PDA

View Full Version : If you like the gay beach area in Pattaya.....

bucknaway
March 19th, 2011, 07:49
Well it seems that the party is coming to and end for one of us. My boss is going to retire at the end of the year and once he does I won't be able to take extended vacations. This will be my final trip to Thailand for a long, long time. With that in mind, I wanted to have as nice a stay as possible and can't help but wonder if I am missing out on the perfect place.

On my prior visits to Pattaya I have stayed at the Flamingo. I liked it there but didn't find it to be anything special besides being a very good value for a suite. I tried boyztown, staying at the LeCafe Royale and the Ambiance. I liked staying in Boyztown at first but when the lights went out, so did the fun of being there and in the morning it was about as much fun as helping your grandmother hand-wash her bloomers and pantyhose. I tried Howard's but found the area a little too down market for true relaxation, leisure and enjoyment.

It turns out that I preferred to be near the beach which is odd because I don't like the beach here in the USA due to the roar of the ocean as well as the seagulls, but that is not a problem in Pattaya.

At the beach I have stayed at the Room-Club and liked it there a lot. During my visits there they seem to have a never ending problem with the hot water but the staff there were friendly and very helpful. The rooms were very nice with a modern chic feel. It didn't hurt that they were spitting distance from the gay beach section. If the Room-club had a private entrance for renters it would be perfect for me.

I have found the View Talay 5 to be the most comfortable place for me to stay. I only wish that the Condo itself were closer to the beach, but after leaving the lobby you must walk the path around Avalon and use a electronic pass to activate the security gate to exit out onto the beach near Tui's. If I don't find a better place to stay when I return, I will be staying at the View Talay 5 again.

So.... Any suggestions on a little known Gem of a place to stay while in Pattaya?

March 19th, 2011, 08:05
Well it seems that the party is coming to and end for one of us. My boss is going to retire at the end of the year and once he does I won't be able to take extended vacations. This will be my final trip to Thailand for a long, long time. With that in mind, I wanted to have as nice a stay as possible and can't help but wonder if I am missing out on the perfect place.

On my prior visits to Pattaya I have stayed at the Flamingo. I liked it there but didn't find it to be anything special besides being a very good value for a suite. I tried boyztown, staying at the LeCafe Royale and the Ambiance. I liked staying in Boyztown at first but when the lights went out, so did the fun of being there and in the morning it was about as much fun as helping your grandmother hand-wash her bloomers and pantyhose. I tried Howard's but found the area a little too down market for true relaxation, leisure and enjoyment.

It turns out that I preferred to be near the beach which is odd because I don't like the beach here in the USA due to the roar of the ocean as well as the seagulls, but that is not a problem in Pattaya.

At the beach I have stayed at the Room-Club and liked it there a lot. During my visits there they seem to have a never ending problem with the hot water but the staff there were friendly and very helpful. The rooms were very nice with a modern chic feel. It didn't hurt that they were spitting distance from the gay beach section. If the Room-club had a private entrance for renters it would be perfect for me.

I have found the View Talay 5 to be the most comfortable place for me to stay. I only wish that the Condo itself were closer to the beach, but after leaving the lobby you must walk the path around Avalon and use a electronic pass to activate the security gate to exit out onto the beach near Tui's. If I don't find a better place to stay when I return, I will be staying at the View Talay 5 again.

So.... Any suggestions on a little known Gem of a place to stay while in Pattaya?

Hi,

Not been myself for a while bucky but have you thought about Poseidon given your comments above re location and proximity to beach etc etc??

http://www.poseidon-pattaya.com/e-z-vip.htm

RichLB
March 19th, 2011, 09:11
I have also heard good things about Ganymede. The reports I've heard are that the rooms are nice and they have opened a new sauna and karaoke lounge (sound proofed!) downstairs. Plus the bar itself seems to be picking up and becoming popular. In addition to the previously mentioned Poseidon and Ganymede, there is also the Venue.

bucknaway
March 19th, 2011, 11:17
Thanks, I think I am leaning towards a place that is not a gay establishment. I think my guests are more comfortable visiting me in a place that does not fly the rainbow flag (If you know what I mean).

Maybe I should just be happy with the View Talay. All my friends like it and many of them have checked into the cost of buying a condo there.

Surfcrest
March 20th, 2011, 03:22
Buck, so sorry the Thailand visits will be drying up in the future for you. There are plenty more condo options in the Jomtien area...and I've seen some offered for rent from pretty much every building in the area on various sites. It's really a matter of what you want to be close to and the farthest away from.

