PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok in June

sydneyboy
March 18th, 2011, 18:40
Can any Bangkok resident or frequent traveller gave practical advice on the weather in June? I know it is the wet season but according to the charts it has less rain the May or July. Is it a good time to be in Bangkok? Comments appreciated.

Beachlover
March 19th, 2011, 10:13
All I know is June in Bangkok is HOT... it's not nice to spend too much time outdoors walking around a lot (ok to stroll but if you walk quickly you'll get sweaty) but Bangkok's pretty easy since you can get the air conditioned skytrains or taxis everywhere. No major reason not to go in June. Carry an umbrella for the rain.

Jellybean
March 19th, 2011, 14:38
Hi Sydneyboy, I always spend the months of May to August back in the UK so IтАЩve no personal experience of being in Bangkok in those months. But IтАЩve checked my handy Eyewitness Travel Guide for Thailand and found the following information regarding тАЬAverage Monthly Rainfall (Bangkok)тАЭ which I hope is of some help:

June usually has less rainfall than September, August, October, May and July (in descending order). So June falls roughly in the middle range for rainfall.

As regards the temperature, only March, April and May are hotter. (Source: Average Monthly Temperature (Bangkok)

Lastly, with regard to coping with the weather, I can offer you no better advice than already offered by Beachlover.

March 19th, 2011, 17:44
Hi,
June is OK and liveable,just a lot quieter than usual,but that seems to apply to many months over there now.

I think too much emphasis gets put on the Thai weather,an the rains as a rule,don't last long. It can be fun to see South Pattaya, one minute you're wading through the water and in a couple of hours it's gone.

It makes you feel alive,on holiday and away from the normal,grey predictable sKies of the UK (IN MY CASE) I used to love it in Koh Samui or Phuket when they had a downpour. No,I don't mean a tsunami either,before any of the boards wit jumps in!

Regardless, I wouldn't let a bit of possible rain put me off,it can be a bit humid in Bangkok,but just buy some cheap throwaway T shirts. :sunny:

anonone
March 19th, 2011, 19:36
Hi,
I think too much emphasis gets put on the Thai weather,an the rains as a rule,don't last long. It can be fun to see South Pattaya, one minute you're wading through the water and in a couple of hours it's gone.

It makes you feel alive,on holiday and away from the normal,grey predictable sKies of the UK (IN MY CASE) I used to love it in Koh Samui or Phuket when they had a downpour. No,I don't mean a tsunami either,before any of the boards wit jumps in!

I agree with this approach. I caught the tail end monsoon season last year (as well as several other tail ends :rolling: )

It was my first experience with monsoon season and I really liked it. Watching the storm roll in, ducking into a nearby bar to wait out the worst of it....it really added some variety to the holiday.
It might vary with individual temperament, but for me, no worries.

HawaiiBoy
March 20th, 2011, 15:03
I was in Pattaya in July last year. At about noon we could see the rain cloud coming in so I hightailed it from the beach to the nearest massage place in Jomtien Complex before the rain started. No boys were on duty yet, but the owner called up my favorite guy and he came in for a rather wonderful two hour session that ended well after the rain had passed. Can't think of a better way to spend a rainy afternoon!

krobbie
March 21st, 2011, 01:34
Sydneyboy, I was in Bangkok last May and I love that time of year. I know it's stinking hot and humid as the rains haven't started in earnest (and inland not at all). I had intended to be back this May also but it looks more like it will be June.

In Bangkok when the rain starts all the pedestrians just stay under shelter for the 15-30 minutes it may take for it to stop. I always have an umbrella in my back -pack but don't bet on it keeping you dry when the torrents come. Once the rain is over, it's business as usual and the pedestrians just pour back out onto the street.

Any time is the right time for Thailand IMHO.

I must confess we could have done without the Red Shirt riots last May. We had a curfew for my last week when we had to be back at the hotel at 7pm. It got later further on in the week but it was a bit of a phaff as the BTS wasn't running and the buses were insanely full. The taxi men were having the time of their lives unless they had gone to the protest site as many had.

