PDA

View Full Version : Gays not welcome at The Barbican & Bulls Head in Bangkok

April 3rd, 2011, 14:35
The management of the Barbican and Bull's Head bars in Bangkok, at the bequest of the Western owners recently told a group of long standing expat gay customers that they were no longer welcome because they were gay. The Thai staff of both places found the decision of the owners wrong but had to comply.

Sad thing to be happening in 2011 in Bangkok, if it had been tried in their home countries they would be facing serious discriminatory laws.

April 3rd, 2011, 14:43
The management of the Barbican and Bull's Head bars in Bangkok, at the bequest of the Western owners recently told a group of long standing expat gay customers that they were no longer welcome because they were gay. The Thai staff of both places found the decision of the owners wrong but had to comply.

Sad thing to be happening in 2011 in Bangkok, if it had been tried in their home countries they would be facing serious discriminatory laws.

combat,

Where are thes bars located?? :dontknow:

April 3rd, 2011, 15:19
combat,
Where are thes bars located?? :dontknow:

Barbican is located on Soi Thaniya just off Silom between Sois 4 and 2, and The Bulls Head is Sukhumvit 33.

thonglor55
April 3rd, 2011, 15:23
I was at Barbican for lunch this week; the management know full well that I am gay as are the friends I was with and nothing was said. I was welcomed and farewelled as usual. Which "group of ex-pat gays" does this refer to? The fact is that the Thais, especially in those sorts of places, have no wish to create a scene so if people walk in and sit down, waiting to be served they will, indeed, be served. If such is the policy then people have simply to call the management's bluff by ignoring it.

Patexpat
April 3rd, 2011, 15:24
Looks like they are part of the same company, see:

http://www.greatbritishpub.com

Note: email addresses and even a mobile number for the manager is conveniently posted on the website ...

April 3rd, 2011, 15:31
I was at Barbican for lunch this week; the management know full well that I am gay as are the friends I was with and nothing was said. I was welcomed and farewelled as usual. Which "group of ex-pat gays" does this refer to? The fact is that the Thais, especially in those sorts of places, have no wish to create a scene so if people walk in and sit down, waiting to be served they will, indeed, be served. If such is the policy then people have simply to call the management's bluff by ignoring it.

It happened last Wednesday 30th in the Barbican. Perhaps on your many visits thonglor you might ask and report what is said instead of asking for the names of those involved who were asked to leave.

thonglor55
April 3rd, 2011, 15:47
It happened last Wednesday 30th in the Barbican. Perhaps on your many visits thonglor you might ask and report what is said instead of asking for the names of those involved who were asked to leave.I was there on Thursday and as I have already reported nothing whatsoever was said. I take it you were in Bangkok yourself and was one of the party, combat, or are you repeating second-hand tittle-tattle from some self-important fairy? Perhaps you were told on Friday morning?

In such circumstances I usually ask the person to explain (1) why they think I am gay and (2) what exactly gay means. It's a bit like being accused by a policeman of having an erection in a public lavatory. One's lawyer can usually get them to make all sorts of embarassing statements about their expertise in observing men's erections, whether the member concerned was circumcised or otherwise, and so on. Most people simply don't want to have those sorts of conversations if challenged. Never give in. Always make it difficult for the enemy.

April 3rd, 2011, 15:59
I was there on Thursday and as I have already reported nothing whatsoever was said. I take it you were in Bangkok yourself and was one of the party, combat, or are you repeating second-hand tittle-tattle from some self-important fairy? Perhaps you were told on Friday morning?

Then if what you are saying is true, all well and good. Perhaps the matter has now been resolved with the owners, as upseting some "self-important fairy/s" as you say just wouldn't be on would it?

April 3rd, 2011, 16:08
hmmm, I have seen similar things happen before in, Australia, it usually involves finding a reason to piss-off some pain-in the-ass-dirty-old-bar-flies out of the place, not assuming this is the case here of course

thonglor55
April 3rd, 2011, 17:38
I was there on Thursday and as I have already reported nothing whatsoever was said. I take it you were in Bangkok yourself and was one of the party, combat, or are you repeating second-hand tittle-tattle from some self-important fairy? Perhaps you were told on Friday morning?Then if what you are saying is true, all well and good.You're calling me a liar are you combat?

