View Full Version : flipped out

March 10th, 2011, 12:01
Yesterday while shopping in Central Dept store on beach road I witnessed a complete melt down by some western fellow. From his accent I would guess French, but he was so perturbed and having such difficulty with his English skills, I couldn't be sure. He was screaming at the top of his voice to various Thai sales people. Apparently he was told about a month ago to check back as they didn't have a particular bathing suit in his size at that time and they may have it later. Well when it wasn't in stock he threw a fit and demanded to speak to a manager who duly came and took the brunt of his anger. He ended up stomping off after calling all foreigners assholes for buying up his size in swimwear. Quite the display. I wondered later why someone would get so angry over something as trivial as this and thought that surely there must have been a series of events occur and that possibly this was the last straw that this guy could take. Living in this country must certainly have its challenges especially if one doesn't speak Thai, let alone very good English. Even after being here for only 2 weeks I can imagine that daily life here can be very exasperating....

March 10th, 2011, 17:15
It depends on your temperament I guess.

The only time I get exasperated and sense steam coming out my ears is when I'm expected to trail after "the boy" whilst he visits each and every Royal Garden Plaza clothing store looking for this year's new wardrobe collection.

The trailing about is bad enough but I'm expected to look vaguely interested into the bargain and to believe the exclamations of how cheap everything is in Thailand compared to his home country (an excuse to buy multiple items).

I never go shopping myself other than for groceries (do it all online) and I admit to struggling with this scenario when I would far rather be having several cold beers in the food court upstairs. I have been known to become extremely tetchy after 2 hours of such crap.

:occasion9: :occasion9:

Beachlover
March 10th, 2011, 21:00
I saw a guy flip out in the middle of Boyztown once. It just looked like he'd had it with the money boys altogether. He was walking up to random boys on the street, propositioning them and then blowing up at them saying he was sick of Thais and their ways etc. Each time he did it the boy would have this look, which I've never seen before, sort of frowning, looking very offended to the extreme and confused at the same time. It was like they didn't know how to react.

Top marks for showing restraint though. Not a single boy did anything to him and all turned around and walked away from him.

I never go shopping myself other than for groceries (do it all online) and I admit to struggling with this scenario when I would far rather be having several cold beers in the food court upstairs. I have been known to become extremely tetchy after 2 hours of such crap...
Scottish... I think you're trying to say you hate shopping! I usually have little patience for shopping (quick as possible) unless I'm relaxed and on holidays. But when you're with someone you like, it should be an enjoyable thing! It's not about the shopping, it's spending time with your boyfriend or friends, like going to the movies or helping them move house!

March 10th, 2011, 22:33
I wouldn't go shopping ever again unless supervised Scotty if you happen to like wearing the type of clothes shown in your avatar. At first glance it/she/him reminds me of 'you know who' from Boys town.... :dontknow:

Beachlover
March 15th, 2011, 22:16
I liked your last avatar more, Scotty!

Geezer
March 16th, 2011, 22:52
Duh!

Why on earth would someone who doesnтАЩt like shopping (such as myself) even consider going shopping with a boy?

If a boy insists tell him you donтАЩt like shopping,. He can go after you have finished with him. If one agrees to go shopping why then complain about it on a message board?

This isn't rocket science. Just say no.

March 17th, 2011, 01:15
Duh!

Why on earth would someone who doesnтАЩt like shopping (such as myself) even consider going shopping with a boy?

Politeness?

Try it sometime.

I go shopping with him because he comes with me to things he probably doesnt like 100%

It's not rocket science.

:occasion9:

krobbie
March 17th, 2011, 02:01
In somewhat the same vein, my guy and I were walking out of Thannon Pat Pong 1 which is a short cut from Surawong Rd to Silom Rd and there we came across a gay white man of about 40 in an absolute state of apoplexy. There is/was a large open-air bag shop on the Silom corner and he was having a heated debate with 2 of the sales assistants.

