PDA

View Full Version : TVdocumentary of boys in the draft draw.some very cute boys

lonelywombat
April 2nd, 2011, 12:41
It is over 50 years since my number came out in the birthday ballot. The memories come flooding back.

cut and paste from youtube.

Uploaded by AlJazeera English on Release: 31 Mar 2010

In Thailand every April, all young men must report to the nearest army recruitment centre for an extraordinary lottery system that determines whether they serve in the military or not. For those living in the south, who are Malay and Muslim, Thailands military is seen as an occupation force - but they too have to join if they are picked. Filmmaker Orlando de Guzman travels to the remote southern village of Dato, in the Pattani Province, to bring us the story of two young village men as they face their own nail-biting recruitment day.

[youtube:1vrjsqcl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbc5p9xmlLM[/youtube:1vrjsqcl]

travelerjim
April 3rd, 2011, 08:16
Thank you lw for sharing this documentary.
An insight into the Thai recruitment day experience.
tj

Cees-Holland
April 3rd, 2011, 15:46
Yeah thanks!.

Referring to military, my bf said he won the lottery.
I always thought it was a figure of speech.

April 4th, 2011, 23:38
Good documentary, thanks Lonely.

krobbie
April 5th, 2011, 02:49
That is a surprisingly moving doco. Good insight into the goings-on re: the draft in the south.

Cheers lonely,
krobbie

April 5th, 2011, 06:14
"тАж if the Thai people really wanted to stop that they would protest in mass numbers so the world media and Thai media couldnтАЩt ignore it, but again that would be too much of an effort and it is easier to just say тАЬMai pen raiтАЭ and keep on living the same old lifestyle as usual. Some parents see it as a last resort to try and straighten out their kids." Brunty@isaanstyle http://www.kodmhai.com/m4/m4-15/H24/H-24.html

zinzone
April 5th, 2011, 15:20
Many thanks to the OP for posting this film. Informative, insightful and interesting. A big contrast to the so called documentary about Phuket featured elsewhere on this web board ruined by some stupid cow with an attitude to match.
What I liked about the army film is that it is non judgmental and allows the participants to tell their own story. There is no reason to suggest that the film is anything other than factual and accurate.

Beachlover
April 5th, 2011, 19:08
Thanks, Lonely. Just been watching that and it's an interesting short documentary.

I like how the atmosphere is very jovial in the conscription lottery scene. Before the lottery draw the Army guy jokes with the candidates saying... "you are all terrified on the inside... look at you, you're as pale as boiled chicken!... Who wants to draw a red? Nobody?" LOL. Very Thai.

It is over 50 years since my number came out in the birthday ballot. The memories come flooding back.
You were conscripted for Vietnam?

lonelywombat
April 6th, 2011, 06:14
You were conscripted for Vietnam?

No I am older than that. National Service was introduced in 1951 for the Korean war when I was still at school.. My birthday was drawn out and I was called up mid 55. NS was cancelled about 59 and reintroduced for Vietnam, mid 60's. I trained for Vietnam but did not serve there.