Diec
April 3rd, 2011, 19:53
I don't see what the problem is. If this place doesn't want homosexuals in their establishment so be it. How many homosexuals on this board complain about gay bars allowing straight people in?

April 3rd, 2011, 20:23
I don't see what the problem is. If this place doesn't want homosexuals in their establishment so be it. How many homosexuals on this board complain about gay bars allowing straight people in?

You have a point there Diec.

April 3rd, 2011, 21:39

You have a point there Diec.

Hi,

I am not one of those who has a problem with straights in gay bars,only ask they are understanding of the type of bar it is. :love4:

I have been with Tam in some of the best bars in the World and some of the roughest. :headbang:

We have never had a problem in any bars and I would certainly have plenty to say if we were asked to leave just because we were an item/together. :alc:

I find a great deal of it is how you present yourselves and how you behave towards others. :dontknow:

Some find with their new found freedoms and tolerances in peoples attitudes towards gay people,that they have to be over the top and in your face,which I find unnecessary. I wouldn't fancy that type of behaviour from straights either.

April 3rd, 2011, 21:50
Sad thing to be happening in 2011 in Bangkok

But I thought "it was getting better". At least that's what we are kept being told on this board.

April 3rd, 2011, 21:52
Some find with their new found freedoms and tolerances in peoples attitudes towards gay people,that they have to be over the top and in your face,which I find unnecessary. I wouldn't fancy that type of behaviour from straights either.

You make another good point there Kevin. That's one of the many reasons why I don't like those Gay Pride events, which to me just gives the 'queens' an excuse to flaunt (in your face) whatever it is that they think they have.

April 3rd, 2011, 22:14
are you saying that maybe the dragoons from Boyztown especially and other places, flaunt themselves??!!
:sign5:

April 3rd, 2011, 22:18
are you saying that maybe the dragoons from Boyztown especially and other places, flaunt themselves??!!
:sign5:

If you are refering to who I think you are from Boyztown Unkie then I will refrain from answering as my views about that particular 'creature' are well known.

Brad the Impala
April 3rd, 2011, 23:37
I was at Barbican for lunch this week; the management know full well that I am gay

Do you mince and only wear lavender, or did you just bend over the bar and get rogered?

April 3rd, 2011, 23:54
Do you mince and only wear lavender, or did you just bend over the bar and get rogered?

No I believe that was combat's party as they were the ones shown the door.
If you are looking for a like minded group to join I suggest you PM combat directly.

thonglor55
April 4th, 2011, 03:30
No I believe that was combat's party as they were the ones shown the door.It was the sight of combat and Beachlover in an Oscar and Bosie moment, holding hands, that prompted this new (and one-time) edict.

April 4th, 2011, 05:43
No I believe that was combat's party as they were the ones shown the door.It was the sight of combat and Beachlover in an Oscar and Bosie moment, holding hands, that prompted this new (and one-time) edict.

Hark at Thonglor55 in full Marquess of Queensberry mode.

Everytime I smell vegetables I shall think of him

:occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9:

lonelywombat
April 4th, 2011, 10:58

and every time we smell ham, we will think of you.

April 4th, 2011, 14:22

So, every time we smell SHIT, who are we to think of?

:occasion9:

April 4th, 2011, 16:00
We were concerned about this issue in relation to straight establishments treating gays badly, and asked the Barbican/Bulls Head a question. This was their reply (and we have no idea what happened on either side):

"The Barbican has been operating for over 16 years and we have always welcomed gays and people of many persuasions and from many walks of life.

We have many gay customers in the Barbican, some have been coming since we opened 16 years ago. We have employed gay staff over the years, even having
a fantastic transvestite on our staff for a good year. We have not changed our policy in this matter.

There has been an issue with one small group of people.

You can choose to believe the gossip and spread it but there is no truth in it.