When I was back over Christmas it was as if the May incident was in another country until Sunday afternoons when the Red Shirts Protest Group took to the streets with their loud-hailers. At this point of the afternoon we were usually swimming in our hotel pool so it didn't affect as much.

The other thing about the wet season is the water temperature in the swimming pools is much warmer as the night/day temperatures don't fluctuate as much as they do in Winter (Dec - April). My guy has said though that 3 days last week were very cold for Bangkok and there has been rain already. In fact this past weekend there were quite heavy showers.

I seem to have rambled Sydneyboy ... just go.

newalaan
March 21st, 2011, 03:31
I know this probably won't sound too helpful sydneyboy, BUT......from my own experience of Bkk/Thailand visits,and i have visited in every month except November and December over the last eleven years of multiple visits........ like the locals in Thailand, I make no real differentiation between the various months nor consessions about what i wear or pack in my suitcase on each and every trip. The only exception, again, as the locals do, is use an umbrella in the hardest rainy days/evening. Nowadays i dont even remember or bother to check up which of the months are rainy/hot/cool/humid etc.. prior to or during a visit.

I have been to Bkk/Thailand in June probably 9 of the last 11 years and have always enjoyed a June visit just as much as any other month.

The locals in Thailand do not make any pre-plan for weather and just take each day as it comes, they don't change any clothing items or habits to take account of specifically rainy or dry days all year round, the only consession in my experience i have seen is a light jacket during the very coldest weather (which to me is still warm). I have visited my bfs village at all times of year and the clothing they wear never differs all year round.

It is warm/hot all year round in my opinion, my clothing is geared to and varies around my activities not the weather. In the cities always jeans, long trousers at all times. Beach....shorts or light canvas combats/jeans. Evenings.......no matter where i am, i'm always in long jeans/trousers/chinos. Sometimes i wear shorts in the bfs village during the day. Evenings........always casual shirts,sometimes with tee-shirts under, but never tee-shirts only. During the day sometimes tee shirts but usually short sleeve casual shirts/polo style shirts.

When you walk around outside in Bkk no matter what the time of year........it is very warm, hot or very hot, it can be different every day or there can even be three weather types in one day.

When heavy rain is about to arrive you can easily tell by the thickening blue/grey colour of the clouds, but more accurately just look what the locals are up to. Some can even tell within 30 mins or so if there is to be a sudden weather change. As already said, when in Bkk you have aircon all around if you need a break from the heat when out and about. There is the BTS/taxis/shops/malls/restaurants all with aircon, and of course the bars either with aircon or electric fans.

If you do go in June, have a good time, i'll be there in June again this year.
Any time is the right time for Thailand IMHO.Could'nt agree more!

March 21st, 2011, 03:53
Gents,

Be you flying around the streets in a smelly tuk tuk,bartering at Patpong,drenched in a downpour,stuck behind an elephant in traffic,eating bugs for a bet,on the sidewalk or getting given a cold scented towel in a hostelry.

You could be playing connect 4 with a bar girl in the beer bar on an afternoon or eating Tom Yam on the beach in Pattaya, you laugh and enjoy yourselves,you look up in the air at that big ball of yellow fire and clear blue skies and it's great to feel alive...... That's the Amazing bit of Thailand.

Ask yourselves a question..........'Do I smile like this and enjoy myself as much at home ? ' :idea:

Beachlover
March 21st, 2011, 20:49
Unless you're especially sensitive to heat, the only situation you should re-consider visiting Thailand during the hotter or rainier months is if you're planning a beach-type holiday like Phuket.

During the hot/rainy seasons the beach and the sea isn't as nice... The water's rougher, not as clear and it can be windier, which makes it less ideal for snorkeling, kayaking and other water/island stuff. In my experience, the beaches and tropical islands are at their best in Dec/Jan/Feb, though I've never been to a beach there in March/April.

