaign?

My only question now is, what is the "scholarship scheme", and why would a 13yo need to be enrolled into it? Unless I'm blind, there's no mention of the "scholarship scheme" details on the website, except one page showing the volunteers. If he's 13, he gets free education. Maybe 1500 baht donation to buy him a couple uniforms, and some supplies, but that's all that's needed. Maybe a few hundred baht here and there throughout the year for a school field trip.

You may be able to contribute with your computer skills. There is a website that explains everything. Have a look.

www.slumkids.org (http://www.slumkids.org)

kittyboy
April 8th, 2011, 09:52
Thanks for posting the information.

I hope to retire in a few years and dream of moving to thailand and living out my years with lots of sunshine and debauchery. However, a real fear of mine is that I will end up with cirrosis of the liver in 6 months.

If I do move to thailand I want to volunteer my time and money to give me a sense of purpose (other than drinking and whoring which are noble pursuits). So I appreciate information being posted about charities that operate in thailand...they give me ideas about how I could use my time during my non drinking and whoring periods.

I am not sure what some of the darlings who have retired to thailand do with their time and energy but I would need something to keep me occupied other than the beach...but that is just me...

thonglor55
April 8th, 2011, 14:01
I hope to retire in a few years and dream of moving to thailand and living out my years with lots of sunshine and debauchery. However, a real fear of mine is that I will end up with cirrosis of the liver in 6 months.There's always bungee-jumping from Pattaya skyscrapers - that's very popular.

DCbob
April 9th, 2011, 05:10
:love4:
The Thai school year is split into two terms. The cost of sponsoring a student for for the entire school year is from appx. ┬г60 -┬г120 depending on the age of the child. This sum not only pays for the items listed above but also gives additional support to the child for items such as food and water within the family unit.

I support one. I also give for New Year party. Took him out to buy New Year gifts, and lunch. Gifts and lunch for "Non", a teacher, a representative of Mercy, and an interpreter as well as myself came out to about 9,000 baht. Well worth it.

Oh by the way he wanted a mattress and pillow with sheets comforter etc. Also got him some art supplies and other small items.

lonelywombat
April 9th, 2011, 06:26
Most of the posts about street kids program and the orphanage is on the pattaya forum of Tingtong. There is a lot of fund raising and a lot of work other than raising cash.
This is just one thread.

http://www.gaytingtong.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6658

I dont apologize for the attention getting subject line. It served its purpose and I am grateful for the PM's I received. It seems that with a few exeptions there are a lot of good people who are members of this board.

There appears to be several orphanages in Pattaya. Maybe someone can give a rundown and what support they receive.

To kittyboy, you will not be left wanting for requests for help if you are willing. Do you have any skills that might be of use?

kittyboy
April 9th, 2011, 10:00
I hope to retire in a few years and dream of moving to thailand and living out my years with lots of sunshine and debauchery. However, a real fear of mine is that I will end up with cirrosis of the liver in 6 months.There's always bungee-jumping from Pattaya skyscrapers - that's very popular.

Ah...your comments remind me of a sad incident that occurred to me which has impacted the rest of my life. While a graduate student in Chicago I stood up to make a trivial academic point and pitched off the back porch of the very down market mangy manor estates which was my very down market domocile at the time. I ended up at hospital with a broken arm, a minor head bump and an alcohol blood level that would have sent me to jail had I been driving and not falling off the back porch. Though the total distance that I fell felt like many meters a tape measure showed the actual distance was a mere 24 inches. The incident gave me a minor but pronounced fear of heights and so bungee jumping is off the list of things to do in pattaya. A sad story..which should serve as a lesson..never live in an apartment that has a back porch that is over 12 inches above ground.

As I have mentioned in past posts..I was a volunteer for many years as an HIV counselor..currently I am a university professor which qualifies me for little so I am not sure what I would do as a volunteer if and when I move to pattaya. However, I do thank the original poster for pointing out the potential opportunities for volunteer work that do exist in pattaya.