Yours sincerely,

Joy Menzies
Management's Team

The Great British Pub Co,Ltd
9/4-5 Thaniya Road, Suriwonge
Bangrak Bangkok 10500
Thailand "

thonglor55
April 4th, 2011, 16:14
There has been an issue with one small group of people. You can choose to believe the gossip and spread it but there is no truth in it.As I said, it was Beachlover and combat holding hands during a Bosie and Oscar moment that caused offence. Or, if you don't like that explanation, you can try my earlier one (now censored by the Moderator whose admirers claim allows unfettered expression but nevertheless quoted by combat who was clearly miffed that I hadn't immediately twigged that it was him and Beachlover) of some self-important fairy. Why such a remark should be censored beats me but that's Aunty Jinx for you.

April 4th, 2011, 17:06
Thonglor as normal talks through his lower region.

This is what happened on the evening of 30th March. the matter is still on going and has caused considerable embarrishment to the management, who are now trying to quell the bad publicity created:

On Wednesday 30 March at the end of the "Happy Hour" three regulars (not myself) paid their bill at the Barbican.
After they paid their bill the barman informed them that the management had asked him to thank them and ask them not to come again.
One, asked, because of the rather out of hand request that the bar manager ask the manager to make the point in person. The manager duly did that. The three customers left.

On Friday it was confirmed that there were two main reasons:

(1) Several customers had complained about older foreign men bringing young Thai men into the establishment.

(2) The management were annoyed with one of the customers because he distracted the barman with his small talk while they were doing their work.

Thonglor and his other hyaena can make as many stupid comments that they wish to do so. The matter has not yet been put to rest as those that were involved are still not satisfied with the statement put out by the pub group.

witchhunt
April 4th, 2011, 17:46
[quote="scottish-guy":2r4ozuuv]

[/quote:2r4ozuuv]

Once again you dear scottie. ham because of your corny jokes and shit for the rest of your content

thonglor55
April 4th, 2011, 17:48
Thank you combat for confirming what I said from the outset, it was an isolated incident involving some silly old queen who got his knickers in a knot and decided to wreak revenge on the Barbican for his own bad behavior.

rubymunro
April 4th, 2011, 18:09
Has any body actually spoken to the owners?

April 4th, 2011, 18:45
We contacted them and received the reply we posted above.

gaymandenmark
April 4th, 2011, 18:52
"Several customers had complained about older foreign men bringing young Thai men into the establishment."

Maybe there is more into this than the age gap. Maybe this old farang men behaved like I have seen many times in Sunee, when they have been sitting with young men. Or they have showed public affection as you can do in Soi 2 gay venues.

Sure I dont know, but if that is the reason and I was the manager in a place like Barbican, I would also have said they were not at all welcome. I would also say the same to straight people if they behaved like they were in a host or gogo-bar.

But I find it difficult to beleave that people are not wellcome, just because they are gay.

BTW on this kind of gay boards we normally call young men boys, hmm strange isn't it.?

Diec
April 4th, 2011, 20:26
Combatty, your stupid little {now deleted} video has no reason to be here. What you find 'cute' others may take offense, so I suggest you keep your YouTube video library to yourself. Many on this board may call you an asshole, but I won't go that far.

April 4th, 2011, 22:10
Another thing that has recently come to light is that the main two involved are known to be 'happy hour' bar flies, one of whom has a bit of a reputation in other establishments.

gaymandenmark
April 4th, 2011, 23:27
Another thing that has recently come to light is that the main two involved are known to be 'happy hour' bar flies, one of whom has a bit of a reputation in other establishments.

Oh my God, what is the next coming to light?
What kind of reputation and in what establishments? Please enlighten me.
I cant wait Mr. Insider. :tard:

April 4th, 2011, 23:34

Another New Member with a 'sharp tongue'

Surfcrest
April 4th, 2011, 23:46

This is what happened on the evening of 30th March. the matter is still on going and has caused considerable embarrishment to the management, who are now trying to quell the bad publicity created:

Combat, your perspective from the start of this threadтАжthe thread that you started sure has changed course. WhatтАЩs the source of this bad publicity that you are reporting?

