PDA

View Full Version : Finding beach front hotels in Thailand

Beachlover
March 27th, 2011, 22:50
This looks like a good way to find beach front hotels in Thailand. It lists 900 of them: http://www.thebeachfrontclub.com/

Have you ever booked a hotel under the impression it was right on the beach, only to find a road, building, shopping arcade in the way?

These guys have started a website offering ACCURATE information only on beach front hotels around the world.

They say the only two countries it's comprehensive for are THAILAND and BALI... Him and his associates have walked hundreds of kilometres around the beaches and coasts of these two countries to ensure they've got all of them.

I think it's a cool concept and hope they'll work to get the site better.

gaymandenmark
March 28th, 2011, 00:39
Really great find Beachlover.

I searched a bungalow where I stayed 7, or more, years ago on Koh Chiang and it is still on the beach :happy7:

Brad the Impala
March 28th, 2011, 01:27
I have never felt quite the same about beach front bungalows since I was booked into my favorite one, nearest to the sea with a full length sea facing plate glass window, at Patong Beach Bungalows, to visit my boyfriend for Christmas 2004. I was arriving on Christmas Eve, via Bangkok, and was having trouble getting a connecting flight from Bangkok to Phuket. I was wait listed but there was definite availability on flights from Phuket to Bangkok, so my boyfriend suggested that we spent a few days in Bangkok at the beginning of our holiday rather than at the end, as we had planned.

On the morning of Boxing Day we woke in Bangkok to see pictures on TV of Patong being devastated by the tsunami. I later saw photographs of one of the roadside bungalows at Patong Beach Bungalows, 100 yards behind where I would have been staying, after the tsunami hit. There was a speedboat speared through it's plate glass window. We would have undoubtedly been asleep at the time of the impact, after partying the night before, and would have been killed, if it had not been for a small change of plan.

Some said that a tsunami was a once in a lifetime event.............................

Prefer to sleep a little further from the sea nowadays.

Sen Yai
March 28th, 2011, 02:09
I later saw photographs of one of the roadside bungalows at Patong Beach Bungalows, 100 yards behind where I would have been staying, after the tsunami hit.

Some said that a tsunami was a once in a lifetime event.............................

Prefer to sleep a little further from the sea nowadays.

Yes Brad, that was a bit of luck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/beachbungalow.jpg

I also stayed at the Patong Beach Bungalows many times. They were re-built after the Tsunami, but were demolished only a year or two later and the beach-front site re-develeped as La Flora (http://www.laflorapatong.com/). Sadly, it looks soulless and I too choose to stay elsewhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/PBB.jpg

March 28th, 2011, 03:06
Really great find Beachlover.

I searched a bungalow where I stayed 7, or more, years ago on Koh Chiang and it is still on the beach :happy7:

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

bao-bao
March 28th, 2011, 03:26
Thanks for the link to the site - looks like it may well come in handy as reference. :hello1:

Beachlover
March 28th, 2011, 21:58
Glad you were on the right side of that event, Brad. They have a tsunami warning system in place there now but you can never be certain.

beach-front site re-develeped as La Flora (http://www.laflorapatong.com/). Sadly, it looks soulless and I too choose to stay elsewhere.
All the other beach-front hotels in that centre section of Patong Beach are really old and faded (Impiana and Patong Bay Garden) so if you're going to pay to stay beachfront, I think La Flora is the only one worthwhile. I think it looks gorgeous but most rooms don't face the beach and ones that do were over my budget on previous trips... maybe next trip. The Sea View Suite or Private Pool Villa look sweet!

Patexpat
March 29th, 2011, 10:56
Great site for having a browse!

Patong Beach Bungalows - many a happy holiday there throughout the 90's before we moved here full time.... made good friends with the staff some of whom we are still in touch with today ... and yes they have amazing stories of escaping the Tsunami - when many of their friends didn't.

I think Brad that our our favourite bungalow was probably the same as yours - at the end of the path from the road, bar to left, pool to the right and the gay beach straight ahead!

Brad the Impala
March 30th, 2011, 04:52
Thanks for the photos Sen Yai, and Patexpat that sounds like the same bungalow. It was a special place to stay, not at all grand, in fact the bungalows were quite basic, but it had an atmosphere, a character, and an easy going ambiance with staff who had been there a long time who you got to know, and as mentioned it was right on the gay beach while being central to Patong. I've never found anywhere else in Patong where I enjoy staying half as much.

Patexpat
March 30th, 2011, 14:34
Thanks for the photos Sen Yai, and Patexpat that sounds like the same bungalow. It was a special place to stay, not at all grand, in fact the bungalows were quite basic, but it had an atmosphere, a character, and an easy going ambiance with staff who had been there a long time who you got to know, and as mentioned it was right on the gay beach while being central to Patong. I've never found anywhere else in Patong where I enjoy staying half as much.

hear hear .... tho Club One Seven came close for friendliness ... which I still stay at on my breaks to this day