PDA

View Full Version : Notes from a recent Pattaya visit.

newalaan
March 13th, 2011, 08:32
There have been some good informative reviews of Pattaya and the bars there recently so I'll just update a few things from our recent fun week in Pattaya.

Stayed at the Mosaik yet again, still has kept the same very high standards as I experienced on my first stay years ago. Immaculate room, with everything well maintained and the huge Prestige Studio we had, I consider very good value at under Bt900 per day inc electric/water/cleaning. Car unloaded and luggage delivered to our room with the car parked right outside and taken care of for the length of our stay for a few baht tip to the security guy. We needed to stay on 2-3 days more at the end of our week and Mosaik was very flexible and helpful in letting us extend our stay as all the best rooms there are booked solid all year round Checkout up to 6pm is very handy if you wake up late on your leaving day so no pressure to get out by 12 noon as is the case with most hotels. Still highly recommend this place.

Despite Pattayaland being quiet [in 4 of the agogos we visited...DAVIDS,TOYBOYS,SAWATDEE and KAWAII we were the only customers] strangely both COPA and especially BzBzBz were packed out. We had friends visit for a couple of days and they especially wanted to see the shows so (reluctantly) we took them to BzBzBz where the show was awful, boring and staid but was full to capacity with us being wedged into seats at the very back, the crowd was a mix of groups of thais and farang with thai partners but very few females/str8s to be seen. COPA likewise not a spare seat in the house and similar crowd but with a far better show and better range of available boys.

I just found it odd that apart from the host bars Panorama, Oscars and Serene who seemed very busy all the other bars in the Pattayaland Sois were so very quiet, even FUNNY BOYS was not as busy as usual and WILD WEST BOYS had more customers out on the covered patio than inside.

The only exception to this was HAPPY PLACE. Not a big bar, but it was packed to capacity the whole time we were there. This was my first visit here thanks to an invitation from my longtime friend, now manager?? 'M' who even had to set up a table at the front so we could be seated.

We spent quite a while here catching up with the aformentioned 'M' who I have known since his very first day of work in Pattaya as a fresh faced 18 year old from Bkk, and over the years we enjoyed together many nights of fun getting rat-arsed, sharing gay femme boys, naughty karaoke nights, wild concerts, very very late night clubbing, playing guitar with friends whilst getting through a couple dozen large beers, and even games of football (soccer) with his fellow workers, despite all these years of partying and 7 years on, as he is now about 25 years old,he does'nt seem to have aged one day more. During the time we were there the seating was continually full, even after the show (unlike Copa and BzBzBz)none of the audience left, and the good mix of agogo boy types danced energetically, it was the only bar we saw boys actually being offed. This wasn't even a boy bingo night, (if they are still being done).

Seems Unkie must still be doing something right! so good luck to the future of this bar.

NAB seems to have halted the trend of the 'fickle gay crowd's' habit in the past of flocking to a specific venue only to abandon it a few months later leaving it to close in their wake, whereas NAB seems to have survived for a good length of time and is still the 'in place' for the gay crowd, it was packed on the nights we visited. Hollywood too was busy, but unfortunately not with young gays but mainly bearded middle-eastern chaps and their Thai girl entourages, virtually every table with smoking garb. Not my favourite place but my bf likes the show, DJ and attentive waiter service. XYTE however is a pale shadow of its former self with the crowds dwindling even further, we only went here as our friend is one of the show singers there, but our party of 8 did enjoy our own company and the band and shows are excellent, it's a pity, as our friend confirmed, that it will close for good next month.

Sunee was as usual, laid back and enjoyable with very busy beer/host bars and the two agogos we visited there Nice Boys and Mymics were jumping...BUT, and i know its been said a thousand times...BUT, if the owners could just get round to getting rid of the youngest of their staff these bars would be the perfect place in Pattaya to go if you were after a boy to off, great range of cute, handsome and energetic young guys who try to entertain as well as make contact with potential customers..shame about the few young ones.

Notable other venues were In particular Mikes La Cage, on one evening i arrived to find the place absolutely jam packed..apparently it was a fish&chip night and it certainly brought out the customers. Forest Bar, Come-in, Corner Bar and Yayas were excellent too with superb coffee served in both Corner Bar and Yayas.Also enjoyed my visit to Eros which i noted in another thread, i only recognised two of the 12 boys or so available on that visit from the website staff photo. Sunee is still a great area to come for early evening cruising and banter before moving on to the late night venues.