Did you misspell a word?

gaymandenmark
April 4th, 2011, 23:50

Another New Member with a 'sharp tongue'

Oh I wil admit I have been a member long time ago. Think it is 1 or 2 years ago.
Suddenly my pasword did not work, and I could not have it resend because I had closed one e-mail adress.
At that time I did not care to sign-up again.

But funny and nice to be back. :hello1:

April 4th, 2011, 23:50
Oh to be Peter perfect like you Surfcrest, it's a pity about your face though.

krobbie
April 5th, 2011, 02:13

Combat ... you bitch!

Surfcrest
April 5th, 2011, 02:31
it's a pity about your face though.

Whatever do you mean by that combat? You've never see my face, nor have you seen Beachlover's.

You appear to be the original source of that bad publicity combat or am I missing something here?

April 5th, 2011, 04:13

Combat ... you bitch!

LOL :love4:

April 5th, 2011, 05:40
You appear to be the original source of that bad publicity combat

Indeed - and now backtracking as fast as she can. And sling a little shit around too just to obfuscate matters in hopes everyone gets sidetracked.

gaymandenmark
April 5th, 2011, 06:00

Combat ... you bitch!

krobbie, dont call combat a bitch, she loves it.

Beachlover
April 5th, 2011, 20:28
I was at Barbican for lunch this week; the management know full well that I am gay
I think he bent over and no one wanted to roger him. :rolling:

Thonglor as normal talks through his lower region.
Thonglor55/Homintern has multiple lower regions. Are you talking about his big fat arse or the belly that stops him seeing his own dick without the help of a mirror? :rolling:

Gaybutton and his 30+ page thread about "poo" and stinky smells. :rolling:

On Friday it was confirmed that there were two main reasons:

(1) Several customers had complained about older foreign men bringing young Thai men into the establishment.

(2) The management were annoyed with one of the customers because he distracted the barman with his small talk while they were doing their work.
Even if they were behaving a little disrespectfully with their younger companions, there's no reason the staff couldn't have issued a warning and politely asked them to tone it down. Did they do this?

April 5th, 2011, 20:39
Gaybutton and his 30+ page thread about "poo" and stinky smells.

You're the only one who seems to be obsessed with Gaybutton and the coprophilia.
If you'd like to take an Oprah moment and bare your soul by all means go ahead.

April 5th, 2011, 20:48

Once again you dear scottie. ham because of your corny jokes and shit for the rest of your content

Any yet it seems you read the ham and the shit every time!!

Bearing in mind there is an "ignore" feature, what possible explanation can you come up with?

Masochism?

:dontknow: :dontknow:

thonglor55
April 6th, 2011, 03:21
Thonglor as normal talks through his lower region.Thonglor55/Homintern has multiple lower regions. Are you talking about his big fat arse or the belly that stops him seeing his own dick without the help of a mirror?Forum members will be most interested to read this confirmation that you have indeed met homintern and can comment on intimate physical details such as whether he has a fat belly and whether he can see his own penis or not. As I've been reminding the Forum for some time, you and homintern were once, briefly, an "item"; you posted once about the initial encounter and now you are releasing further details that can only be based on this close personal knowledge.

April 6th, 2011, 04:04
I often found Homintern quite amusing.

:dontknow:

Brad the Impala
April 6th, 2011, 05:01
As I've been reminding the Forum for some time, you and homintern were once, briefly, an "item"; you posted once about the initial encounter and now you are releasing further details that can only be based on this close personal knowledge.

Please provide the link to the post to which you refer.

April 6th, 2011, 06:41
We were concerned about this issue in relation to straight establishments treating gays badly, and asked the Barbican/Bulls Head a question. This was their reply (and we have no idea what happened on either side):

"The Barbican has been operating for over 16 years and we have always welcomed gays and people of many persuasions and from many walks of life.

We have many gay customers in the Barbican, some have been coming since we opened 16 years ago. We have employed gay staff over the years, even having
a fantastic transvestite on our staff for a good year. We have not changed our policy in this matter.

There has been an issue with one small group of people.

You can choose to believe the gossip and spread it but there is no truth in it.

