PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in Thailand

Surfcrest
March 8th, 2011, 16:05
There has been a fair amount of chatter over the past few months about shopping in Thailand, probably most notably Bangkok. There are probably quite a few opinions out there when it comes to Thailand tailors, the suit and shirt makers regardless of what race they are.

Like any of you, weтАЩve probably all walked by the street side tailors, whether they are in Patong Beach, on Beach Road in PattayaтАж.seen the displays or the sales pitch and said, no thanks. I imagine that unless you try one, there is no saying whether they are any good or not and so that first impression may be the only impression.

Probably your best bet, if you are going to have some clothes made for you while you are over here in Thailand, is to go with a shop that is recommended. A shop where someone has bought something or had something made and has a genuine opinion.

Of the shops I have used over the years I can recommend Peter Nang Factory 54 3/6 Siphraya Rd, Near Mandarin Hotel, Bangrak and Stylo Collection 414 Between Soi 22-24, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok. I just had more shirts made for me at Stylo a few weeks back. Yes the Stylo team (also associated with Versace tailors on Sukumvit) are East Indian their tailor is Thai. It probably shouldn't matter what race they are, good tailors and bad tailors come from all sorts of backgrounds and so it boils down to workmanship and the quality / price of materials.

The big draw card for having clothes made in Thailand is the cost. The workmanship is a lot cheaper than what you would probably pay back home, if a tailor like this was available. Second, the material is something you pick and pay for based on quality and so more of your money goes into the materials, which all comes back to you in comfort and durability. ItтАЩs not always easy getting the proper fit with a shirt, with the proper gauge or thickness that you want and made of 100% cotton from a Western Department store. In Thailand the shirts are made to fit whatever body you are carrying around, made of the materials you want in the exact style you want (collars, cuffs, buttons, pockets) and made in a matter of a day or two.

A must add on if you are having suits made or you just want to add to your suits at home are ties from Jim Thompson. Jim Thompson has stores located all over Thailand, several in Pattaya, Bangkok and at the airport. If you are a connoisseur of good quality silk ties this is probably one of your best bets. The Outlet stores may have some ties available for as low as 800 baht, most of the rest are in the 1200 baht range with ties at the airport locations around 1880 baht. I have found the better styles are at the airport locations, but itтАЩs been 5 years since I was at Jim Thompson House (Not knowing if they have a collection there or not). They also have a great selection of shirts, shorts, womenтАЩs accessories and my favourite, silk boxers for sleeping.

Whether you are at Chakuchak Market or the Patpong you will see that Thailand has a lot of underwearтАж.especially rip off copies. One of the problems with his junk is the cotton content and the use of synthetic materials. In the tropics, itтАЩs important to stay cool especially in the groin areas or under the arms, both for comfort and so as not to attract mosquitoes with all the rain weтАЩve had this high season. 100% cotton should be your only choice. Every time I come to Bangkok I load up on cotton from Green Cotton in MBK. These folks make some of the best sheet sets I have ever owned. IтАЩve recently given these sheets away as gifts back home and now everyone wants them. They also make shirts, underwear, socks, towels, hats, slippers and all with that green cotton smell.

One thing I would never consider buying in Thailand is shoes. For some reason all their shoes are uglyтАж.albeit, some look good from a distance.

There's a few shopping tips for you!

Surfcrest

March 8th, 2011, 17:08
Speaking of shopping the number one thing on my must-buy list for Bangkok (ok, well after boys and booze) is to get a really nice handmade stainless steel cutlery set, I don't want the polished shop bought looking ones, I want the rustic handmade look. Money is not the issue, I was something unusual and cool, can anyone point me in the right direction please. Thanks Simon

March 8th, 2011, 17:56
.. the number one thing on my must-buy list.. is to get a really nice handmade stainless steel cutlery set... can anyone point me in the right direction please. Thanks Simon

Doubt it , dear - SGT queens only deal in solid silver cutlery.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
March 8th, 2011, 20:20
Speaking of shopping the number one thing on my must-buy list for Bangkok (ok, well after boys and booze) is to get a really nice handmade stainless steel cutlery set, I don't want the polished shop bought looking ones, I want the rustic handmade look. Money is not the issue, I was something unusual and cool, can anyone point me in the right direction please. Thanks Simon
I bought a heap of nice stainless steel cutlery at Chatuchak Market a couple of years ago but I don't think that's the type you're looking for.

In case no one else has any specific information, I'd start at Gaysorn Shopping Centre. It's a high-end shopping centre with LOTS of expensive design boutiques. You might find what you're looking for there. The place is interesting and worth a visit anyway.

GWMinUS
March 9th, 2011, 00:21
A number of years ago, I bought a full setting of stainless steel in Chaing Mai.
It was originally made for Thai Airways, before everyone began using plastic!!!
Found it at the actual forge after being taken there by our enterprising taxi driver!! LOL

You might look at one for the Jim Thompson stores. One on Surawong and another at the Oriental Hotel.

Good luck!!
George

Marsilius
March 9th, 2011, 00:51
Go to the river end of Silom Road and turn right. There are some good cutlery shops a short way along on the left hand side. I've bought several hundred items there over the past few years.

March 9th, 2011, 03:25
Thanks so much guys

and lol @ Scottish-Guy

pong
March 18th, 2011, 11:46
I'd start at Gaysorn Shopping Centre. It's a high-end shopping centre with LOTS of expensive design boutiques. You might find what you're looking for there. The place is interesting and worth a visit anyway.
This place-redone for about the 23th time in its short existence, only sells foreign imported label-stuff. the Hi-So shopping there, would not wish anything else-they very well know that ''made in Thailand'' is not for nothing that carabao song. or maybe thats the tipical prejudice the Thai Hi_So seem to thrive on.
Why did the reds save this place when their wrath against the ruling Amatya was so big last year? they choose the low-class big BigC just beyond-to set fire in.

Surfcrest
March 18th, 2011, 15:01
I recall seeing an artist at the Sunday street market in Chiang Mai selling a cutlery set that he had designed and made. It was a little awkward looking for a formal setting. That is pretty much the only place I've seen something like that....and yes they have a lot of generic designs in stainless steel or plated steel at Chakucak Market in Bangkok, but it would be the same as something that you might find at Sears or Walmart....and not worth the luggage weight.

You would probably do better for stainless steel in Easter Europe. I saw some nice stuff in Prague and Budapest last summer.

Beachlover
March 19th, 2011, 10:20
I'd start at Gaysorn Shopping Centre. It's a high-end shopping centre with LOTS of expensive design boutiques. You might find what you're looking for there. The place is interesting and worth a visit anyway.
This place-redone for about the 23th time in its short existence, only sells foreign imported label-stuff. the Hi-So shopping there, would not wish anything else-they very well know that ''made in Thailand'' is not for nothing that carabao song. or maybe thats the tipical prejudice the Thai Hi_So seem to thrive on.
Why did the reds save this place when their wrath against the ruling Amatya was so big last year? they choose the low-class big BigC just beyond-to set fire in.
Haha... I've only been there once with a boy I was going out with. I thought it was a pretty stunning place and there's lots of interesting shops, but you're right, it can be pretentious. It was almost completely empty when I was there but this was quite soon after the protests... went to check out the burnt out Central World and took photos in front of it nearby too.

Asians place a lot of value on imported "exotic" brands and goods. It's a sign of wealth and trustworthy quality. Even Thais themselves use the phrase "made in Thailand" as to mean low quality.

I'm surprised Gaysorn wasn't targeted by the protesters too. I have my suspicions about the Central World fire...