PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Babylon hotel?

March 6th, 2011, 22:59
Hey everyone,
I will be visiting Bangkok for the first time in April. I was considering staying at the hotel part of Babylon, as it would be close to the fun. My standards for a hotel room aren't super high. I will be in Bangkok for 5 nights.

Seem like a good idea? Would you stay there all five nights? Any thoughts are appreciated!

March 7th, 2011, 00:32
Unless you plan on spending all your time in the sauna it's not conveniently located to all that Bangkok has to offer.

ChelseaNY
March 8th, 2011, 06:55
I stayed at the hotel section for 5 days one year. I wanted to use the workout room daily. If you plan to spend most of your time at the bath house, it makes sense. The room was nice but sparse. I agree with the previous poster -- it is not convenient to most of you want to experience in BKK.

Enjoy your trip!

bucknaway
March 8th, 2011, 08:25
When I stayed at Babylon, I stayed in the Barracks portion that had the group shower. I liked staying there a lot. When I came back to the room early in the morning I would take a shower and end up meeting a Thai guy that was looking for fun.

If your only in Thailand for a short time and are looking to indulge in the gay scene than you can't do much better than staying at Babylon.

pong
March 8th, 2011, 08:40
just a cautious waring, as you say april and seem to know nothing. WHAT are the dates? Aware of Songkran, the water spalshing ''fun'' Thai new Yr-around the 14th? VERY bad time to visit this country or city. Also april is about the worst of monthes for a visit, hot very humid, but not yet rainy (you just wish those rains start falling down to cool it off)
Agree with above re this place. If you simply want a simple, cheap room -and be able to receive visitors, there are much better value places at much better locations a plenty. But when asking this, say a little more of what you want to do in this lovely city besdies visitng sauna's.

Beachlover
March 8th, 2011, 19:59
I booked to stay here once but changed plans and forfeited my booking so only been to the sauna part.

Unless you want to only eat in Babylon and stay within the compound, from Babylon you need to walk a good 5-10 min walk down a mostly residential road before you reach any shops, eateries or amenities. Skytrain/MRT stations are much further away so you'll be using taxis to get everywhere. Rooms look very basic and you can get much better rooms for that price elsewhere and better located.

If you're visiting Bangkok for the first time strongly recommend against staying here. Might be fun for 2 nights but no more than that.

colmx
March 10th, 2011, 03:53
If you like to sleep in a double bed don't syay in teh Babylon Barracks

All the rooms there have 2 x beds made from poured concrete and the beds are either at right angles to each other or are in set out in series
(ie. ┬ж and not paralell II) so are absolutely useless for sex

Also no TVs in the rooms

And i have never seen anyone but farangs in the communal shower blocks...

March 10th, 2011, 04:08
If you like to sleep in a double bed don't syay in teh Babylon Barracks

All the rooms there have 2 x beds made from poured concrete and the beds are either at right angles to each other or are in set out in series
(ie. ┬ж and not paralell II) so are absolutely useless for sex

Also no TVs in the rooms

And i have never seen anyone but farangs in the communal shower blocks...

But knocking-shops like Babylon & BB only appeal to sex-addicted sleazeballs who will revel in the spartan conditions anyway - a bit like a certain "Hotel" in Blackpool where getting gang-fucked by a gaggle of manky and repulsive strangers on the first floor landing seems to be almost compulsory.

Quite why so many gay men seem to feel a need to degrade themselves has always been a mystery to me. I guess it must be low self-esteem.

:dontknow: :dontknow:

March 10th, 2011, 21:41
Thanks for all the feedback. I think what I will day is stay there the first two nights, since I will be jetlagged. Then switch over to a better located hotel for the following nights. Appreciate all the advice!

thrillbill
March 23rd, 2011, 20:49
My Thai bf and I stayed at the Babylon Barracks for two nights in August when Babylon was having their promotion. I was always curious what it was like to stay there, so we booked a room for two nights. The standard room (which does not have a private bathroom) had a very comfortable queen size bed and a single bed on the opposite side. There was a small TV in the room - the cable channels were not clear. It was fine for us since we wanted to just relax around the pool, go to the gym and stay put until in the evening- then hit Silom. You get a free pass into the Sauna so that already saves you 260 baht; the breakfast (cooked in the kitchen) is one of the tops... BUT, I wouldn't stay there again since I prefer my own bathroom and for the price of 1700 baht, you can pick up a decent hotel in Silom area for that price (on Agoda) with your own private bathroom.