Yours sincerely,

Joy Menzies
Management's Team

The Great British Pub Co,Ltd
9/4-5 Thaniya Road, Suriwonge
Bangrak Bangkok 10500
Thailand "

Hi,

It seems that the pub group management had a problem or issue with the behaviour of a certain group of 'customers' who happened to be 'gay' from what they are saying. At least they have bothered to offer an explanation. I don't know or want to know the ins and outs but it appears there is more to it than an 'Anti gay policy'

lonelywombat
April 6th, 2011, 07:40
[quote=lonelywombat]

Once again you dear scottie. ham because of your corny jokes and shit for the rest of your content[/quote:2x58zkeb]

Any yet it seems you read the ham and the shit every time!!

Bearing in mind there is an "ignore" feature, what possible explanation can you come up with?

Masochism?

unfortunately even if you use the ignore button as many people are now doing, when it is quoted, they can still what you have posted.

thonglor55
April 6th, 2011, 09:32
As I've been reminding the Forum for some time, you and homintern were once, briefly, an "item"; you posted once about the initial encounter and now you are releasing further details that can only be based on this close personal knowledge.Please provide the link to the post to which you refer.If you use the Search mechanism I'm sure you'll find it (I did just now). As for providing you with the link, you can satisfy your own prurience via the aforesaid Search mechanism. You might also Search on terms like Beachlover+legs+homintern for other tit-bits.

Oh and combat - did your original information ("gays are banned; the sky is falling") come direct from Hugh himself or were there one or two intermediaries in your daisy chain of correspondents?

kittyboy
April 6th, 2011, 12:00
Hi,

It seems that the pub group management had a problem or issue with the behaviour of a certain group of 'customers' who happened to be 'gay' from what they are saying. At least they have bothered to offer an explanation. I don't know or want to know the ins and outs but it appears there is more to it than an 'Anti gay policy'

A very reasonable observation. The way combat describes the situtation is he makes it sound like gays folks were targeted...Uh..hey Combat..I have read your posts..Uh..correct me if I am wrong but you were not there? Uh...You were not a participant in the events? Uh.....Maybe you have some drama queen friends who worked their collective support hose into a sheepshank (a knot for those less nautically inclined) based on a misunderstanding...if so why should I care? Uh...now that I think about it..I don't care.

As an aside to some of your earlier comments..I love gay pride parades...The Big Old Drag Queens, the Screaming, the Over the Top Costumes...It makes me proud to be a Gay man..and I support my gay community as much as possible by spending money in clearly identified Gay businesses...It feels great.
So if you have a problem with a business then go to a gay owned business where your money will be taken with glee.

thonglor55
April 6th, 2011, 13:12
So if you have a problem with a business then go to a gay owned business where your money will be taken with glee.And you will usually pay the "gay premium". A good example is the drink prices in gay go-go vs. girly go-go bars in Bangkok.

April 6th, 2011, 20:38
Kitty I expect you'll be waiting a good long while for a response from combat. The silly old queen is too busy scraping egg off that sour old puss.

gaymandenmark
April 6th, 2011, 22:26
So if you have a problem with a business then go to a gay owned business where your money will be taken with glee.And you will usually pay the "gay premium". A good example is the drink prices in gay go-go vs. girly go-go bars in Bangkok.

Hmmm, do you pay more in gay Soi 4, than in other "normal" bars in the same area in Silom Road.??
At least I dont think I pay "gay premium" prices in almost gay DJ Soi 2, compared to other discoes.

I dont know about go-go bars, gay or straight, because I seldom go there.

April 7th, 2011, 20:31
I don't know about go-go bars, gay or straight, because I seldom go there.

Drinks are cheaper in Bangkok's straight go-go bars, ST is more expensive and LT is unpopular with bar girls.

gaymandenmark
April 7th, 2011, 20:48
I don't know about go-go bars, gay or straight, because I seldom go there.

Drinks are cheaper in Bangkok's straight go-go bars, ST is more expensive and LT is unpopular with bar girls.

Excuse me, maybe I should be old enough to know, I know what GT is, but what is ST and LT?

April 8th, 2011, 06:01
A wild guess but perhaps SH = short time, and LT = long time.