He was slamming has hand down on the counter and 'flipping' the bags over in disdain and screaming at the top of his lungs ... "How dare you! (slam!) How very dare you! (slam!) How dare you say that about my mother and my family (slam!) How dare you! (slam!)

In turn one of the sales assistants had a big stick she produced from under the counter which looked somewhat well used. She beat down on the wooden counter with the stick to punctuate her sentences of Thai obscenities. When he slammed, she slammed with the sick. When he 'flipped' over the merchandise she slammed with the stick. All the while he said, "How dare you, how very dare you!".

These two had drawn quite a crowd and we hadn't witnessed the beginning of the showdown, just the tail end. It came to a halt when the white guy pushed a whole lot of bags to the floor in front of the woman who was behind the counter and stormed off in high dudgeon. It was a great show. My guy and I laughed about it for hours it looked so comical.

To this day, some 3 years later, when my guy retorts in mock anger he will say "How dare you, how very dare you!".

March 17th, 2011, 02:22
Well I don't like to say I've heard it all before dear but are you sure the guy wasn't Catherine Tate in reverse-drag?

In fact - is your bf Catherine Tate???

Here she is from 2007

[youtube:32688kr6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hfZqbZtT6E[/youtube:32688kr6]

Geezer
March 17th, 2011, 03:10
Duh!

Politeness?

Try it sometime.

I go shopping with him because he comes with me to things he probably doesnt like 100%

It's not rocket science.

:occasion9:

For me consideration is not asking a friend to do something he doesnтАЩt enjoy unless their is a reason for it.

I donтАЩt ask my friend to eat farang food with me; he doesnтАЩt ask me to eat Thai with him. He doesnтАЩt ask me to go to football games; I donтАЩt ask him to accompany me to symphony concerts. We may try things once. If one of us doesnтАЩt find them enjoyable, we wouldnтАЩt dream of asking the other to continue.

This works for us -- thirteen years without the first cross word. If something else works best for others, fine.

thonglor55
March 17th, 2011, 04:22
In somewhat the same vein, my guy and I were walking out of Thannon Pat Pong 1 which is a short cut from Surawong Rd to Silom Rd ...Why do prople bother writing in this way? Both Silom and Suriwong are Thanon (road) but I'd be very surprised if either Patpong streets are Thanon, much more like they are Soi. On the other hand many people refer to Convent as a Soi when it is in fact a Thanon. Much better to adopt the convention of using the English word (after all, we are writing in English, aren't we) road at all times or do what the Thai do a lot of the time and not use the Thanon, Soi etc. nomenclature at all. Most Thai I know simply talk about Silom, Surawong, Thonglor, Sukhumvit or Convent without using Thanon or Soi at all. Most Thais use Soi only when they are referrring to the number, not the name. Mind you I am myself guilty of referring to "Soi Twilight" even though Twilight Bar is long gone, so as to make clear I mean the street and not the bar.

Sen Yai
March 17th, 2011, 06:34
Why do prople bother writing in this way? Both Silom and Suriwong are Thanon (road) but I'd be very surprised if either Patpong streets are Thanon, much more like they are Soi. On the other hand many people refer to Convent as a Soi when it is in fact a Thanon.

Prepare to be very surprised:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Phatphong.jpg

On the other hand, you are correct:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/convent.jpg

colmx
March 17th, 2011, 07:35
Well I don't like to say I've heard it all before dear but are you sure the guy wasn't Catherine Tate in reverse-drag?

Here she is from 2007

[youtube:2sixisnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hfZqbZtT6E[/youtube:2sixisnc]
Brilliant clip SG... Nice way to welcome me into St. Patricks day... Thanks!

March 17th, 2011, 07:42
In somewhat the same vein, my guy and I were walking out of Thannon Pat Pong 1 which is a short cut from Surawong Rd to Silom Rd and there we came across a gay white man of about 40 in an absolute state of apoplexy. There is/was a large open-air bag shop on the Silom corner and he was having a heated debate with 2 of the sales assistants.