Just a note about drink strengths...all the Sunee bars and agogos had good strong tasting G&Ts etc...also Happy Place drinks were of good strength, but BzBzBz and Copa were the most expensive drinks but weakest tasting along with some of the Pattayaland Soi 1 agogos.

Missed out other places we visited as this was meant to be a short update but as usual is probably too long already so i'll stop there.

Dani69
March 13th, 2011, 19:42
Excellent and to the point report. :notworthy:

anonone
March 13th, 2011, 20:34
Thanks newalaan, for this great update.

I am heading back to Pattaya in a couple of weeks (unfortunately, for just a short visit), so I appreciate the timely reviews. Thanks for taking the time to share the info.

dab69
March 14th, 2011, 05:50
just starting to warm up to the idea of visiting again,
but I see tickets I had passed on in Feb $1150 are now
spring break priced @ $1880

lonelywombat
March 14th, 2011, 07:33

Why dont you post roughly when you want to fly and from where. It is amazing sometimes how members can locate better priced fares.

anonone
March 14th, 2011, 17:27

I don't know where you are coming from, but from the US ticket prices are really high right now, even for travel later this year. I am pretty experienced at finding the deals, but fares are just high across the board now. Thankfully, I had purchased a couple trips before the prices went crazy.

I am hoping the high fares are reactionary due to fuel price fears with the events in the Middle East. If so, the fares should come down a bit if the region stabilizes.
I doubt fares will return to the lows of the last couple years. Capacity has been cut and demand increasing, so the true bargains are going to be hard to find.

dab69
March 15th, 2011, 09:49
kayak.com $1480 same airline that was quoting $1880 (delta)

(from upper midwest usa)

now it's warming up here but will keep in mind.

asdsrfr-old
March 15th, 2011, 10:47
Check out Airfare.com. I just booked the Thai Airways nonstop for $1268 from Lax--about $200 less than any other website including Thai Airways. I am not sure how they can underut Thai Aiways own prices but I definitely have a ticket with seat assignments from Thai Airways. I have used them before for travel to Brazil and they always seem to be the cheapest.

I was also thinking of going to Europe this summer but those fares are crazy everywhere!

Beachlover
March 15th, 2011, 22:54
The only exception to this was HAPPY PLACE. Not a big bar, but it was packed to capacity the whole time we were there. This was my first visit here thanks to an invitation from my longtime friend, now manager?? 'M' who even had to set up a table at the front so we could be seated.

We spent quite a while here catching up with the aformentioned 'M' who I have known since his very first day of work in Pattaya as a fresh faced 18 year old from Bkk, and over the years we enjoyed together many nights of fun getting rat-arsed, sharing gay femme boys, naughty karaoke nights, wild concerts, very very late night clubbing, playing guitar with friends whilst getting through a couple dozen large beers, and even games of football (soccer) with his fellow workers, despite all these years of partying and 7 years on, as he is now about 25 years old,he does'nt seem to have aged one day more. During the time we were there the seating was continually full, even after the show (unlike Copa and BzBzBz)none of the audience left, and the good mix of agogo boy types danced energetically, it was the only bar we saw boys actually being offed. This wasn't even a boy bingo night, (if they are still being done).

Seems Unkie must still be doing something right! so good luck to the future of this bar.
Go Unkie! :hello1:

colmx
March 17th, 2011, 08:24
XYTE however is a pale shadow of its former self with the crowds dwindling even further, we only went here as our friend is one of the show singers there, but our party of 8 did enjoy our own company and the band and shows are excellent, it's a pity, as our friend confirmed, that it will close for good next month.

Hi Alaan
thanks for a great report on thr pattaya scene
Sorry to hear that X-Zyte's day had finally come... but i guess given the dwindling numbers its days were numbered
Didn't see you mention Tum nan ch on on this trip... did you visit?

On my last trip in Dec/jan, I couldn't keep BF away from there!

It seeems that whilst the fickle gay Thai crowd stick with NAB/Dave (for the moment) the mainstream straight crowd have moved from "disco" into "hip hop" and from there into "life music".... which as you know from Tum nan Chun seems to be the music of choice these days!