April 8th, 2011, 06:12

OK,

What's GT, Good time,Gay time,Great time???

When did these abbreviations kick in?? BIHANI. :dontknow: :dontknow:

James Barnes
April 8th, 2011, 10:11
OUT in Thailand has investigated this story after a complaint against the Barbican was made by one of our readers.

To get the full story, visit http://out-in-thailand.com/facebook

OUT iT, serving the gay community and getting results!

dab69
April 8th, 2011, 10:23
OUT link above:

"The Barbican Management very much regret the way a recent communication was received by a group of loyal gay customers and would like to take this opportunity to publically apologise for any misunderstandings caused.

The Barbican is for people from any community, our customers like the fact the Barbican is a mix of many different kinds of people - a good

balance of the sexes, locals and tourists, Asians and westerners - gay and straight, all are very welcome.

The group, as always are very welcome to frequent our establishment and I very much look forward to greeting them once more in the near future and put this unfortunate and misread incident behind us.

For and on behalf of the management."

Patexpat
April 8th, 2011, 10:39
Can't help but think this diplomatic response from 'The Management' raises more questions about the original event than it answers.

James Barnes
April 8th, 2011, 10:44
Can't help but think this diplomatic response from 'The Management' raises more questions about the original event than it answers.

Very perceptive Patexpat but if the art of diplomacy is providing a ladder down which people can climb, all is well!

Let's say that there was much lost in translation in the original event and Joy Menzies is genuinely contrite.

April 8th, 2011, 11:02
I love the heading from their Facebook page:

OUT in Thailand saves the day!

Saves the day from what? Seems to be much ado about nothing.

and this:

a scandal that was rocking the internet forums...

Half a dozen posts on Ting Tong and this thread constitute a rocking scandal??

thonglor55
April 8th, 2011, 13:57
Let's say that there was much lost in translation in the original event ...Or to put it another way, an old Welsh queen and his effeminate Thai boyfriend were "spoken to" by the Barbican management and immediately circulated a slander on the Internet that Barbican management had asked them to leave "because they were gay" and that the management "had instituted an anti-gay policy". Then a number of people including Out contacted the management and were given an explanation of the facts ie. there has never been an anti-gay policy, just an anti-nuisance one. That's hardly activism on the part of Out or anyone else but people do have to feel so self-important these days (hullo combat).

gaymandenmark
April 8th, 2011, 15:29

OK,

What's GT, Good time,Gay time,Great time???

When did these abbreviations kick in?? BIHANI. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Gin Tonic :headbang:

April 8th, 2011, 17:05
.. an old Welsh queen and his effeminate Thai boyfriend were "spoken to" by the Barbican management ...

Max Boyce has moved to Thailand?

:rolling:

April 8th, 2011, 17:46
.. an old Welsh queen and his effeminate Thai boyfriend were "spoken to" by the Barbican management ...

Max Boyce has moved to Thailand?

:rolling:

Either that or Colin from Cheers bar in Pattayaland Soi 2 has had a night out with one of the ladyboy from BBB. Ha!... :laughing3:

thonglor55
April 8th, 2011, 19:35
Max Boyce has moved to Thailand?Either that or Colin from Cheers bar in Pattayaland Soi 2 has had a night out with one of the ladyboy from BBB"Hugh" is the name I've been given.

April 9th, 2011, 02:09
Max Boyce has moved to Thailand?Either that or Colin from Cheers bar in Pattayaland Soi 2 has had a night out with one of the ladyboy from BBB"Hugh" is the name I've been given.

Hi,

Thonglor55, I have to be slightly careful as the poster refers to somebody employed at Ambiance,not that I give a damn about them there! :thebirdman:

I actually like Hugh,but the comment was funny. :sunny:

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

thonglor55
April 9th, 2011, 06:36
HiWas the remainder of your comment censored?

Beachlover
April 9th, 2011, 12:16
OUT in Thailand has investigated this story after a complaint against the Barbican was made by one of our readers.

To get the full story, visit http://out-in-thailand.com/facebook

OUT iT, serving the gay community and getting results!
"OUT in Thailand saves the day!" and "getting results!"... You're kidding right?