March 24th, 2011, 16:32
I booked a wotif (http://www.wotif.com) mystery deal, it was $65 AUD a night, I took the punt, i thought well if it is shit i will just book somewhere else and cop the $325 loss.

Got a room in the Dusit Thani in Silom for $65 a night, its supposed to be 5 star, I dunno if this is cheap, but as a regular on the Gold Coast (In QLD Australia)I would not get a fucking clean backpackers room for that, so I'm happy.

So how much is the Babylon ? If you wanna stay in a place that is famous for being a sex on premises sauna, I suppose stay there. If you wanna stay in a nice place, well you make your choice, I can always walk to Babylon and go back to my nice room.

I like my comfy and room service when I need it, and I guess if shit were to hit the fan (like the red shirt riots) I feel safer in a nice BIG building :)

But hey, I am a virgin Farang visitor, so i am just giving you my rationale for where I booked

Simon

tomas1
March 24th, 2011, 19:35
I have stayed in a baroness suite in Babylon. This was high standard and very comfortable. However, it still a long way to Silom area. I also found it overpriced. So now I always stay in Dusit Thani. They normally have some very good discounts. Have booked for april, directly after Songkran, 2650 bath a night. Perfect location, good service etc. I also stayed there during the red shirt riots last year, which was not so nich, as the red shirts were just at the other side of the street. Try Dusit Thani!

Beachlover
March 24th, 2011, 21:05
Got a room in the Dusit Thani in Silom for $65 a night, its supposed to be 5 star, I dunno if this is cheap...
Shit... that's a good deal. If it's their superior room, consider upgrading to the deluxe room and request a high floor overlooking Lumpini park. You get an amazing view overlooking the Bangkok skyline and the room's much nicer. I think the deluxe is usually an extra 500-1,000 baht but definitely worth it.

I think their superior rooms (unless they've refurbished recently) are old and I think they're down low on the other side of the building where you don't get any decent view.

I guess if shit were to hit the fan (like the red shirt riots) I feel safer in a nice BIG building :)
The rooms have nice solid, metal doors so you feel safe... but if I remember correct, the Dusit Thani was the only hotel to be attacked with 40mm grenade launchers during the protests. A couple hit the side of the building and they put everyone in the basement for the night!

as a regular on the Gold Coast (In QLD Australia)I would not get a fucking clean backpackers room for that, so I'm happy.
Accommodation in Australia is flipping expensive... when I take my BF away for a night or two, I either have to pay $150-$250 for a little B&B somewhere, or if I want a nice hotel, it's $350-$450/night for a basic 4-star hotel. F*ck me dead...

March 26th, 2011, 09:57
Hey Beachlover

If you come to Australia defiantly look up your accommodation on Wotif. I have been using them your years now and pick up good accommodation at the gold coast, Sydney, Melbourne from 100 to 150 a night.

My recommendations for Australia, if anyone is interested in reasonable priced accommodation (they may not be all new and flash, but safe, clean and in a good spot).

Goldcoast: Break free Cosmopolitan, note, it is in the 'party zone' so can be a bit noisy.

Sydney: Travellodge, Wentworth Avenue , this is just around the corner from all the happening gay scene and a number of saunas (if thats your thing)

Melbourne: Victoria Hotel, Little Collins Street, best value for money hotel in a prime CBD location

I travel a lot around Australia with work , so if anyone wants recommendations for other cities, or if you are looking for somthing a but more classy, just ask

Regards

Simon

(I have no affiliation with wotif,and I am not a travel agent, I am just a satisfied customer)

Beachlover
March 27th, 2011, 22:26
Hey SimonAU,

Thanks for the suggestions. I live in Australia (Sydney). I've been booking direct with the hotels but cross-check with Wotif from now on. Mainly just 1-2 night getaways with my BF.

Sydney: Travellodge, Wentworth Avenue , this is just around the corner from all the happening gay scene and a number of saunas (if thats your thing)
If you like the Travelodge on Wentworth, you may also like the http://www.cambridgehotel.com.au/ ... it's closer to Oxford St and only 3-4 blocks from the Travelodge.