March 21st, 2011, 20:55
Unless you're especially sensitive to heat, the only situation you should re-consider visiting Thailand during the hotter or rainier months is if you're planning a beach-type holiday like Phuket.

During the hot/rainy seasons the beach and the sea isn't as nice... The water's rougher, not as clear and it can be windier, which makes it less ideal for snorkeling, kayaking and other water/island stuff. In my experience, the beaches and tropical islands are at their best in Dec/Jan/Feb, though I've never been to a beach there in March/April.

Given that the OP specifically asked about the weather in June in Bangkok this post is totally irrelevant.

Beachlover
March 21st, 2011, 21:07
OIAW... My post covers the OP's question and is no more irrelevant than other replies. There are multiple posts previous to mine referring to places other than Bangkok and some which don't refer to Bangkok at all. You haven't attacked any of them...

On the other hand, if we use your criteria (what the OP asked "specifically" about) almost EVERY one of YOUR posts is irrelevant.

I can conservatively estimate MORE than 80% of YOUR previous posts have been bitching, attacking, putting down or belittling other posters. You've rarely, if at all posted anything useful, entertaining or positive at all. Everyone can see this looking through your posting history. You're an overwhelmingly destructive member. That's all I'll say on the matter...

March 21st, 2011, 21:34
So as I said earlier, I'm not responding to any of your other posts.

Promises, promises.

In fact all the other posts in some way or another related to Bangkok or the time of year. Yours didn't. Yours was just another example of your need to have everything be about you.

newalaan
March 21st, 2011, 23:49
In fact all the other posts in some way or another related to Bangkok or the time of year. Yours didn't. Yours was just another example of your need to have everything be about you.So what's your excuse for your multiple off topic posts littering SO MANY of the threads on this forum? Where exactly is YOUR input on 'bangkok in june'? you are starting to morph into a flooder. Please take your creepy stalking somewhere else.

Given that the OP specifically asked about the weather in June in Bangkok this post is totally irrelevantHowever, not anymore irrelevant than your replies to beachlover on virtually EVERY thread he contributes to, (which possibly could actually BE every thread). Would'nt the easiest thing to do, be to simply start up a NEW THREAD entitled 'stalking beachlover' then we wouldn't have to wade through YOUR irrelevant dross, and those with any interest in your obsession would only need to trail one thread.

March 21st, 2011, 23:58
So what's your excuse for your multiple off topic posts littering SO MANY of the threads on this forum? Where exactly is YOUR input on 'bangkok in june'? you are starting to morph into a flooder. Please take your creepy stalking somewhere else.

However, not anymore irrelevant than your replies to beachlover on virtually EVERY thread he contributes to, (which possibly could actually BE every thread). Would'nt the easiest thing to do, be to simply start up a NEW THREAD entitled 'stalking beachlover' then we wouldn't have to wade through YOUR irrelevant dross, and those with any interest in your obsession would only need to trail one thread.

Thank you newalaan you are so right it's an obsession that has become, as you so rightly point out complete dross!

krobbie
March 22nd, 2011, 01:40
The locals in Thailand do not make any pre-plan for weather and just take each day as it comes .....,
Newalaan, you are quite right of course but this is also the recipe for life in general for Thai.

I hope sydneyboy does travel in June. That will be 3 of us that don't mind what the day is going to bring.

I also take the same clothes no matter what time of year I will be traveling. I have one set of clothes which are my something special clothes (and shoes) but the rest of the time is fairly casual but tidy.

Book the trip for June ... you won't regret it.

Cheers
krobbie

sydneyboy
March 22nd, 2011, 17:36
Thank you those who offered constructive comments. At its best this forum is still invaluable. I fly out on 4 June!

krobbie
March 23rd, 2011, 01:20
Thank you those who offered constructive comments. At its best this forum is still invaluable. I fly out on 4 June!

Congratulations! I know you'll have a ball.

Regards
Krobbie