The Patpong street with the open air bag shop on the corner at the Silom end is ... Patpong 2
The Patpong street with the night market is ... Patpong 1 (as shown in Sen Yai's photo)

March 17th, 2011, 07:55
Why do prople bother writing in this way? Both Silom and Suriwong are Thanon (road) but I'd be very surprised if either Patpong streets are Thanon, much more like they are Soi. On the other hand many people refer to Convent as a Soi when it is in fact a Thanon.

Don't you just hate yourself when some smartass comes along and proves you wrong? :laughing3:

anonone
March 17th, 2011, 09:38

Don't you just hate yourself when some smartass comes along and proves you wrong? :laughing3:

And a bit amazed that could post 2 spot-on pictures within 2 hours of the first post. Have a shot of every street sign stored somewhere? Most impressive.

krobbie
March 17th, 2011, 09:54

Here she is from 2007

[youtube:bjutiqpd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hfZqbZtT6E[/youtube:bjutiqpd]
But Scottish, that is why the whole incident was so hilarious. I should have said we had seen this Catherine Tate gag on the TV, so to see it played out in actual life was fucking side splitting.

Incidentally the person who thought that Thanon Phat Pong is more likely a soi, didn't get their information from google earth as I did, even though I see someone collects road sign photos also. Very convenient.

Cheers
Krobbie

thonglor55
March 17th, 2011, 10:05
Don't you just hate yourself when some smartass comes along and proves you wrong?Not at all, I'm always prepared to be educated (unlike many on this Forum (hullo combat)) but, as I said "I'd be surprised if Patpong is a thanon" not "Patpong is not a thanon". However my main beef is with people writing in English using Thai words, like referring in English to Bangkok as Krungthep which is something no Thai would ever do when speaking English. It's either pretension or ignorance or both. Chris Patten made the same point when, as Governor of Hong Kong, he resolutely referred to the capital of China as Peking. I've never heard an English speaker pronounce the capital of Italy as "Roma", just as I've heard many French speakers when speaking in English refer to their capital city as Paris". Of course poor old krobbie comes from the world capital of pretentious pronounciation, where the English speakers when speaking English pronounce place names starting "Wh" as "F" because the cannibal inhabitants who preceded them (and who committed genocide on the inhabitants that preceded them) pronounce it as "F" in their spoken language. And you can all get whucked, I say.

krobbie
March 17th, 2011, 11:34
Whucking hell thonglor, I get your point. I don't think it really matters a jot but if it's important to you, you win. Is that better?

Cheers and have a nice day,
Krobbie

Sen Yai
March 17th, 2011, 13:31
And a bit amazed that could post 2 spot-on pictures within 2 hours of the first post. Have a shot of every street sign stored somewhere? Most impressive.

Google is a powerful tool !

thonglor55
March 17th, 2011, 13:37
Whucking hell thonglor, I get your point. I don't think it really matters a jot but if it's important to you, you win. Is that better?Pointing out people's foolishness is a hobby, not a competiton. :idea:

Beachlover
March 17th, 2011, 18:41

If a boy insists tell him you donтАЩt like shopping,. He can go after you have finished with him. If one agrees to go shopping why then complain about it on a message board?

This isn't rocket science. Just say no.
Ah, well in a healthy, genuine relationship part of it is called COMPROMISING to show your other half you care about him and enjoy spending time together! That's what people do in normal healthy relationships... When my BF and I go out to eat he's always trying to steer us towards what I like and I'm trying to steer us towards what I know he'll like more.

I get your thing about not asking him to do something you know he won't like after trying it though...

But Scottish, that is why the whole incident was so hilarious. I should have said we had seen this Catherine Tate gag on the TV, so to see it played out in actual life was fucking side splitting.
That cracked me up as did Scottish's Catherine Tate thing. Sometimes a good flip out can be hilarious to watch. When I catch up school mates the thing we most remember about high school was when we made the teachers flip out...

thonglor55
March 17th, 2011, 19:12
Google is a powerful tool !And Google cache even more so.