The construction on Thappraya Road has things turned into a mess from BrunoтАЩs to the arch near the beach. If you are above that, youтАЩll have to cross through it every time you go to the beach and picking up at baht bus from this area is going to be tough in the afternoon to early evening. The construction has made the Jomtien Complex plaza pretty dusty and the mosquitoes have been particularly bad. They are actively working on the stretch of road directly adjacent to the Poseiden.

Any building along the beachfront should be fine from the Jomtien Condotel (beside the Rabbit Resort) down to the Jomtien Palm Beach. If you are looking at View Talay 7, you should know there is construction right next door on the Pattaya side. There are quite often openings (although not a lot of short term) in my building, the twin towers. Let me know if you need some help finding something!

thonglor55
March 20th, 2011, 03:30
Thanks, I think I am leaning towards a place that is not a gay establishment. I think my guests are more comfortable visiting me in a place that does not fly the rainbow flag (If you know what I mean).Our closeted friend Beachlover will be visiting you - yes, we know what you mean.

Up2U
March 20th, 2011, 07:06

I stayed in VT5-C this last January-February. If you are a late sleeper the daytime construction noise might bother you if you are on the south side (JomTien side) as there is a new resort being constructed between VT5-C and VT7. Also consider (increasing cost order) VT2, VT5-D or VT7 (south side only for the same reason). A more expensive choice is the Rabbit or Avalon itself. I enjoy the this area because of the beach itself and easy access to the gay night-time venues in the JCC and surrounding area dining options.

jolyjacktar
March 20th, 2011, 14:52
Hi Buck i love to stay at the Rabbit Resort. Not been for a few years but always found it peaceful there. Little pricey but depends on what you wanna spend.
I too am finding the trips are getting wider apart these days. Once i would be jumping on a plane about 3 times a year but lucky now if it once every 18 months, still have some good pics to look at from over the years.

HawaiiBoy
March 20th, 2011, 15:13
That gate you mentioned on the beach from View Talay5 had been removed when I was last in Jomtien in December. Didn't hear why, but I enjoyed taking the short cut to Jomtien Complex upon occasion.

bao-bao
March 20th, 2011, 21:26
I love to stay at the Rabbit Resort. Not been for a few years but always found it peaceful there. Little pricey but depends on what you wanna spend. ... still have some good pics to look at from over the years.
There hasn't been much posted here about the Rabbit Resort in quite a while, should memory serve - how about some of your observations while you were there, whenever that was... it doesn't have to be more than a list of things you liked and didn't like about it, really. I've always thought it was a bit out of the way, but that may well add to the "peaceful" part, too. Hope you'll make the time to respond, and thanks in advance if you can. Any pictures you've taken would be especially appreciated.

Up2U
March 20th, 2011, 22:38
That gate you mentioned on the beach from View Talay5 had been removed when I was last in Jomtien in December. Didn't hear why, but I enjoyed taking the short cut to Jomtien Complex upon occasion.

Well then it was reinstalled or fixed in January/February. There is a guard there too. He doesn't have a pass card himself so you are SOL if you don't have one (unless you piggyback when someone else enters/exits).

lonelywombat
March 21st, 2011, 10:21
I stayed with friends at Rabbit Resort several years back They had a car and the access from the rear car park was very convenient. When I wanted to go out by myself ,I used the free car service to the police box. On my return I used a motorbike taxi almost to the door.[via the car park entrance]

From the unit that we stayed in, it appears to be more suited for families or several couples travelling together. I used to walk a little over 100 yards to the gay beach and on a few occasions I had my manicure and massages on the beach outside Rabbit.

http://www.rabbitresort.com/

On a google search you will find a lot of reviews.

bucknaway
August 15th, 2011, 05:09
I am all booked at the View Talay 5D. The cost went up about 100 Baht a night.
I am looking forward to staying there. The condo is big, the kitchen comes in handy and the view is very nice.

I do kinda miss staying at the Room-club also. It use to be my favorite place to stay on the beach before I found the View Talay 5.

Brisboy82
August 15th, 2011, 07:13
Thanks, I think I am leaning towards a place that is not a gay establishment. I think my guests are more comfortable visiting me in a place that does not fly the rainbow flag (If you know what I mean).

Maybe I should just be happy with the View Talay. All my friends like it and many of them have checked into the cost of buying a condo there.
Why don't your friends like gay places? Are they closet cases? I tend to avoid people with those kind of emotional issues.

What is wrong with staying in a gay hotel at least then you don't have to watch out for homophobic farangs.

bucknaway
August 15th, 2011, 08:40
I can only assume why they don't want to be seen going into a gay hotel. To be honest I don't truly care, I only want to make them comfortable visiting me during my short visit.

But there are plenty of guys that don't care.

The ones that don't work for you means there will be plenty left for me and the ones that don't work for me means there will be plenty of the others left for you :alc:

Brisboy82
August 15th, 2011, 08:49
I guess that's the food thing about individual tastes. We all have our own preferences so not all competing for the attention o he same guys all the time.

bucknaway
August 15th, 2011, 09:02
Exactly. And I am such a butterfly that I don't mind the guys wanting to keep a low profile. I stayed at one place and the guy at the desk seem to smirk every time I would bring a different guy to my room and yes, I was bringing a lot of guys to my room :rolling: :occasion9:

Brisboy82
August 15th, 2011, 11:58
Exactly. And I am such a butterfly that I don't mind the guys wanting to keep a low profile. I stayed at one place and the guy at the desk seem to smirk every time I would bring a different guy to my room and yes, I was bringing a lot of guys to my room :rolling: :occasion9:

I remember on my first trip to Thailand I was staying at Wendy house and bringing back 2 or 3 different local guys every day and they didn't seem phased at all. Very laid
Back there.

Let me retract that statement. I just looked at their website and it says no visitor allowed! Well I will never stay there again!!

Thailand seems to be becoming more and more Conservative.

neoncrusade
August 16th, 2011, 18:47

I was beginning to think that too, until last year when I stayed at the Amari Nova Suites in Pattaya. I wanted somewhere with a pool (I can never go in the sea at Jomtein because I know I'll come out more filthy than I was before I went in). There's no joiner's fee, and depending on who was at the front desk, they didn't always check ID's. I took five of my Thai friends to my suite one evening to do some cooking/drinking/play guitar etc etc, and none of them were asked for ID's.
Surely ID's should be checked not just to stop under age goings on. In this case as my friends were all in their 20's long hair, tattoos and smelled of motor oil, they should have been patted down and checked for concealed weapons at least?!

Brisboy82
August 17th, 2011, 10:08

I was beginning to think that too, until last year when I stayed at the Amari Nova Suites in Pattaya. I wanted somewhere with a pool (I can never go in the sea at Jomtein because I know I'll come out more filthy than I was before I went in). There's no joiner's fee, and depending on who was at the front desk, they didn't always check ID's. I took five of my Thai friends to my suite one evening to do some cooking/drinking/play guitar etc etc, and none of them were asked for ID's.
Surely ID's should be checked not just to stop under age goings on. In this case as my friends were all in their 20's long hair, tattoos and smelled of motor oil, they should have been patted down and checked for concealed weapons at least?!

Perhaps theincreasing conservatism is concentrated among the hi so Bangkok crowd who are becoming more and more western and Chinese thinking while the rest of the country retains the more tolerant Thai attitudes that we so love.

Urban bangkokians seem to be very Chinese in behavior and don't act Thai at all. Hence why middle class Bangkok Thais always seem to be claiming some Chinese background as if they are superior to other Thais.

cameroncat
August 17th, 2011, 12:10
I would feel much more uncomfortable dragging a bunch of hookups to a straight hotel. Money Boys and Bar Boys could care less where you take them. It is true some non-commercial boys may turn their nose up at a place like the Malaysia Hotel, but a nice place like Poseidon shouldn't be a problem. And if my Straight friends are uncomfortable visiting me at a hotel flying a rainbow flag, I don't want them as "Friends"

Brisboy82
August 17th, 2011, 12:24
I would feel much more uncomfortable dragging a bunch of hookups to a straight hotel. Money Boys and Bar Boys could care less where you take them. It is true some non-commercial boys may turn their nose up at a place like the Malaysia Hotel, but a nice place like Poseidon shouldn't be a problem. And if my Straight friends are uncomfortable visiting me at a hotel flying a rainbow flag, I don't want them as "Friends"

As I pointed out in regards to Wendy house. If you are going to stay at a straight hotel you need to research first whether they allow visitors. Some straight hotels have a 'family friendly' anti-guest or anti-Thai policy. Hereas gay hotels always allow visitors.

And yes I have even been to hotels that have a no Thai policy even if the Thai guest is booked in with me. They won't take a booking if one of the guests is Thai.

ikarus
August 17th, 2011, 13:47
For those who are interested in somewhat less standard options I would like recommend Nova Platinum hotel.
Advantages: South Pattaya near Sunee
Several swimming pools
Very fast internet free of charge
Nobody cares about guests of legal age (ID required)
Executive rooms are quite nice and 3000 baht per night. However, for long stay (1 month) I got 50 percent discount
Drawbacks:
Cannot make phone calls from the room
Huge amount of Arabs, Indians and Russians but nobody bothered me and my guests during the whole stay

August 17th, 2011, 13:55

My kind of people, my kind of party!

Brisboy82
August 17th, 2011, 15:26

My kind of people, my kind of party!
Yes it really does sound like a great party!